Chapter 14

Once Was & Will Become

Update 2 of 2

 


 

A headache was what woke Baekhyun up that morning, along with the wave of panic crashing into him as he felt the familiar dreaded feeling of sickness churning in his stomach. In a hurry, he rolled out of the room and stumbled his way out of the bedroom and down the hall, feeling disoriented as he searched.

Finally reaching the bathroom, he collapsed onto the floor, immediately releasing the contents of his stomach into the toilet bowl. Ugh, he really hated that feeling.

After what felt like forever of sickness debilitating him on the floor, he flushed the vomit away and leaned onto the counter, running the faucet with cold water before splashing the cold liquid onto his face.

And then it hit him.

Hard.

This wasn't his bathroom.

He whipped his head around in confusion, boring his eyes into the underwater-printed shower curtain. His was a simple green one. He turned his head to the right where a purple towel hung on a rack. To the right was the door, with a small clothing hamper was located to the side of the bathroom entrance. The layout was completely different from his apartment.

Where the hell was he?

Alarmed, Baekhyun stumbled from the bathroom back into the bedroom where he woke up. The bed was pressed against the wall whereas his was positioned in the middle of the room, and dressed in white covers with black accents while the bed sitting before him was a simple navy blue.

Definitely not his bedroom.

At a loss, Baekhyun wandered down the hall, eyes drifting over the barren walls--no decoration hanging at all.

He entered the living room where the found the couch covered in a wrinkled sheet and thin blanket, the makeshift bed empty. Someone had slept there during the night; that much was obvious. At least he didn't have to worry about any drunken mistakes. Was this Jongdae's place? That was the only logical answer he could think of.

If this was Jongdae's apartment, then it was very dull looking. He expected more out the man.

"You're awake it would seem," he heard a familiar, deep voice announced from behind him, causing him to whip around far too quickly than his body could handle, the dizziness nearly making him fall had it not been for strong hands steadying him. "Yah--be careful, okay? I don't want to have to take you to the hospital for a head injury."

ing hell.

Gulping nervously, Baekhyun numbly nodded, not trusting his voice to say anything.

Chanyeol made sure Baekhyun was steady on his feet before releasing his hold on the shorter man, and then retreating back into the kitchen where he was residing before. Baekhyun, not knowing what else to do and still trying to grasp the fact that he was in Chanyeol's apartment, slowly shuffled after the tall man following him. 

Chanyeol grabbed the pan that was still on the stove, pushing it off the burner before scooping the kimchi rice he had been cooking that morning into two small bowls. He placed the bowls on the table before turning back to the counter before grabbing a plate of toast and two cups of tea, bringing those as well and setting them down on the table. All this while, Baekhyun had been watching from the kitchen entrance, still stunned that this was even real. It had been years since he had seen Chanyeol in a kitchen cooking them breakfast. In a way, it was almost a bitter feeling as he remembered what had happened--they weren't together anymore. This was foreign.

Chanyeol's commanding voice abruptly yanked Baekhyun from his reminiscing, a hard look being directed at the elder, "Well, are you going to sit? I made breakfast, you should at least be polite enough and accept it. It's not like it's the first time I've made us food."

"O-Oh, r-right," Baekhyun stuttered, quickly taking a seat in the chair across from Chanyeol, shakily picking up his chopsticks without dropping them surprisingly. His jittery nerves were not going to be his friends this morning that was for sure.

There was tension lingering in the room, and Baekhyun wondered if it was because he was invading Chanyeol's living space. Surely that was it. Baekhyun, though wanting to silently pretend things were back to how they used to be, slowly nibbled on his food, trying not to concentrate on the strong smell that made him stomach flip over unpleasantly and took precaution focusing his attention to anything other than Chanyeol.

What had even happened last night?

They went out drinking, that much was obvious. Baekhyun had had more than what he should have. He wasn't in his apartment, most likely because the other two didn't know where he lived. Oh.

Then he remembered.

He remembered the hurt punch him in the gut when he recalled Chanyeol taking on the phone with someone. He called them "baby". The sweetness lacing his kind words struck a chord in him. Even though they weren't together anymore, Baekhyun couldn't help the raging jealousy bubbling within him at that moment in time. Who the hell was Chanyeol calling baby? He should only be calling Baekhyun that; should being speaking in such a sweet manner to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun didn't realize his grip tightening around the chopsticks until Chanyeol chastised him for it.

"Sorry," he muttered, his head bowing down in apology.

He heard Chanyeol heavily sigh in his chair across from him. He could even practically feel two holes burning into him. It put him on edge.

"Um...," Baekhyun began hesitantly, his feet nervously rubbing together underneath the table, "T-Thanks...for letting me s-stay the n-night."

Chanyeol said nothing.

 

"And! Um...I-I appreciate it," Baekhyun continued in a rushed panic, feeling awkward and desperately not wanting Chanyeol to be upset with him. "Y-You could have just left me on the couch. You should have taken your bed..."

"You're the guest, though," Chanyeol's voice reverberated, almost making Baekhyun jump, startled by the unexpected answer. "Just don't expect it to happen again."

“Y-Yeah, sure….,” Baekhyun agreed before taking a sip of his tea. “And uh, I apologize if I did anything weird too. I can be silly when I drink, but you know that…”

Baekhyun didn’t notice the surprise in Chanyeol’s narrowed eyes.

“So…I take it you don’t remember anything then….,” Chanyeol pressed, wanting to know.

Baekhyun shook his head.

“Okay then…”

Chanyeol nearly scoffed aloud, but held it in him.

He didn’t remember the kiss at all. Nothing. Chanyeol should have expected such a thing. For some reason, knowing that Baekhyun didn’t remember left him feeling annoyed. It didn’t sit right with him. However, a kiss with Baekhyun probably shouldn’t sit right anyway.

Chanyeol grimaced in distaste. He still didn’t have to like it.

The kiss had caught him off guard when it happened, shocking him along with Jongdae and Minseok whose eyes were bulging in disbelief.

The taste of alcohol was strong, but the sweetness of Baekhyun was even more overpowering. He had forgotten what it had felt like, kissing Baekhyun. Though it was forced and rough, it still almost felt light as if he wasn't in a noisy club, but on a cloud or something. Or did it? Chanyeol wasn't even quite sure how to describe it.

He remembered, as soon as he felt Baekhyun's tongue being shoved into his mouth, Chanyeol had roughly pushed him away so that the elder fell into Jongdae's arms.

"What the--!" Chanyeol had guffawed affronted, pure shock covering his face while Baekhyun practically threw a fit in Jongdae's arms.

"Chanyeol, you ing ! I hate you!" Baekhyun yelled, taking his shoe off and throwing it at Chanyeol, who had caught it with ease.

Chanyeol recalled Baekhyun running off into the crowd of dancing people, pulling Jongdae along with him leaving Chanyeol behind after giving him the finger and a nasty glare.

Minseok poured Chanyeol a drink, who accepted it wholeheartedly, needing to unwind after that.

They didn't know where Baekhyun lived and Jongdae had agreed to accompany Minseok home after work, so it left Chanyeol being the one to look after his ex-boyfriend. He wasn't pleased with that arrangement, but he really had no choice. He had been stuck with towing along a drunken Baekhyun, slurring curses an insults at him. At one point Baekhyun had started crying, angrily spatting, "Why did you do that, huh?! Chanyeol, I gave you everything!"

Each word was worse than a punch to the face.

Of course Baekhyun was still upset.

Chanyeol didn't like it, and it was his fault. It was all his fault.

"Um, Chanyeol...Thanks for accommodating me last night, but I really should get going now. I still have to run to my place for clothes...," Baekhyun stammered out nervously, his soft voice lulling Chanyeol from his own thoughts. Baekhyun's standing form reminded Chanyeol that he too needed to get going as well.

"Oh, right, um...Okay, I guess you can let yourself out," was what Chanyeol said before clearing the table of the dirty dishes. "Don't worry, you didn't do anything too strange."

Baekhyun sighed in relief, "Okay that's good. Um...so I guess I'll leave now."

"Yeah."

"Thanks for breakfast..."

Baekhyun took his time walking himself to the door. He didn't want to leave. The thought of leaving made him feel like he'd never see the other again. It didn't feel right. Quickly before he lost the courage, Baekhyun hurried back into the kitchen surprising Chanyeol.

"Um, from what I remember, I did have a nice time with you last night. It's been awhile since we hung out like that...The dancing was fun."

Was it out of line to say that given their nonexistent relationship status?

Chanyeol subconsciously began swaying, making Baekhyun bite his lip to refrain from chuckling at it. It was a cute habit Baekhyun had always found endearing.

"....It was nice, wasn't it?" Chanyeol managed to voice out quietly, Baekhyun almost not catching the sentence.

".....I'll leave now," Baekhyun then said, almost running out of the place once putting his shoes back on. He closed the front door behind him before slowly walking down the first few steps of the apartment building before stopping dead in his tracks.

Right...

He was dumb.

Chanyeol looked more confused rather than annoyed when he opened the door to find Baekhyun smiling sheepishly at him.

"I, uh...I don't know where I'm at..."

Chanyeol resisted the urge to roll his eyes. That's right.

Baekhyun didn't know where he was at.

Then he realized that he himself should be equally as embarrassed about this.

Sighing in defeat, Chanyeol ushered the shorter man back inside motioning to the couch, saying, "Just sit there while I get ready for work. I'll be ready in a few, then I'll direct you once we leave."

"Thanks..."

As promised, Chanyeol was clad in the cafe uniform and ready to go in only a matter of minutes. Baekhyun tried to mentally bat away the fluttering within him as he recalled the days long ago when the two of them would leave for college in the mornings together.

Memories were certainly something.

They walked down to the street together before stopping at the stoplight a few blocks down where Chanyeol told him what street he needed to walk on to get to the cafe, assuming that was also the direction Baekhyun needed to get home.

"Oh, we're not going to walk together?" Baekhyun asked, rather disappointed. "I thought you needed to get to work too..."

Chanyeol shook his head, almost feeling uncomfortable that Baekhyun asked. "No, er, I promised someone I'd stop by their place this morning..."

Oh right.

Baekhyun's good mood vanished as soon as Chanyeol opened his mouth. He remembered now.

I know, I'll stop by before work tomorrow, how about that?

"Oh, okay then..."

Chanyeol turned to leave, but Baekhyun grabbed the clothing on his arm, holding him back.

"I...I'm sorry if I'm overstepping my boundaries by asking this, but...W-Who are you meeting? I-Is it your...partner?"

Yes, Baekhyun was overstepping his boundaries indeed. Though, Chanyeol couldn't even feel mad about it, he only felt uncomfortable.

And insanely guilty. So much that it made Chanyeol want to scream.

"...It's someone very important, yes."

Baekhyun nodded in understanding before choking out a, "Bye," before almost running in the other direction.

Chanyeol very well knew the other was probably crying now.

Deciding not to waste any more time than necessary, Chanyeol turned and walked the opposite direction of his work.

Yeah, Chanyeol thought to himself was he walked in a hurry.

 

 

Baekhyun wasn't that important person in his life anymore.

 


 

A/N: So how was that? A double update!! I hoped you liked it, guys. So things seem to be progressing a bit more in the story, I hope it's keeping you interested. Remember to please comment and/or subscribe, your feedback gives me motivation!! :)