Prologue

The Black Rose

          Round and round and round she goes. All she could see were the twisting steps of an endless staircase. She was gasping for breath. Someone was after her, running behind her. She tried looking back so she could take a peek on her pursuer, but the person's face was being covered by the shadows. At long last, she reached the end of the staircase. It was pitch dark except for the lights emitted by the wall sconces. Suddenly, she felt a hand grasp her right shoulder. Her whole body tensed and when she turned around, she found no one. And on the floor, in place of her pursuer, was a single black rose.

 

 

           "Happy Birthday Jenny!" exclaimed Minzy. Jenny slowly opened her eyes. From the window, she could see that the morning sun was already shining bright outside. "It was all just a dream," she realized. "What?" asked Minzy. "Nothing Minzy... it was nothing." She slowly sat up and threw the duvet aside. "Make a wish birthday girl!" Minzy was holding this beautiful cake, which painted a smile on Jenny's face. Minzy has been her bestfriend since forever. And God knows what could have happened to her if it wasn't for Minzy. Jenny closed her eyes. She could only think of one thing she wanted now more than ever. And then, she blew the candle. 

          "What did you wish for?" asked Minzy eagerly while placing the cake back inside its box. "You know what it is, Minzy. You should know it more than anyone," replied Jenny. Minzy nodded and gave her bestfriend the tightest hug. "Jenny, we're going back to Seoul tomorrow. This is the chance you've been waiting for, a chance to put it all behind you. Don't think about it too much. And besides, today is your birthday. We should celebrate! Let's go out, shall we?"

             "I know Minzy... I know. But, what if I don't have a choice? What would have happened to me?"

            "Oh stop this nonsense Jenny! C'mon!" Minzy pulled Jenny out of bed and shoved her into the bathroom. "Now take a bath, get dolled up, and I'll see you downstairs. And don't worry about your mom 'cause I already told her we're going out. She's cooking us breakfast. Just like the good old days." 

           

              As soon as Jenny reached the last step, her mom called out from the dining room. "Honey, come here, come!" And as soon as she reached the table, her mom pulled her to her seat and set down a special birthday breakfast for her. Jenny's tears started to well up. How could she leave her mom here, alone, for a year or two. "Now, now honey... don't cry. Mom understands why you have to go back to Seoul. I think it is a wise decision for you to stay away from Paris for a while. Your uncle will take good care of you there. And I'm going to call you everyday so we'll both be at ease. Okay? So, now, you should eat. Your breakfast is getting cold."

               "I love you mom."

               "I love you more, my dear Bom."

               "Mom, please. You know I..."

               "Alright, alright... Jenny. Whatever you prefer dear."

               Jenny's mom has this habit of calling her Bom, which is Jenny's Korean name, when things get a little bit personal, and emotional, and she, of all people, knows that Jenny hates the name for personal reasons. "Minzy dear, help yourself. Don't be shy, okay? It's nice seeing you here for a change."

               "It is actually nice to finally have this chance to visit you again, Mrs. Park. And I must say, your cooking hasn't changed."

               "Well dear, it's just been a month since you last stepped in here, so..."

             "Has it only been a month? It felt like forever though, since I usually do sleepovers here almost every day. Anyways, I am very excited for tomorrow! Haven't gone to Korea in a while. At long last, Jenny and I will be able to explore the whole of South Korea! Aren't you excited Jenny?" asked Minzy, finally turning her attention to her. "Yes," mumbled Jenny.