Chapter Sixteen

The Black Rose

Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/back-to-classic/yiruma-kiss-the-rain


            After Minzy finally had the chance to meet Seung Hyun, the three of them had been meeting each other every weekend for coffee at their favorite cafe. Seung Hyun had also asked for Jenny's phone number a few days after their little adventure on top of the Eiffel Tower. He would often call to ask whether she would be passing by the cafe for dinner or whether she and Minzy would meet up with him that weekend. This was true until he suddenly stopped communicating. That week, Jenny got agitated and tried to call him every hour or so everyday, but to no avail. She also faithfully visited the cafe, not missing a day, after office hours just to see whether Seung Hyun was there waiting, but he was not there. She would also ask the waiters at the cafe if he had left any notes for her, but there was none. She was worried for him but she didn't know where he lived or where his shop was located. She could only rely on the phone number he'd been using to contact her, but he was not answering.

             The week was almost over and still, there was no call from Seung Hyun. It was already twelve o'clock. Jenny had been waiting for a text from Seung Hyun that whole Saturday morning but she hadn't received any. Having assumed that they still wouldn't be seeing each other that day, she called up Minzy. The two decided to meet each other at the cafe for an afternoon of coffee and a long chat. 

 

              Jenny and Minzy lazily sat by their favorite spot, talking about all the things that transpired during the week and of course, the missing Seung Hyun. "Did he call you Minzy?" Jenny asked her bestfriend. "No, he didn't," Minzy replied as she sipped her coffee. "And why would he in the first place? It's not like he had contacted me before," she added. "Did something happen to him?" Jenny asked Minzy worriedly. "I hope not. Wait... why are you being like this?! Just because the guy didn't contact you doesn't give you the license to get all crazy," said Minzy. "He hadn't contacted me for a week, Minzy... for a week!" she emphasized. "So? Jenny... don't you think he...," trailed off Minzy, searching for the right words to say. Just then, Minzy saw Seung Hyun pass by outside the cafe, but he's not alone. She turned to Jenny hoping she could divert her attention from what she might see outside, but she was already too late.

            Jenny stared as Seung Hyun and his companion talk animatedly and happily. He didn't bother to glance at the cafe and just continued on his way. Jenny grabbed her phone and tried to call Seung Hyun. She saw how he fished for his phone and checked who the caller was, but decided to just ignore the call and put back the phone in his pocket. Jenny felt angry and was about to storm out of the cafe and follow after Seung Hyun and the girl but then realized she has no right to neither get mad nor dictate who he should or shouldn't see. Minzy saw her bestfriend's face slowly turn red in anger and jealousy. "Jenny... calm down," she said as she held her bestfriend's free hand. Jenny then turned her gaze towards Minzy and tried to search her face for answers, but she knew she had none. She breathe deeply and spoke, "I know that I am just a friend to him, an acquaintance to be exact." Minzy remained silent, urging her bestfriend to go on. "But he is special to me, though he doesn't seem to sense it. I just thought...," she trailed off, shaking her head from side to side. "I just thought he had started to feel the same because we had been going out for a few months now, and he even befriended you," continued Jenny. "Are you sure you see each other to date? Had he somehow been dropping hints that you two are 'dating'?" Minzy asked without pause. "He... he didn't say anything," she said and gave out a loud sigh. "I guess I hoped too much," she added. "No Jenny. You assumed too much," said Minzy, correcting her. Jenny suddenly lost all her energy. She thought she'd finally be happy. 

 

              Minzy decided to sleep over Jenny's house that night. As they were eating dinner, Jenny's phone rang. She glanced once at it and ignored the call. "Who was it?" asked her mom. "Someone not worth my time," said Jenny, eating a spoonful of rice. Mrs. Park looked at Minzy wide-eyed. She knew something was wrong, but as to what it was all about, she was not sure. Jenny's phone kept on ringing the entire dinner time and it annoyed her to the point that she decided to turn it off completely. Minzy's phone then started to ring right after Jenny turned hers off. She was about to answer the call when she saw Jenny giving her a warning look. "It's not who you think it is dear. Don't I have any right to receive calls now?" lied Minzy. Jenny let her off and she hurriedly went outside the house where Jenny won't be able to hear her.

              "Hello? Seung Hyun?" answered Minzy.

              "Minzy... is Bom with you? I can't seem to reach her," said Seung Hyun breathily, as if he was running for hours.

              "Yes she is, but you really won't be able to reach her because you have some explaining to do," she said accusingly.

              "What explaining?" he then answered, clueless.

              Minzy suddenly clasped a hand around and lightly pounded her head in dismay. "Oh... um... nothing. I just had too much to think about these days. I might have jumbled up things. Sorry 'bout that," she said without pause. "Oh... okay. Then, could I talk with Bom? Could you hand her the phone, please?" begged Seung Hyun. "I'm sorry but... Jenny's not feeling well. She's...," she trailed off just as Jenny started calling her name loudly by the dining room. "Minzy! Minzy! Do you want blueberry cheesecake?" shouted Jenny. "Not feeling well, eh?" said Seung Hyun on the other end, clearly recognizing Jenny's voice. "I... oh... okay... you got me. She doesn't want to talk to you," she surrendered. "Why?" he asked, worry evident in his voice now. "I think you two should talk face-to-face. Tomorrow would be a good idea," suggested Minzy. "I'm outside her house," said Seung Hyun. "What?! Wait...," she said as she walked towards the gate. She peeked through the shadows and saw him standing by the lamp post. "How did you know?" curiously asked Minzy. "I have been following her home ever since," he said matter-of-factly. "Ever since?! Like when was this?" she inquired. "Ever since I observed she was walking home all alone from the cafe late at night," he answered honestly. Minzy ended the call upon hearing this and went outside to meet him. "You have been walking her home without her knowing," she said. He just smiled at her, but then worry started to spread on his face once more as he suddenly remembered what Minzy said a while ago. "Wait... why doesn't Bom want to talk to me?" he asked. 


Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/kikuro/316-all-about-you


              Jenny peeked at the living room to see whether Minzy was finished talking on the phone and found that she was not there. She then went outside, hoping she was there by the door, but found no one. She was about to go back inside and search the rooms instead when she saw two figures talking by the lamp post across the house. She crept towards the gate, wondering who they might be, and saw Seung Hyun and Minzy now illuminated by the lamp post. 

             Minzy started on her way back inside the house, thinking of what excuse to give Jenny so that she would accompany her to the cafe where Seung Hyun would be waiting for them, when she suddenly stopped a few feet away from the gate. Jenny was hiding in the shadows, observing them. Minzy started to walk briskly towards her. Seeing this, Jenny started to run. Seung Hyun saw Jenny run back inside the house. Minzy looked back at him once and then quickly went back inside. He decided to just wait in front of the house, hoping Minzy could coax her into talking to him. 

             Half an hour passed and still, there was no text from Minzy. He tried to contact her but she was not answering. He tried Jenny's too, but it was still turned off. He was getting hungry, having been there since dinnertime. He looked at his watch, eight o'clock. He leaned on the lamp post, still waiting and hoping that Jenny will come out and talk to him. Just then, Jenny appeared by the gate, slowly making her way towards where he was. He straightened up and smiled at her, but she did not return his smile. She stopped a feet away from him with arms crossed over her chest. 

             "Bom... I, ah... Thank you," Seung Hyun stuttered, completely at a loss for words.

             "What are you doing here?" asked Jenny sternly.

            Seung Hyun let out a sigh. "You weren't answering my calls. You even turned off your phone. Why do you think I'll come all the way here?" he answered, frustration evident in his voice. Jenny thought for a while how he could have possibly known where she lived despite not bothering to walk her home everytime they met at the cafe, but then shoved it off. Minzy hadn't told her anything just yet. "Just go home, will you?" she said a bit rudely and started to walk back to the house. 

           Seung Hyun watched her go, but then realized he can't let her leave just like that, not knowing what really happened. He ran after her and grabbed her arm, stopping her on her tracks. "What's going on? Why are you being like this?!" he asked, his voice starting to rise. "It's none of your business!" she shouted back, not turning around. He then stood in front of her, not letting go of her arm. "Is it because I haven't contacted you nor answered all your calls this week?" he asked as he lowered down his voice. "I'm sorry Bom... I'm sorry. I had a lot of things to think about this week. I also have been meeting with a few art buyers," he explained as he let go of her arm. "You could've at least informed me that you're going to be busy. I've been...," she trailed off, realizing she almost told him what she really felt about him. "Go home. Your girlfriend might get mad at you," she said as she pushed him aside, passing by him as she continued on her way. 

             "Girlfriend?!" wondered Seung Hyun loudly. 

             "That girl you were 'happily' walking with this afternoon by the cafe," answered Jenny sarcastically, not stopping to look at him.

             "Oh... her.  She's an art buyer. We just came from the shop when we passed by the cafe," he answered coolly.

            Jenny paused upon hearing this, her face beginning to turn red from anger and jealousy. "An art buyer? Really?" she asked, trying to hold back the anger from showing on her voice. Seung Hyun sensed this even though she tried hard to suppress it. He walked towards her. He held her face, willing her to look at him. Her eyes betrayed her as the bitter tears started to fall. Seung Hyun was surprised to see her crying. "Why are you crying?" he asked her naively. Jenny looked away, brushing his hands from her face. A look of hurt painted across his face. Jenny walked a few steps forward and paused for a few seconds beside him. "You are so insensitive," she whispered angrily.

            Just then, Seung Hyun grabbed her by the arm, pushed her a bit to the side so that she could face him, and grabbed a hold of her neck and gently kissed her lips. Jenny, though surprised by what he did, slowly closed her eyes.

          This is what Seung Hyun had been thinking about all week, whether he wanted to take their friendship to the next level. He needed time away from her in order to sort things out. He knew deep inside that he just can't keep on hiding his heart from her. But he was not sure how she felt about him. He doesn't want to risk their friendship for something that's unsure. He was actually already happy that he was given the chance to meet her and be her friend, but he feared that someone greater than him might come and snatch her away from him. 

            Seung Hyun then inched away from her and whispered, "I love you Bom... from the first time I saw you, I already knew."

 

          By the window at Jenny's room, two figures were huddled together behind the curtains. Minzy and Mrs. Park watched, holding each other's hands, as they squealed silently in happiness.