Mr. Jang

You're My Wife.

"Oh, eonni you're here." Hyo Joo greets me as soon as I get down from my car. She looks so scared and guilty.

"Where's Jang?" I ask as we walk to the lobby.

"In hwejang-nim's room." She answers as she keeps her head down.

"It's okay, Hyo Joo. I'll take it from here. You can leave now." I reply before entering the lift. She should be off work since it's past working hours.

"No it's okay. I'll wait until you finish." She says softly as she is about to follow me into the lift but I stop her.

"You look exhausted. You should go back and rest. Good job." I give a soft pat on her arm as I thought she is scared of the chaos Mr. Jang has caused in the chairman's room.

I am about to press the close button to which Hyo Joo stops me.

"Eonni... I-I'm so sorry.."

"What for?"

I feel weird but somehow shrug it off as I just press the close button. I'm late anyway.

 

I knock on the door to the chairman's room to be greeted by his old voice, asking me to come in.

"Annyeonghaseyo hwejang-nim. I'm so sorry to make you wait." I keep my voice soft, but loud enough for him to hear from his luxury couch.

I bow when our eyes meet. I bow to Mr. Jang as well who clearly looks unpleasant with my presence.

"Have a seat." I nod at his instruction as I take a sit on the empty couch, creating a triangle of our chairman, Mr. Jang and myself.

 

"So how's your wedding preparation?" Our chairman asks casually as he smiles at me.

"Pretty good so far." I reply with the safest answer. He nods as he clears his throat.

"I was in Osaka when I heard from the directors about the inicident the other day.. And you know, that was not the first time you attack someone in a big meeting nor the first time they complain..." I'm trying to read our chairman's eyes to see where is this conversation going.

"I wouldn't say you did very well that day and I wouldn't say that you're totally wrong either, even if Mr. Jang is a good friend of mine." He sips on his coffee while Mr. Jang nods in approval as our chairman sounds like he's taking Mr. Jang's side.

I feel the urge to smack Mr. Jang's head all of a sudden.

"You want any drinks?" Our chairman suddenly asks to which I politely reject since I'm kind of eager to know why is he gathering me and Mr. Jang together in his room.

 

"Well, regarding that matter, most of our directors actually complained that you're being disrespectful first towards Mr. Jang which leads to the argument."

'Excuse me? I was being disrespectful first? You're kidding me.' My jaw drops as I silently curse the board of directors in my mind.

 

"I would say both of you are wrong because you guys are being emotional in workplace." His voice is flat but strict.

"But I would want to hear your side of the story too." He continues.

I take a glance at Mr. Jang who's looking at me with you're-going-to-get-it-from-him eyes. This is just like my fourth or fifth time seeing our chairman since I joined this company because he's always in overseas. He has treated me nicely before but now, it looks like he doesn't really like me that much.

I'm kind of mad actually when I think of that day again. And right now, I feel tired too because today is so long, it seems like it would never end. 

 

"Hwejang-nim, I admit that I might be a little disrepectful towards Mr. Jang but I was just being professional. As a superior of him, I pointed out what was wrong with his proposal. Okay, maybe my words were a bit harsh but why would he bring up my personal affairs in the meeting room?" 

I don't care if Mr. Jang is there or not. How can I respect someone who's been doing fraud and corruption and goes around acting like he's an angel in the company? He's a backstabber, a liar.

"If you talk a little nicer, I wouldn't have replied you like that." Mr. Jang defends himself.

"Your never know how hurt is my feelings. I see you like my daughter and I can't imagine if my daughter talks to me like that." He continues.

', please. You're nowhere near to be my dad.' I suppress the urge to punch him on his big nose. He sure knows how to act.

 

"I hope you understand that I'm not taking anyone's side but I kind of have the same thinking with Mr. Jang on that. Even though you're his superior, what's wrong with treating him with some respect? " Our chairman interrupts.

He's a good leader, no doubt. But it's such a waste that he trusts Mr. Jang so much.

"It is not a big issue. I hope you guys can take this as a lesson and be good to each other in the future." He clearly wants me to apologize and I get his message.

 

"Hwejang-nim, I'm sorry. But I can't apologize for not respecting someone who's been committing fraud and corruption in this company and acts like he's innocent." Without me knowing, I already spill the truth. And I don't really care anymore. The chairman needs to know this.

"W-what are you talking about?" Mr. Jang stutters as he points to my face.

"Mr. Jang has been faking receipts and invoices that are involved in the projects he handles. He takes most of the company's remaining budgets into his own pocket, hwejang-nim."

"What are you talking about?" It's our chairman's turn to ask.

"Stop creating stories just because you're pissed off at me." Mr. Jang defends himself.

"Hwejang-nim, I won't say that if I don't have evidents. I am 100% sure that Mr. Jang has been committing fraud for the past three years." I say calmly.

"What is this, Mr. Jang?" He asks Mr. Jang. There's a slight raise in his voice.

 

"You know what you're saying can be a serious crime, for accusing him, right?" He turns to me and I can see there's anger and confusion in his eyes.

"You said you have evidents? Where is it?" Mr. Jang challenges.

"I can sue you for this if you don't have it." He continues.

"Yes, I do. I keep all of the documents in my office." With that, I leave the room and walk into my room which is just at the end of the same floor.

 

I scan through the files on the rack to find for the yellow file that I use to keep all the fake documents of Mr. Jang.

"."

But I can't seem to find it. I look closely to the labels again, and even take out other files to find for it.

 

"Where is it? Where's your proves?" Mr. Jang and the chairman are already at the door to my room.

"I-it should be here." I mumble as I take out all the documents on the rack and flip through one by one.

 

"See... You're just making up stories, didn't you?" Mr. Jang is clearly satisfied with the situation.

 

"Jun Ji Hyun, what is this?!" I flinched as our chairman yells. It is my first time seeing him that angry.

"Hwejang-nim. T-t-trust me. It's real. I'm not lying." I frantically find for the documents which my life depends on it now. But it's just not there. I couldn't find it.

 

'Why isn't it here?' 

 

"I am so disappointed in you. Very much." His eyes are fierce. I freeze in my place. 

"I demand a public apology for accusing me." Mr. Jang looks at me in disgust.

 

I shake my head no. "Even though I don't know why the documents is not here, but I will never apologize for saying the truth." I raise my voice.

"Hwejang-nim, if you give me time, I can get back the copies--"

"Enough is enough, Jun Ji Hyun! You better apologize now." Even our chairman looks at me in hatred.

I am stunned at how things has turned out.

 

I shook my head no again. "Hwejang-nim.."

"Do you know, that you just lost all of my trust in you? I am really disappointed. I didn't know you would go this low, Jun Ji Hyun." Rather than mad, he sounds very disappointed. And that makes me sad.

"Hand me your resignation letter tomorrow." With that, he walks away from my sight.

"Kid, that's why you don't mess up with me."  Mr. Jang sneers at me as he leaves my room.

 

"It should be here. It should be here..." I continue searching for the documents.

"Damn it. It has to be here!"

I let my body fall on the floor with all the files.

 

I am confused and disappointed in how things end up. It shouldn't end up like this!

There so many possibilities running in my head. Either Mr. Jang goes into my room and dispose the documents- but he doesn't even know I've been keeping his documents and this whole thing; or the cleaner ahjumma cleaned my files- but she never touch my rack cause I told her not to since the first day; or I misplace it somewhere- but I've never bring the files anywhere; or.......

 

Hyo Joo betrays me.

 

"Eonni... I-I'm so sorry.." 

 

I recall her last words.

 

"Couldn't be. She wouldn't do that." I stand up and walk to the computer.

I just remember that I have a soft copy in my pendrive where I keep in my drawer. And only me and Hyo Joo knows that.

I open the drawer and see the pendrive is there. I silently pray to God that the softcopy is still inside as I connect it to the computer.

 

"Please please please."

I double click on the folder where I keep it to which I found.

 

"File's empty."

 

Hyo Joo has betrayed me. She really did.

 

 

 

It's almost 9 when I brought down all my stuff that I have packed from my office room. I have no intention to do any public apology or to beg the chairman to let me stay. I don't even want to stay here anymore with all the people backstabbing each other around me. I had enough. I thought I would never see this kind of situation again, after for 4 years I've changed company because of similar situation. But I could never be so wrong.

 

"Eonni......" I heard that familiar voice when I pass by the lobby. Hyo Joo's still there, with her guilty face. She's holding tight onto the strap of her handbag- the thing she does when she's in trouble.

"Are you the one who dispose the files and deleted the soft copy in my pendrive?" I keep my voice calm even though there's no one else in the lobby. There's still a tiny bit of hope in me that she would say she doesn't do it on purpose. She accidentally dispose it or what.

 

She slowly nodded. 

That simple action from her crashes my heart into pieces. Anger, betrayal, disappointment, sad and pain rush into me.

 

I continue to walk to the main door.

"Eonni... Please listen to me first." She follows behind me.

"If you wanna say sorry, then don't. Cause I'm pissed off. And I don't want to hurt you." I say without even looking at her. I've never been this mad to her.

 

"Eonni pleas--"

I drop all the things to the floor and turn to face her. She step back to keep her distance from me as I can see that she's really scared.

"Seriously?! You want me to listen to you, huh?" I exhale sharply.

"After for four years, Hyo Joo ya... Four years.. How can you betray me now?" I can't hold it any longer. The pain is even worse than breaking up, worse than getting fired, worse than failing in my projects and even worse than facing my father's death.

 

"Out of all people, you know very well what I've been through. I thought we are more than colleagues. I thought we're friends! I've treated you so well. How could you--"

I can't even finish my sentence. Hyo Joo is already crying.

I feel like screaming at her, telling her that I'm the one who should cry. Not her.

 

"Do me the last favor as my PA.."

"Write my resignation letter on my behalf." I continue after a long pause.

 

Hyo Joo looks into my eyes.

"Is there any way I can fix this?" 

I sneer at her question.

 

"You're disgusting. I despise people like you the most. I don't need help from people like you." I never thought there will be a day, I would talk to her like that.

I pick up my box and is about to walk away when Hyo Joo says,

 

"He knew that we've been gathering evidents of his doings. He just knew it a few days back so he came and find me today, since you took half day off. Eonni, he threatened me. But at first, I said I wouldn't betray you even if he fires me... But then, he said he would make my family in my hometown suffer. He even told me that a few of his guys has beaten up my younger brother.." Hyo Joo is on her knees, crying out loud in the middle of the lobby.

I am surprised. I just freeze in my spot as I watch her cries.

 

"I thought he was lying. But he asked me to call my mum and ask her. And I did. She said he's in coma now... Mr. Jang said if I still insist not to give him the hard copy and soft copy of the documents, he would do the same to my parents.. I want to make a police report but he doesn't even give me time to decide. That's why I just dispose everything.. Eonni I'm so sorry. I don't know what to do. I was scared. So scared. I've never been this scared, eonnie. I don't wanna lose my family, eonnie... "

'What have I done?'

I've judged and insult her without knowing the reason why. And because of me, her family suffers.

 

"I thought this would only happen in movie.... You know, eonni. I'm nobody. I don't have power like you guys. I don't have influence like you guys. I don't even have money like you guys. I'm weak. I'm poor. I'm disgusting. I can't even protect my younger brother... My family."

I walk to her and make her stand.

I want to say sorry, ask her not to cry, tell her everything would be fine but nothing comes out as I hug her.

 

"Eonni, it's okay if you don't forgive me but please don't hate me so much. I really like you as an eonni and really look up to you. You're like my role model and I wish to be someone like you in the future." She says, still in tears.

'Oh God. What have I done?'

"Hyo Joo ya, don't say anything anymore." Just imagining how cheerful she is everyday but right now she looks so weak, makes me feel so mad. So so mad at myself. And Mr. Jang of course.

 

"I'm gonna make him suffer." I say as I break our hug to which Hyo Joo shakes her head no.

"Don't, eonni. I know you're capable of that but don't. If you do that to him, then there's no difference between you and him anymore."