Life Goes On

You're My Wife.

[YOUR POV]

 

"That's what I was saying. BMW i8, man." I was on the phone with Park Shin Hye, one of my best friends, while waiting for Jiyong in YG Group's cafeteria.

"Serves him right though, but luckily you still made it for the interview." Shinhye said. She quickly called me as soon as I uploaded the picture of my Audi on Instagram, with the hashtag stress, hashtag bad day and hashtag don't worry I'm still alive.

"It's not confirm yet that I get the job." I told her about my rough morning, leaving the part where the guy who actually hit me this morning might be my superior, if I get the job. 

 

After a long silence from her side, she suddenly asked. "Are you sure you're not injured anywhere?"

"Just my heart. It's terribly broken." I answered as I looked around for Jiyong. It's almost lunch hour and I've been waiting for 15 minutes.

"Yah. I'm serious though!"

"Me too!" Just then I saw a familiar face walked into the cafeteria.

'Oh, it's Jiyong's friend!'

"Shinhye ah, I'll call you back later... And please tell the others that I'm perfectly fine. I don't want to answer their calls and explain one by one." I said as I struggled to remember that guy's name.

"That's why you shouldn't post something like that on Instagram in the first place. You made me worried like hell."

"But I used the hashtag I'm still alive though. Doesn't it sounds convincing enough?" I pouted. 

That guy eventually saw me too and smiled from across the dining place as he walked towards me.

"I feel like driving to YG now and smack your head real hard, Jihyun ah."

"Arasso arasso. I'm fine. Okay, I really gotta go. Take care, bye." I chuckled before ending the call.

"Jihyun Noona?.. What are you doing here?" He greeted me with a big smile, making me felt more guilty for not being able to recall his name.

"Oh hi there! I applied for a job here and just done with my interview." I gave him my best smile.

"What? Wow. That's cool! Then we'll see each other often, I guess? By the way noona.... You think I don't know that you forgot my name?" He burst into a never ending laughter.

I held both of my hands up, as a sign of surrender. "I'm sorry. I'm very very bad with names. But I recognize face very fast though, isn't it a good thing?" I frowned. He just smiled.

"Is it Yang Pae or Young Pear.. Ah, noona is really sorry." Well I've tried.

"Yaaaa, it's Yeongbae ya." He wanted to act like he's mad but I think the situation is too funny that he just can't be mad.

"Give me some more time. I will definitely remember your name. Futhermore, we just see each other like, five times a year? How can you expect me to remember your name.."

"For a normal person, it takes like one or two times only to remember others' names. And my name is not that hard." He replied smiling. "Come on, repeat after me. Yeongbae oppa." He joked.

"Oppa my ." I said before he burst into laughter again. His beautiful eye smile is really contagious.

"Noona!" Jiyong called out as he ran towards us.

"Why are you so late?" I asked as soon as he stood beside me.

"I'm working, what do you expect? I can't just come down because you said so. This is not your place, okay."

I rolled my eyes at his statements.

"What were you guys talking about? Is it your name again? What is it this time? Last time was Yang Pa (onion), right?" Jiyong asked Yeongbae.

"It's Young Pear this time. Young Pear, okay." He said mimicking my British accent before both of them burst into laughter.

"Ahhh jjinjja." I wanted to be mad, but ended up laughing with them anyway.

 

After our lunch, I made Jiyong sent me home even though he insisted for me to take a cab because he was upset that I didn't call him right after the accident. My car was already safely arrived at the workshop and will take quite some time. To see it another way, at least I got to try to sit inside his new Lamboghini. Cheers to that, even though he didn't let me drive.

"Ah right. I wanted to introduce you to the hyung that I always talked about, just now when we're in office. But then he left early because he got some urgent stuff to do."

"Oh! That bingu hyung that lives nearby my condo?"

Jiyong chuckled. "Yeah, I talked about him a lot, didn't I?"

I nodded.

"Because he reminds me of you, and you remind me of him too. I can't help but to talk about you guys when I'm with you guys. He's a really wonderful guy. I think you guys can really be best friends as soon as you guys met up."

I laughed. "He'll be embarrassed though, cause I knew all of his secrets."

Jiyong suddenly stiffened in his seat.

"Um.. I think you too. Because he knows everything about you too.."

I widen my eyes.

"Yah! How can you tell other people my secrets?!" I smacked his shoulder.

"Noona! Can't you see I'm driving! Let's talk about this later, okay? Mianhae eo eo." He tried some aegyo on me. I facepalmed myself.

"Tell me what does he know?" I asked, facing Jiyong fully as I folded my legs on the seat.

"Noona, you should put on your seat belt." Jiyong complained on my habit of not wearing seat belt in car. It just doesn't feel comfortable. I never wear seat belt. Except when I bumped into police or when I was having my driving test, of course. I even modified my car so that it won't make the seat belt reminder sound.

"Don't change the topic, and answer me. Palli."

Jiyong chuckled. "Nothing important. Just some normal stuff, like you don't eat vegetables even at that age, you love cats so much even though you're allergic to their fur, you like cars so much and you drive so well, you love food so much and you can eat a very big portion at one time, you don't drink coffee or tea, you take alcohol well and can't get drunk, you're very very bad with people's names and directions but you can recognize people's face in an instance, you can't s--"

"Stop stop.... So he knows basically everything! Are you selling your noona away or something? How can you tell all that to a stranger? And how am I supposed to meet him in the future? How do I act cool when he knows all of my un-cool sides?" I hold my head and acted out like I wanted to faint, which earned laughter from Jiyong.

"Gwenchana noona. He always said you're cute despite of anything that I tell him. And he always wanted to meet you one fine day."

I smiled. "Me too. I really want to meet Jihyun's male version too. He must be really cool. Like me."

Jiyong took a glance at me before smiling widely.

 

Once we reached my place, I was about to bid goodbye to Jiyong when he suddenly grabbed my arm.

"Noona, what's that, at the side of your forehead?" He slowly reached the spot and I flinched at the sharp pain.

"Ouch." I pushed his hand away.

"It's a bruise."

Bewildered by his answer, I flipped open the mirror above the passenger seat.

"Wow, it is." I touched to confirm and yeah it's painful. There's a slight bruise started to form up at the side of my forehead. Man, this gonna leave mark for few days.

"Did you hit your head during the accident?" Jiyong's voice turned serious.

"I guess so." I answered, a little not too sure. "Oh no no. The airbag hit me! I was turning this side, eyeing a coffee shop and when the accident happened, the airbag came out for fun and hit my head." I said as I mimicked back what happened earlier. Now everything rushed in clearly.

Jiyong looked worried. "Are you injured somewhere else then? Do you want to go to hospital? Just to make sure that you don't have injuries at other places?"

"No no no. It's fine. It's just a bruise. I'm pretty sure I'm not injured at other place."

"But noona--"

"No it's really fine Jiyong. I'm good."

Jiyong sighed. "This is why you have to wear seat belt in cars, you know? At least it makes sure you have enough space between your body and the steering's airbag."

I looked at him in confusion as I can't relate what he just said. "That doesn't make any sense. The thing that makes sure you have enough space should be your seat's location from your steering wheel, not your seat belt."

"But seat belts hold you in your seat. For once, can't you just listen to me, Jun Jihyun?"

"Ne oppa." I rolled my eyes. I swear, Jiyong can be so scary sometimes.

"You have to leave now for your meeting. Don't worry about me. I'll call Minah unnie to drop by and check me up later okay? So don't worry." I assured Jiyong who's looking at me like I'm dying.

"Make sure you do that, please noona?"

"YES. Yes I will. You should go now." I said as I got off his car and waved at him.

A small smile formed on my lips as Jiyong drived off.

'Dami ya, your dongsaeng grew up so well. You must be proud, right?'

 

Later that night, I was shocked to find Shim Minah unnie together with Song Jihyo unnie and Shinhye too, in front of my door.

"I thought I called Minah unnie only? Is your name Minah too?" I cocked my eyebrow towards Shinhye as I closed the door behind us.

"We come in a set of three, madam." Jihyo said making me burst into laughter.

"Aish this gijibe, I wish I can just smack you, but too bad you're injured." Shinhye said as she hanged her working clothes in my living room. We're always like this, my house is their house too, and their house is my house too. Since we're all sadly single, we can just visit each other's place and sleep over anytime. Each of them have the access card to my condo and they know my passcode too. Same goes for me, I have their house keys too.

"Aigoo, Jiyong bothered me for the whole day to drop by your place. Since everyone knows how much you don't like hospital, and even doctors, so I'm bringing the whole hospital to you." Minah said as she unpacked her medical tools.

"You'll be the one and only doctor that I like for the rest of my life, unnie." I smiled widely.

"There's no use of kissing my now, I will still tell Jiyong if you need to go to the hospital or not."

"Aish unnie, cut me some slack, please."

"Okay patient Jun, come, let me take a look." Minah said, trying to be more doctor-like.

 

"I wanna watch that drama!"  "I wanna watch this cartoon!"

I rolled my eyes at Shinhye and Jihyo who's fighting over my remote control.

"Unnie, can you please act your age?" I said as I actually wanted to watch the drama too.

"I don't know how to act my age. I've never been this old!" She said dramatically and all of us laughed so hard. It always feels this good to have them around.

 

'Dami ya, are you here too with us, right now?'

All of a sudden, our moment in middle school, flashed before my eyes.

 

"Jihyun ah, what do you wanna be in your next life?" Dami asked as we lied down, watching the sunset from our school's rooftop. It has always been our place to chill. We even keep blanket, mat and pillow here. There would be other students too, sometimes. But most of the time, the whole place belongs to us.

"Molla. I've never thought of that. What about you?" I took a glance at her.

"Nado molla... But if I die first, I will stick around you. I wanna be the wind, the rain and the stars around you." Dami flashed me her gummy smiled.

I turned to look at her. "Yah, that is creepy. Don't do that."

She laughed. "Not in a creepy way, but in a sweet way. I will protect you."

"Aww.... Forget it, it's still creepy."

"Okay then should I be a man in my next life, then?" She asked seriously.

"Aniya. I should be the man. Cause you'll be too ugly for a man."

"As if you're that pretty!" She snorted at my answer. And both of us laughed.

"Should we get a plastic surgery?" She joked. Both of us knew that we're good looking enough. Since my dad is mixed blood, I have his eyes. Brown eyes. And Dami is just so pretty.

"I don't know about plastic surgery, but we should get a matching tattoo." I suggested.

She suddenly sat down and faced me.

"Should we?"

"Not now. You wanna die?" My mum will kill me if I get a tattoo at this age.

"Maybe just a small one, at somewhere hidden." Her eyes lighted up with hopes.

"What kind of shape do you want to do?" I asked her.

"Words. Like some good motivation."

I chuckled at her answer. "Where?" I asked again.

"Somewhere along the rib cage. At first I wanna do here." She pointed at her collarbone.

"But it would be too obvious." Dami pouted.

"When?" I paused. "Should we get one on your 19th birthday?" I suggested to which she nodded quickly.

"I think we're old enough right." I nodded at her statement.

"Okay, if on rib cage, hmmmm. I wanna write, 'forever young', like a small horizontal one. Gonna look good right?" I said as I imagined the English word on my rib cage. I got so hyped up that I feel like doing one right away.

"For me, umm... 'Life goes on'?" Dami smirked at me, showing off her English skills.

"Wuuuuu not bad." I said before both of us burst into laughter.

 

"Jihyun ah, are you listening to me?" I was snapped back to reality by Minah's voice.

"S-sorry? What did you say, unnie?" I don't know what's wrong with me, but recently I keep on getting all those memories with Dami. It felt like she's visiting me so that I wouldn't forget her existence in a part of my life or something.

 

"I said, I'm going to massage your head and shoulder part, since you look so tensed up."

"Oh.. okay." I said making her proceed.

"Are you okay? Now to think of it, you look kind of pale." Minah said as she started to look worried. The other two girls look at me from another couch.

"Should we just bring her to the hospital?" Shinhye asked.

"No it's okay. I'm just still sad of my Audi. No worries." I quickly find an excuse and it's a relief that they actually believed me.

"It's just a car. Come on, get a life!" Jihyo said, purposely wanted to start a fight with me.

"YOU get a life! 32 years old and still watching cartoons?" I yelled.

"Don't overwork yourself." Minah said and I actually did feel pain in my head right after yelling to Jihyo.

"I'm letting this go, because you're injured. Just know that." Jihyo turned to face the TV back.

 

After a moment, I excused myself to sleep as I actually felt very sleepy after the massage. I went into my room and changed into my favorite sleeping shorts. As I took off my shirt to change, from my reflection in the mirror, the 'Life Goes On' tattoo on my ribs caught my attention. I traced it with my left hand as I painfully smiled.

I really kept my words. I got myself a tattoo during Dami's 19th birthday, even though she's not in this world anymore at that time. And I used her words, instead of 'Forever Young'. It works to cheer me everytime, until today. I feel the warmth and the strength, behind this tattoo.

My phone on the bed rang all of a sudden making me flinched. I quickly put on my loose tank top and lied beside my phone. It was a facetime from Jiyong.

"Yes?" I asked him with a sleepy face.

 

 

[Kwon Jiyong's POV]

"Are you sleeping?" I looked at her tired face.

"Was about to. What's up?" She asked with half-opened eyes.

"Did Minah noona drop by?" I asked as I dried my hair with a towel with one hand. And another hand, keeping my phone close to my face.

As if on cue, I heard voices of girls fighting from Jihyun's side and straight away knew they're all still there. Maybe sleeping over as usual.

"Yes. Comes in a set." Jihyun rolled her eyes.

I laughed. "Good then. Did she say you're fine?"

"Yes. Just my veins were a little bit too tensed up. Not sure because of the interview or the accident, though." Jihyun answered with fully closed eyes.

"Noona, you might want to hold your phone a bit further. Your face looks so big, so scary." I joked as I settled down on my bed too.

She smiled, still closing her eyes. "Minah unnie gave me a good massage and I straight away feel sleepy. She's so good. Highly recommended."

I chuckled. "Geurae? Then I would like to set up an appointment too... or should I come over, now?"

"You sound like you're unemployed, Jiyong ah. Are you that free?" She yawned.

"Noona, switch off the lights and sleep." I said.

"Shireo. They'll switch it off for me later." Her voice got softer.

"Arasseo. Goodnight noona. Sleep tight." I said softly and she didn't reply anymore.

I looked at the face that had been through so much. She deserved to be happy, after being so broken mentally. She's one strong girl. She bottled up everything inside, she hides her insecurities and inferiorities well. She always try so hard to show that she's happy. It took quite some time for her to find herself back, but eventually she did it.

"Ah right. I forgot to ask you how's your interview today." My eyes were still on her face and I can hear some soft snores.

"Tomorrow then."