Chapter 3

Once Was & Will Become

Baekhyun’s mind wasn’t in the best condition that day. He forgot to refill the ink cartridges in the printer and accidently shredded the finance reports for Junmyeon so he had to reprint the report. Junmyeon, at one point, had come to him asking for staples for his empty stapler and Baekhyun handed him pushpins.

Ever since his encounter with his ex-boyfriend, Chanyeol, he just couldn’t do things normally. His mind was elsewhere, wondering why the world would be cruel enough as to make him literally bump into Chanyeol again.

After Chanyeol had broken up with him after college, Baekhyun had been so torn up over him that he never wanted to see the tall goof again.

Baekhyun shivered at the remembrance of the harsh words Chanyeol had spoken to him during their break up.

“Chanyeol…don’t do this! Don’t leave me!”

“See, this is why I want out! You’re always clinging to me like a dependent child! Baekhyun, grow up. This relationship is suffocating me!”

“Please…”

“We’re done, Baekhyun.”

After crashing into the tall man from his past this morning, Chanyeol had started to leave after realizing that he was staring at his ex-boyfriend, but Baekhyun had reached out stopping him by yanking on the taller man’s sleep. Baekhyun had cried out, asking for the man to stop trying to get away except Chanyeol was too transfixed on escaping, and harshly shrugged Baekhyun off and ran into the opposite direction.

Baekhyun had tried following him a ways, however, with the streets bustling with people trying to get to their destinations, the chase had ended rather quickly leaving Baekhyun to frown and trudge his way to work, which he was now very late for.

Since the incident, Baekhyun could hardly focus on anything and it was already two in the afternoon. The day was already half way over.

Soon, all of his fellow secretaries had left the upstairs lobby for their lunch breaks, leaving Baekhyun alone at his desk staring helplessly at the framed photo on his desk. He couldn’t even think of eating right now.

Baekhyun, oblivious to the real world, didn’t notice Junmyeon exiting his office and come up behind him until he felt the ladder’s gentle hand touch his shoulder to grab his attention. Baekhyun jumped slightly in surprise and looked up at his boss sheepishly.

“You shouldn’t sneak up on people, sir,” Baekhyun said softly, half smiling. Junmyeon huffed playfully, while also taking in his employee’s somber expressions.

“My apologies,” Junmyeon said lightly, giving a friendly smile. “If I offer to buy the both of us lunch, will you accept my invitation?”

Baekhyun debated on it momentarily and decided that maybe it would be a good idea. Hopefully, it would take his mind off things. Baekhyun quickly nodded, grabbing his phone and wallet before following his boss out the door.

Junmyeon brought them to a small café that Baekhyun had never been to before. It was a few blocks away from the company building and since Baekhyun hardly ever ate outside the building during lunch, it was a nice change with everything going on. Junmyeon lead them to a table in the corner of the café away from the window because he knew Baekhyun didn’t like being on display when he ate.

A waitress poured some water in their glasses and walked off to fetch their waitor. Junmyeon cast a soft look at Baekhyun before taking his hand in his own.

“Want to tell me what’s bothering you? I’m here to listen, you know. Maybe I can help you out with what’s troubling you,” Junmyeon inquired, rubbing comforting circles on the top of Baekhyun’s hand.

Baekhyun sighed, not meeting Junmyeon’s gaze, replying, “It’s nothing really important.”

“Well, it’s been distracting you from your work today and nothing ever causes you to do that, so there must be something going on,” Junmyeon noted, his expression becoming more serious. “You know you can tell me anything. You’re not in any trouble, are you?”

“Hm? Oh, no. Nothing like that. It’s just….,” Baekhyun trailed, nervous to talk to someone about this. He hadn’t ever spoken to someone about something like this because he felt almost ashamed to admit he had been dumped.

Junmyeon looked at him with a pleading gaze and Baekhyun sighed, finally deciding to spill out his problem.

“I was late to work this morning because something happened,” Baekhyun started, looking at Junmyeon nervously and the man gave an encouraging look, telling him to go on. “I ran into my ex-boyfriend, which completely shocked me because I never thought I would see him again. He dumped me a few years ago and said some mean things, but in that instant that I saw him, I grabbed onto him because…because I just wanted to see him again,” he admitted, his heart already aching as he relived the encounter.

“So, did he stay and talk to you?” Junmyeon asked, quirking his head to the side slightly, which Baekhyun didn’t want to admit that he found it cute.

“Um, no, he didn’t. He harshly shoved me off and ran away. I was upset and ran after him, but there was just so many people in the way that I lost him.” Baekhyun felt very sullen and held his head down, showing his depression over the ordeal.

“Maybe he was ridden with guilt and didn’t want to be near you to feel bad,” Junmyeon thought aloud, biting the inside of his cheek as he pondered.

“No. He ran away because he hates me. I guess I don’t blame him. I’m nothing special and I wasn’t good enough to be with him.”

“Stop right there,” Junmyeon snapped, staring at Baekhyun disapprovingly. “Don’t talk about yourself like that. You are special and anyone should feel lucky to have you.”

Baekhyun didn’t say anything to his boss’s statement and looked away. He felt Junmyeon lift his hand he was holding and left a gentle kiss on it.

“You’re perfect the way you are.”

Baekhyun smiled embarrassedly, glancing at Junmyeon shyly. “You know, to other people it would appear that we were dating,” he stated.

“I suppose. Do you want to?”

“Date?” Baekhyun squeaked, his eyes widening.

“Yeah. Do you want to?”

“Um, no offense, but I don’t.”

“That’s good,” Junmyeon chuckled, leaning back in his seat. “Can’t have you falling for me,” he teased, sending a sly wink and Baekhyun shook his head disbelievingly.

Truthfully, after admitting his problem to Junmyeon, he did feel better than he had earlier. Now he was just hungry and was glad to hear when Junmyeon commented about a waiter finally making his way over here.

The waiter came over and stopped at their table, “I’m Chanyeol and I’ll be your waiter today. What can I get for you?”

Baekhyun’s eyes widened in shock and he started choking on the water he was drinking. He coughed trying to recover and Junmyeon looked to him in concern, asking if he was alright. Baekhyun just waved his hand and motioned for the man to go ahead an order.

Baekhyun, heart pounding so hard he thought he might have a heart failure, snuck a peak at Chanyeol and felt when he saw the stony expression on the tall man’s face. It was obvious that he wasn’t pleased to see him here, and he pondered for a brief moment if he should just leave. However, thinking back to what Junmyeon had said, he decided to stay. He was the customer; he could stay if he wanted to and shouldn’t have to leave for the worker’s comfort ability.

 At least, that’s what he tried to convince himself of.

“Baekhyun? He asked what you want,” Junmyeon said, poking Baekhyun’s hand that he was still holding, pulling the spacy man away from his thoughts.

“O-Oh, um…,” Baekhyun’s took a quick look at the menu and asked for the first thing he saw, “I’ll have the Chicken Club Sandwich and a raspberry iced tea.”

Chanyeol wrote down the orders and walked away, leaving Baekhyun to stare blankly at the wood surface of the table. Junmyeon, being perceptive as ever, lowered his head in attempt to meet Baekhyun’s eyes.

“Baek…What’s up?”

Baekhyun slumped his shoulders and shook his head stubbornly, lips formed into a pout.

Junmyeon looked at him sympathetically and just continued to rub comforting circles on Baekhyun’s hand, which Baekhyun appreciated. Junmyeon was a good friend.

After a short while, Chanyeol brought their food and set it down on the table. He cast a glance at Baekhyun and bit the inside of his cheek, feeling awkward, before retreating back to the counter to busy himself.

However, Junmyeon didn’t miss the look Chanyeol had made, but said nothing and began eating his salad.

There wasn’t much chatter between the two. Occasionally in between bites, Junmyeon would make a comment about rearranging the furniture in his office and Baekhyun would talk about how there needs to be a better filing system in the secretary room.

They made an agreement that Baekhyun would help the room rearrangement Junmyeon would help devise a better filing system.

Baekhyun couldn’t finish his sandwich because it was so big, so Junmyeon got up to go pay at the counter. Baekhyun was about to follow him, but Junmyeon insisted that he sit there for a moment and Baekhyun reluctantly did as he was told.

Just a few moments later, Baekhyun heard the chair opposite screech against the floor and looked up to see who sat there, and to his surprise, instead of seeing Junmyeon, his face was met with Chanyeol who very displeased to be there. Baekhyun looked confused and looked up to his right, seeing Junmyeon looking down at them sternly. Almost like a parent about to have a talk with their child.

“Okay, here’s the deal. You two are going to sit here and talk for a bit and I’m going back to work. Baekhyun, come back to the office once you’re finished here,” Junmyeon stated, starting to walk away.

“Hey! Junmyeon! Don’t leave me here!” Baekhyun called out pleadingly to his friend.

“No can do. I’ll see you later,” and with that Junmyeon was out the door, leaving the two ex-lovers sitting together unhappily.

Neither said anything until a few minutes had passed and Baekhyun just couldn’t handle the silence any longer.

“So, what made you want to talk with me?” he asked, anxiously playing with the hands under the table, looing anywhere that wasn’t in Chanyeol’s direction.

Chanyeol grunted, leaning his arm on the table top, seeming annoyed. “I didn’t subject to this willingly. That annoying git all but forced me to come over here. He even offered money to me, and hey, and I’m not complaining about that.”

“You shouldn’t have accepted it,” Baekhyun chastised him, leaning back in his seat in attempt to distance themselves further.

Chanyeol cast him a glare, eyes squinting slightly. “If he wants me to take the money, then I’ll take it. Don’t tell me what I should and shouldn’t do.”

Baekhyun bit his lip to keep from looking upset. This wasn’t the nice, warm Chanyeol he knew from childhood.

Baekhyun sighed, “Well, since we’re here, may I ask a question?”

“Fine.”

“….Can you tell me the reason you broke up with me?” Baekhyun asked, his voice soft and wary. Actually, he really didn’t want Chanyeol to point out his flaws, but then again he did want to know what he did wrong back then when their relationship came to an end.

Chanyeol rolled his eyes and scoffed, “I don’t understand why I should be entitled to tell you.”

“It shouldn’t matter since we’re already broken up. Please, just tell me,” Baekhyun pleaded, looking at his ex-boyfriend in a begging manner.

“Because you’re annoying, that’s why,” Chanyeol stated with distaste in his words. Baekhyun looked taken aback and Chanyeol continued on without a care. “You’re annoying and suffocated me by wanting to always be around me. You were so clingy that there were times I wanted to hit you.”

Even though it was said so bluntly, Baekhyun still didn’t understand. He wanted to point out that Chanyeol was the one who started the relationship. He remembered clearly that Chanyeol was the clingy one, always following him because he didn’t want them to be apart. If anything, Baekhyun should have been the one feeling suffocated, not the other around.

Before he got the chance to counter the statement, Chanyeol started once again, now smirking at Baekhyun who looked puzzled. “I got tired of you being around me that I started spending time away with you. I always told you work was keeping me late, but really, I was seeing someone else,” Chanyeol said nastily, grinning in satisfaction.

Baekhyun didn’t know what to say. So those time that Chanyeol was held up at work, he was really just ing a ? Was the other person a co-worker? Friend? Just a random person off the street? Baekhyun suddenly didn’t feel simply upset anymore. No, he was pissed off now.

Cheating was unforgivable.

Not being able to stand that smirk on Chanyeol’s face, Baekhyun hastily stood from his seat and glared at the sitting, tall buffoon.

Then he did something he never imagined he would do since it was such a y and cliché thing to do.

Baekhyun grabbed his leftover sandwich that was still on the table and threw it at Chanyeol angrily and then grabbed the class containing what was left of his iced tea and dumped it on the man’s head. He felt satisfaction as the ice cubs plonked on the man’s head. He smirked down at Chanyeol who was staring straight ahead, still trying to fathom what had just happened.

“That felt good,” Baekhyun said, setting the glass back down on the table. He knew the other workers and customers in the café were staring at him in shock and whispered about, yet he didn’t give a care. He was too transfixed on Chanyeol.

Giving a last smile, Baekhyun his heel exited the café and returned to work.

He tried to ignore the lasting feeling of regret resting in his stomach for the rest of the day. 

 


 

 

A/N: Good?

First of all, I apologize for not updating in a while. I was preoccupied by SHINeegirluno1 because she stayed over for a week (totally awesome). Anyway, still. 

Was this to your liking? 

ALSO. Remember that Deleted Scenes story to this fic? The one I told you guys about a week ago? Well, if you're not subscribed, then you should be if you're interested in reading some JunmyeonxBaekhyun, Baekyeol, and possibly others things. There's (if you're into that) and fluff! Like this baekyeol chapter, Caught:) Please check it out. 

And maybe drop a comment on this one...and the other one? Please and thank you :)