Candidate #2

You're My Wife.

[YOUR POV]

Today is the fourth day after the interview in YG, and I started to lose hope at the thought that I still haven't heard any news from them. I've been spending the last four days working out (as in real hardcore exercise), and also helping around in my restaurant and boutique, it was hectic! And the fact that my car is still in the workshop made me even more upset.

"Kamsahamnida." I closed the taxi door after I paid the fare. I rushed into the building as I covered my head with my sling bag from the rain.

 

 

"Oh, eonni! Annyeonghaseyo!" A few of the volunteers greeted me as soon as they saw me.

"Annyeong!" I smiled warmly.

 

"Wow eonni, did you lose weight? Your face became so small!"

I laughed at one of them who's sweeping the floor.

"Are you that broke that you don't have money to eat anymore?" Another one asked sarcastically. All of them know that I'm unemployed. Tsk.

"Yah, my face is always this small. Don't you know?" I rolled my eyes and they laughed.

 

"Come on babies, eat. Aren't you happy to see eomma is home?"

I added more of the dry food into their bowls as I just watched them play with the new toys I brought in. 

"YAH it's food time!"

I earned chuckles from the volunteers.

"Eonni, I think they must have forgotten you since you didn't visit them for so long." A girl who's been helping me with the food voiced out.

I let out a small smile. "At least you guys are here to take care of them."

 

It has been almost five and a half years since I opened up an animal shelter in Hannam-dong. I love cats and dogs so much but I'm allergic to their fur, for certain breeds, so I'm unable to keep them in my house. Ever since I was a kid, opening an animal shelter has always been the top on my bucket list. And I made it finally, with some help from the government as well.

When people asked me, 'Why an animal shelter? Why not a home for the poor or something for the community?'. I would always give them the same answer. 'Because people can speak. They can talk. They can try to work it out. If they are hungry or they don't have money or if they need something, they can ask from anyone. Most of the time people will help them. But what about stray dogs and cats? They can't speak. Even when they ask for food, they got kicked and stones thrown to them.'

When I first posted the idea on my Instagram, I received a lot of supports. Financially, it wasn't that much but more than my expectation. There's funds from foreign countries too sometimes. Physically, there are a lot of animal lovers who contacted me, offering their energy since they can't afford to contribute financially. But of course, it's a big help having them here, taking care of the pets. There's even a veterinarian among the volunteers who offers medical help. He basically owns a clinic so he always visit the shelter at night at least twice a week. Since there's a lot of pets, we need to treat any sick pet quick, before it spread.

As for now, there's 26 regular volunteers, and I hired 2 part time universities students to help around. They created their own schedules and match the hours they can work in a week to ensure that there will always be just enough people in the shelter at a time. The shelter is opened up for adoption too. So anyone can just walk in and find their new buddy and adopt them for free. We will perform a medical check up too, before the adoption takes place. And people can bring in any lost pet or strays too. We even have our own Instagram page where we upload their activity daily.

 

"Noona, how's Bingu? Heard he was sick?"

My eyes followed the movements of the cats and dogs that were goofing around with each other.

"I still don't have the chance to meet him... Thinking to drop by tomorrow." I smiled at the maknae volunteer.

Other than having this shelter, I have another commitment in Seoul Grand Park Zoo too. I've registered as volunteer since I was in my high school days. I took a few years off since I went to UK to study. But even when I was in London, I registered myself as volunteer in London Zoo. Well you can say, I definitely prefer animals over people. Because people are such a pain in the .

"I see. How's your interview? Heard you had one in YG."

I looked up at him standing beside me while I was still squatting on the floor.

"Where and why did you hear a lot of stuff about me? Do you probably have interest in this noona?" I asked with my best proud face and a few of the volunteers sneered as response.

"Please. You need to get rid of that baseless and useless confidence."

I widen my eyes at his answer. I quickly grab the soft toy in front of me and throw it right on his face.

"Ouch, noona! Not on my face!" "Junhoe ya, that's why you shouldn't mess with a witch."

I turned to glare at another guy as he said that.

"Mweoya?! Yah, come back here!" I was about to grab another toy when he ran off with the mop he's been holding.

 

It was 7pm when I left the shelter, after spending almost 10 hours there. I even treated them lunch and some snacks, as appreciation for their hard work.

"Sorry. Am I late?" That guy took a glance at his watch as he took a seat in front of me.

"No. I was early." I gave him a small smile.

 

So, here am I again. A blind date.

Why? Because everyone in my ex company knew that I'm getting married. But since I have resigned, I don't really need to do this anymore, right?

So why do I still do this?

Because my mum thought I really wanted to get married and apparently since-I've-resigned-I-don't-need-to-get-married-anymore is not a legit excuse. And she was so happy and excited that I finally have the thought to have someone by my side. I just don't have the heart to tell her that I don't want to do this anymore.

 

"Ah, right. Lee Jong Suk imnida." He reached for a handshake to which I followed.

"Ji Hyun."

He has a very cute smile. And wow, look at that skin!

In my opinion, he is very pretty in person. I mentally noted down to ask my mum where did she find all these very fine men for my blind dates!

I was about to pull my hand when I realized he wasn't letting go.

"Nice to meet you." He kissed the back of my hand as he sent me seductive smile.

Dang, a playboy!

 

I should have seen that coming. With that perfect face, mama boy, goes to work whenever he wants, some politician's son.... Of course, it's only legit if he's playboy.

Or gay. Either one.

"Nice to meet you too." I smiled as I hoped I was wrong, that maybe he was just being a gentleman. Plus, kissing the back of the hand is very common in UK too, but not in Korea though.

 

After we ordered our food, he suddenly stared at me as if I got something on my face.

"Yes?" I laughed nervously.

Dang, why is he so pretty?! He made me feel like asking him what skin care does he use!

He just let out his infamous smirk as response. "So, I heard that you just resigned from GS Group? What happened?" He was being very casual despite of our first encounter and I liked that.

"I just thought I need some new challenges--"

"You're very beautiful."

"Sorry?"

He smirked again as he gulped down his drink ily.

"I'm sorry, actually I don't really care why you quit your job." He was being honest and that made me laughed.

 

"So are you really single?" He asked as he locked his eyes with mine.

"Obviously? If not why would I be here, sitting with you, Jong Suk ssi."

"I don't mind you calling me oppa."

Yikes. Is he going too fast? And we're the same age though.

 

Despite of him being over friendly, it kind of deflect my purpose. I'm looking for a husband. Not a one night stand.

When our food arrived, I started to ask more about him.

 

"I don't work. I mean, why would I need to work? My dad's wealth alone is enough to support five generations." He laughed as he said that.

Wow. That is so arrogant!

"Then what's your... Umm, aim in life?" Why do you even live and contribute more damages on earth?

"Aim?" He laughed at my question.

"Spend the rest of my life with someone beautiful like you?" He winked.

Oh please, how many girls have you tried this sentence to?

 

As we talked, I just realized that he's not cute. He's just so snobbish. So arrogant, and erted as . I caught him checking out girls that passed by and also a waitress. Who cares if he has nice skin?

By that age, shouldn't a guy be serious enough about finding a purpose of living? If he's still in his early 20's, I would say his behavior is rather cute.

While we were having our desserts, I was about to tell him that this should be our first and last encounter when he suddenly excused himself to the washroom.

I just nodded and finished my food as I took out my phone to text Minah. She'll be fetching me up as usual cause I just happened to have some trauma of taking taxi at night.

 

Once he came back to our table, instead of sitting in his original seat, which was in front of me, he sat at the empty seat beside me. He brought his seat closer, which made him dangerously too close to me.

"So... what are you doing later?" He asked casually.

"Just go back home and sleep? Kind of had a long day today." My body ached from cleaning and playing around at the shelter today.

"Oh come on, it's still early. And you don't even need to work tomorrow."

I was surprised when he rested his arm on my shoulder.

What is this unnecessary body contact?

 

"Jongsuk ssi--"

"Why don't.... We continue our conversation in my place?" I swear I see some ing lust in his eyes and I got goosebumps straight away.

"Jongsuk ssi... Mianhaeyo.. But I'm not into that. And I don't have any intention like that." I removed his arm from my shoulder and faced him properly.

"Don't tell me you're really looking for a husband?" He looked at me like I was being ridiculous.

"Then do you expect me doing all this stuff because I got nothing else to do?" Calm down Jihyun.

"Too bad... I was thinking maybe we could be... Umm somewhat friend...? With benefits kind of thing...?"

I was beyond bewildered at his reply. Seeing no response from me, he continued.

 

"Oh come on, it's not even a big deal nowadays.. You studied in overseas before, right? I expect you to be 'open minded'?.. Or.. Are you just playing hard to get?" He smirked as he casually looked around the restaurant.

Wow, look at this piece of . He's just the son of a politician. Not even a minister! Look at that, look at that. I let out a chuckle anyway.

"Don't get me wrong. I'm not playing hard to get.. I just refused to play at all." I stood up as I locked my eyes with him. I'm so done with this blind date.

 

"I hope we don't see each other anymore, even by coincidence." As usual, I put on a few 10000 Won notes on the table for my food.

"Also, please grow up... and have some purpose in life. It's not even cute to play around anymore, in that age."

With that, I just left him stoned on his chair.

 

Can I not do this anymore?

 

I walked back to the shelter since I promised to meet Minah there, and as expected, Minah came with the other two.

"Did you wait long?" I grinned as I entered her car.

"Ani... but, why were you from another side?" She cocked her eyebrow.

None of them knows about my blind dates and I don't plan to let them know even. That is just so embarrassing. Me? Out of all people? Went for a couple of blind dates? And I'm the one who's been telling everyone that I won't get married or will be the last one to get married.

 

"I thought you said you're from the shelter." Jihyo eyed me suspiciously.

"Yeah, I dropped by the convenience store." I answered briefly before all of us sang along to the song on the radio. Yes, we're always this random.

"You don't have anything to do right? Jiyong wants to buy us dinner." Shinhye suddenly voiced out.

"Sure. I'm all yours." I said seductively and get sneers as respond, as usual.

"Wow, Jihyun ah. Just be unemployed forever, please. We barely can talk to you when you were employed. Even every time we slept over at your place, it felt like you're cheating on us! Your body was there but your heart and mind wasn't!" Jihyo said before all of us burst into laughter.

"I know right! And don't even mention when she came back late night and left very early in the morning. And when we asked you to have meals together and even took away the food to eat at your place, turned out you didn't even come back for the whole night because you were rushing for a project.. Man, we felt like we're some dumped housewives!" Shinhye added.

"Wow, was I that busy?" I wiped the tears forming in my eyes because of the good laugh.

"All of us are working too you know, but your kind of busy is just on a different scale! Aigoo, just don't get married at all please. Your husband will seriously be mentally tortured..... And who knows physically too." Minah said.

"Right, eonni! Whoah, her temper is really no joke." Shinhye added.

"Yah yah, enough." I rolled my eyes.

 

As soon as we met Jiyong, he started to brag about the new tattoo he got on his neck. And after some gossiping with ALL the girls, they ended up talking about me again. And to make it worse, even Jiyong wasn't on my side.

"Imagine her husband needs to make appointment first to sleep with her and she'll be like, 'umm maybe you can call back later after I check my schedule?'" Shinhye imitated my way of speaking and all of them laughed hysterically.

"Or if her husband is sick and calls her but she'll be like, 'What do you get calling me? Go call the doctor.'" Jihyo tried so hard to act like me.

"And if he cries on her shirt, she'll be like 'Not here, this shirt is expensive!'" Minah joined in.

"If they fight and if he says something like, 'I can't live without you.' Noona will surely be like, 'Then die die.' 100% confirmed." Jiyong was so immersed into his acting.

"Yah Kwon Jiyong, I thought you would at least be on my side." I munched on my rice harshly. Jiyong treated us some heavy korean meals. Luckily I just ordered something light with that politician's son earlier. 

"Mian noona.. Next time." He chuckled and all of them high-fived each other.

"You're just too tough for any guy."

"She can knock down any man's ego without effort, man."

"Good. Stay tough, noona."

I sighed. Knowing that they won't stop any sooner, I just keep on eating but would sometimes laugh with them too. I knew I should be mad because they were imitating me, but dang. They did a great job!

 

 

"Jiyong ah, should I get a wife instead?" I broke the silence in the car. Jiyong was driving me back since Minah need to fetch another two fatasses, and my house is in the same direction with Jiyong's, anyway.

He took a glance at me. "You're not being serious right?" I guess he was confused by my serious tone.

"I don't know. I just lost all my confidence when you guys said that my husband will be mentally tortured.. Plus, I need someone to cook for me, clean my house and wash my laundry." I sighed. Men are so lucky! Especially if their wives are housewives. They have someone to cook for them, clean for them, but I definitely don't understand why some of them still want to cheat?

"You need a maid. Not a wife. Why would a wife do all that? I'm definitely not gonna let my wife do all of the housework. I'm not even gonna let her wash the dishes." He said in enthusiasm even though his eyes were fixed on the road.

"That's why I want to marry you! No, I NEED to marry you, Jiyong. Marry me please." I fake a sob. Jiyong took a glance at me, grinning.

"Am I crazy? Do you think I'm gonna marry you after I heard that you're looking for a slave?"

I rolled my eyes.

"Right, by the way how's your car?" He suddenly asked.

"They need at least a week. I should have offered them more money. I knew this would have happened."

"Why don't you just pay a little bit more? It's hard for you to go everywhere, right? Even though you're unemployed now, but you still visit the restaurant and boutique right?"

We were just 5 minutes away from my house.

 

"I don't have money anymore. Kind of overspent this month. And I don't want to touch my fixed deposits."

Because this month, even the fund for the shelter is not that much. And there's a slight drop in my revenue from my business too. I paid for Hyo Joo's dongsaeng's hospital bill too, even though she refused. Then I don't have fixed salary anymore since I got fired. Basically. So I overspent, but it's okay.

"Right, when can I know whether I get the job or not in YG?" I've been dying to ask Jiyong since that day but I forgot.