Chapter Nineteen

The Black Rose

 

        Knock... knock... knock...

 


Background Music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQkasuCIqcU


               Jenny slowly opened her eyes. The room was starting to get filled with the beautiful morning light flowing through the glass door leading to the terrace. She got up and walked towards it, pushing aside the white luminescent curtains to reveal an ethereal view of the Eiffel Tower. 

 

         Knock... knock... knock... 

 

                 She had completely forgotten all about the knocking on the door that woke her up in the first place. She then proceeded to open it, not looking at the peep hole to see who it might be. It was as if she was expecting someone. 

                 "Good morning my beautiful daughter!" happily greeted Mrs. Park.

                 "Good morning Mom!" greeted Jenny back, kissing her on the cheek as she did so.

                 "Good morning to the most beautiful bride on the planet!" greeted Minzy.

                 "And good morning to you too!" said Jenny, stifling a laugh.  

             The trio then went inside the room. Mrs. Park decided to call on room service so that they could have breakfast together. During breakfast, they got to talk about the fuss that wedding preparations bring about, marriage, petty fights, children, and of course, the groom. At this, Mrs. Park began to cry. "My Bom Bom... I can't believe you grew up so fast! You've grown up to be a fine young lady," she said in between sobs. Jenny hugged her mother just as her own tears started to fall. "I love you Mom... I will always be your little girl, that's a promise," she said.

               Minzy cried as she saw this scene unfolding before her very eyes. She didn't want to cry a river, especially on this kind of day, prompting her to remind the two that they already needed to take a bath as the makeup and wardrobe team will arrive in about an hour or two.

              "Let's go Auntie. Jenny, we'll be back after an hour together with my parents," said Minzy as she gave her bestfriend a tight hug. As soon as Minzy and Mrs. Park left for their rooms, Jenny went straight to the bathroom to have a nice warm bath. She needed it to calm herself down before her big day officially starts.

 


Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/anna13807/park-bom-you-and-i-robotaki


            Jenny sat in front of the beautiful mirror. She could see that the room was bustling with people- her mother, on one corner, having her makeup done; Mrs. Gong beside her, having her hair done first; Mr. Gong beside his wife, talking to a hair stylist about what kind of look he wanted to have; Andre, a photography enthusiast and is Minzy's neighbor crush whom her bestfriend decided to just stay friends with, acting as one of the official photographers since she and Seung Hyun decided to not hire professional ones because they were costly; two of Andre's friends who serve as the filming team; and finally the prep team, which was composed of more or less six people.

              As she looked on the other side of the room, she saw her bestfriend doing her own makeup. She caught Jenny staring at her through the mirror. Minzy approached her bestfriend and put both her hands on her shoulders. "Don't worry Jenny... everything will go as planned," she reassured her bestfriend. She then gave her a gentle squeeze on her shoulders and slowly let go, allowing the bride's prep team to finally start on Jenny's hair and makeup.

 

            Meanwhile, Seung Hyun was also in the same hotel but with a different prep and documenting team. His photographer was one of his trusted clients, who volunteered to shoot his wedding for him as a gift, while the one filming the whole event was none other than the girl whom Jenny saw with him by the cafe that day when he admitted what he really felt about her. Compared to Jenny's, there were very few people in his room- there was his best man, Ji Yong, who flew all the way from Korea for him along with Seung Hyun's old nanny, who became his second mother after both of his parents died in a car accident when he was still in middle school, and some of his client friends and neighbors whom he got close with during the first few years of his stay in Paris. Sadly, Mr. Chung, the family driver who served as the groom's second father since the accident happened, couldn't come because of responsibilities he couldn't leave behind. He had the house to look after to, which will be left under the care of the maids if he would go, and the family restaurant left behind by Seung Hyun's parents for their son.

            Seung Hyun got more nervous as his prep team started to put on his coat and fixed his hair once more before heading to the church. Knowing that he was being filmed, he shook off his nervousness for a while and smiled for the cameras, giving a two thumbs up as he did so. Everyone then started packing up. Seung Hyun, on the other hand, walked slowly towards the window to take a look at the majestic Eiffel Tower for one last time.

 

            Minzy was waiting for Jenny before the grand staircase at the hotel's lobby. This is where they all agreed, at the last minute, Jenny would be filmed as she goes down from it.

            Jenny and her mother were left alone inside the room after Andre, and his team of two, headed first towards the hotel's lobby. She heard that the others had left for the church, as well as Seung Hyun, who left together with his best man and his old nanny.

           Mrs. Park led her daughter towards the closed glass door and spun her around. Jenny seemed to shimmer brightly as the soft light touched her wedding dress. "You are very beautiful my princess!" she exclaimed, holding back the tears. "If your father could see you right now, I know he wouldn't want to give you away," she added. Jenny smiled upon hearing this. She then held her mother's hands. They were soft, reminding her of how these same hands held hers when she was little. "If Dad could see you now, I know he'll be speechless. You are far more beautiful than I am, Mom. I thank God that He had given me someone like you to be my mother," she said warmly. "I know Dad could see us now. Perhaps, he's laughing at us right now because we're both on the verge of tears. And I know... I know he'll be there with us later, walking with us down the aisle. He wouldn't want to miss his daughter's wedding now, would he?" she jokingly added.

 

            Jenny stood before the staircase. She glanced at her mother once, then she let go of her daughter's hand. Jenny set one foot forward and looked down from where she was. Minzy had both of her hands clasped over , she was crying. While Andre and his team were capturing her every move from the bottom steps. She took one more step and realized that she was shaking. She started to close her eyes and imagined her husband-to-be smiling at her as she was getting nearer, patiently waiting for her down the aisle. She then took a deep breath, opened her eyes, and continued on her way. She smiled at the cameras, thinking to herself, "This is how it's going to be like later. I can do this! After all, this is what I have been waiting for ever since that first kiss... to make a promise of love with the man I cherish the most."

 

 

            The bridal car stopped in front of the main entrance of the church. Jenny looked at the doors and saw that they were closed just as planned. They were to be opened only when it's the bride's turn to walk down the aisle. Minzy got out of the car first to tell everyone inside to get ready. As soon as Minzy left, Jenny's heart started to race, her palms became sweaty, and she started to feel butterflies in her stomach. She felt dizzy, forcing her to close her eyes. She then felt her mother's hand on her arm. Somehow, its warmth calmed her down, reassuring her that everything's going to be fine.


Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/butterfly858/music-if-you-love-me-music-box-sad-love-story-mp3


           Twenty minutes have already passed and still, no one from inside the church had come out to call on them to get ready for the bridal march. The driver then volunteered to look for Minzy, as well as check whether everything was going well. As he was getting ready to get out of the car, Jenny suddenly saw Ji Yong dart from the side of the church towards the car parking area. 

            She clutched at her necklace. It has the Eiffel Tower as the pendant. It was given to her by Seung Hyun exactly a month ago. Since then, she had been wearing it as a reminder of him and his love. She then hurriedly got out of the car despite the protest of her mother. She hurriedly walked towards Ji Yong, clutching on her wedding gown and bouquet as she did so. But before she could reach him, Minzy suddenly appeared. She came out from the same side of the church as Ji Yong. "Minzy!" Jenny called out to her. Minzy turned around in surprise and ran towards her, blocking her view of Ji Yong.

            "What is going on?!" she asked Minzy, panic evident in her voice now. 

            "Calm down Jenny... calm down. Everything's o...,"

           "Okay?! Do I look stupid to you?! I had been waiting inside the car for the past twenty minutes and then I suddenly see the best man running from the church like someone was after him! Just tell me what the hell is going on!" shouted Jenny, nearing hysteria.

          Minzy hugged her bestfriend as she said, "Seung Hyun's missing." Upon hearing this, Jenny lost hold of her bridal bouquet. Her knees started to weaken, her head started to spin, and then she lost all consciousness. The driver, who had been watching from the side of the car, ran towards the two along with Mrs. Park, who immediately ran out of the car upon seeing her daughter lose her balance. 

 

         After several minutes, Jenny came back into consciousness. She took in her surroundings and realized that she was, once again, inside the bridal car. She glanced at her sides and saw her mother on her right and her maid of honor at her left. She looked at the church and saw that the doors were still closed. She breathed a sigh of relief. It was all just a dream. She straightened up from her seat and said, "Was I sleeping that long? Were you all waiting for me to wake up? I'm sorry I dozed off. Let's go... let's start the ceremony." Everyone stayed unusually silent. Just then, her phone sounded off. Mrs. Park fished for her daughter's phone inside her purse and handed it to her. It was a text message from her groom. 

 

       "My angel...I hope you could forgive me. Maybe not today nor tomorrow, but someday. I know you will...I love you, always and forever."

 

           Confusion started to spread across Jenny's face. "What is this?!" she asked, on the verge of tears. She tried calling Seung Hyun, but the number seemed to be not working anymore. She tried and tried, but to no avail. She looked at Minzy, then at her mother. Mrs. Park hugged her daughter. Minzy got out of the car and met Ji Yong who just came from the car parking area where he last searched for Seung Hyun. "He's... not... there either," he said breathlessly. "Maybe if we look over th...," he trailed off. Minzy shook her head at him and Ji Yong understood, it's over.