Chapter Twenty Four

The Black Rose

Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/ost-forever/instrumental-playful-kiss


       Before Seung Hyun could even reach the restaurant's entrance, Mr. Chung arrived with the car and immediately got out to help his boss carry the unconscious Seung Yoon. "Young master! Let me help you...," he said, running as he did so. Mr. Chung immediately opened the rear door as he helped his boss carry Seung Yoon and insisted on taking him to the house instead. Seung Hyun, though hesitant at first, still agreed with his second father. 

 

             As soon as Mr. Chung laid Seung Yoon in bed, Minzy went to get lukewarm water and soft cloth to wipe Seung Yoon's face and forehead. Seeing all of them suddenly burst in through the main door earlier, Nana Hyun Ae, the Choi family's oldest maid who served as Seung Hyun's second mother, started preparing warm soup for everyone. While Seung Hyun went straight to his room to fetch some clean clothes for the guest.

             "Babo!" said Minzy as she gently wiped Seung Yoon's face with the cloth. Seung Hyun quietly entered the room, carrying with him a set of clean clothes. "What were you doing there in the first place?" added Minzy, still talking to the sleeping Seung Yoon. Seung Hyun paused by the foot of the bed and remembered something, a memory.


Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/ribkaprimasetyanty/stairway-to-heaven-ost-16


              He was waiting by the cafe to meet Jenny that Wednesday afternoon. He looked at his watch, Jenny's first ever present for him, to check on the time. She was already thirty minutes late, and he was starting to get cold. He had no appetite for coffee or bread that day so, he ended up drinking hot water instead. After a few more minutes, Jenny finally arrived. 

            "Boo Boo, you don't look good," Jenny said as she took her seat beside him. She then placed her hand on his forehead, checking for his temperature. "You're hot... you have fever," she said worryingly. "I think you should go home and rest. Don't worry... I'll take care of you until you get better," she added. He then hugged her as he said, "Only until I get better? Why not forever?"

              Seung Hyun smiled a sad smile. The memory still hurt him, like it was just yesterday.

 

             Jenny checked the message on her phone as soon as they alighted from the subway. She paused as she read it making Dae Sung stop in his tracks as well. She looked up with a surprised expression. "She says she's going out with co-workers," informed Jenny as she walked towards Dae Sung. "I thought she was coming home already?" he asked confusedly. Jenny just shook her head in confusion as well. "Well, maybe, she was stopped by her co-workers on her way out. And you can't say no to company dinner especially when you're new," reasoned out Dae Sung. Somehow, what he said made sense to her thus, eliminating all suspicions she had. She knows and trusts her bestfriend so much that she didn't believe she would do anything that would hurt her. "Well, I guess, Yoonie had gotten too paranoid. I need not worry, right?" asked Jenny, searching Dae Sung's attentive face for assurance.

 

            Seung Hyun, Minzy, and Mr. Chung were now seated at the dining table having warm soup. Nana Hyun Ae went to see Seung Yoon to change his clothes to cleaner ones. The three were attended to by two maids in place of Nana Hyun Ae.

           "If your friend doesn't wake up by midnight, I think you should stay here as well," suggested Seung Hyun, a spoonful of soup midway to his mouth. 

              "I... I can't do that. They'd wonder where we spent the night," disagreed Minzy. 

              "Then, what do you suggest we do?" he inquired.

             "I... I don't know... I...," she looked at him with glistening eyes, "...my head is aching badly because of all this. I don't know what to do anymore."

           Seung Hyun set down his spoon and looked at her sympathetically. Mr. Chung who had grown very quiet during the entire exchange finally spoke. "As the eldest in this room, I say it's best that we pray for guidance. Everything that is happening right now happens for a reason. Let us not stress ourselves by thinking of ways on how to possibly hold back what was bound to happen. I believe every person has his or her own destiny to fulfill, and the only thing we need to do is to embrace it, to live with it," he wisely said. 

              Just then, Nana Hyun Ae reappeared and announced to everyone present that Seung Yoon had finally awakened.