Steps Forward

Once In A Lifetime

 

“Well?” Nichkhun asks in my ear. “Will you forgive me?”

            “I guess,” you answer. “I forgive you.” Nichkhun releases you from his arms. “Thank you.”

            We sit down on the bench after buying kimbap from a street vendor.

            “So will you go out with me?” Nichkhun asks eating a piece of kimbap. “I have to ask cause I have to know.”

            You look at him, he’s clearly telling the truth. He really wants to go out with you. Your mind is racing with a million things.

            “Well?” Nichkhun asks. He looks at you with concern in his eyes.

            “I’m sorry,” you finally say. “I’m sorry but there’s someone else I already like. I can’t go out with you. Besides what will your fans think if you come out saying you’re dating a boy?” He slumps back on the bench.

            “I see,” Nichkhun says sadly. “It’s okay, I guess someone already stole your heart before I got a chance to.”

            “I’m sorry,” you say again. “We can still be friends okay?”

            “Sure,” Nichkhun says. “Friends. Good luck trying to get Myungsoo to win you over.” You look at him with wide eyes.

            “H-how do you know I like Myungsoo?” you ask him.

            “Just a guess,” Nichkhun answers. “I saw the way you were looking at him at the concert and the way you acted around him. Good luck. He’ll be lucky if you get to be with him.”

            “You think so,” you ask him. “Up until now he’s not looked at me as a possible love choice.” You look at the ground.

            “I know so,” Nichkhun says. “Because I’m lucky right now to be hanging out with you. Just spending time with you Alex is enough to make me smile. Friends it is.” He sighs.

            “Thank you for understanding,” you tell him. “Again I’m sorry, especially for friend-zoning you.” You do something unexpected and surprising him next. You hug him. “You’re a good person Nichkhun. And one day you’ll find someone truly amazing.”

            “I guess so,” Nichkhun says.

 

            After the day is over you return home answer a text from Baekhyun.

 

            How was today? – Baekhyun

            Good but Nichkhun wanted me to go out with him. – You

            Really?! What did you say? – Baekhyun

            I turned him down because I like someone else. You know who. – You

            Oh Myungsoo. Well keep going! We should hang out soon again! – Baekhyun

            Yes let’s. – You

            Well talk to you later have to go. Bye! ^_^ – Baekhyun

 

            Later in the week school seems to rush by. You have tests and exams but you can’t stop thinking about what to do next to get Myungsoo.

            “What are you thinking about Alex?” its Taeyeon. “You’re always looking off in the distance.”

            “I don’t know,” you answer. “What would you do if you liked someone but they didn’t know how you felt?”

            “I don’t know,” Taeyeon says. “I guess I’d eventually have to tell them. Wouldn’t you?”

            “I guess so,” you answer. “I guess that’s what I’ll have to do then.”

            “Good luck,” Taeyeon says. “I’m sure everything will go okay.”

            “I hope,” you say.

 

            Another text from Baekhyun arrives…

            Hi Alex I’m free this weekend let’s hangout Friday, Saturday, and Sunday. If that’s okay. – Baekhyun

            Sure sounds good to me. – You

            I’ll see you after school then tomorrow at your house. – Baekhyun

            Okay. – You

 

            After school on Friday you get a knock on your door it’s Baekhyun.

            “Hi!” Baekhyun says smiling hugging you. “Let’s have fun!” You let him into the house. “So tell me about your date with Nichkhun.”

            You walk into the living room telling him everything that happened last Saturday.

            “Wow he kissed you!” Baekhyun exclaims. “Was that your first kiss?”

            “Yea,” you answer. “It was a strange day. Oh I have something for you.” You run upstairs grabbing the doll you made of Baekhyun. “This is a thank you gift for becoming a part of my life.”

            “It’s me!” Baekhyun laughs. “Wow thanks Alex I really like it. It even has my hair color at the moment.”

            “Do you want some snacks?” you ask. “I’m kind of hungry.”

            “Sure,” Baekhyun says. You go to the kitchen getting food for you both.

            “My whole life has changed so much since I met you and everything,” you say sitting down. “I’m more noticed by people in class. Outside of school I’ve been talked to.”

            “Good!” Baekhyun says. “Everything worked just like I planned.”

            “I guess it did,” you say. “Now if only Myungsoo would notice me.”

            “Don’t get your heart set on one person,” Baekhyun says. “Because if that person doesn’t like you back it’ll hurt more. Trust me I know what that feels like.”

            “Okay,” you say. “I guess that’s a good idea.”

            “Yea,” Baekhyun says staring at the floor. “It is a good idea if you’re not already in too deep.”

 

            “Stay your dinner Baekhyun,” mom says. “I’ll cook something nice.”

            “Okay thank you,” Baekhyun says. Mom goes into the kitchen to start making dinner.

            “I have something else to show you,” you tell Baekhyun. “It’s in my room.” You lead Baekhyun to your room. “I got some new music since the last time you came over.”

            “Cool,” Baekhyun says sitting on the floor.

            “Here’s what I got,” you say. You show him f(x)’s Pink Tape album, Infinite’s Destiny, Sistar’s Give It To Me, After School’s First Love, and Henry’s Trap.

            “Wow good albums,” Baekhyun says. “Anything else?”

            “Well and this,” you say. You reveal the last album you’ve bought Exo’s Growl. “Of course I had to buy the Exo album. Will you do the honor of signing my album?”

            “Sure?” Baekhyun says. You hand him your album and a sharpie. He writes on the album cover. “Here you go number one fanboy.” He hands you back the album.

            You read the cover it says, “To Alex the best fanboy in the whole world. We’re friends and I’m so glad that we’re friends. You’ve changed my life since I met you. Let’s never stop being friends. Baekhyun.”

            “Thank you,” you say. “And I learned some of the dance to Growl. Dance with me!” You turn on the music and you and Baekhyun start dancing to Growl.

            “You really practiced the dance didn’t you?” Baekhyun asks. “You’re good!”

            “Thanks,” you say.

            “Guys dinnertime!” your mom calls. You leave your bedroom to sit at the table.

            “Dad’s not here yet?” you ask.

            “No,” mom answers. “He has to work late.”

            “Again and again and again,” you say rolling your eyes. “Always.” Recently your dad had been coming home really late every single day. You wanted to believe it was work but you had your doubts.

            “This looks delicious,” Baekhyun says looking at the table. “Thank you for cooking.” You all start eating the food.

            “Omma,” you say. “What if dad isn’t really working late at night? What if?”

            “I’ve thought about that too,” mom says. “But I’m not worried about it right now.”

 

            Later your dad returns home as you are getting ready for bed.

            “You can spend the night if you want,” you say to Baekhyun. “If you don’t have anything to do tomorrow.”

            “Okay thank you,” Baekhyun says. “I’ll spend the night.”

            “I have extra pajamas here,” you say handing Baekhyun your other pajamas.

            “Thank you I’ll go change,” Baekhhyun says. He goes to the bathroom to change.

            “Honey why do you smell like that?” mom asks taking his coat.

            “I went out to eat,” dad replies.

            “No,” mom says. “You smell like perfume not food. I want to know the truth. Are you with someone else?”

            “Oh course not,” dad says. “I love you.”

            “Then why can’t I believe you?” mom asks. “I don’t. Work doesn’t require you to be gone every single day like you have been.”

            “Ya!” dad yells. “If I’m working late then I’m working late, why are you questioning me?” He goes to your mother about to smack her. “Disrespectful.”

            “Stop!” you yell running in front of your mom. “Don’t touch her like that!”

            “Alex move!” your dad yells. “Listen to your parents!”

            “No,” you say. “Don’t hit her!”

            “How dare you mouth off to me,” your dad says. “Go to your room. Now.” He grabs you by the shoulders throwing you onto the ground.”

            “Honey stop!” mom yells. “Please!”

            “Quiet!” dad yells. He smacks your mom across the face. “Until you both learn to respect me I’m not coming home.” He storms out of the house slamming the door behind him.

            “Aish,” mom says going over to you. “Are you okay?”

            “I’m fine,” you say. You get up. “I’m going to bed. Goodnight. Divorce that man he’s not the same father I know. I don’t have a father anymore.”

            You go to your room as Baekhyun is setting up his blankets on the floor.

            “What happened out there I heard yelling?” Baekhyun asks. “Is everything okay?”

            “Fine,” you say getting in bed. “I’m fine.” You lay down on your pillow trying to hide the fact that tears are starting to form in your eyes. “Goodnight Baekhyun. I’m fine honest.”

            “Okay,” Baekhyun says. You try not to sniffle but one comes out. “You’re not okay Alex.”

            “My dad threw me to the floor out there and smacked my mom,” you finally answer. “Then he left the house. I don’t know what to think.”

            “I’m sure things will work out,” Baekhyun says. “I’m sure deep deep down your dad still loves you.”

            “I doubt it,” you answer. “Well I wan to go to sleep.”

            “Don’t go to sleep sad,” Baekhyun says.

            “I don’t think I can change my mood now,” you say.

            “Okay,” Baekhyun says. “Move over.” You move over in your bed as Baekhyun lays down next to you. “I always find out that if I feel sad Chanyeol always calms me down my sleeping next to me. So goodnight.”

            “Goodnight,” you say closing your eyes. You bump into Baekhyun’s hand feeling the warmth of his skin hear your hand. “Sorry.”

            “For what?” Baekhyun asks. His fingers interlace with yours as you finally fall asleep.