Workout!

Once In A Lifetime

At 4:30 the next day Baekhyun is knocking at your door. You answer the door seeing him wearing sunglass, a hat, gym shorts, and a tank top.

 

            “Ready to go jogging?” he asks. “You don’t look ready you’re still in your school uniform. Alex c’mon!” He enters your house.

 

            “I just got home,” you say. “Let me change.” You go to your room putting on gym shorts, and a short sleeve shirt. “Okay is this appropriate?”

 

            “Yes,” Baekhyun says. “Let’s go to the park. We’ll walk there. Let’s go.” You grab your i-pod and follow him outside. The park is a couple of blocks from your house. “Have a good day at school?”

 

            “I guess,” you say. “Depending on what you call a good day.”

 

            “Well I always liked talking to my friends and hanging out with them at lunch,” Baekhyun says. “What did you do?”

 

            “Studied during lunch,” you answer. “I don’t have many friends at school.”

 

            “Oh,” Baekhyun says. “Don’t worry once you’re finished with me everyone will want to be your friend. I know it.”

 

            “I guess so,” you say looking down. You still aren’t exactly sure if loosing weight and changing your appearance is going to get you friends, let alone get Myungsoo to notice you.

 

            “You’re too quiet,” Baekhyun says. “Shy, tend to keep to yourself. If you step out into the sun you’ll get noticed more.”

 

            “I like the shade,” you say.

 

            “Oh Alex,” Baekhyun laughs. “You’re funny. But seriously if you always stay in the shade you’ll never get to show the world who you really are. Take a step.”

 

            “Maybe,” you say quietly.

 

 

 

            You get to the park. It’s a big park where you can run for miles and miles.

 

            “We’ll go easy,” Baekhyun says. “For today just 2 miles after we stretch. Sound good?”

 

            “2 miles?” you ask. You’ve never run 2 miles in your life. “Sure. No problem,” you lie.

 

            “Good!” Baekhyun laughs. He must know that’s a long run for you. You begin your stretches and ready for your run. “Steady pace. If you get tired tell me and we’ll stop.”

 

            “Okay,” you say readying yourself. “Let’s go!” Baekhyun and you take off running around the park.

 

            “Two miles will be about 4 times around the park,” Baekhyun says. You keep running but Baekhyun is good at running from all the endurance he’s built up training and dancing for EXO. It gets harder to stay with him. “Two more laps to go.”

 

            “Yeah,” you breathe heavily. “I can do this.”

 

            “Good!” Baekhyun says. “Alex fighting!” He makes a fist in the air. “Yeah!”

 

 

 

            Finally two miles is done. You fall down on the ground.

 

            “Alex get up!” Baekhyun exclaims. “You need to keep moving after your run! We’ll rest in a minute.” He pulls you up and you both slowly walk around for a couple minutes. “How do you feel?”

 

            “Tired,” you sigh. “I’ve never run that far in my life.”

 

            “I knew you didn’t,” Baekhyun says. “But you did it today. That’s what matters.” He hands you a water. “Drink up.” You don’t hesitate and down the bottle of water.

 

            “What next?” you ask after you’ve caught your breath.

 

            “I think that’s it for today,” Baekhyun says. “But I have to see what food you have and tell you which one’s are good for you and what’s bad.”

 

            “Fine,” you say. Baekhyun and you walk back to your house and into your kitchen. “Here’s where the pantry is.”

 

            “Okay,” Baekhyun says. He takes out cookies, chips, crackers, and fried foods. “None of these okay. Too fatty and greasy.”

 

            “Aish,” you say. “But those cookies are my favorite.”

 

            “Alex,” Baekhyun says waving a finger in your face. “No. What you need to eat is lots of vegetables, fruit, protein, and drink water. No soda or juice. Easy enough.”

 

            “No it’s not,” you say sitting down. “That’s gonna be hard.”

 

            “Hey,” Baekhyun says. “I had to do it to debut. And look at me now! You’ll feel better about it in the long run trust me. Let’s do some push-ups.” You both go to the living room and get on the floor. “Let me see your push-up.” You do one push-up for him. “Good now with me 20 more.”

 

            “20?” you exclaim. You can do 10 on a good day when you haven’t run 2 miles already.

 

            “It’ll be easy,” Baekhyun says. “Come on.” You both do the 20 push-ups. “Was that so hard?”

 

            “I guess not,” you say.

 

            “Good,” Baekhyun says. “Let’s stretch it out and that’ll be it for the day.”

 

            “Okay,” you say. You do your stretches.

 

            “Let’s do the one leg flamingo,” Baekhyun says. You both get on one leg. You hope you don’t lose your balance, but by now you’re exhausted from all the exercise you’ve done. “Hold it for 30 seconds.” Baekhyun starts counting, after 15 seconds you can’t stay up.

 

            “I’m going to fall down!” you warn. You’re hopping on one foot. “Ahh!” You fall down on top of Baekhyun. “Oh sorry!”

 

            “Alex are you okay?” Baekhyun asks. “You’re not hurt?”

 

            “No are you?” you ask. You just pushed your bias over and landed on top of them!

 

            “I’m fine,” Baekhyun says. You get off him and sit down. Baekhyun looks at you in the face.

 

            “What?” you ask. You don’t really like people staring at you.

 

            “Nothing,” Baekhyun says. “Just you already look handsome. I don’t know why you don’t see it.”

 

            “Alex dinner!” your mom yells. “Is your friend eating with us?”

 

            “You want to eat dinner with us?” you ask.

 

            “Sure,” Baekhyun answers. You go to the table and sit down.

 

            “You’re father has to go out with his workers,” your mom says. “So it’s just us three. Who’s your friend?”

 

            “This is Baekhyun,” you say. “The guy from EXO.”

 

            “Oh!” your mom says looking at Baekhyun. “Very pretty! I can see why Alex likes you.”

 

            “Omma!” you yell. “Not the time for that.”

 

            “Oh sorry,” your mom says. “Here’s the food, I have to go to pick up your sister from her piano lesson. Be back at 9 finish your work.”

 

            “Nae,” you say. You hug your mom as she leaves you and Baekhyun to eat.

 

            “So,” Baekhyun says breaking the silence. “Good food.”

 

            “Thank you,” you say. “Sorry about what my mom said.”

 

            “What did she say?” Baekhyun asks.

 

            “About why I like you,” you answer, even though you probably should’ve kept quiet.

 

            “It’s okay,” Baekhyun says. “I know you like me as a friend and fan.” He looks at his chopsticks before eating some more. You can tell he looks sort of sad. You feel bad you’ve made him sad but what can you do?

 

            “Hey want to watch tv?” you ask. “I bet something good will be on.” You move to the TV and watch TV till Baekhyun has to go.

 

            “See you tomorrow,” Baekhyun says. He waves goodbye to you, but you wish he hugged you again, but he doesn’t.

 

 

 

            For the next 2 months you work out with Baekhyun and you see yourself losing weight and looking stronger and healthier.

 

            “I think you are ready,” Baekhyun says. “You’re in shape, not over-weight, you even have abs,” he says hitting your stomach. “You’re ready to go to another concert and meet Myungsoo?”

 

            “I guess,” you say looking at yourself in the mirror. You do admit you look good and way better then you did a couple months ago. Even the girls at school noticed your change.  

 

            You make plans to see the comeback stage with Baekhyun for Infinite, ‘Destiny.’

 

 

 

            The day of the concert you get picked up by Baekhyun who has your outfit. Skinny jeans, high-top Nikes, a purple tank-top, and a red hat. You quickly change and come out of your room.

 

            “Wow,” Baekhyun says. He points you to the mirror and you see yourself. Your arms have muscles, the hat makes your bangs look like Baekhyun’s. “We’re ready.” You guys head to the concert as Baekhyun puts on his sunglasses.

 

 

 

            At the concert you see the line up of performers. Lots of good stuff. Infinte performs second.

 

            “Excited?” Baekhyun asks.

 

            “Yes,” you say. Your stomach has butterflies.

 

            “Hi!” Nichkhun from 2PM one of the hosts of Music Bank says. The concert begins and you watch the whole thing.

 

            “Let’s go backstage now,” Baekhyun says. He leads you backstage after talking to security. “Here’s Infinite’s dressing room. Ready?”

 

            “Nae,” you say. Baekhyun knocks on the door. “It’s Baekhyun!” Sungyeol opens the door.

 

            “Hi!” he says. He lets you guys into the room. Infinite is getting ready to leave back to their dorm.

 

            “This is my friend Alex,” Baekhyun says.

 

            “Hi! Nice to meet you,” you say bowing. You look at Myungsoo who has noticed your changed appearance.

 

            “Good seeing you again,” Myungsoo says.

 

            “Oh!” Hoya yells. “This is the Alex you met before with Baekhyun a while ago! You’re his fanboy! Cool!”

 

            “Thank you,” you say looking at the ground. Baekhyun nudges you to make you look up. “Good song and concert tonight.”

 

            “Thank you,” Myungsoo says.

 

            “We have to go,” Woohyun says walking back into the room. They all get their belongings and proceed to leave the room. Myungsoo is last to leave. He stops at you looking at you.

 

            “You did something different with your appearance,” Myungsoo whispers in your ear. “It looks good.” He pats you on the shoulder and leaves the room.

 

            “He noticed,” you say looking at Baekhyun.

 

            “I know!” Baekhyun says smiling. “Let’s go. I have to go to the restroom first wait out here, I’ll be back soon.”

 

            “Okay,” you say. You sit down on a bench watching the other groups leaving to go to their houses.

 

            “Hey,” a voice says sitting down next to you. You see it’s Nichkhun one of the hosts. “You came in with Baekhyun.”

 

            “Yes,” you reply. Baekhyun returns from the bathroom.

 

            “You’re pretty good looking,” Nichkhun says to you.

 

            “Thank you,” you say. “I worked out a lot with Baekhyun.”

 

            “Oh,” Nichkhun says. “Good job.” He gets up. “Nice meeting you.” He gets up and goes to his dressing room.

 

 

 

            In his dressing room…

 

            “Myungsoo?” Nichkhun says on the phone. “What’s the guy’s name that visited with Baekhyun.” He gets your name and number from Myungsoo. “You’re going to be mine soon Alex.”