♪ Not That Person Anymore by azxema

♪♫ Midnight Sonata Café ♫♪ | Reviews and Recs [CLOSED for requests & READ CH. 37]
R E V I E W
NOT THAT PERSON ANYMORE
 
 
         by azxema
         EXO x Nine Muses 
         Angst | Romance | 
         Chaptered | Ongoing
         Reviewed up to Chapter 5
         Reviewed by momodays09
 
♪ Memories
       by FT Island

Title (2/5):
The title is a bit cliché and may not be the most eye-catching title. And though the story is just starting and developing, your title may be on a bit of the predictable side. I could see it referring to all the characters as well. It can refer to Moon Hyuna in that she isn’t in love with Kris anymore (or she tries to convince herself of that). She could be telling herself that it’s always Tao, it’s always been Tao, thus she’s not that person that Kris knows anymore. In Kris’ case, I could see Kris being the playboy in his college years and leaving as soon as he got her pregnant (without him knowing). But as so many years passed and looking into a past lover, he wants to convey to her that he’s not that person anymore. And for Tao, I could see Tao being the passive-aggressive person that just watches things unfold and never takes action upon it. Even though he definitely shows his feelings to Hyuna, he definitely takes a step back when Hyuna is in the picture. But as Kris steps in, I feel like Tao wouldn’t be the passive-aggressive person anymore and will take his own steps to make Hyuna his, thus not being that person anymore. Iono, that’s just my opinion about the title. Again, it’s a bit early to say so as your story has not shown everything just yet, but that’s just my opinion.  

Appearance (5/5):
I really liked the overall appearance of your story. The gray backdrop is simple and neat. The poster is beautiful and blends in with the story. It also compliments the mood of the story as it is a bit depressing so far as the story progresses.

Foreward/Description (6/10):
The description was actually very eye-catching in terms of physical appearance, which I give props for. The content actually fits the appearance as well. I personally had no issues with the description. The forward is fine in that you chose to give your thanks to all contributors. I think it has more to do with the appearance. I would have mentioned this in the appearance section, but I felt that since this was more in the forward section, it would be fitting to put in the explanations and scores here. The file for the Enchanted Poster Shop has either been erased or no longer exists. This brings up the weird image that the file doesn’t exist, which can be a bugger in your forward. I would highly like to suggest that you erase that and just credit the postershop with the link. Overall, I thought it was a really pretty description but the forward can be improved. Also, it would definitely help if you perhaps provided a preview into your story in your forward, but that’s just my opinion.  

Plot/Storyline (12/20):
I apologize ahead of time if I sound mean. I promise I don’t mean any ill will. I’m just trying to point out and help you improve and realize what the reader sees. So far from reading, Kris is Hanmi’s teacher, Hanmi is Kris’ kid (without Kris knowing). Kris left the kid’s mother (Moon Hyuna), and now she has been with Tao who is younger than both of them. Tao has met Kris without knowing it was Kris and has insecurity issues even though Hyuna gently convinces him not to worry. In the meantime, Kris is thinking hard about Hanmi having hardcore resemblance with his ex girlfriend, but since the person who picked Hanmi up on the first day wasn’t Moon Hyuna, he is just in a state of confusion until a mutual friend comes into the picture and now Kris is getting angry over a misunderstanding. Meanwhile, there’s Hyuna who is trying to stick to the present where she has Tao and is happy with Hanmi. Though briefly stated, I feel like this is the gist of the story so far. The story is just starting, and I see some development, but the plot so far is very cliché and mundane. Perhaps as the story progresses, there will be more twists and turns to make the plot unique, but as of right now, it is just a slight bit overused. There seems to be a lot of emotion invested in this story though as you set the tone appropriately, so great job on that. Overall, though the plot so far is a little trite, don’t get discouraged. Keep writing and go along with your passion and emotion. I feel that if you put your all into it, this story will turn out to be a great one.

Character Development (22/30):
I have never seen a EXO x Nine Muses pairing before, which did catch my interest. You did a great job in portraying that life isn’t fair with Kris. He had gone through plenty of internships and has enough education to teach at college level, yet he is still starting out with little kids, something he was not expecting. As for now, I can see Kris being the play boy in the past. He had some sort of special feeling for Moon Hyuna, but left her. Then several years later, he unexpectedly becomes the teacher of her (and his) child. Though he doesn’t know that Hanmi is his child, he suspects it in his gut. At least until he sees Tao in the picture and it is confirmed that Hanmi is Hyuna’s child. Though I can sense some guilt and remorse in him, it is not clearly portrayed just yet. As for Moon Hyuna, she seems indecisive. After dating Tao for four years, she suddenly has an unexpected encounter with Kris and her feeling is swayed once more. Perhaps it is me not understanding what it is like seeing the father of your child after so many years, but the emotions were not exactly there. Tao is the genuinely nice guy who seemingly is insecure about the future of his relationship with Hyuna. Though it is understandable on Tao’s part, it’s a bit cliché. From the character’s development, I just feel like the story is very predictable based on the character’s actions, words, and decisions presented so far. Maybe this is just the beginning and things will change accordingly, but as I have mentioned in the title section, if things go the way I have stated above, it is just way too predictable.  

Use of Language / Mechanics (18/20):
In general, your grammar and choice of words were very well thought out. I see that you have a beta reader, which never hurts as your use of language is really good in this case. Several things that I saw in the midst of your well written story were the following:

ANYTHING IN RED ARE CHANGES I MADE

ANYTHING CROSSED OUT SHOULDN'T BE THERE

ANYTHING IN BOLD NEED ATTENTION

Comma Placement

Ch 1

*  "Hey kids," He he took a deep breath, "As as you can see, I'm a new teacher of yours. My name is Kris but you can just call me sir, okay?" [in this case, if the quotation of a complete sentence is interrupted in the middle and then continues after the interruption, do not capitalize the second part of the quotation. Use commas to set off the explanatory words.]

*  "Moon Hanmi," He he called out, looking up to see a little girl who stood up immediately and slowly approached his desk. [Basically, after a quotation, it should end with a comma if the person who says the statement is referred (such as “blah blah blah,” he retorted OR “Go away,” she shouted OR “You’re mean,” he cried, etc etc.)]

*  "I have no daddy," Hanmi replied as quietly as Kris's voice. [As I have mentioned above, the end of a quotation should have a comma if the person who says the statement is referred]

*  "Yah. Give me back my fork, Hyungji!" Kris's brow burrowed to the sudden commossion commotion at in the back [in this case, it is often recommended to place a comma before the referring name in the quote. Since the statement goes directly to Hyungji, you would place a comma before you state the name. Such examples would be: Give me back my fork, Hyungji OR You are unbelievable, Kris OR Please understand, Tao etc etc etc. ]

Ch. 2

*  "Hey Tao," Hyuna happily greeted back as she grabbed her things before having her late lunch with the two most important people in her life lif., [this is just a repeat of what I stated above, but there was a typo with the spelling of life that I thought I’d point out.]

Ch. 3

*  While the two were busy pushing their own, Hyuna was left behind with her own trolley. [Make sure you place a comma after introductory phases. While the two were busy pushing their own is an introductory phase. If there is no comma, it can be misread as if the two were busy pushing their own Hyuna, not a trolley, so to make this clear, it is appropriate to use a comma.]

*  "Are you okay, mommy?" [this is the same suggestion I made when you are referring the statement to the person in the sentence]

Ch. 5

*  "No, I'm a teacher here. Finally a teacher," He he proudly chuckled. [again, at the ending of a quotation, remember to use a comma if the explanatory words (he proudly chuckled) continue the sentence]

*  "Wow Kris. I know you guys would had already moved on by now, but I don't didn’t know you'd be this okay teaching your ex's kid," Sera pointed out. "I'd have to applaud you for that." [I just replaced a couple of words to make the sentence flow a bit better but that’s about it]

Choices in Transitioning words

Ch1

*  He didn't remember training hard in those years to teach ABC & 123 but as he always believed that his ability is enough to teach college students. [I just felt that but isn’t a good transitioning word in this case since but is an opposing word whereas as allows the sentence to flow more consistently.]

 

Tense Inconsistencies

Ch 2

*  He didn't know why the thought of Hyuna moving on and having a child with another man is was so disturbing. [Since the sentence is in past tense, it is best to keep the past tense consistent throughout the sentence]

*  So much for pretending to care and wanted wanting to see her once again. [this is to show the parallel structure in a sentence. If you keep it at wanted, instead of wanting, you are breaking the parallel structure. Basically, keeping the verbs in the same tense will maintain parallel structure. Examples of parallel structure includes: Instead of wanting to run, breaking his heart, and playing the bad person, she wanted to face him… OR So much for caring for me and acting like you’re my friend…etc etc]

*  It never failed to make Hyuna felt like she is not a good mother for her, a mother that lets Hanmi grew grow up in an incomplete family.

Flow (7/10):
The flow so far was fairly well thought out. In terms of pacing. I see that you are getting right to the possible face to face encounter in the next upcoming chapters, which is really good. I didn’t see too many grammar mistakes that disrupted the flow either. There were certain parts in the story where I didn’t really think was necessary, but it didn’t really hurt you either. The reason I did give it a 7 instead of a 9 or 10 is because I just feel like it is very predictable. The story gives off a bit too much already and this may divert readers.


Reader's View/Enjoyment:
I personally enjoyed reading this story. Perhaps it’s my liking for an angsty fic but this story had me while it lasted. To keep things brief as I have already stated most of what I will say above, your story is a bit predictable. If it continues the way I said above as it links with the title itself, your story is revealing way too much from the beginning. Perhaps I may be misunderstanding as there will be lots of twists and turns later on, but from what it is now, it seems like another mundane, single mother story.

 

Final Score: (72/100)

 

Additional Comments:
I don’t really have much to say for this part. As I have said earlier, this was the first EXO x Nine Muses fic I have read so it was pretty interesting. I don’t really know Nine Muses, just listened to a couple of their songs here and there but don’t know them in detail. Regardless, your story has much potential so just keep writing as is ^^ Thank you for requesting at Midnight Sonata Café. I hope this review helped you. Please don’t forget to comment after you have read it and credit the shop in your forward. I apologize for the long delay! 


Review Credit to momodays09 from ♪♫ Midnight Sonata Café ♫♪