out

You're My Wife.
"I really hope I can fetch you to eommonim's house though. Too bad I'm on-call." Chang Wook suddenly said while his eyes were fixed on the road.
 

I felt a sudden heartache. Even someone who has no relation with me wanted to help. I'm sure even if I ask the girls or even Jiyong, they will help too. But why not my own brother?

I really didn't know what is family, until I met these people. My parents were too busy when we were child. We were always on our own. It's very hard to even have a proper meal together. We were lack of attention and love. My parents never had the chance to attend any events in our school too. That's why my brother resent them a lot. He blamed them on how he turned out- always fight in school, a problematic student, a rebel son. The blame is always on them, even until now.

But, it's different for me. I know they were working hard to feed us. They're doing it for us. I studied hard and did everything at my best. And that's even more why me and my brother can't just get along. Seriously I'm so tired of having cold fights with him.

"Jihyun ah." I snapped out of my thoughts.

 

"Oh mian, did you ask something?" I was so out of it. Yesterday I went to the gym and then to the restaurant, and today I spent my whole day in boutique and I need to fetch mum for the medical check up in a few more hours.

"Are you okay? You look very pale."

We were already at the drop off area in Chang Wook's hospital. I got off the car and walked to the driver's side.

"I'm just a little tired. It's okay, I'll just sleep at eomma's place later." I flashed him a smile and acted like I'm still fine even though I was really worn out.

"You just came back from the boutique right?" Chang Wook paused. "Okay why not you wait for me, just for a while. Let me ask other doctor to cover up my place, and then I can drive you to eommonim's house.. The appointment is at 8 right?" He took a glanced at his watch and then eyed me worriedly.

I chuckled. "It's okay. I'm really fine.. Just go in.. I'll text you when I've reached." I pushed him a bit. He just stood there and watched me get into the driver's seat.

"Aww I can feel my heart melts... Go in palli, before I jumped on you." I eyed him ily.

Dang, just if he's single! He's so much of a boyfriend material.

Chang Wook rolled his eyes.

"Drive safe and take your time okay? I can wait, so you don't need to rush back." He looked at me sternly.

"Yes sir!" I made a salute and was about to speed off when he stopped me again.

"Jamkkan!" He signed me to roll down the window.

 

"I'm really, really glad you came to me when you need help... I hope you wouldn't feel reluctant to ask for help anytime, cause I will.... I always will be there for you... Arasso?" He gave me a pat on my head before he left.

I couldn't help but to feel bitter again. Of course he would help, when he knows everything. Anyone would help me, when they know what I've been through, how I grew up.

But why wouldn't my brother?

 

"You're one sad child." I said to myself as I finally let my tears dropped.

After for so long. 

 

 

 

 

"Cholestrol... HDL. LDL... Blood pressure... RBC... Hmmm." 

I eyed the old white-haired doctor up and down. My eyes roamed around the room and stopped at the glass plaque on his table.

'DR. EDWARD KIM'

Chhhh. Why do people always want to have an English name.

"Overall the result is fine. Just keep on exercising, like morning walk... And no stress okay... And no shock, especially beyond what her heart could afford." The doctor eyed me and I got his point right away.

 

Heart attack, heart failure.

These are what I'm so afraid of. My dad passed away because of heart failure too. He never went for medical check up so no one knew, not even himself.

"Ne algessumnida."

"You can collect the medicine at the pharmacy in the Ground Level... And please follow the instructions well." He continued.

"Ne, kamsahamnida songsaengnim." Eomma bowed slightly before both of us left for the pharmacy.

 

 

"Are you sure you don't want to have breakfast first?" Eomma asked for the umpth time. I checked the time, 11.15 am.

"Umm maybe next time?.. I need to return the car. Chang Wook is waiting." I smiled guiltily.

"Arasso. Be careful when you drive... Aigoo you don't even get enough sleep last night." Eomma started to nag.

I reached around 4 am last night. I bawled my eyes out in the car for an hour plus, and this morning we left around 6.30 am, to avoid the terrifying morning jam.

"I'll sleep later. No worries.... Take care eomma, I'm leaving now." I gave her a hug and kisses on her cheeks. Something that we never did before. Not until appa passed away and we realized how distant we were to one another.

 

 

I was 15 minutes away from Chang Wook's hospital when I received a call from Hyo Joo.

"Hyo Joo ya!" I picked up a little too excited.

"Ne eonni. How are you doing?" I heard she chuckled on the line.

"Good, good. What about you? How's your family?" Her brother who's in coma passed my mind, and all of the incidents too.

"I'm calling to inform that Hyeon Woo has waken up this morning."

I quickly pulled over by the roadside and immediately hit the hazard light on. I quickly took off my headset and reached for my phone.

 

"What.. What did you say?" Am I hearing things?

I can hear Hyo Joo muffled cry and chuckles. She must be so relieved. How long has it been.

"Ne eonnie. Hyeon Woo woke up..."

My sight became blurry by my tears.

"Thank God... Thank God." I was so speechless and happy. Too happy for their family.

 

 

"But he said he can't feel his legs."

 

 

My mind went blank.

"W-what?" What does that mean?

Hyo Joo burst into tears. "They said his spinal cord and nerves are badly injured."

My hands started to tremble and tears dropped non stop.

 

 

"He's paralyzed, eonni."

 

 

"Send me the hospital address."

And with that, I sped off to pick up Chang Wook.

 

"Hey what's the rush? Have you eaten?" Chang Wook asked as soon as he got into the car. I already gave him a call that I need to rush to the airport. Hyo Joo's hometown is in Jeju Island. I stepped on the gas pedal and drove towards our condominium.

I don't know where to start. Chang Wook knew about Hyo Joo and our incidents and why I resigned. He knew everything but I can't seem to tell him about Hyeon Woo yet. I still felt like everything was a dream.

I'm scared if I say it with my own mouth, it will become the truth.

"I need to fly to Jeju now.... I need to meet Hyo Joo."

Chang Wook didn't ask more but I can feel that his eyes were fixed on me.

 

Chang Wook followed me into my house and just watched me packed my stuffs. I basically threw any clothes that I found and undergarments too. He suddenly went out of my room and came back with a few plastics of bread.

"You should eat something." He said as he throw them into the luggage.

I just nodded at him and went into the bathroom to take my toiletries.

"Let me send you to the airport." Chang Wook already rolled my luggage out while I was putting on my jacket.

 

"You can just drop me here.. I haven't buy ticket yet but there's a flight in an hour time." I pointed to the drop off area.

Once he pulled over by the side, I quickly went down to take out my luggage from the back passenger seats. Chang Wook went down as well to help.

"Gomawo. Jinjja gomawo.. I'll thank you properly once I came back, okay." I said and Chang Wook pulled me into a hug. I can feel his warmth. It felt so good to know that I have someone who I can lean on.

"Don't forget to eat... And don't be stingy. Buy business class and sleep well, arasso? Even if it's just one hour.. You really need proper rest, Jihyun ah."

I chuckled, breaking our hug and gave him a small pat on his back.

"Arasso. Don't worry... You should go back and sleep too.... Seriously. Thanks a lot."

He shook his head. "Aniya.. It's nothing... Palli, go in."

I waved at him before rushing into the airport.

While I was walking towards the counter, I felt a sharp pain in my stomach. I ignored the pain and went to get the ticket first. I seriously have no time for gastric attack.

Not now. Please not now.

I don't even feel like eating or anything right now. I guess it's too late to eat.

 

After getting the ticket, it was already time for boarding. I quickly rushed to the gate and by time, I swear I can feel like the world was spinning. Once I made it to my seat, I quickly texted Hyo Joo that I'll be there soon and I also checked the hospital name. And all of a sudden I feel like vomiting.

, it must be the gas.

I quickly reached for the paper bag provided and held it near my mouth. But nothing came out. My stomach and my head felt so awful. I started to sweat like hell and my hands were trembling because it felt so cold. I didn't even bring my gastric pills. Damn it.

 

"Miss, are you okay?" A stewardess finally asked, a few minutes after we departed.

"Sorry can I have more blanket?" 

She smiled and walked away and came back with a thick blanket.

"Are you sure you're fine?" She was very worried, and to be honest I felt very weak.

I mumbled a yes anyway and stood up slowly to wrap my whole body but then, I felt the world spinning again before it turned black.

A loud thud was heard and I felt my body on the cold floor, followed by the panic call of the stewardess.

 

But I was too weak to respond.