Years Have Passed, You Have Remained

My Snowman

It’s been 5 years and I still have the letter he gave me. I kept it, because he became a part of me I cannot erase. He’s my guardian.

 

I open my box and take the letter out. I’m gonna read it again for nth times.

 

The letter goes like this:

 

Dear IU,

 

I guess when you read this, I’m probably dead. But I’m still alive, watching over you. I’m your guardian, remember? And now, 24 hours, I’ll be watching over you. I asked God about it and I dreamt that he allowed me to.

 

I’m happy for that. And dear IU, please do remember I love you. You gave me the feeling of being special and loved. You have made me special, IU. Your love for me is too much and I always think I’ll no longer suffice that. I should be dead a year before I met you, but I didn’t. It’s because I promised to the two persons that are close to your heart, your parents.

 

I promised that I will find their daughter and that I’ll take her pain away. I promised to them that I’ll make her feel special and tell her the truth. IU, that day at the park, when we first met, that wasn’t a coincidence. I was looking for you. And I have found you.

 

The first time I laid my eyes on you, you got me. Your eyes told many things about you, but when I realized you’re somebody’s possession, I cannot risk stealing you away from him because I don’t want to steal you away from your happiness. I have stolen the two important people in your life and I’m sorry for that.

 

But IU, my love, my Banana, you have given me too much than what I expected. The day when we became officially together was the greatest peak of my happiness. You have given me love that is so precious that I’m afraid I’ll lose someday. But I don’t want your love to be wasted. IU, I still know you love Myungsoo. He’s your first love, right? Sure I’m your first boyfriend, but he’s your first love. Nothing beats the first love.

 

IU, always remember that I love you so much. If I have 5 or more years left, I’ll marry you. But sadly, I don’t. My time is running out, my love. But not yours, and don’t tie yourself to me. Be happy because I want you to. I want you to be happy with Kim Myungsoo. Truth be told, I have stolen you from him. And that’s what I am sorry about.

 

IU, I love you so much. And remember that I’m still looking over you. Thank you, my Banana, my Angel.

Loving you,

Luhan

 

After I read it, I place it inside my box where I have stored our memories. That’s it.

 

I still need to read this book from a great author from USA. He’s a Korean, though.

 

I get the book, which is a thick one. I’m almost at the end of the story. So I need a time of my life to pass to finish the book.

 

It’s about high school students’ love life. The girl was torn between two boys: one that is Mr. Popular and one that is humble and has a cancer. It much seems to be my life in high school. The author is great.

 

I order it from internet because they say it’s great and many think so. I read their comments on the website of the author and they say it’s great. So I get a copy of it.

 

Moments later, I finish reading the book and I get pissed. Why? The ending goes like this:

 

Minho went to America to study and make his parents proud. Kimhee remained in her hometown, choosing Sehun and spend a happy life together. But it didn’t happen. Sehun died a month later. There’s no news about Kimhee for there’s no longer a connection between her and Minho.

 

There is no epilogue, just that one stupid paragraph. What happened to Minho after how many years? Is he married now, or what? And Kimhee also! Is she married to someone right now or remains single? That author! I’m gonna e-mail him!

 

I get my laptop and log-in to my email account. I check the company’s email account, and enter. I’m gonna tell you what you need to write about, stupid.

 

Mr. Kim,

I have read your story and it didn’t satisfy me. What’s with the ending? You didn’t write an epilogue. What happened to Kimhee now? Is she married? To Minho, is he also married?

 

What kind of story is that? Please, write an epilogue so it’ll satisfy me.

 

Thank you!

A reader,

Isha Uniqa Lee

 

Then I send it.

 

Gosh! He’s not good. The author’s name is Landon Jean Kim and he’s a Korean but an American citizen.

 

I am in London right now, just having a vacation. I finished my studies and I am now an artist, a singer. I am a member of the popular theater group, PRACE. This is my dream. I want to be a singer, an artist and here, I now am.

 

I looked at my laptop and there’s a reply. I click on it.

 

Miss Lee,

 

I am sorry for that. But it is not the first time someone complains about it. Do understand that Mister Kim’s work is being based on a true love story.

 

Perhaps, you want to talk and meet Mister Kim for an interview about his work and strategies, you may do so.

 

Should you wish to set an appointment, just send an e-mail regarding about your address.

 

His secretary,

Miss Lorie Wilson

 

Should I? But I want to know the ending, I mean, what happened to the rest of the characters.

 

So I said:

 

Miss Wilson,

 

For interview issue, yes, I want to set an appointment with Mister Kim.

 

By the way, I’m in London, checked in in a 5-star hotel. And tell Mister Kim that he better have a good and wonderful ending about the remaining characters when he got here.

 

Thank you, Miss Wilson. I appreciate your concern and effort.

 

Miss Lee

 

I close my laptop and readied myself to sleep. I still have to meet that Mister Kim tomorrow. Where are we going to meet?

 

I check my e-mail again. Ugh!!

 

Your hotel’s restaurant @ 12 P.M. Thank you, Miss Lee.

 

Fine!

 

-

 

I woke up early and prepared for the lunch meeting with Mister Kim. Wooo! I’m gonna be the first one to know what happened to the remaining characters!

 

When it is 11:30, I get down to the restaurant of this hotel. I still have a play on the 16th of June.

 

I hurriedly enter and a waiter approaches me. “Miss Lee?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“Table 14, ma’am,” he said, leading me to the table. A man is seated on one of the chairs and I can’t see his face. He’s facing forward so I can’t real—

 

“Mister Kim, here’s Miss Lee,” the waiter said and went away. The man turned to me and my eyes widened.

 

“Myungsoo,” I said.

 

“IU,” he said and smiled. I am surprised. I mean, he’s a businessman an—

 

He made me sit on the chair fronting him.

 

“Myungsoo, I thought you’re going to be a businessman?” I asked immediately.

 

He chuckled. He looks more handsome right now and he’s being matured.

 

“IU, you’re still that pushy one. Relax; I’ll be here for a week. I got all the time in the world,” he said, pouring me my wine.

 

“Thanks,” I said and sipped from it. “But how?”

 

He shrugged. “I’m still a businessman, but my own publishing company. I feel like I want to write. After all, there are so many things happened in my life that I think worth writing for,” he said and took my hand. “You, IU.”