Candidate #1

You're My Wife.

There are not many people in the cafe, as it is still working hours. I yawn for the umpth time since I first enter the cafe. I am already on my second cup of green tea when I take a glance at my watch again. From what I feel like nervous in the first place has turned to bored and tired of waiting. He still hasn't show up in my first ever blind date. I try to think positive, that he might actually caught up with some work or already on the way here, caught in some traffic and such. But still, he should have give me a call, or maybe even a text is good enough, because I really hate of waiting. Time is money, especially if you're talking about my time. To think that I actually postponed a few of my important stuffs in office just to make time to see Aunt Soo Hee's son, but ended up waiting for already one hour and fourty-seven minutes makes me pissed off. I even told my staffs that I need to take half day off today since I need to find some of my wedding stuff, which is not a total lie. I am finding stuff for my wedding. I'm finding a husband.

After a couple of minutes more of watching people passing by the cafe, from the glass wall, a guy catches my attention when I see him get out of his car. He takes off his shades as he alters his hair a bit, spikes it up a bit more as he watches his reflection on his tinted window. And when our eyes meet, he freezes for a few seconds before giving me, a somewhat guilty smile. I smile back a bit as the nervous feeling comes back. I start to think of a topic as I eye him to the main door.

"Annyeonghaseyo. I apologize for being so so so late. My meeting was dragged longer than it was supposed to." He bows slightly making me stand up and bows back.

'Excuses.' I thought to myself.

"Annyeonghaseyo. Gwenchanayo, have a seat please." I reply, just  trying to be polite. I catch him checking me out from head to toe before taking a seat in front of me. Well not that I'm complaining, cause I do the exact thing.

'Debenhams suits. Hermes belt. LV shoes. Pfft.'

"Kim Woo Bin imnida, managing director of Sang Hyun Group." He offers a handshake.

"Jun Ji Hyun." I said casually as I shake his hand.

'Proud of your title, huh?' I thought at his introduction.

"I know. Of course, everybody knows. The Almighty Jun Ji Hyun." He lets out a soft chuckle as he states the fact.

Well, in business world, you can say that I'm as famous as the actress Jun Ji Hyun. I've been featured in a few of top korean business magazines, named as one of the most influenced business lady in South Korea, also top 10 female directors in South Korea and even Japan, also the youngest board of director who have sharesarrow-10x10.png in a few of South Korea top companies, and the list goes on. I have received many awards in business world as well, namely Female Entrepreneur of the year, South Korea's Top 10 business incomers, youngest female entrepreneur who conquered few differents industries and etc. Other than working in the office, I own a restaurant and a boutique with my own brand. Even though it's not that famous yet, heck yeah, I'm just 29 and a half years old and I am very proud of myself. This is because, I have achieved everything on my own. I started at the most bottom of the cycle. I don't inherit family business, I don't even have business background, I don't have any political connection, I don't have anyone who can offer me any position in any company that I want and I'm not even rich to begin with. I come from a moderate family. Just a normal, typical family. I work on my very own, at least the people in business world acknowledge that. I abandon my social life by a lot, to reach this point. There's so many business people who support me and there are also haters. I understand that not everyone is please with what I have achieved today. They just have a thing or two to say about me every time. Even reporters are trying to make up scandals for me. They just wouldn't leave me alone. But whatever. I still want to achieve more.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet you in person." I snap out of my thoughts as he says that.

"Oh, it's nothing. Don't exaggerate." Rule number one. Don't trust people who would compliment you on your face, but trust those who criticize you on your face. Therefore, I couldn't trust this guy in front of me. Well who knows that he might be one of them, who would say nice things in front of you, but spit out the blackest thing you could ever imagine behind you. The only thing that business people are good at other than making moneyarrow-10x10.png, is backstabbing their friends. Which I find too common happening around me.

I call out the waitress to let Woo Bin order his drink.

"Americano. Please make it thick." He says to the waitress.

 

"So.. how's work?" He begins right after the waitress walks away.

"Work is fine. Not that busy since we've just cleared the latest project."

"Oh yeah, I heard about that project. I hope it's still not too late to congratulate you for getting that project. You really deserve it." He smiles.

'Of course. And I'm not letting you know anything about it. Na-ah.' I know what game he's playing.

"Oh, that is so sweet of you. Well thank you. How Aunt Soo Hee's doing?" I change the topic, because I don't want to talk about work-related stuff. He might have the intention to get some information from me as his company is actually one of our top competitors.

That's when it hit me. I should stop judging him and being so negative! He's my mum's friend's son. And for God's sake, he might end up being my husband as well.

'Be nice, Ji Hyun. Be nice.'

"She's fine. Oh ya, she sends her regards to you and invites you over for dinner, whenever you're free of course."

"Oh sure. Thanks for the invitation."

He smiles and I smile back. We are engulfed in an awkward silent as it looks like both of us are running out of topics.

"So.. Do you come here often?" He attempts.

"Well not really. I will usually ask my PA to take away drinks for me. So... yeah.." I nod as I say that. I don't really have to ask him back since I know that he always come here, and he's the one who suggests to meet at this cafe in the first place.

"I see..."

The awkward silent bites us again so I decide to sip on my tea, to act casual.. Maybe?

I start to think that this guy is definitely not my type. There's clearly no spark between us. At all. 

He tries a different topic and we talk, like really talk but from times to times, I just find him boring and I think the same goes to him. He would makes jokes to which I don't find funny at all. But I end up smiling, just to be polite. And at times, he would compliment a lot of things about me, how pretty my eyes are or my smiles, even my hair colour.

 

After a few minutes of talking, we get into an awkward silent again. That's when he suddenly excuse himself to the gents.

When he stand up from his seat, he is about to turn to the opposite side to the washroom when a waiter stumbles into him, making a customer's drink on the waiter's tray splashes right onto his chest, and even onto my handbag where I put on the table. Judging from the look on his face, Woo Bin is clearly surprised, even I am.

I reach the tissue on our table and stand up to help but before I could do anything, he pushes the waiter on his chest as he hisses fiercely.

"What the are you doing? Do you know that this is a very expensive suit? It's a ing limited edition and it's a ing Debenhams!" 

I am stunned at his choices of words. Even more stunned to know that the kind and polite Woo Bin can change in milliseconds.

 

A few of other customers turn to look at us as he is being really loud. That waiter who's wearing a trainee name tag looks like he's about to cry in any second as he apologizes and bows for so many times.

"You're so ing stupid. Can't you even see that I'm standing up just now? Then what's your eyes for huh? Might as well just become blind! Now who the hell gonna pay me back for my new suit huh? Even if you work until you die, you still couldn't afford to pay me back! You're ing poor ."

Wow, my blood boils at his words. Mistake happens sometimes, why does he has to go that low? That guy just spilled on ice coffee, not some dog's poop! I've worked as a waitress before when I was in high school. So I know the struggle is real!

I feel so disappointed at this one ed up guy in front of me. 

 

"Call your manager out. ing call your manager out now!" He continues making a chaos.

That's it. I can't stand this anymore. I throw the tissue in my hand onto the table, forgetting my first intention to help him as I grab my handbag on the table, ignoring the fact that my supposedly white handbag has turned brownish on the top. I take out a couple of hundred thousand won notes from my purse as I walk close to them.

"He apologized, didn't he? Why do you have to be that low?" I say in my typical stern voice as I push his chest a bit to make him faces me. I realize how tall he is when we stand that close, his skin is very nice and he's handsome, his man cologne is exactly my type, but of course all of that don't matter now, isn't it?

"Just because you're doing pretty good enough in your life, that doesn't mean you deserve to look down on someone else's. And please, you're just a managing director in your dad's company. So I would say, there's nothing to be proud of, cause you have achieved exactly nothing. You should go out and try to work with someone else to see where you actually stand in this league... And by the way, here's some money for you. You can go and get your suit dry cleaned. You don't need to buy a new suit just because you spilled some ice coffee on it." I fold and put the money in his suit's pocket. It is his turn to be stunned by my action.

"But let say if you need to, then give me a call. I'll buy you a brand new one... And FYI, one doesn't need to wrap himself with designer's brands from head to toe to show people how rich he is. You just have to think classy and act even classier." 

 

I turn to walk away but I don't know why do I still feel very mad, maybe because I already fix an expectation on him but he just crashes everything in a split of seconds? Without me knowing, I turn to face him again.

"I can say you and your ed up attitude, Kim Woo Bin. But I rather say thank you for not wasting my time any longer."

I harshly put a couple of ten thousand won notes on the table before leaving the cafe making Kim Woo Bin and every customer swoons at what just happen before them.

 

[No one's POV]

After Jun Ji Hyun storms off the cafe with a pretty scary pissed off face of hers, Kim Woo Bin who's still standing on his spot finally breaks out a smile. He always think that marriage is not his thing. All this acting he has been doing every single time he goes to a blind date that is set up by his mother, to make the girl rejects him because of his ed up attitude actually does not really work. Most of the girls will actually gets angrier to the waiter, who's actually his PA in action. They would create a bigger commotion, or some even pushes his PA on his chest too, as the ice coffee would splash on their hand bags, depending on where they place their hand bags though. The actual plan is that, the PA will splash on whoever stands up first, and if the girl gets mad and shows her true color, Woo Bin would call it a day and use it as excuses to not meet again. But just now was too awkward for him, so he decided to volunteer to receive the ice coffee on his face.

But out of all girls he has been trying that acting on, only Jun Ji Hyun acts differently. And the words she spits just pierce his ear drums one by one with that matching expression she has on her face. She even looks like she's about to hit him just now. Becaus of her temper, no wonder she's known as the Witch Jun Ji Hyun. Even Kim Woo Bin acknowledges that now.

 

"You did a good job today." Kim Woo Bin gives his PA a pat on his shoulder as both of them still stun from Jun Ji Hyun's words just now.

"Wow, Woo Bin ssi... She's so cool." The PA mutters under his breath, handing a dry towel to his boss, making Kim Woo Bin turns to face him with a small smile on his face.

"I know right." Woo Bin mumbles as he recalls Jun Ji Hyun's little speech.

 

[Back to your POV]

I change the radio channel in my car as I'm waiting for the other person to receive my call.

"Yoboseyo?"

"Oh. Eomma. It's me." I greet her as I hear her voice on the line.

I look at my side mirror before changing lane to the slowest lane as I want to focus on my call.

"Umm.. Eomma, mianhae. I don't think Aunt Soo Hee's son matches me. His personality is very different from me. I barely can converse with him just now. There's just so many awkward silent." I blurt out my report as how she demands. I refuse to tell her what has happened in the cafe earlier as I don't really want to paint a black image on Kim Woo Bin.

"Aigoo, it's because you only went out with him once. Maybe you can't find some chemistry yet... Try to go out with him another time and see how it goes. Pleas--"

"Eomma no. Ummmm. I don't think so I'll be going out with him again. Things just don't feel right with him. Don't make me go out with him another time, please? Let's move on to other guys, okay?" I sigh exasperatedly as I swear to myself I better not see his face anywhere again. He really drowns all my energy. All the silly things that happened just now already made me feel so tired of finding a husband. No wonder I don't do blind date from the start. It's just not my thing. And it makes me overworks myself.

But to think that I have an image to be taken care of, I decided not to give up now. I can't. I need to find a guy. A prefect guy that is kind of my cup of tea.

I snap out of my thought when I receive a call from my PA.

"Oh, eomma. I'll call you back later. Hyo Joo's calling me." I said before ending up the call and receive Hyo Joo's call.

"Eonni! You better come to the office now Mr. Jang is making a chaos again but this time he's complaining about you to the chairman and I don't know what he said but the chairman wants to see you for an explanation I already told him that you took a half day off to find some stuff for your wedding and surprisingly he answered 'She'd better be here in 15 minutes, before I make her wedding off.' omona eonni na ottokaee?!" Hyo Joo says in a breath.

"! Umm, it's okay Hyo Joo ya, I'm nearby. I'll be there in 10." I sigh before changing lane and stepping hard on my gas pedal.