A Bad Start.

You're My Wife.

"Dami ah, d-d-don't do it. Don't do it, jebal!" I was more than desperate. Tears were running down my cheeks, unstoppable. Dami was just a few meters away from where I stood.

"Don't come closer Jihyun." Dami didn't even bother to look at me anymore. Her eyes roamed towards the nearby skycrappers, from the 17th floor of our company.

"P-please Dami. You have a bright future ahead. There are so many guys out there who are way better than that bastard! He doesn't even deserve someone like you. He's a jerk! Dami ah, please get down." I was hoping that I could persuade her.

Dami shook her head no as she let out a painful smile which broke my heart even more.

"But. He's different.. He's everything I could ever ask for.. I love him Jihyun... Too much. Even after what he did to me... I guess now I know why they say that love is blind." Her eyes didn't look like they're belong to her anymore. They're used to be so cheerful but now I see no emotion in them, as if she really had given up of everything. Even her voice was so soft, as if she didn't have any energy left.

I grabbed this chance to get myself closer to her.

 

"Jihyun don't come!"

Her hoarse voice making me stopped on my track.

 

"Dami please."

"Back off. Back off Jihyun!" Dami said fiercely as she stood up and got closer to the end of the terrace.

"Dami!" I dropped on my knees at the thought of losing my best friend, who's more like a sister.

 

"Don't you love me? Don't you wanna grow old with me? We promised to graduate together right? Forget about Jung Soo Yeon, what about Shinhye, Mina unnie and Jihyo unnie?! We promised to work together, get married together, get kids together, remember? We promised to do so many things together right? Remember our bucket lists?" I spat out anything that crossed my mind.

Dami turned to face me even though she's still in the same place.

 

"But it's impossible for me now.. Jihyun ah, it hurts so much.. I can't take this anymore, mian."

I shook my head. 'Sorry' was the last thing I would want to hear from her. What I want the most was that she's off the goddamn terrace!

Tears started to well up again in the corner of her red swollen eyes. For the umpth time of that day.

 

"Annyeong."

 

Before anything, she closed her eyes. Her tears dropped to her cheeks at the same time she let her body fall from the rooftop.

 

 

"Kwon Dami!"

I sat abruptly on my bed. My eyes roamed around the bedroom. I was drenched in my own sweat. My hands were cold and my whole body was trembling. My chest heaved up and down very quickly as I struggled to breathe. I was choked by guilt, by fear and by pain. Tears welled up in the corner of my eyes at the memories of my best friend who committed suicide right in front of me and the fact that I couldn't even do anything to stop her, killed every side of me.

I reached for the switch to my night lamp on the bedside table. Soon my trembling hands found their way to the drawer, taking out a bottle of my anti anxiety drugs as I took a clear look again of my huge bedroom. I pushed in two tablets into my mouth as I struggled to open the water bottle on the same table.

I have actually stopped taking medicine for my anxiety for a long time but this time, I just can't help it. Feeling pathetic and miserable as usual, I brought my knees to my chest as I muffled my own cries.

 

'It's okay. It's just a nightmare.'

I would repeat that for the rest of the night whenever I get this kind of dream. It has always been Dami jumping off from the rooftop of everywhere.

"Nappeun gijibe.. If you wanna visit me, you should have at least smile." 

How I miss that bad girl so much.

 

I didn't realize when did I fall asleep but it was already 4pm when I woke up. It had been a week that I stayed at home, so I finally decided that enough is enough. I have to leave my so-called 'comfortable zone'. I've been avoiding everyone's calls as I really wanted to be alone. My mum was super worried cause I've been acting exactly the same like last time, when I first knew how betrayal tasted like. I didn't eat much, I didn't sleep much, basically I didn't do anything. I will just zone out most of the time and think how it would have ended if I do this and that. But this time, it was nothing like betrayal. I just felt pure guilt and couldn't stop blaming myself for what had happened to Hyo Joo.

However, that incident was sealed tightly. Only Mr. Jang, the chairman, me and Hyo Joo who knew about it. The chairman said that, Mr. Jang requested for him not to let the incident out as it was not good for my image and the company's too. But, who the was he kidding? I knew that he's scared if this rumor goes to public, and if the shareholders find out, they obviously will request for a proper investigation. And that bastard will be caught red handed. Futhermore, he even refused to take any further action against me and he said that he has already forgiven me, except the fact that I can't recall when did I even apologize.

The chairman would compliment Mr. Jang from time to time in the email that he sent to me the other day, how I have done a very big mistake, how I should have just apologize to someone as kind as Mr. Jang and stuff. It took every piece of me for not throwing my laptop to the wall.

Other employees thought I received a better offer so I switched company. When that rumor went out, there's a very slight drop in the company shares as the shareholders demanded for the company to make a public announcement- to explain why did a director actually leave, despite of having a very promising position in the corporation. It's quite a chaos but I don't really care anymore. I even received a few offers from other companies to work with them. But I still haven't decided yet. I'm considered lucky because with my working experiences and successful projects, it's just a matter of time for me to get employed again. And even if I don't get myself employed, I can just focus on my boutique and restaurant. I have set them up as my back up plan long time ago, since I realized how y I am sometimes and how I can lose my job in a split of seconds.

Exactly like now.

But for Hyo Joo, she has resigned from the company too. She said it's impossible to see Mr. Jang around without the feeling of chopping his head off and jump on it until it smashed into pieces. She couldn't even make a police report as she said Mr. Jang will clearly win the case, with his power and dirty money. Hyo Joo used the excuse that she wanted to help her parents' small business back in hometown so that's why she has to resign, which was a total lie.

No one knew how hard has it been for her. Until today, she's been staying in her hometown, taking care of her brother who's still in coma. Her parents think that it's just some random gangster fight and there weren't any witness at that time. She can't even tell them the truth. And I can't even sleep because of her. She didn't even want to take my money when I visited them. She said she will come back to Seoul soon, to find for a job again. And she said the same should goes for me too, I need to move on and stop blaming myself for what has happened. I should not break apart and waste my time when Hyo Joo is trying so hard to put everything back into its places.

So today, I have made up my mind. Even though I want to let things pass, but eventually I can't. Since I chose not to fight them in a dirty way, so I decided to do it legally and with pride. I have 4 years experience with that company, and if I may add, also important information about them. So being the witch Jihyun I am, I decided to use it against them. And the most important thing, since they have declared this war, I shall call for a revenge. Well I can do that much.

At least for Hyo Joo's dongsaeng.

After a few hours of staring at my ex-company top competitors list on my laptop, I smiled at the screen as I finally decided where to apply for job. 

YG Group, my next employer-to-be.

 

 

I switched off my laptop and brought it together with all my other stuffs. After I made sure that I have switched off all the lights, I left my penthouse and straight went off to the underground car park, where my baby was waiting for me. After placing all my stuff in the car boot, I head towards my mum's place to spend the night there.

 

A supposedly just an hour drive became a two hours and twelve minutes journey because it was Sunday, and the traffic was insane!

As I parked my car in the garage, I was amazed by an unfamiliar beautiful matte black lamborghini aventador in the same garage. Since I'm so into car, I keep awe-ing at the car, touching every curve on its body.

Until when I heard someone coughed behind me. I quickly put away my hand from that gorgeous beast as I was worried that I would scare off my mum's guest.

 

"Noona, you haven't change at all." He said as he let out a chuckle.

 

I stunned at the person in front of me.

"Oh, Kwon Jiyong! What are you doing here?"

"After for so long I didn't meet you, is that how you greet me?"

I chuckled at his remark as I rushed to hug him. He's just about my height. It's either he's too small or I'm too tall.

 

"How long has it been since I last met you?" He asked, still not breaking off the hug.

"I seriously have no idea." I sincerely smiled at his question even though he can't see my face, of course.

"Noona, did you get fatter?" He joked.

Seriously I didn't see that coming. I bit his shoulder playfully as a sign of rebel. He flinched a bit but then just laughed it off.

We were both silent for a few seconds before his voice turned serious. 

"Is everything fine, noona?"

 

I hugged him tighter at his question to which he responded by patting the back of my head softly, then playing with my hair. I assumed he knew what's happening from my mum, since I didn't really tell anyone except my mum. But knowing her, maybe half of the South Korea already knew my story, or even until the North.

I closed my eyes, embracing the moment. Jiyong is one good dongsaeng. We're like a real noona and dongsaeng, especially after Dami, his real noona passed away. Dami and I went into the same school, since kindergarten until university. We were best friends ever since we got to know each other. In high school, another four girls joined us. Two of them were our senior but we were all so close to each other that basically I called their parents omma and appa too.

Right until that incident happened.

It was the breakpoint for all of us. I was just 18 years old and was in my first year of university at that time.

It was tragic.

 

"Everything will be fine." I snapped back to his beautiful voice, as if he's trying to reassure me that everything is really going to be fine.

"Gomawo Jiyong ah. Jinjja gomawo." I nodded as I pat his back a few times before breaking off the hug. But he held my hands instead as his eyes searched for mine. I smiled at him for being so matured even though he's just one year younger than me.

"Aigoo, uri Jiyongie grow so much." I joked as I pat his head to which he just replied me with his best smile.

 

"What are you up to these days?" I asked him as I opened the car boot, taking out my stuffs.

"Been busy with work as usual. But I often drop by these few days. Eomoni is really worried about you." He tried to answer me casually but failed.

"Thanks for accompanying her, whenever I can't." I took a glance at him.

"Yah, aren't you helping me with my stuff?" I raised my eyebrow at him making him come over to help me with my huge luggage.

"Yah, are you moving here for good?" There's irritation in his voice as he nagged all the way into the house with my stuffs.

 

As we entered the living room, as if I'm the guest and he's living there, Jiyong announced my presence. 

"Eomoni, look who's out of her cave!"

I softly smacked his head with my empty hand. My mum quickly rushed to the living room and pulled me in her embrace, which I gladly embraced her back.

"Eomma, I'm sorry I didn't return your calls." I said softly.

"Ommo, have you been staying up all night again? When is the last time you eat?" Looking at her worried face gave a slight pang in my heart, how I've been so selfish. She must have been thinking about me all the time and I don't even bother to reply her calls.

"Eomma mian. I just needed some time alone but I'm fine now. Jinjja." The last time I talked to her was when I told her that I have resigned from the company because I had a slight disagreement with my employers. But of course she knew right away, if it was that small of a problem, I wouldn't have been like this. I wouldn't even resign in the first place.

Everyone around me knows how much I treasure my career. They even say that basically my career is my husband and every project is my precious children.

Well, I wouldn't say that they're totally wrong either.

 

 

 

It was already 7.50a.m and I have an interview in YG Corporation at 8.30a.m on the dot. It was just 15 minutes away from where I was however, since there was happened to be an accident, the road was blocked, merging it into 2 available lanes only.

"Oh God. Jebal." I sighed for the umpth time as my fingers danced on the steering wheel, following the beats from the radio.

I shouldn't be late for my interview. Ani, I couldn't afford to be late. First impression is always important. By hook or by crook, I really need a position in YG. It's a mission of death or survive this time.

After for another 20 minutes, I finally passed the accident place and quickly sped off to YG Corporation, hoping that I could make it on time.

 

As the traffic light few meters away from me changing red, I slowed down my car because I clearly can't make it and the cars from the other side of the road were already so eager to speed off. What to say, it's a typical weekday morning.

I looked around the place as I was waiting for the red traffic light to turn green again.

"Oh, I know that coffee sho--"

All of a sudden, I received a huge force on my car from behind. My head almost kisses the steering. Luckily the airbag come out on time, but it still didn't feel any better of course. I felt quite painful on the side of my head.

Still in confusion, I looked at my back mirror and confirmed it again with my side mirrors.

 

"Oh no. No no no no." With a lot of emotions running through my head, I harshly opened my car door to take a clear look of what had happened. My heart almost stopped beating when I see my badass modified bumper became so dented in and flat like a freaking pancake!

"." I finally registered how serious the situation was.

'Oh my poor baby!'. How can this happened? She's just two and half years old! What kind of cruel fate is this?

All the memories I have with my Audi, since day 1, rushed into my mind. All the journeys we had taken together, all the time I showered and polished her, all the days I've slept with her (because I don't have enough time to go back home and sleeping in office alone was creepy), all the times I changed my clothes inside of her, all the moments I rap along with the music from the radio.

Tears started to well up in my eyes.

I turned to look at another poor car who was clearly driven by an . My heart almost stopped beating again when I saw a hot red BMW i8. I even felt like fainting at the sight of that supposedly badass looking front bumper and grills looked like it just went through a failed plastic surgery, even the hood was so badly dented out! That was just how harsh he banged my Audi baby.

A guy in a white button up shirt with a plain black tie and plaid slacks smashed his car door and rushed to my side. He was way more pissed off than me even though he was the one at fault.

"Oh my God.... Oh my God. No." He looked like he was about to cry and I seriously don't give a .

 

I was about to give him a good long speech when he suddenly turned to face me, before taking off his shades in a harsh manner that his soft brown hair followed the movement of his motion.

My heart almost stopped beating again for the umpth time in that morning, when our eyes met.

Voila, that guy looked so damn fine!