Chapter 18

Once Was & Will Become

HOLY CRAP GUYS I AM SO SORRY THIS IS SO DAMN LATE, PLEASE DON'T HATE ME. 

YOU GUYS ARE GONNA ENJOY THIS CHAPTER THOUGH.

I LOVE YOU GUYS.

FORGIVE ME.

<3

 

 


 

For the next few days, Baekhyun only talked to Jongdae. Just simple conversation like, “What’s up?” or “How was your day?” and even, “What are you having for lunch?”

Baekhyun, ever since his latest discovery, hadn’t visited the café like he said he would. Which was probably for the better.

Chanyeol had called him every day at least three times, sometimes even more than that. Baekhyun figured the younger male wanted to explain. Except, Baekhyun didn’t want to hear it. Well, he wanted to hear it but he didn’t know if he could handle it. He preferred to be in the dark like before. It was easier that way.

He unhappily listened to the voicemails of Chanyeol’s profuse apologies. He listened to Chanyeol’s request to meet up so he could explain what happened. He listened to Chanyeol’s weak voice crack with a simple, “I’m sorry.”

Baekhyun was sorry, too.

Over the week, it was obvious that something was up according to Yixing anyway. However, being quiet and shy-natured, he never commented on it to Baekhyun, but that didn’t mean he didn’t talk to Junmyeon.

As for their current…relationship status, if it could even be called that, was still unknown, unclarified. Both men kept avoiding the subject.

They also kept sleeping together, but that was beside the point.

For Baekhyun, to keep things simple, were ty but he tried not to let it get the best of him. Except, since it was Baekhyun, that was a difficult task to accomplish. No matter how hard he tried, he just could not get the image of Chanyeol holding a happy little girl with a blinding smile out of his head. It was stuck there. It was picture perfect and Baekhyun wanted to hate it, but he just couldn’t.

Except, he could hate the woman who was obviously the mother. That he had no trouble with.

At the time rolled around to four in the afternoon, Baekhyun’s phone began buzzing inside his pocket signaling the café worker who broke his heart was calling him. Right on time, Baekhyun bitterly said in the confinement of his brain.

He let it go to voicemail.

“Baekhyun, you have tomorrow off, right?” he heard Yixing ask him. He turned to the Chinese man who was looking back at him with curious eyes, his cellphone at the ready in his palm.

“Um, yeah, I guess,” Baekhyun replied, a little confused. Yixing wasn’t one ton initiate any sort of outing.

Yixing smiled at the answer before asking, “You want to go out for lunch, then? I’ve been working here for a little while now and Junmyeon wants to celebrate. He told me to ask if you wanted to join.”

Baekhyun bit the inside of his cheek, hesitating before starting to mutter out a decline, except Yixing cut him off with puppy eyes that could put Baekhyun’s to shame.

Baekhyun was clearly thrown off. This was unusual for Yixing.

“Please, Baekhyun? You’ve been so nice to me while I’ve been here. And Junmyeon wants you to come, too. And I’ll even buy you food. And…And…it’ll be tasty,” Yixing hastily continued excitedly, crossing his fingers behind his back in hopes of Baekhyun saying yes.

Baekhyun sighed, “You really want me to come along?”

Yixing bobbed his head excitedly.

He looked like a child begging to go to a candy store.

“Alright,” Baekhyun caved, giggling when Yixing shook happily in his chair, creating little creaking noises.

“Thank you! Don’t worry about money, okay? I’ll get Junmyeon to pay,” Yixing said, a mischievous glint flashing in his eye. He was acting unusually delighted, but Baekhyun liked it. It was cute. “I’ll text you the place and time later.”

The Chinese man hesitated a moment before giving a shy hug to Baekhyun, who easily returned the sweet gesture. “I’m happy we’re friends,” Yixing mumbled shyly before returning to the work on his desk, leaving Baekhyun to silently coo in his own seat.

Yixing was adorable, that was a definite. Baekhyun felt touched.

Leaving the building that night, Baekhyun was taken by surprise once again by Yixing giving him another hug and playfully threatening that Baekhyun better come for lunch the next day. Junmyeon also leaving at the same time as them and have then a warm smile as he made his exit. It was pleasant normality of it all was surprising, but Baekhyun wouldn’t have it any other way.

He wished everything would be like this from now on like it had been what seemed like ages ago; minimal stress and friends. It was nice.

The next morning, Baekhyun awoke to a text message from Yixing.

From Xing:
Baekhyun! We’re going to the café by work. I love that place. Then we’re going somewhere else afterwards. We’re meeting there at noon, don’t be late! :D

As cute as Baekhyun could imagine Yixing sounding through a text message, Baekhyun couldn’t feel happy about it.

“The café by work…,” Baekhyun grumbled to himself, feeling an uneasiness pooling in the pit of his stomach. "Of course it would be there.”

That damn café he had no intention of going to again. And now he had to go there. It was Yixing’s fault.

Okay, so maybe that was unfair and exaggerated, but Baekhyun, staring blankly at the wall in front of him, was less than thrilled.

Going to the café meant seeing Chanyeol there.

Maybe Chanyeol wasn’t working today.

Oh, who was Baekhyun kidding? Chanyeol was always working. He…he had a child to support…

But maybe he was with said child today. There was always that possibility.

Baekhyun sighed heavily as he forced himself off the bed and trudged to the bathroom. He had no business with Chanyeol. Today wasn’t about Chanyeol. Today was about having fun with his friends; celebrating Yixing’s time in Korea.

Hopefully, things would go as planned.  

 

 

 

As expected, it didn't take long for Baekhyun to arrive at the cafe, seeing as how he got there right on time; Noon sharp. And luckily for him, as soon as he walked into the place with a chime from the bells on the door, Baekhyun was immediately abducted into the arms of an overly excited Yixing with Junmyeon taking a few steps foreword behind Yixing. Had the two come together?

"Thanks for coming!" Yixing gushed once he released Baekhyun from his tight hold, courtesy of Junmyeon with an intervening pat on the shoulder on when he noticed Baekhyun's face turning slightly blue. "Today is going to be so much fun. I love the food here! Ever since you brought me some food that one time, I've just been itching to come here! And Junmyeon was so kind to offer to pay for it," Yixing explained happily, motioning to the CEO who exaggeratedly rolled his eyes.

"Offer? You practically forced me to pay for it all today see how you threatened my car with a new paint job," Junmyeon half grumbled an accusation to the Chinese man, exasperated.

Baekhyun's eyes quickly turned into wide orbs as he was stunned by the statement. Yixing--sweet, innocent Yixing--threatened Junmyeon? Their boss?!

Yixing crossed his arms in defiance, "Perfume Pink would have been a perfect color for you."

"Excuse me, Perfume Pink? What kind of a color is that?"

"A shade of pink, obviously."

"That sounds so gay--Er, well stupid."

"Speak for yourself."

Baekhyun was stunned, standing silently on the sidelines with his mouth agape, as the two went head to head online the matter. This was a new side to Yixing he hadn't witnessed before, but it was oddly nice. It was nice to see a side of Yixing that wasn't aloof. Especially when just moments later, he could see him and Junmyeon laughing at one another.

"Hello! Are you ready to order?" Baekhyun heard a familiar voice ask from the cash register, turning to see Jongdae with an inviting smile.

"Oh, Baekhyun!" Jongdae then exclaimed loudly, his cheerful smiled growing when he noticed Baekhyun staring at him. "Fancy seeing you here! It's been a while. Are these your friends?" he asked, motioning to Yixing and Junmyeon who were watching the two interact curiously.

"Uh, yeah," Baekhyun said, walking up closer to the counter, feeling axious just seeing Jongdae, because be was reminded that the cafe was also Chanyeol's work place as well. "We're celebrating Yixing employment here in Korea. He's originally from China," Baekhyun explained.

"Seriously? That's so cool! Congratulations, Yixing," Jongdae said cheerfully, Yixing hastily giving his thanks right after. "Actually, a friend and I are currently learning Chinese. Baekhyun, you met him. Minseok, remember?"

"Oh," Baekhyun uttered, surprised. "Yeah, I remember him."

"We're not very good yet, but we want to go to China someday," Jongdae explained upon noticing Yixing's intrigued expression. "Now, I probably shouldn't be keeping you guys waiting. Are you ready to order?" he asked again, fingers at the ready above the cash register.

The three ordered and were told to pick a table, which they did and settled by a window to enjoy the sun that was shining outside.

"Wow, Baek. have you been here so often that staff even knows you?" Junmyeon asked, clearly amused by the casual conversing between him and Jongdae just minutes before.

Baekhyun shifted in his seat uncomfortably, yet trying not to be noticeable to his friends. He just shrugged his shoulders, muttering, "I guess it appears that way, doesn't it?"

"It really does," Yixing agreed.

"Is...Is Chanyeol working today?" Junmyeon asked, his tone of voice lower than had just been, clearly trying not to be noticed by anyone aside from them.

Leave it to Junmyeon to bring up the sensitive subject. Even though he wasn't aware of the current predicament.

"Um, I don't know," Baekhyun said, "that's a good question."

"Who's Chanyeol?" Yixing asked, feeling confused and out of the loop. There was a so-called loop, right?

"Baekhyun's...other friend," Junmyeon told the Chinese man, "He works here too."

"Yeah, but he's not really important at the moment. This is your day, Yixing," Baekhyun said hastily, forcing a smile to mask his anxiety. "How are you liking working with us?"

Yixing's tinkled laugh was a nice distraction from reality for Baekhyun. The other scratched his temple lightly as he answered, "I'm enjoying it a lot, even though I haven't been there long. I think it's fun being here in Korea and...Well, I've tried a lot of new things."

Yixing said that last part while looking away from Junmyeon, being honest. Because really, he had done knew things while he was in a new country. Sleeping with his boss was something completely knew to him. Thankfully, neither of the men he was with even noticed any sliver of odd behavior from him.

Sleeping with his boss....Yixing knew that topic needed to be discussed with the other man at some point, but not today. Definitely not today.

"You've been doing very well here," Junmyeon added, encouraging Yixing who smiled gratefully back at his boss.

"You two sure seem to be a lot closer than you were," Baekhyun commented, nonchalantly referring to the two. "You were teasing each other so much just earlier, I might've misunderstood it for flirting if I didn't know better."

Yixing's cheeks flushed a pale pink in embarrassment while Junmyeon's eyes became widened in high alert.

Well, Junmyeon mentally considered this to himself, maybe that is what we were doing....Perhaps we should be more careful from now on.

“You’re food,” Jongdae announced as he arrived to their table not too much later, setting the plates down before them. “Is there anything else I can get you?”

“No, that’s fine. Thanks, Jongdae,” Baekhyun thanked, smiling pleasantly. He had to admit, it was nice seeing Jongdae again. It had been a while.

It was a good idea to come, Baekhyun decided as he spent his time with his friends. Watching Yixing and Junmyeon interact with one another was interesting to say the least and all of them talking about an enjoyable variety of foreign films was pleasant conversations. At one point, Baekhyun had a ball spilling a secret of Junmyeon’s to Yixing, who was laughing hysterically as he listened thoroughly about the time Junmyeon crossed dress and danced on a stripper pole at a club when he wasn’t even drunk.

Junmyeon even had the audacity to kick Baekhyun’s shin underneath the table, but Baekhyun just kicked him back, both laughing.

Yeah, it was definitely a good idea to come.

Nearing the end of their lunch, all were surprise when a small cake arrived at the table before them.

“Um, I heard you guys were celebrating. Please accept this cake on behalf of the staff,” Baekhyun heard as he stared at the cake, heart thumping madly in his ribcage. It was a chocolate cake with many strawberries adorning the top; one of Baekhyun’s favorites.

“Wow, thanks so much,” Yixing thanked Chanyeol gratefully, eyes sparkling at the amount of strawberries on the top of it.

Chanyeol, however, didn’t leave the table and stared Baekhyun who didn’t dare look up from the table. Junmyeon, sensing the tension radiating off his friend, took the initiative and asked Chanyeol, “Is there something you need?”

Chanyeol looked to him, taken off guard that he had been caught staring. He had made it rather obvious though.

“Let me give you a tip,” Junmyeon continued, pulling out his wallet and holding up a considerable sized tip.

“No, no, that’s okay. It’s on the house, no tip needed,” Chanyeol hastily denied, taking a step back.

“Positive?”

“Yeah,” Chanyeol said, beginning to turn to make his leave, but halted as his eyes drifted to Baekhyun once again, who still made no motion to look back at him.

“Actually,” Chanyeol started hesitantly, forcing himself to stand his ground. “If it was alright, I was wondering if I could steal Baekhyun for just a moment…”

Baekhyun hesitantly looked up to see a hint of desperation in the taller male’s eyes, but shook his head. “Um, I’m sort of busy right now…with my friends.”

“It’ll only take a second,” Chanyeol insisted.

“Chanyeol,” Junmyeon said with authority to interfere, “Perhaps it could wait another time.”

“It’s important though—”

“Chanyeol?” Yixing voiced questioningly, the curiosity and recognition from him practically shining. “We we’re talking about you not long ago.”

Junmyeon elbowed the Chinese man in the side while Baekhyun wanted to crawl to someplace far away.

“Nothing bad, I assure you,” Yixing continued, noticing Chanyeol looking questioningly back at him. “In fact, these two were wondering if you were working today. Seeing as how you clearly are, I think they might want to talk to you.”

“Yixing, no, we’re celebrating.”

“Baekhyun, he said it would only take a second. It’s impolite to blow off friends, isn’t it?” Yixing pestered, clearly not catching any hint of avoidance from the other. “We’ll still be here when you get back.”

“…O-Okay,” Baekhyun finally agreed, though reluctantly. Suppressing a sigh, he got up from his seat and followed Chanyeol who lead him out a back door to the side of the café building.

The two of them stood silently, both clearly awkward and uncomfortable being alone together considering the recent event between them.

“If you could so kindly tell me what was so important, please do. My friends are waiting for me,” Baekhyun told Chanyeol insistently, not wanting to be alone with the other.

“Um…,” Chanyeol muttered, scratching the back of his neck. “Er…Well, I don’t really know what to say anymore—”

“Are you serious?” Baekhyun asked, clearly irritated now.

“W-Well, it’s just, I had some kind of speech prepared and now I…I can’t think of how it went.”

Baekhyun had to admit, Chanyeol looked rather pathetic at the moment.

“I…I wanted to apologize to you,” Chanyeol then said, his hands nervously toying with the hem of his uniform shirt. “Baekhyun, you have no idea just how sorry I am.”

Baekhyun nodded for him to go on, wanting to hear a little more. To be honest, it felt a bit empowering to hear Chanyeol’s weak voice saying such words.

“I didn’t want you to find out about…about that—”

“—your daughter.”

“Yes…My daughter. How did you find out, by the way?”

“I saw you at the park that day. When you found me crying, just before that I saw you playing at the park. She called you ‘daddy’,” Baekhyun answered, surprised with himself that he could say that with such ease.

Chanyeol sighed heavily, feeling regretful.

“I’m really sorry, Baekhyun. I owe so much to you. Everything….All the I put you through, you didn’t deserve that. I was a —worse than that even. God, Baekhyun, I hate myself so much, you have no idea.”

Baekhyun crossed his arms as if attempting to hold himself together.

“That’s why you broke up with me,” Baekhyun said, knowing his guess was correct. “You were going to be a father.”

Chanyeol confirmed the accusation with a simple nod.

“You deserve a better explanation than that,” Chanyeol said, knowing that was what Baekhyun wanted, as he had been trying to get all this time.

“I don’t know if I even want it anymore,” Baekhyun countered, refusing to look at Chanyeol anymore.

“Baekhyun, I need you to know.”

Baekhyun refused, shaking his head.

“Baekhyun, please,” Chanyeol begged. “Please hear me out. I’ll get down on me knees if it’ll make you want to listen.

“I never wanted us to end, not in a million years,” Chanyeol confessed, giving in and kneeling down when Baekhyun made to indication of listening before. “Believe me, breaking up with you was a terrible mistake and if I had the chance, I would take it all back. Please, at least give me a chance to explain everything.”

Baekhyun considered it all for a few moments before he caved. Seeing Chanyeol literally begging on his knees was incredibly pitiful, and he felt like if he didn’t at least listen to the other that he wouldn’t even forgive himself.

“…Don’t expect anything to be normal afterwards,” Baekhyun told him, his tone laced with bitterness. “I’m going to hate every second of it and no doubt it will hurt, but I’ll listen.”

Baekhyun was thrown back when he saw the wetness forming in Chanyeol’s eyes.

“Thank you, Baekhyun.”

“Can we meet tomorrow, then? Like I said, my friends are waiting for me.”

“You have my number,” Chanyeol said, getting back up to his feet, “Call me whenever you want to meet.”

The two walked back inside and before Baekhyun left the other for his friends, he turned to stare coldly at him.

“I want to know everything,” he said and Chanyeol nodded.

“I promise,” Chanyeol said back and Baekhyun walked away back to the table where Junmyeon was watching Yixing fold the receipt into an origami crane.

“How did it go? You okay?” Junmyeon asked as soon as Baekhyun sat down, clearly worried as he looked to his friend with concern.

Baekhyun gave him a small smile and nodded.

“Yeah, I’m fine. Everything is going to be fine.”

And oddly enough, despite the anxiety and stress from his confrontation with Chanyeol, Baekhyun did feel fine for the rest of the day, smiling and laughing and hanging out with his friends until dusk. 

 


 

A/N: Yes, I'm doing this! It's time for the truth to be revealed!! I've made you wait long enough, right? xD