D-Day

Once In A Lifetime

“Hi Baekhyun,” you say on the phone the day before the final exam. “What’s up?”

            “Check Myungsoo’s twitter,” Baekhyun says. “He posted a tweet about you. That’s all.”

            “Okay thanks,” you say.

            “Are you studying?” Baekhyun asks. “Since your final exam is tomorrow?”

            “I’m done,” you say. “I’ve studied as much as I can on everything I’ve learned. Now it’s just luck and my brain.”

            “Well how about after your final exam we get some lunch?” Baekhyun says. “My treat.”

            “Sure,” you say smiling. “So you can pick me up?”

            “Yep,” Baekhyun says. “I’ll be there. And then we’ll go to our dorm for a surprise that I’ve told Myungsoo about. All for you.”

            “Okay sounds good to me,” you say. “Well see you tomorrow Baekhyun.”

            “ Bye bye,” Baekhyun says. You hang up the phone going to the computer to check twitter. You search up Myungsoo’s account looking at his tweets. You find the one mentioning you.

            It says, ‘I hope all you high school students are busily studying. I know tomorrow might be stressful, but good luck. Especially to the best boyfriend in the world Alex. Good luck tomorrow.’

            You get your phone calling Myungsoo.

            “Hello Sungyeol speaking,” Sungyeol says. “Oh hi Alex. Looking for Myungsoo?”

            “Yes thanks,” you say.

            “Let me get him,” Sungyeol says. “Just a sec. Myungsoo Alex is on the phone.”

            “Gimme gimme,” Myungsoo says. “Hey Alex! Let me go to my room to talk in private. So what’s up?”

            “I saw your tweet,” you say. “I thought it was very cute and thoughtful.”

            “Your welcome,” Myungsoo says. “Well I’ll see you at EXO’s party tomorrow. Then I’ll be really able to tell you how I feel. Till then wait for me. Love you.”

            “Love you too,” you say smiling. “Goodnight.”

 

            The next day you head to the school ready for the final exam. You sit down in your desk getting everything out for the test.

            “You ready for the test?” Taeyeon asks sitting down.

            “Yep,” you say. “Ready as I’ll ever be.”

            The test begins and you test your best. (Yay final exam of high school yay! Next!)

 

            After the test and technically the last day of school, you meet Baekhyun outside of the school.         

            “Hungry?” Baekhyun asks.

            “Very,” you say. “Let’s go.” You head off in a car to a seafood market.

            “I want to eat fresh seafood,” Baekhyun says. “But you can choose the fish and stuff okay?”

            “Sure,” you say. You head over to a seafood store looking over the fish. “Can I get the octopus, crab, tuna, and oysters?”

            “Sounds good to me,” Baekhyun says. “How much for all of this?” He hands money to the store clerk.

            “This way,” the clerk says. They lead you outback up to the restaurant. “Just a second while I prepare the food.”

            “Thank you,” you say.

            “Can we get a bottle of soju and cola?” Baekhyun asks.

            “Sure,” the clerk says. She leaves to get the food as another waitress brings the side dishes.

            “Um,” she says. “My omma said she found something in one of the oysters that was a good luck sign. Here.” She places a pearl on the table. “You’re very lucky. That’s rare. The food should be here shortly.”

            “Wow,” you say looking at the pearl. “It’s so beautiful.”

            “It’s yours,” Baekhyun says. He places the pearl in your hands smiling. “Happy last day of school Alex.” The food comes and you start eating.

            “Thank you,” you say smiling. “This is turning out to be a great day.” Baekhyun just smiles as you eat.

            “Alex, I,” Baekhyun says. “I don’t know how to say this but I must.”

            “What?” you ask.

            “I since I met you,” Baekhyun says. “I man this is harder than I thought. Well ever since I met you I liked you. As a friend but also more than that. I just had to tell you that before you go off to college. I feel like it’ll be easier for me to forget about liking you like that if I just tell you. So yeah all this time I had a crush on you probably from the first concert. And my feelings only grew from there.”

            You stare at Baekhyun in shock mouth wide open. The food falling off your chopsticks.

            “What?” you ask in surprise looking at Baekhyun. “Really? Oh my god.” Baekhyun liked me since the beginning? Oh my god oh my god. What? “Baekhyun why are you telling me now after everything that’s happened? And you helped me so much to get Myungsoo, putting your feelings aside like that? Wow. That’s really admirable of you.”

            “Well I knew the way you talked about Myungsoo, looked at him, smiled listening to Infinite,” Baekhyun says. “And I knew you loved him way way more than me. So I sort of gave up, but kept my feelings for you as you moved on to get Myungsoo. I know it’s too late for me, but I’m glad you’re happy with Myungsoo, he’s a really great guy. And I’m just happy to be your friend.”

            “Best friend,” you say. “Really you’re the best friend I never had in elementary or middle school.”

            “Well let’s go shall we?” Baekhyun asks as you finish eating. “Big stuff is happening later tonight at my place.” You get up heading in the car with Baekhyun heading off to the EXO dorm.

 

            You reach the building but before you can get out of the car Baekhyun grabs your hands.

            “Stop,” he says. “Close your eyes with this.” He hands you a blindfold.

            “Why?” you ask him holding the blindfold. “What’s going on Baekhyun?”

            “A surprise,” Baekhyun says laughing. “Just do it.”

            “Fine,” you sigh. You put on the blindfold as Baekhyun helps you out of the car leading you to the elevator up to the dorm. “Can I take this off now?”

            “Almost,” Baekhyun says opening the door. “Now!”

            You take off the blindfold.

            “Congratulations Alex!” all the EXO members, Myungsoo and your mom yell. You walk farther into the dorm seeing a table full of snacks, food, drinks, and a cake saying congrats.

            “You’re high school days are over!” D.O. yells. “So Baekhyun and us planned this party for you! I made the cake and your mom cooked all your favorites!”

            “Congratulations Alex,” mom says hugging you. “I’m so proud of you. And other news, your father and I are no longer married. We signed the papers today. He is out of our lives!”

            “Yay!” you say smiling. “Thank you everyone! Let’s eat!” You grab a plate heading to the food to sit in the dining room.

            “Congrats Alex,” Luhan says sitting next to you. “Are you glad high school is over?”

            “Very,” you say smiling.

            “I’m so happy!” Myungsoo says sitting on the other side of you. “Now you can spend more time with me.”

            “Yes,” you say. “Before I have to get ready for college.”

            “But you’re going to college in Seoul?” Myungsoo asks.

            “Yes,” you say. “So I’ll still be able to see everyone.”

            “And you know what that means,” Myungsoo says whispering to you. “You and I can see each other and you’re now an adult and I can do whatever I want with you.”

            “Shut up,” you say blushing. “But yes. Especially when I move out of my mom’s house. I’m all yours.”

            “That’s what I want to hear!” Myungsoo smirks wrapping his arm around you. “I love you.”

            “Me too,” you say hugging him nuzzling against his neck before starting to eat. He holds your hand under the table the whole meal.

            “Cheers to Alex!” Chanyeol yells. Everyone raises their glasses and toasts.