Chapter Five

The Black Rose

Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/jaithep/coffee-prince-thai-in-the


             Coffee is, most certainly, Jenny and Minzy's favorite drink in the world. During weekends, they would often go to cafes in Paris for cups and cups of coffee. This was all true until that day came. The day that until now, they can't talk openly with each other. It was like an unspoken secret between the two of them. With Jenny suddenly wanting to go to every cafe in Seoul, it made Minzy very worried. Yesterday, she assumed, is the first time in three months that Jenny decided to taste coffee once again. She actually thought about calling her yesterday when Jenny told her that she and Dae Sung decided to try this new coffee flavor that the cafe was offering but soon realized that she was starting to become paranoid. What harm would a simple coffee do to her bestfriend? After all, this is a part of what they were here for, Jenny rediscovering her old self. 

              Jenny, who was now on her second cup of coffee, looked at her bestfriend reassuringly. She knows how worried Minzy is even though she doesn't normally show it. She had made a promise to herself before she came here in Seoul that she will try to remember everything that she used to do before the unspeakable happened.


Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/mary-joy-villaespin/shine-rooftop-prince-ost-gilgu


            There were a lot of creatively made graffiti in the streets of Hongdae. Jenny suddenly wished she brought her camera with her. She never thought she'd have any interest in photography again but the place was teeming with art, which made them irresistible. She promised herself she would go back to Hongdae just so that she could capture its beauty with her lens. She looked at her cousin and Minzy who were scanning every art stand they passed by, while arguing whether they should buy or not. They came across a stall selling hand painted shoes. Minzy looked back at her and gestured for her to come closer. "Jenny, look at all these beautifully painted shoes. We should each buy a pair!" urged Minzy. "I used to buy a lot of things from here back in my college days! Honestly, it's been a long time since I've been here," reminisced Seung Yoon who picked up a pair of shoes with a colorful hip design painted on it. "You know, I suggest we go here often. Let's bring Dae Sung along so as to keep Seung Yoon sane," teased Minzy. Somehow, this remark, though it would have made Seung Yoon irritated, made him smile.

            After all the shopping and sight-seeing they've done, they decided to eat at one of the pojangmachas, or better known as street stalls. "Oh my gosh Jenny! I only see these places on the dramas that we watch. I may be Korean but, having lived in Paris almost all my life, I tend to see all of these only on TV or on my PC. This is making me excited!" squealed Minzy delightfully.  Seung Yoon who had been trying to know this girl secretly just shook his head at her unexpected fascination of everything Korean. "A Korean fascinated by something... Korean. Well, that's weird," thought Seung Yoon. Nonetheless, he still finds her charming and quite different than the other girls he used to go out with. Unknown to Minzy, her frankness has earned her a heart that is ready to know her more and embrace every little thing about her. "How about we try their tteokbokki and sundae? And maybe add soju with those," eagerly suggested Jenny. "That would be good. Just don't drink too much soju. In case you've forgotten, I am the only guy with you. That means, I'm the only one who's going to drag you two home if you both get drunk," said Seung Yoon. "Don't worry Seung Yoon! We do drink but not that much," assured Minzy. 

               

              "Seung Yoon!!!!!!" screamed Minzy who was walking rather wobbly beside Seung Yoon. Jenny on the other hand, was feeling a bit dizzy but nonetheless, she was fine. Seung Yoon wanted to clasp a hand around Minzy's mouth but decided to just keep an eye on her while making glances at his cousin who is also beside him. All of a sudden, Minzy started sitting on the sidewalk. Seung Yoon immediately tried pulling her up but she just shooed him off saying she needs to take a rest thinking they've been walking for a long time. "You're drunk! C'mon! Just hop up on my back. We need to get a taxi so we can go home," insisted Seung Yoon. Minzy, at first, just stared blankly at his crouched figure in front of her but, somehow, understood him after a while and started to climb on his back. Turning his attention towards his cousin who was standing beside him, he asked, "Are you okay couz?" 

              "I am okay couz. Just feeling a bit dizzy. We need to hurry home." 

              "Yes. We need to. Let's just walk a little bit further and maybe we'll be able to hail a taxi."

             Jenny smiled at the sight of her cousin giving her bestfriend a piggyback ride. Though this scene is giving her a bitter feeling, she tried to remind herself that she was here for a purpose. No matter how much a memory may hurt her in the process, she has to bear with it. And all those questions surfacing one by one in her mind, she believes, will be answered in due time. Right now, the best thing for her to do is to live in the moment.