Prologue

Hidden Secrets

“Dad! I will never take over your position in the gang! I hate you so much! You destroyed our family!” 15-year-old Jang Yunho screamed, ran towards the main door of the house and left their mansion.

“Oppa!” 13-year-old BoA shouted, running after her beloved elder brother.

“Baby girl…” BoA’s father, Jang Jun Hyuk whispered. BoA heard and turned to the direction where her father was standing. He was now lying on the floor with his hand clutching his heart. “Daddy?” BoA ran towards her father and shook him. “Daddy? Oppa daddy’s having a heart attack! Oppa! Come back!” BoA cried.

The front door opened and in came at least 10 men dressed in black. “Sir? Sir? Call the ambulance,” one said. Yunho was standing outside when his father’s men ran in. He did not hear BoA’s cries for him but he knew that something was wrong. He ran back into the house and saw his crying sister sitting on the stairs while his father’s men were standing around his father.

Yunho ran towards his father and knelt down before him, “ I’m so sorry Dad. Please don’t leave us. Please. What are we going to do without you?”

“Son…I just want you to know that… when your mother died because she wanted to save my life… I hurt as much as you do… but I cannot let you know that… I cannot let my men see my true colours… nor can I let you and BoA feel even more pain because of me... I had to be strong for you two…” Jang Jun Hyuk whispered with much difficulty. That is when Yunho knew that he had been wrong about his father being heartless all along.

“Daddy… save your speech when you get better,” young BoA cried while brushing away his father’s hair from his face.

“Baby girl… you know that is not possible…”

“Dad… don’t say things like that… you will be fine…” Yunho said, trying to look strong, but his tears gave him away.

“I love you two and your mother... your mother was the first woman to ever made me smile… and you baby girl… was the second… and you, Yunho, was the first thing in my life that made me feel proud… I hope you will take over my gang Yunho… it is already too late for us to stop the gang from functioning… if we do not continue… everyone under us will lose their only way of survival…”

BoA saw the plead in her father’s eyes and the reluctance in Yunho’s expression,, for she knew that Yunho’s dream was to become a police. “Daddy… don’t worry… I promise you… the gang will carry on running… I will take over your gang Daddy…”

“BoA! Do you know what you are talking about? What about your dreams of becoming a teacher?” Yunho looked at his sister with concerned eyes.

“I’m sorry…” and those were the last words that Jang Jun Hyuk said.