What About Us?

Once In A Lifetime

You graduate high school and you’re on break for the time being before college. You start packing your things in your room since you move into the college dorms in 2 weeks.

            “Alex!” mom yells from the living room. “Someone’s on the phone for you!”

            “Coming,” you call as you head to the living room taking the phone from mom. “Hello? This is Alex.”

            “Hello,” a voice says. “We have a very special scholarship for you Alex. You have been selected for the chance to study abroad at Oxford for the fall semester. Since you have done extremely well on the exit exams and are at the top of your senior class. You have 2 weeks to decide okay? We hope you will except this offer. It is a full paid scholarship all you would need is spending money for yourself. The schooling and room would be on us.”

            “Really?” you say in shock smiling. “Thank you so much. I will think about it! Thank you so much.”

            “What was it?” mom asks.

            “I’ve been offered a scholarship at Oxford full paid!” you exclaim jumping up out of your seat. “I could go to one of the best schools in the world!”

            “Alex!” mom yells smiling. “This is amazing news! When do you have to answer?”

            “2 weeks,” you answer. “I really want to go. That means you’ll be less financially stressed to mom.” She hugs me smiling. “I have to go, to meet up with friends.”

            “Okay,” mom says. “Congrats! And have fun!” You leave to get dressed taking the bus to the closest exit to EXO’s dorm. You can’t wait to tell them the exciting news. You reach their dorm knocking on the door.

            “Hi!” Baekhyun smiles letting you in. “Myungsoo is here!”

            “Hi!” you say to everyone as you sit down next to Myungsoo. “I’ve received some really huge news!”

            “What what?” Myungsoo asks excitedly.

            “I’ve been offered a full paid scholarship to Oxford!” you announce to everyone. “They were really impressed by my grades and test results and want me!”

            “Wow!” D.O. yells. “That’s good!”

            “I have 2 weeks to decide,” you tell everyone. “Either I go there or college here. What should I do?” You look around the room noticing everyone looking down.

            “Well Alex,” Chanyeol says quietly. “If you go to Oxford for college, you’ll be gone from Korea for a long time almost 5 years, and we’ll, he’ll, barely get to see much of you.” He looks at Myungsoo with concerned eyes.

            “Oh,” you say the smile vanishing from your face. You had been so excited about Oxford you forgot the biggest part, you couldn’t take your K-pop idol boyfriend with you. He had to stay in Korea and so did your friends. “I didn’t think of that part. Now what should I do?”

            “What you think is best for your future,” Myungsoo says holding your hand. He looks at you with a half-smile. “Oxford is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and a extreme honor to have a full paid tuition. You have to accept. The college you’d go to in Seoul doesn’t even compare.”

            “So you want me to go to England?” you ask him with worry. “And leave all of this.” You motion to everyone in the room surrounding you.

            “I would go to the school, I got the chance,” Myungsoo says. “You should take it!” He looks away from you.

            “Excuse us,” you say getting up. “Myungsoo and I need to talk out in the hall for a minute.” You pull him up and out the door to talk in private. “So if I go to Oxford and am gone for as long as Chanyeol said I might be, what will happen to us? Can we really make a long distance relationship work?”

            “I don’t know,” Myungsoo says sighing. “I want to believe we can, but calling, texts, and video can only close the gap between us so much. But I don’t want to be the reason to stop you from going to Oxford.”

            “Myungsoo,” you say, tears b your eyes. “I can’t do this. Being that far away from you and barely seeing you, after all we’ve been through? This isn’t possible!” You slump down on the floor crying. “What am I going to do?”

            Myungsoo sits next to you wrapping his arm around you. He kisses you lightly on the cheek.

            “I want you to go to Oxford,” Myungsoo says finally. “Go there and ace the college, and visit when you get the chance. You get Christmas, and summer, and spring vacations right?”

            “Yeah,” you say quietly. “That’s only 3 times I’d be able to see you though. Out of 12 months.” You cry even harder imagining the thought of only seeing Myungsoo in person 3 times probably a year. “That’s too short.”

            “I’m sorry,” Myungsoo says. “But whatever you choose, go to Oxford or not, I’ll still be your boyfriend. That won’t ever change. I promise you that.”

            “I need to think about it,” you say drying your eyes. “I have a lot to think about. But not today. I want to have fun today. And be with you.” You rest your head on his shoulder calming down.

            “Me too,” Myungsoo says interlacing your fingers with his. You close your eyes trying not to think about not holding Myungsoo’s hand like this. “Alex.” You look at him. “I love you.” He kisses you on the lips before getting you up off the ground. He pushes you up against the wall kissing you again wrapping your legs around his waist. “If you go, I need to get as much of you as possible.”

            You smile as you kiss him again and again and again wishing time would stop, even though it won’t.

 

            Next week you have Myungsoo come over to your house to tell him your decision. Myungsoo gets to your house and you go to your room.

            “My mom is at work,” you say. “So it’s just us two here.” I sit on my bed next to me holding my hand.

            “So what’s your choice?” Myungsoo asks. “Are you going to stay in Seoul or go to England?” I sigh heavily looking at our hands. “So?”

            “Um,” I say quietly. “I’m going to go to Oxford starting this fall, I have to leave in July to get settled in. So I have less then 2 weeks left in Seoul till I have to move. I’m sorry Myungsoo.”

            “Wow,” Myungsoo says sitting back against the wall. “Congrats Alex, I’m really happy for you.” He smiles at me. He looks away not saying anything. I can see his eyes are telling a different story from the words he’s saying. His eyes show sadness.

            “Look,” I say quietly. “Even when I go to Oxford I’ll still be your boyfriend, and I’ll still visit when I get the chance to. I’ll try to make everything work. I don’t want to lose you.”

            “Me either,” Myungsoo says. He pats my hand. “Well since you’re leaving soon we need to spend as much time together as possible.” He kisses me on the cheek. “I love you.”

            “I love you too,” I say. “And the first chance I get a break at college, I’ll be back to visit. I promise.” I kiss him back resting my head on his shoulder as we just sit there in silence. 

 

So Chapter 20 is going to be the last chapter but I will have an epilogue and then the story will be complete.