♪ Turning Page by gamiefishie

♪♫ Midnight Sonata Café ♫♪ | Reviews and Recs [CLOSED for requests & READ CH. 37]
R E V I E W
TURNING PAGE
 
5f5435b3-c1e6-435e-844d-fe196ca94420_zps  
         by gamiefishie
         EXO || Sehun & OC
         angst | drama | romance
         Chaptered | Ongoing
         Reviewed up to Chapter 17
         Reviewed by Chunkee__
 
Ending Page
       by f(x)

Title (4/5):

Though the said title was used too much, I really liked how it was used in your story. It was completely relatable and I loved how Sehun's life was a book with a page that was refusing to turn. It was really great.

Appearance (3/5):

Your poster is really good. The book is there and main characters are there too. It looks antique too. I don't know what to say here because it really looks good.

Story-appearance wise, though. The way you use to many spaces and how small your sentences are made your story look excruciatingly long. That is why I had a very long time reading it.

Foreword/Description (7/10):

I love your description. Period. It could perk up the interest of the readers, thus, making them click the next page. I love how you gave a little detail but it gave the readers a broader view of the story. But, there is a catch. The readers might click but it was set in 'subscribers only'. I tend to skip things like these because it would be such a pain and the author might get frustrated if they unsubscribe when the plot isn't great.

Also, narrow-minded people are out there. They might, 'Psh. She just wants subbies, that's all'.

Going back, like I said, this is a great description and it really makes the readers want to read it.
 

Plot/Storyline (15/20):

I applaud you for the plot. I don't know why but the way you present your story was captivating. Each and every part was really great and the way you used less dialogues was a plus for me. I love those stories and it made me want to read more. But your story was really long and I am a very busy kid so that was a disadvantage.

Character Development (20/30):

I love how you centered the characters to Sehun and Daesom. You gav them their own color and they stood out the most. You also gave the side characters (Jongin, Chanyeol, Blondie and Jaehee) their time to shine on the story. Kris is also inlcuded but I count him as the main on the this one. I love how you presented them with their own distinct color and I loved that.

But, there was just one thing, you made Jongin and Chanyeol befriend Blondie and Jaehee too easily. That's what I think. There should be like a clash between those two.

Also, I also love how you popped a character in each chapter. Luhan, Saehee and Daehyun. Really good.

Use of Language / Mechanics (15/20):

You lacked the detailing part. What did Sehun's apartment looked like? Was the university an open field or a closed field? Remember, if it was a part at Tao's house, there should loud music and people's stench in it.

Now, a lot of author tend to be like this, using a lot of periods. As soon as I read your first chapter, this made me cringe.

Sehun slowly opened his eyes as the blinding rays of the sunlight hit his cheek. The room was hotter than usual and he hated the season for it. He despised summer the most. He checked the time on his phone. Twenty-three minutes after seven in the morning. Right on schedule. (Chapter one)

Sehun slowly opened his eyes as the blinding rays of the sunlight hit his cheek. The room was hotter than usual and he hated the season for it; He despised summer the most. He checked the time on his phone. Twenty-three minutes after seven in the morning; Right on schedule.

If you don't noticed the difference, I used semi-colons. Using a lot of periods would make your story look a bit harsh, which distracts us. The way I read stories is like how a person speaks. Imagine a story filled with periods? You need to count up to three to be able to move on to the next sentence. Some of sentences aren't sentences too, they are called phrases. 

Sehun furrowed his brows, confused. “Why would she even wait for me to do that?” (Chapter ten)

In this one, Your sentence looks harsh too. Why not add a comma after the word 'confused'? It may add a difference to heavy readers. It may look a bit soft and easier to read. 

He didn’t say anything for awhile. She didn’t either. (Chapter ten)

Like I said, semi-colons are really great dividers between sentences.

Her tone was teasing that Sehun had to close his eyes and count to ten to calm his self down. (Chapter eleven)

Her tone was teasing that Sehun had to close his eyes and count to ten to calm himself down.

The word himself refers to a male person or animal previously mentioned as the subject of the clause. I don't think the word his self exists.

Flow (10/10):

I applaud you again for the transition. The flow was really great and it answered my answers too. I love how everything is connected and I don't know what else to say. It was really excellent.

Reader’s View / Enjoyment:

As a reader myself, your story is breath-taking to read. Even though Sehun's character hsa been overused. Silent and all emotionless, you made it seem like not overused at all. I love how it screams reality into though and I kinda forgot that they in a university. Haha. I love the story and you made Sehun destroy my bias list. Hate you. Haha. I especially love the Truth or Kiss part. Aigoo. KaiSoo feels.

Final Score: (74/100)

Additional Comments:

Okay. After the Kris incident and EXO's injury all over the GALAXY fandom thing, I couldn't bear reading it. Just kidding! I love everything but I am not a fan of 'subscribers only' thing, though. Sorry about the period and comma thing. It's my pet peeve. Haha. I hope that you'll continue to update. *cough* *cough* Sorry for the long wait. I was devasted with the EXO thing going on. Moving on, if you think that I have a great job, how about an upvote as a sign that you support this shop and please credit the shop. Spread the shop around and hopefully request again, yeah?

Fighting! Lol. The video though. haha.


Review Credit to Chunkee__ from ♪♫ Midnight Sonata Café ♫♪