Chapter Nine

The Black Rose

Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/darkdramas-1/tae-yeon-that-winter-the-wind


                  Before Jenny could reach the door, the man in the gray hoodie swiftly crossed the street and blended in with the walking crowd. Jenny had her eyes fixated on the man while she was running so as to assure herself that he is not a figment of her imagination. She saw where he disappeared to and was determined to follow him when she felt someone grab her by the arm. She did not dare turn around because she doesn't want to lose sight of the man but it looked like he knew well enough how to blend in with the crowd because no matter how Jenny kept track of him, she still lost him. 

                "Couz... where are you going?" asked Seung Yoon who kept a firm grasp of her arm, willing her to turn around. "I lost him," said Jenny without paying any attention to him. "Lost who?" he asked as he scanned the streets outside. Seung Yoon then stood in front of her, blocking her view. She looked up at him, their eyes finally meeting. "Is there something I need to know?" he asked quite indignantly. "You might think I'm at a shade here but I can feel that there's something wrong with you. I just don't know what it is but I'll make sure I find out. Is that the reason why you came here to Seoul all of a sudden?" he whispered. Just then, tears started to fall on Jenny's eyes, her weakness betraying her. Seeing that this was the only answer she could give him now, Seung Yoon embraced his cousin letting her cry in his arms.

                 Dae Sung and Minzy stopped just a few feet away from where Seung Yoon and Jenny were. "What is this? What is happening?" asked Dae Sung confusedly, turning to face Minzy who was silently crying beside him. "Are you okay? Why are you..." he trailed off just as Minzy hugged him. Dae Sung just laid his questions to rest knowing that sooner or later, he'll be in the light. He glanced at Minzy once and then at Jenny. They need to sort this out, once and for all. 

 

                No one spoke on their way back home. Dae Sung's mind was on Jenny who cried herself to sleep. He looked at the rear view mirror and saw that Minzy fell asleep too. Seung Yoon, on the other hand, was staring outside, his mind far away. He then looked at Jenny who was sleeping beside him and wiped her cheeks dry. "You must be hurting," he thought to himself, as if speaking to her directly. The rest of the journey became a journey full of questions for the two guys. 

 

                 "We're here," announced Dae Sung. He gently woke Jenny up with Seung Yoon following suit. Minzy came out from the car drowsily. Seung Yoon followed her behind, assisting her along the way. Jenny slowly opened her eyes and took in her surroundings. She clutched at her heart, it was still hurting. Dae Sung watched as tears started to fall once again on Jenny's eyes and it suddenly hurt him seeing her like this. "I'm sorry... I'm sorry you have to see me like this," said Jenny in between sobs. Dae Sung reached out his hand and wiped her tears dry, "When you're ready, you can always tell me." Jenny smiled through her tears. "C'mon now... it's getting really late," informed Dae Sung. Jenny went out of the car followed by Dae Sung. They were saying their goodbyes when he suddenly remembered something, "Oh, I almost forgot! Wait for me here. I'm just going to get it." He ran back to the car and retrieved the painting. "You almost forgot this," showing her the painting, still inside its box. "Can you help me bring that inside?" she asked. "Of course," agreed Dae Sung. 

 

 

              Jenny couldn't sleep that night. She sat up in bed and looked at Minzy. She was sleeping soundlessly beside her. She looked at the box sitting on the corner, still unopened. She quietly went towards it and opened it. She sat there on the floor, just staring at the painting, when a memory flashed before her. 

             She peeked into a room full of blank canvas and paintings scattered on every corner. He didn't see her because his back was on her. He was painting once again, this time it was of a place she recognized, the cafe where they first met. She smiled as she saw this.

             A teardrop fell on the surface of the painting. Jenny didn't realize the tears that came along with the memory. It hurt her to remember anything about him, about them. She had tried for so long to suppress the memories but they kept on resurfacing one by one. She silently cried until the pain subsided. Minzy slowly opened her eyes, glanced at her bestfriend once, and closed her eyes again, all the while feeling Jenny's pain.