Chapter Thirty Three

The Black Rose

         All throughout dinner, everyone was silent. Jenny decided to stay with Seung Hyun, urging Minzy to go home instead and take a rest. Seung Yoon found this as an opportunity to finally have a serious talk with Minzy. Dae Sung, on the other hand, did not want to leave Jenny behind. He then decided to just get some clothes for him and Jenny, and then come back. 

 

         Uncle Dong Wook and Aunt Soo Jin were already home when Minzy and their son arrived. They invited the two to join them for a late dinner but they declined as they already felt full. Minzy went straight to her room after having some chit chat with Aunt Soo Jin. Seeing this, Seung Yoon immediately excused himself, lying to his father about taking a shower. He then knocked on the door of Minzy's room as quietly as he could so as not to arouse any suspicion from his parents. Minzy unsuspectingly opened the door, thinking it was Aunt Soo Jin.


Background Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqLKW5NRsD4


          "Seung Yoon...," she trailed off, surprised.

          "Can we talk?" he asked coldly.

       Minzy paused, unsure of herself. She knew that one of these days, she would have to face him because she owed him an explanation for everything she had done. And she also knew that she must try hard to make him understand that she only wanted to protect her bestfriend. But...

          "Not now Seung Yoon. I-"

          "What? Not ready? Tired? If I were Dae Sung, would you talk to me now?" he shouted, loud enough for his parents to hear him.

          "What?! Are you out of your mind?" responded Minzy who was caught off-guard.

         "Yes! I am out of my mind! I am out of my mind because of you!" answered Seung Yoon back, his face reddening from both shame and fury.

         Minzy was speechless, trying hard to process whatever she had heard. On the other hand, Aunt Soo Jin and Uncle Dong Wook stopped what they were doing and was staring up at the balcony, both confused as to what was happening.

         "Why don't you try, for once, to open your eyes and look around you? You're so focused on the view in front of you that you tend to forget about the gentle wind blowing through your hair; the wind who was trying to get your attention; the wind whom you chose to ignore because you cannot see him," he paused, trying to hold back the tears which were starting to well up in his eyes, and then continued, "I'm tired... and whatever your reason was for doing what you did doesn't really matter because I have already forgiven you."

         He then started to slowly walk off to his room, leaving Minzy frozen by the door. He lost all energy to hold back his tears. He could not hide it any longer. He was crying as he walked, and Minzy could hear him. With the sudden silence, Seung Yoon's parents looked at each other and decided not to meddle with their son's affairs. They both understood what their son was going through and giving him space was enough to show him they care. If he wanted to open up to them, he would have told them sooner. 

 

 

          "I brought your clothes," informed Dae Sung as he sat beside Jenny. They were in the Choi's garden, in an area overlooking a small pond. Jenny had been quiet ever since dinner. Dae Sung looked at her, searching for any sign of tears but there was none. Her eyes were blank, it was as if she was not really there. He looked out into the dark pond as he started to speak, unable to hold in his emotions, "I'm sorry... i'm sorry that this is all I can do for you, to lookout for you. I know this is Minzy's role in your life but... I hope you'd allow me to do this for you. Because... because this is the only way I can be with you." Jenny turned to him slowly, willing him to look at her so that he could see how grateful she was to have met someone like him and also make him understand that she liked him but not enough to make her love him. She tried to speak but words couldn't come out from . It was as if she was frozen, locked up inside, that she could no longer reach out to him.

          "I love you Jenny. Being with you, just like this, already makes me happy even though I know that I could never have your heart... not in this lifetime," he confessed, still not looking at her.

 

 

          Seung Hyun smiled sadly seeing Jenny and Dae Sung together. He has finally awoken and was looking out through his room's window which was overlooking the garden. Mr. Chung, who was guarding him, was insisting on calling Jenny to immediately tell her the good news but he strongly declined having thought that she was already resting.

           "Bom... I'm glad that you met someone like him. And I'm sorry that he'll have to carry on the promise that I won't be able to keep, that is to make you happy," he whispered to himself as he looked on, speaking to her as if she was right in front of him.