Chapter Thirty Eight

The Black Rose

Background Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1u49UNLxEc


          Seung Hyun slept all throughout the ride back home. He sat beside Ji Yong, avoiding Jenny. Though a bit confused, she decided not to ask or even argue with him because she couldn't even bear to look at him. She was not yet ready to lose him. She closed her eyes as she fell into a dreamless slumber.

 

 

          Screeech. Jenny slowly opened her eyes, searched her lap with her hands, and found that her notebook was not there. She suddenly sat up straight, her eyes widening. She then searched the bottom of her seat but to no avail. Suddenly, she felt a hand on her shoulder. She glanced sideways and saw her notebook. Without thinking, she grabbed it and bowed several times in gratitude to the stranger. She did not bother to look up and see who it was. 

          As the stranger walked down the aisle towards the open door, Jenny caught sight of his back. "Seung Hyun!" she blurted out. She hurriedly gathered her things and was about to stand up when the bus started to move. She looked out the window and saw the man glance up at her. It was not Seung Hyun. He then gave a slight bow and smiled as he disappeared in sight.

         Without her knowing, tears started to fall down her cheeks. She sat down slowly, avoiding the curious stares directed at her by the other passengers. She hugged her notebook tightly as she stared out the window. "I miss you so much Seung Hyun..."

 


          Background Music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uMKA5tBZY8 


My dearest Bom,

 

If you're reading this, then Minzy has fulfilled her promise to me. She loves you so much that even though she hated me because of what I had done to you, she still patiently helped me build what you now see in front of you.

Please don't cry. I know you're going to cry again but please don't. :( 

I named this art gallery 'Mémoire de Printemps' (Memory of Spring). It is an art gallery only for you but... I would be most happy if a lot of people, especially our good friends in Seoul and Paris, could know of its existence. I wanted to promote the restaurant as well that was why I put it in a room inside it. Hehehe... just kidding! :) It was the closest place to my house, and it was unused anyway, so. :)

          

                          

                        

                           

                            

                              

                            

                  

                

 

Do you remember where you were specifically in those artworks?

I know you're wondering how I have created all of those. I was actually shocked when I bumped into you at Hongdae. I got anxious after running away from you, after helping you up. I was scared that you might have recognized me. I was about to throw away the hoodie I wore that day but... I missed you so much that I deliberately used it while I secretly follow you every single day that you went out, even though it was against the doctor's orders and Mr. Chung's. :) I guess I wanted you to see me and remember me as the guy in the gray hoodie who stalked you although, I was trying my best to hide myself. Are you getting confused already? Haha! :D So am I...

I would always ask Mr. Chung to drive me in front of your cousin's house every morning. We would patiently wait for you until the sun sets.  But as time went on, my health slowly deteriorated. We came there less and less. I was always happy whenever we would chance upon you going out of the house because then, I get to see you... I get to see you happy, enjoying yourself, enjoying Korea.

 

You know, I never thought that you would get interested in one of my paintings. When I came back from Paris, I couldn't stay away from my hobby. I asked Mr. Chung to sell my paintings in my behalf to several known art shops in Hongdae but it was only Mr. Kim who accepted my artworks. He even told Mr. Chung that he would get no profit from the sales of my paintings after learning that I was sick with cancer. I changed my signature to Mark just so that I could stay unknown. I would always advise Mr. Chung to be cautious and wary whenever he would deliver art pieces to Mr. Kim's cafe.

That painting you bought has a sad, deep meaning. That black rose actually symbolizes a dying love. I was thinking about us when I painted it. It clearly depicted my desperation and inevitable death... my loss of belief in hope, love, and life. 

I may never know what brought you to buy that gloomy artwork of mine but I am thankful for that fateful day when I saw you up close once again. I'm sorry if I acted cold towards you. :( It was because I wanted you to hate me. I wanted you to see me as a bad guy who has taken you for granted. I wanted you to feel that I have already moved on. 

But you know what, I really wanted to hold your face. I wanted to come out of the car and hug you tightly. I wanted to give you a kiss to assure you that I still love you. I guess I was too selfish, and sick, during that time. I don't want you to know the real reason why I suddenly left you in the first place.

 

Now, before my letter becomes a novel, please follow the instructions that I am going to tell you right now.

(1) Do you see the cabinet by the entrance? Please open the first drawer to your right. Do you see anything? Of course you won't see anything there because my surprise is at the next drawer. Hahaha! :D Are you mad already? I know you are but please do just as I say. Please...:)

(2) Now... do you see the key? Pick it up and go to the room to your far left. Try the knob. Is it closed? Of course it is because you have the key. Now now... before you get mad again, please open the door.

(3) Is it open now? :) What do you see? Haha! :D I am not playing a trick on you. I do know that you're in the storeroom right now. Please look for a pink box for me, then let's talk afterwards.

(4) No peeking at the next instruction! You're not fooling me. :D

(5) What did I tell you? No peeking! Now look for my box! :D

(6) Is it in your hands now? You may open it.

(7) My angel, I want you to read only a page of the notebook each day as you listen to a specific song on the playlist that I have specifically added on the iPod. Do not put the songs on shuffle, okay?

 

I will always be with you. I love you always... my first and last love.

 

Seung Hyun