Person of Integrity

Queer & Proud

Sehun was a relatively early riser, and by the time he woke up, it was only 7. Breakfast wasn’t until half an hour later, so that gave him plenty of time to get ready. He slowly rose from bed, which he reluctantly got into last night for a lack of better choices. Shuddering at the memory, he quickly went into the bathroom and took a shower.

 

He remembered that he had forgotten his clothes in the room and took a large towel instead, draping it around his waist. He opened the door and made his way towards the large shared closet when he heard a high pitched scream. Sehun stumbled forward and turned around to find Luhan gawking at him.

 

“Oh my ing god Sehun! You scared me!”

 

“I scared you?! You’re the one who screamed like a girl!”

 

Luhan tightened his grip on the blanket and suddenly went red. He averted his gaze.

 

“Will you please just put on some clothing?”

 

Sehun quirked an eyebrow, but didn’t say anything as he picked out his school uniform and went back to the bathroom. By the time he came out, Luhan was already dressed and was pacing the room nervously.

 

“You aren’t going to take a shower?”

 

Luhan jumped at the sudden sound and groaned.

 

“Oh no, I took one last night. While you were out.”

 

Sehun nodded dismissively. He went towards his bed, straightened his pillow and folded the blankets, before going to his desk and taking out the necessary materials. Luhan stood still as he stared as his roommate.

 

“Do you always get up this early?” Luhan asked quietly. Sehun lifted his head and met Luhan’s curious eyes.

 

“I guess. You?”

 

“About 5 minutes before class. I don’t remember the last time I actually ate some breakfast.”

 

Sehun snorted. “Why am I not surprised.”

 

“Maybe having a roommate will be a nice change,” Luhan chirped. Sehun was amazed at how fast the guy could get from being strangely anxious to happy.

 

“I somehow doubt it,” Sehun muttered under his breath. He swung his bag across his back and was about to go out of the room when Luhan’s hand stopped him.

 

“Wait, Sehun, aren’t you going to eat breakfast with us?”

 

Sehun’s hand was already on the doorknob. The taller male turned around and stared at Luhan.

 

“Us?”

 

“Yeah. Me and my friends. You know, the guys you met at the lunch table yesterday.”

 

Sehun frowned at yet another displeasing memory. He shook his head and slowly shrugged off Luhan’s hand.

 

“Sorry, I don’t think I’ll be going back to that table.”

 

Grabbing open the door, Sehun was about to go the cafeteria to get some breakfast alone when he heard a scurry of feet and saw that Luhan was struggling to keep up his pace.

 

“I guess I’ll accompany you then,” Luhan said as he awkwardly shifted on his backpack, “nobody will be at the cafeteria at this hour. We’ll probably be the only ones.”

 

“Luhan, you really don’t have to do this.”

 

“I want to.”

 

Sehun sighed in defeat. He quickly made his way towards the cafeteria, and just like Luhan had said, it was completely empty. He grabbed a plate and picked up a couple of toasts, eggs, and bacons before going to one of the tables. Luhan hurried after him and took a seat next to him.

 

Sehun stared at the amount of food Luhan had gotten, and couldn’t help but gape at the sheer number of pancakes on his plate.

 

“Are you sure you can eat all that?” He asked. Luhan looked genuinely surprised and pointed at his plate.

 

“What? This? This isn’t a problem at all.”

 

“You amaze me more by the passing minute, Luhan.”

 

Luhan glanced at Sehun and smiled brightly.

 

“Is that supposed to be a compliment?”

 

With a snort, Sehun muttered a quiet, “take it anyway you want,” before returning to his own breakfast. Luhan seemed to be in a much better mood and chattered away, unaware of Sehun’s lack of attention.

 

“Wow, this is fun.”

 

Luhan chirped happily as he took a big bite of his pancake. Sehun ignored the comment and ate as fast as he could. In less than 10 minutes he was done, and he quickly stood up to put the plate away. To his surprise, Luhan was already done and staring at him.

 

“You’re a slow eater,” Luhan teased, and followed Sehun to the trashbin. Sehun unhappily shoved the garbage into the bin and turned around as Luhan grabbed his cardigan, pulling on it.

 

“Sehun,” Luhan asked with a nervous smile, “I know you’re not happy with the situation you’re in right now, but this is your school and I want to be your friend.”

 

Sehun blinked slowly, slightly taken aback. He wasn’t used to hearing such things and to know that Luhan was actually being genuine filled him with guilt for acting so hostile before.

 

“I’m sorry,” he said, “I just need to get used to this whole thing. I was going to a normal highschool just until last month, Luhan.”

 

Luhan tightened his grip on Sehun’s cardigan.

 

“We aren’t any different from people from your old school, you know. I knew you for a day and I can already tell you’re going to be avoiding all of us for the rest of the year.”

 

“It’s not because who you guys are,” Sehun snapped back, “I’m just naturally reserved. I like to keep things to myself and I enjoy being alone. If you thought it was because you guys happened to be gay, that’s a misunderstanding.”

 

Luhan widened his eyes and slowly retreated his hand. He looked up at Sehun and broke into a wide grin.

 

“That’s good then,” Luhan said, “come on, tell me what classes you have today. I’ll give you a brief tour.”

 

“I don’t think that’s necessary-” Sehun spoke up, but when he caught sight of Luhan’s disappointed eyes, he sighed and took out his schedule. He handed it to the older, who took it eagerly and scanned the page.

 

“You’re in European History? I thought that was a third year course.”

 

Sehun shrugged nonchalantly. “I happen to be a history prodigy.”

 

Luhan beamed brightly and waved the piece of paper in front of Sehun, pointing at the first block.

 

“I’m in this class too!” Luhan said, “and I’m also in your fourth block. That means we have a total of two classes together! Isn’t that nice?”

 

“Great,” Sehun deadpanned before taking the paper out of Luhan’s hands and shoving it back into his bag. Luhan’s smile grew wider before he grabbed Sehun’s arm and dragged him out of the cafeteria.

 

“Come on, we have plenty of time before class starts. I’ll show you around the school.”

 

Sehun nodded and allowed himself to be pulled along. He glanced at the empty hallway and wondered if everyone usually slept in this late. Luhan pointed at a couple of classrooms, both his and Luhan’s, and chattered away. Sehun hummed back a reply every so often and found himself unusually getting used to the older’s passion for talking. It was actually relaxing, in some odd way. Sehun smiled softly but caught himself when Luhan turned around and looked at him.

 

“And that’s the library,” Luhan said before nodding at a huge door at the end of the hallway, “I’ve never been there, of course, but just in case you were interested.”

 

“Does it have a large collection of books?” Sehun said, his attention now on the door. Luhan shrugged.

 

“I have no idea. Like I said, I’ve never been inside those doors. If you want to find out, you should probably talk to Kyungsoo because he practically lives in there.”

 

Sehun raised both eyebrows. “Does he not study in his dorm?”

 

Luhan sighed and shook in head.

 

“No, he’s roommates with Jongin. From what I’ve gathered Kyungsoo’s almost never in their room. He avoids Jong like a fly and he knows Jongin will never step a foot in the library.”

 

“Why does Kyungsoo hate Jongin so much?”

 

Luhan frowned silently and tapped his chin, deep in concentration.

 

“Well, I’m not sure either. All I know is they’ve known each other since third grade and Jongin always followed Kyungsoo around like a puppy, while Kyungsoo just tries his best to avoid him. Nobody knows exactly what happened between the two, and I don’t think anyone wants to know either.”

 

“That’s a bit sad, isn’t it?” Sehun said, “for both of them. Kyungsoo’s obviously annoyed as hell from what I gathered from our last meeting, and Jongin’s destined for a heartbreak.”

 

“I know, but nobody can do anything about it, can they? We’ve been trying for years and look at where that got us,” Luhan said with a sad grin. He looked up and saw the library door creak open.

 

“Sehun! The library is open!” Luhan said. Sehun turned around and caught sight of the librarian turning on the lights.

 

Sehun looked back at Luhan. “Do you mind?”

 

When answered with a short no, Sehun and Luhan walked into the library. They were both struck the moment they stepped in. The library was much bigger than they expected it to be, and was definitely the most extravagant one they’ve been to.

 

“I think this is the size of all my previous school’s libraries combined,” Sehun murmured as he strolled by each aisle, gaping at the sheer amount of books shelved after one another. Luhan followed Sehun around, feeling awkward and foreign surrounded with so many books. He took a peek at Sehun’s face and noticed that the corner of his mouth was curled into a small but genuine smile. He made a small note in his head to start taking Sehun to the library often just to see that smile.

 

“Amazing, isn’t it?” Sehun asked, taking Luhan off guard. Luhan’s face lit up, ecstatic that Sehun was actually initiating a conversation.

 

“Absolutely!” Luhan exclaimed and he took a random book off the shelf and looked at it, “look! They even have Shakespeare!”

 

Sehun quirked an eyebrow before glancing at the book in Luhan’s hands.

 

“Luhan. That’s Jane Austen.”

 

Luhan’s eyes widened and he laughed awkwardly before slowly putting the book away.

 

“Oh, was it? Uh-I guess I got them mixed up?”

 

 

 

Sehun’s usual emotionless face turned into one of mild amusement. He turned around and took out a white paperback, handing it to Luhan.

 

That’s Shakespeare,” he said. Luhan took it and stared at it, fascinated at the fact that he was actually holding a piece of literature.

 

Sehun faced the stocked books and glanced at Luhan’s confused look with a small grin.

 

“You don’t have to pretend to like the library, you know,” he said, “it’s pretty obvious you don’t know a thing about literature.”

 

Luhan opened his mouth as if he wanted to retort, but he chose to remain silent. It wasn’t like what Sehun said wasn’t true.

 

“Not that not liking literature is necessarily bad,” Sehun continued as he picked out a book and shuffling through the pages. “Everyone has their own hobbies and passions.”

 

“Now I feel really stupid,” Luhan said with a wide smile. “What are your hobbies? Other than reading and excelling in history?”

 

Sehun laughed heartily.

 

“Hmm...I’ve never given much thought to what I like to do. I guess listening to music and ...... oh! folding origami.”

 

“Origami?” Luhan asked, “wow, that’s unexpected.”

 

“I like to do things that involve sitting down and staying inside.” Sehun replied as he flipped through a book. “What about you?”

 

“I’m more of an outdoors person,” Luhan said, “I love soccer and watching movies.”

 

“Interesting,” Sehun mused, “yet somewhat expected.” He extended his hand and pointed at the book in Luhan’s hands. “Here, I’ll take that. I’ll put it back for you.”

 

Luhan blinked before shaking his head and putting the book against his chest.

 

“Actually, I think I’ll try it out. My first Shakespeare. Isn’t this exciting?”

 

Sehun scoffed. “Just don’t ask me to interpret each line for you.”

 

Luhan nodded with a wide grin and with Sehun, who was holding three books thick books in his hands, walked over to the librarian. She seemed surprised to see two students so early in the morning.

 

“I’ve never seen you two before,” she commented before taking the books and entering some codes into the computer.

 

“He’s new to the school,” Luhan said as he pointed at Sehun, “and I usually don’t come here.”

 

“Oh? And are you two planning to be regular visitors?” The librarian asked with a kind smile as she gave the books back. Luhan shoved the Shakespeare into his bag and looked at Sehun expectantly.

 

“I am,” Sehun said, “but I’m not sure about him.”

 

“Well, you two are always welcome as long as you keep quiet,” she said. Sehun and Luhan both gave her a polite bow before going out.

 

“Tell me when you’re done with the book,” Sehun said, “I can return it for you. I doubt you will want to ever come back.”

 

“Hey! I will too! I’m going to stop by at least once a week!”

 

Sehun crossed his arms and looked at Luhan in disbelief.

 

“Really? Don’t make promises you can’t keep.”

 

Luhan huffed and mimicked Sehun, crossing his own arms. “I’ll have you know I’m a person of integrity.”

 

Sehun laughed. “If you say so. Don’t feel pressured, though. I’m not expecting much.”

 

“Sehun!” Luhan yelled, only to be met with Sehun’s laughter. Luhan found himself grinning widely at the younger’s laugh. It was nice to see Sehun, who was usually so cold and distant, actually look alive and bright.

 

“Come on. Class is going to start soon,” Sehun said, “European History was this way, right?”

 

“Yeah,” Luhan said. He walked besides Sehun to their next class, happy that he had successfully gotten closer to his roommate. At this rate, it looked like it wouldn’t be long until the two were close friends, and Luhan couldn’t wait.