He, Too, Gone Away

My Snowman

IU’s POV

 

But I never thought that would be our best moment. He went away.

 

FLASHBACK

 

The program was starting and I was looking for Luhan. He was nowhere to be found. I became so worried. I got my cellphone out and called him but no one was answering.

 

Isn’t he going to attend?

 

I sat down on my designated seat. I got something for him. Last week, he got me that mini-park and I felt bad because I got nothing. I made a couple bracelets for us and now, he’s not attending!

 

“The program’s going to start in 2 minutes. So settle down students and parents. We are about to start the program,” the principal said.

 

What the hell? Where are you, Luhan?”

 

Then I received a text message.

 

From: Luhana Banana <3

I can’t attend the program, Banana. My mother’s not feeling well. We’re in the hospital. I got Luis, our driver, to fetch so we can have our dinner together. Okay? I love you. Congratulations, my love. I’m proud of you. –L

 

Oh, my gosh.

 

I replied that he should be strong. His mom’s gonna be okay and that I’ll be coming.

 

The program started. All of the people in the gymnasium assembled in one place and parents are there. I got Suzy’s parents. I was seated in front because I was in the list of the top of our school. Fifth and that’s not bad for a transferee. Jiyeon’s the valedictorian and I never see that coming. Yes, she’s smart. Myungsoo’s also in the list. He was top 2 which makes him the salutatorian.

 

The principal was talking when Hara stood up and went to a teacher. She took his hat off and her coat. I cannot understand what she was saying but she was in a hurry. Before the teacher can protest, she’s already running away from the venue.

 

The people in there started to wonder but the principal made sure that everything’s okay and that Miss Goo Hara had something to do.

 

The program resumed and now it’s the awarding . . . next was Jiyeon was talking.

 

She was reciting her speech for the valedictorian address.

 

“ . . . this school taught us how to be independent, how to be strong and how to stand on our own. But I hope it doesn’t cut our connection, graduates of Dream High. We are still connected, we are Dreamers! And to end my speech, congratulations!”

 

And the celebration started. I cannot celebrate. I wanted to see Luhan. He needed me. I went to my girls and said that Luhan needed me. They allowed me, though.

 

I was about to exit when Myungsoo appeared.

 

“Hi, IU.”

 

“Oh, Myungsoo. Congratulations,” I said.

 

He nodded and said, “Yeah. Congratulations,” he said.

 

He was about to leave but decided not to. “IU, thanks for the memories. And I guess this is it. Goodbye, IU.”

 

“Yeah. I guess. Goodbye, Myungsoo.” I hugged him. That was the last though. We graduated and we were going the different ways. He’s going to USA today to study and me, Shido College.

 

After our conversation, I walked to where Luis was. But I passed by a group of students.

 

“Do you know why Luhan didn’t attend?”

 

“Yes. I have heard that he’s in the hospital,” the other student said.

 

“I hope he’s going to be okay. I heard he has brain cancer . . .”

 

“WHAT?” They looked at me in horror. “LUHAN HAS  BRAIN CANCER?”