Chapter Fifteen

The Black Rose

Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/kireiongaku/hana-yori-dango-ost-yurameku


             Minzy stood outside the gate, waiting for her bestfriend Jenny. It was already getting late but she was not home yet. She had already called her a few times but she was not answering. She had also sent her a few text messages and she replied just once, saying she'll be home soon. Just then, she spotted Jenny walking from a distance. She was about to approach her but she took a step back seeing that she was not alone.

          She saw Dae Sung run towards Jenny and gently pushed her forward. She pretended to lose her balance and then lightly punched him on the arm while she laughed along with him. Minzy suddenly felt a tinge of jealousy at this sight. She admits she likes Dae Sung and she knows that he had his eyes set on her bestfriend but, she never expected that Jenny would like him too. She is fully aware that Jenny still has feelings for Seung Hyun. 

 

            Seung Yoon was searching for Minzy and found her standing by the gate. He walked towards her and was about to tap her when he heard laughter. He looked at the direction where it came from and saw Dae Sung and Jenny. They look like they were having fun and he smiled at this. His bestfriend has finally made the first move. But then he remembered Minzy. The four of them have went out a couple of times already and he knew deep inside that she likes Dae Sung, seeing how she looked at him and how she tries to start a conversation with him everytime. His mood suddenly changed. "Minzy," he said a bit sternly. She looked up once and then fixed her gaze back at the two. 

 

           As they were nearing the house, Jenny spotted Minzy and Seung Yoon by the gate. She waved at her bestfriend and cousin. Seung Yoon waved back but not Minzy. Her face was expressionless, unreadable. Dae Sung ran towards the two and lightly punched his bestfriend by the arm. "What's up man?' he greeted him quite cheerfully. He then patted Minzy at the shoulder and she just smiled at him awkwardly. Jenny finally reached them and greeted the two who were apparently waiting for her. "I'm sorry I failed to answer your calls Minzy. I turned my phone on silent mode when we decided to head to the park. When I checked my phone, I had a few missed calls and text messages that was why I summed up my reply to only one. I know you've been worried and I thank you for being so," she said as she hugged her bestfriend. Though Minzy was feeling a bit irritated at her bestfriend because of the jealousy that she felt, she still hugged her back because for her, Jenny's happiness is more important. 

 

             Minzy went straight to their room once they got inside the house. Jenny sensed something was wrong with her bestfriend. She looked at Seung Yoon for answers but he just gave out a sigh. "Is there something wrong with you too?" she asked naively. "I don't know couz... I don't know," he answered as he proceeded to walk to his room. She set aside her questions and decided to take a hot shower before going to bed.

             Jenny slowly peeked inside their room and saw that Minzy was already sleeping. She noiselessly went to her side of the bed and took one last look at the painting sitting by the dresser. She approached it and touched its surface. "I knew it was you... Seung Hyun," she whispered. Just then, she heard faint footsteps walking along the corridor outside. She waited for the footsteps to sound fainter before she opened the door an inch to see who it was. 

            Seung Yoon had his jacket on and went straight to the door, carefully closing it behind him. Jenny followed suit, grabbing a coat hanging on the stand by the door. She silently followed Seung Yoon, making sure to keep a safe distance from him. Although she wasn't sure where her cousin was planning to go to this late in the evening, she still followed him.

 

            Seung Yoon was planning to grab a soju at a pojangmacha not that far away from the park but then decided to just buy soda in a convenience store nearby and just kill time by the swings at the park. Jenny who was following her stayed outside the store to avoid being seen. She hid behind an electric post beside the store. After a few minutes, Seung Yoon appeared with soda in his hands and started to walk on the direction of the park. "What is this kid up to?" she whispered to herself. She trailed behind him, careful not to be noticed. 

              As soon as Seung Yoon reached the park, he went straight to the empty swings and started drinking his soda. Jenny hid behind a tree not far away from the swings. "Why drink soda at this hour and at this place?" she muttered to herself. She inched closer to take a better look at her cousin and saw a dark expression. 

 

             Seung Yoon was about to take a sip of his soda when he heard the crackle of dried leaves not that far away from where he was. He looked at the direction of the noise and saw no one. He continued to drink his soda while looking out into the darkness. No matter how hard he tried to sleep that night, he couldn't bring himself to. There were a lot of things going on in his mind. First of all, his cousin Jenny and the man in the gray hoodie. As much as he wanted to create a connection between the two, he can't seem to. It's because he doesn't know anything and he'd been waiting forever for an explanation. Minzy won't say a word to him thinking that Jenny has the sole right to explain everything that ever happened in Paris. Speaking of Minzy, he is having a problem with her as well. There's no denying he likes her but this is the first time he experienced liking a girl who doesn't seem interested with him, but instead with his bestfriend. Although he knew that Dae Sung likes his cousin Jenny, he still felt uneasy. 

              "May I know what you're doing here late in the evening?" said Jenny, all of a sudden, from behind him. Seung Yoon was startled that he almost fell from the swing. He looked behind him and found Jenny with a confused and worried look on her face. She sat on the swing beside his without waiting for him to invite her.

              "What are you doing here? How did you know I was out?" he asked without pause.

             "I was about to go to sleep and heard faint footsteps outside the room. I was just going to take a peek but when I saw you dressed like you're going out, I decided to follow you," she explained.

               "I can't sleep," he simply said.

               "Me either," she said in agreement.

            Seung Yoon pushed himself on the swing. "Something bothering you couz?" he asked curiously. She thought for a minute whether she would tell her cousin the truth but then remembered what Dae Sung said earlier. Seung Yoon deserves an explanation as well. "Something happened today couz. It was something I wasn't expecting to happen so soon," she said. Seung Yoon remained silent, waiting for her to go on. "I saw him... Seung Hyun," she continued. Seung Yoon stopped swinging, looked at his cousin, and then asked, "Who is Seung Hyun?" Jenny took a deep breath before answering, "My ex-fiancé."