Family?

You're My Wife.

One day passed and I still didn't hear any news from YG. "Why are they taking so long.... Is i8 guy purposely taking his own sweet time as revenge?"

I was on my way up to my house when my phone in my handbag suddenly rang. I signed to the people in the elevator to go first as I struggled to find my phone.

 

'Breathe before you answer'

I cocked my eyebrow at the caller's name and checked the time too, 1 am.

I took a deep breath before accepting the call.

 

"Wae?" My greeting was short as usual.

"You need to take eomma to her medical check up tomorrow morning. I have flight so I can't make it." His voice was cold, emotionless as usual too.

"What time?"

"8 am."

I felt like cursing at him right away. Just why the hell he needs to set up that early of an appointment?! He accompanied eomma for the last check up and I think he purposely set up that early cause he knew he needs to fly on that day so he can see me suffer. And see, he told me just a day before. Oh, not even a day, it's just 7 hours before!

 

"Sleep at home so you can make it tomorrow." He suddenly said. Because it takes like 40 minutes to the hospital even from eomma's house, with no jam.

I had a really, really long day in my boutique today, dealing with a lot of designs since we'll be launching new dresses for the upcoming season.

"I don't have car here." I started to get annoyed. I mean, he knew that my car is still in the workshop. And even just now, one of my employees had to drop me home.

"If you tell me earlier, at least I could sleep over last night or try to work it out somehow." I can use eomma's car to drive her to the hospital but how do I go to eomma's house first?

"What do you expect? I was busy working.. I didn't get myself fired like someone." He raised his voice.

 

I can feel my blood boiled when he mocked me like that.

"I. Didn't. Get. Fired.. I ing resigned." I rolled my eyes so hard until my eyeballs felt so painful. "Plus, you don't need to worry about me. Even without that job, I'm already busy with my business. They didn't name me as one of the top incomers for nothing." Dear God forgive me, I'm not boasting around and I'm thankful for everything.

Not even once that I'm proud of myself, nor I feel myself is better than anyone else. I've never bragged like this to anyone, but him.

"Yeah right. Let see if you can keep that title this year." He replied.

"Aww, why don't you just worry about yourself? You think you can beat me with your small income? It's just a matter of time before you end up retired and has nothing to eat." I swear I didn't mean a single thing that came out from my mouth.

"Oh, YOU worry about yourself. FYI, my shares in South Korean companies might be a lot more than you. So, when YOU don't have anything to eat, make sure you don't come to me."

I snorted at his reply. "Yeah, right. Said someone who couldn't even afford a house." He's still staying with eomma at that age.

"At least no one calls me forever single witch in my work place, hah."

 

I bit my lower lip at his remark. Wow, that burns real bad.

"No one talks about you because no one even realize you exist!" Take that! How you like me now?

"Hey, listen. I don't have time for your bull.. Just take a cab to our house now."

I froze at his reply.

Take a cab? At 1am? Is he kidding?

I know we're not like other siblings, we hated each other a little bit too much. And no matter how both of us wanted to deny it, we're still blood-related, biological siblings. Whose oppa in this world can ask his one and only female dongsaeng to take a cab at this hour? It's not even near!

 

"I'll kill you if you couldn't make it for tomorrow's check up. There's no more empty slot after tomorrow." He threatened me.

"THAT'S EVEN MORE why you need to tell me earlier." Breathe Jihyun, breathe.

I ran my fingers through my hair harshly. Even at the thought of taking cab at this hour already make me drenched in cold sweat.

I can't call and ask Jiyong to fetch me to eomma's house. My house is like half an hour away from Jiyong's house and the journey to eomma's place is like an hour away. That will just be too troublesome.

I can't ask the girls too. It's already this late and all of them need to work tomorrow since it's Monday.

I already felt like crying.

 

"Can't you... Fetch me?"

I asked even though I already knew his answer.

 

His cold laughter burnt me.

"Who do you think you are?..... A princess?"

I remained silent.

I'm your....

Sister.

 

"Listen.. I don't care if you got kidnapped before.. And I don't even care if you get kidnapped again. Either you take a cab, or walk home, arasseo?"

He ended the call.

My breathing became heavier as the bad memory ran into my head.

I was just around 5 years old and oppa was 15. I wanted to follow him to his friend's house but he didn't let me. So I sneaked out and followed him quietly. After roughly 15 minutes of walking, he caught me. I still remember how furious he was. He didn't want to walk me back home so he just hailed a cab and told the driver where to drive me and he gave me money too. Eventually we weren't going home. We got further and further than my housing area. He pulled up in front of some abandoned warehouse and pulled me by my hair to get me out from the cab. There were other children too and he did say something about trading us off as slaves.

I still get the shivers even at the word 'kidnap', let alone when I think back about it or even see it on news. These people are sick. Children slavery is so sickening and the most disgusting thing ever. I mean, how could they do that to children? How on earth even they have high demand for it in the first place?

At that time, I was so lucky that the police found us in the same day. One of the guys from the gang betrayed them. Turned out that taxi ahjussi and few of the guys were on wanted list. Huge amount of money was waiting for anyone who have any information about them. They've been doing the illegal business for few months back then. The case even made it on the 9 pm KBS news.

But of course oppa didn't bother much. He got scolded a lot that day, and eventually we grew even further since that day onwards. He always blame me for everything. And the fact that eomma and appa loved me more because I'm smart and well-behaved bring more reasons for him to hate me.

 

I slowly slipped my phone in my handbag and made my way into the elevator. The only way I can think of is borrowing Chang Wook's car. But even so, he would need to take a cab tomorrow to work. I sighed.

Without myself realizing, I was already in front of his unit. I was reluctant but then, I really had no other choice, didn't I?

I punched in his passcode and made my way in. I checked the shoe rack, just in case if his girlfriend is in. Like, what if they're having some 'quality' time together, I wouldn't wanna be a light bulb.

After making sure that he's really alone, I slowly tip toed in, afraid that I would wake him up.

But, even if he was sleeping, I should wake him up right? Or do I just take his car key and leave him a message. But what if he has important stuff to do? I need to know his schedule too right?

 

I was debating with myself when suddenly he opened his bedroom door.

"Eomma!" He gasped and quickly rubbed his chest. I felt like my heart almost dropped to the floor at his scream too.

"I should have gotten used to this already." He mumbled as he walked to the kitchen.

"That's why.. It's not even the first time." I said out loud. I mean, both of us go into each others' house as we like, why is he so surprised.

"Oh, by the way, are you going... anywhere?" I eyed him up and down. He was wearing a white formal button up, tucked in and black pants.

"I'm on-call." He answered shortly as he drink some energy drink from his fridge. "Why? Do you need anything?" He asked afterwards.

"C-c-can I borrow your car? I need to bring eomma for her medical check up tomorrow.. Ah not tomorrow, later at 8.." I hesitated for a bit. Chang Wook looked at me.

"Pfft what a relief... You look you're about to ask me to marry you or something.. " He chuckled. "Lucky you came in time... Let's leave together then. You can drop me in the hospital and come back after you're done." He flashed his gorgeous smile as he motioned that he's in a rush.

"Oh.. Okay, sure sure." I followed right behind him.