♪ Solace by namzUd

♪♫ Midnight Sonata Café ♫♪ | Reviews and Recs [CLOSED for requests & READ CH. 37]
R E V I E W
SOLACE 
 
5f5435b3-c1e6-435e-844d-fe196ca94420_zps  
         by namzUd
         2PM || OC Story
         angst | romance | interacial
         Chapter | Ongoing
         Reviewed up to Chapter 5
         Reviewed by Chunkee__
 
♪ A Person I Used To Love
       by Huh Gak

Title (4/5):
Solace. It means 'a source of comfort'. When I read your story, it fits perfectly with your plot. You gave the characters a source of their comfort. It made sense and it gave a sense of reality. When I saw the title, I immediately grabbed my dictionary and searched for the word. I haven't heard of the word before. Also, it triggers the readers interest. Since it looks interesting.

Appearance (3/5):
Since you don't have a poster, I'll just judge the appearance of the whole story.

The thing that disturbs me is when you placed ellipses on either on the beginning of your paragraph or at the end of it. You might want to remove them and just place a period at the end of each paragraph. For the flashback part, can you use the 'block quote'? It gives an emphasis too. I also appreciate that you italicized the flashback. Your spacing between paragraphs are great and easy to read. But what bothers me is that, the size of the paragraphs are uneven. Some of the paragraphs are too big and some are small in size. I hope you'll even them out.

Foreward/Description (6/10):

I like how your description is simple yet meaningful. It gives a sense of reality and everyone can relate to it. But, you could make it like this too, to make it more appealing.

Everyone has a baggage; skeletons in our closet we don’t ever want to look back on. But we all need to move on at some point, even when our past comes crashing back into our lives. It’s easier said than done though, because I can’t seem to make my choice.

Familiarity is like comfort for the soul, yet sometimes I seem to find consolation in things I’ve never tried before and people I’ve gotten to know, especially this one guy

Did you see the emphasis? It gives an impact and refrain from using to much ellipsis. It gets disturbing.

The foreword. It doesn’t give the story away and it was well-written. The only thing that disturbs me is the usage of ellipsis. You used too much of it. Instead, place a comma at the end of each line and capitalize the first letter on each line, then end it with an ellipsis at the very last line. Also, please use the ‘horizontal line’ instead of this (~~~~). It would look neat and presentable.


Plot/Storyline (15/20):
Fortunately, your storyline wasn't cliché. You didn't abuse it also. Although, I hope that the characters will have a certain weakness, not just the fear of their past love. I also like the part that you placed a flashback, telling the readers what happened.

Your plot was great but there is something bothering me throughout the story. You didn’t give any depth in the pairing, Nickhun and Niddhi. You didn’t give any hints on how they met and why they loved each other. Also, the pairing should stick in my mind but what stuck in my mind is the pairing of Wooyoung and Ra Ihn. I just hope that you’ll twist it around and give more depth into Nickhun’s and Niddhi’s life.

The overall plot was great. It wasn’t cliché and not overused. Then again, I just hope you’ll center the pairing of Nickhun and Niddhi first before anything else.

 

Character Development (20/30):

Since 2PM is a team, you should include Jun. K. and Junho.  I love how you gave the characters their distinct attitude. Niddhi is the strong-headed girl who understands her friends. Nickhun is the jealous guy who ignores Niddhi. Ra Ihn is the understanding best friend and doesn’t let her guard down. Wooyoung is the prankster with a weak heart.

However, I didn’t feel any emotions coming from your main pairing, Niddhi and Nickhun. I always think of Wooyoung and Ra Ihn. Again, I hope you’ll develop them more and center them. Also, give Jun. K. and Junho some presence in the story. It might make a difference in your story.

 

Use of Language / Mechanics (12/20):

I didn’t have a hard time reading your story but I did have a hard time understanding it. Some of your sentences were wordy and I can’t get any of it. Also, you forgot to place punctuation marks at the end of your dialogues and forgetting to capitalize some. Also, you should never short cut the names of your characters when narrating. It’s okay for dialogues but not when narrating the story. So, change Woo into Wooyoung and Taec into Taecyeon. It could make a difference.

For language, please reread your story again. I saw some spelling errors. You misspelled pronunciation and humor, please check on that one. Also, some of your sentences were hard to understand and I couldn’t imagine the story line in my head. Rephrase them. Say it out loud and check if it sounds right. Also, I got annoyed with the use of your ellipsis (…) in your story. I hope you’ll cut it down.

This is the phrase that I didn't understand:

I sighed as I looked through the multitude of lectures, tutorials and lab sessions I had that day. I was going to be busy rushing from one end of the campus to the other with my friends, trying not to be late for classes. This meant that, as usual, right now was the only time I had to really think and gather my thoughts.

When it should be:

I sighed as I looked through the multitude of lectures, tutorials and lab sessions I will be having on that day. I imagined myself busily running from one end of the campus to the other, trying not to be late for class. And as of right now, this will be the only time for me to think and gather my thoughts.

 

I know that I changed most of it. But I can't help but rephrase it.

 

*Just a question. In your first chapter, what do you mean by ‘trailer’? In my opinion, it’s the advertisement or a short video. Can you explain it? I didn’t seem to get it.


Flow (6/10):
The flow was great! It was steady. The changes of the scene were great too. You explained as to why they were there and what they were doing. But it was slow. It drags on and I keep on expecting that there will be an interaction between your main pairing. I just hope that there will more interaction between the characters and the flow would be well-paced too. But, I think you’re doing a great job for now. 

Reader’s View / Enjoyment:

To be honest, I didn’t enjoy the story. Well, that is my opinion. Don’t be so down. I just hope that there will be a brighter side in your story and I really do hope that there will be lots of interaction between the characters. As a reader, I find it dull. Put more color into it and have a blast in writing your stories!

            
Final Score: (66/100)

Additional Comments:

I don't know what to say. I basically told everything in your review. I hope you'll continue writing and never stop. What the hell am I saying? Anyways, you have a great plot and I just hope you'll expand it more and it was a first time for me to read a inter-racial fanfic. It was a fresh start. Don't forget to comment after you picked up your review and credit us. If you think that I did a great job in reviewing your story, I hope you'll upvote the shop and help us out by the spreading the word. 


Review Credit to Chunkee__ from ♪♫ Midnight Sonata Café ♫♪