Chapter Eight

The Black Rose

Background Music: https://soundcloud.com/cozycrab/love-is-4men


                Dae Sung was nervously waiting for Jenny's text. He really wanted to go out with her tonight. He didn't get to see her yesterday and asking Minzy and Seung Yoon to go out with them was an excuse for him to do so. Minzy, on the other hand, was also nervously waiting for her bestfriend's text for a more important reason. She was alone somewhere, waiting for the rain to stop. And she quite knows how 'me' time is for Jenny. She had caught her a lot of times staring into blankness without her knowing, and that is a bad sign.

               Meanwhile, Seung Yoon could see the worry forming on Minzy's face. He was staring at her, again. "This is becoming a habit," he thought to himself. With Minzy worrying like this about her cousin, the thought that there must be something seriously wrong came into his mind again. The only thing he strongly wants right now is to know what it is. "Jenny texted," informed Dae Sung, interrupting Seung Yoon's thoughts. "She says she's coming with us. Let's go," he motioned for the two to follow him.

 

              When they reached the area, Jenny was already waiting by the door with an old man who seemed to be carrying with him a big rectangular-shaped box. Dae Sung parked the car at the corner of the street. Seung Yoon and Minzy both came out of the car to fetch Jenny. "Jenny!" called out Minzy. Jenny turned her head to their direction and waved at them.

                "Have you been waiting a long time for us?" asked Seung Yoon. "Not really. We just came out. By the way guys, this is Mr. Kim. He owns the cafe," introduced Jenny. "Nice meeting you kids," gently shaking each of their hands. "This is a nice place you got here Mr. Kim! Hope we could visit longer next time!" exclaimed Seung Yoon. "You are all very welcome! Who knows I might be treating you to coffee next time you come here," said Mr. Kim happily. He then turned towards Jenny, "If you have any more questions, please feel free to come here and ask me, okay dear." He then carefully handed her the painting that she bought from him. Seung Yoon and Minzy exchanged looks of confusion. "Here couz, let me help you," motioned Seung Yoon. Jenny handed him the painting and said her goodbye to Mr. Kim, "We're going now Mr. Kim. Thank you so much and I promise I'll be back. I also have to return this shirt you lent me." Mr. Kim waived it off and ushered her down the steps to Minzy who was patiently waiting for her with an umbrella under the heavy rain. 

 

               As soon as Seung Yoon reached the car, Dae Sung came out to help him place the painting inside. "What is this?" asked Dae Sung curiously. "I bet it's a painting. There were a lot of it displayed by the window," inferred Seung Yoon. "We must be careful then," reminded Dae Sung. After struggling a little, they finally managed to fit it inside the car. "Well, that will have to do!" said Dae Sung, quite satisfied with what they have done. "You just have to squish in a little with Minzy," he added. "Me? With Minzy? I'm sitting beside you, remember?" confusedly asked Seung Yoon. Dae Sung looked at his bestfriend in a way that only he would understand. Seung Yoon's face suddenly lit up with comprehension and a sly smile formed on his face. As the girls reached the car, the two boys gave each other a nod of agreement. Seung Yoon quickly positioned himself on the backseat. When Minzy saw that Seung Yoon was already in the back seat, she grunted, "What the..." Dae Sung opened the door of the passenger seat for Jenny. She smiled at him as a symbol of gratitude and this made Dae Sung froze in place. As soon as Jenny got in, Minzy squished in at the back with Seung Yoon. "Why in the world are you here? Weren't you supposed to be seated at the front?" asked the irritated Minzy. Seung Yoon just shrugged which irritated Minzy more. Dae Sung looked at the rear view mirror and smiled at what he saw. He then looked at Jenny who was seating beside him, a smile forming on her face as well. "Shall we go?" he asked Jenny. Jenny looked at him and just nodded. 

                 "Looks good! Wait a sec. Why are you being so generous today Mr. Kang Dae Sung?" questioned Minzy quite frankly. "No reason," lied Dae Sung. At this, Seung Yoon just smiled. Now he knows what his good friend's agenda was all along. "What did you buy back there in the cafe Jenny?" asked Dae Sung. "A painting," answered Jenny a little too lifelessly. Dae Sung wanted to ask what the painting was all about but he saw the sudden change in her mood. "Let's eat!" interrupted Seung Yoon. He needed to cut the gloomy mood that was starting to surround them. They then started to eat but still, Dae Sung can't get his mind off Jenny's sudden lack of enthusiasm. He felt like something went wrong, he just can't figure out what it was.

                  Jenny's eyes suddenly grew wide. Dae Sung who was sitting directly in front of her thought that she was looking at him. "What's wrong Jenny?" he nervously asked. Instead of answering, Jenny stood up and ran towards the door. Dae Sung got so confused that he just froze in his seat letting Seung Yoon run after his cousin. Minzy, on the other hand, saw why Jenny had that look on her face. Someone was observing them from outside the restaurant... a man in a gray hoodie. The only question she had was, who was he?