Chapter 5

Once Was & Will Become

I AM SO SORRY GUYS FOR NOT UPDATING IN A WHILE I HAVE FAILED YOU AS A WRITER PLEASE ALLOW ME TO THROW MYSELF THE HIGHEST TOWER OF HOGWARTS AND FALL INTO THE FIREY PITS OF HELL WHERE I WILL SUFFER FOR AN ETERNITY!!!!

Okay, I won't actually do that but I deeply apologize for my absence. Been depressed and then...well, BaekYeol and many other pairings in real life have been distracting me. I get distracted easily. I'm sorry. I'll try harder. 

Anyway, here is chapter 5! 

 


 

Baekhyun was in a fantastic mood that morning, practically blinding his coworkers as he walked into work the brightest smile any of them had ever seen on him ever. Baekhyun never smiled this purely before, not even in private with Junmyeon.

Baekhyun barged into his boss’ private office to give the man his chai tea.

“Is that pastry for me?” Junmyeon had asked, eyeing the coffee cake with hungry eyes. He hadn’t had the time to make breakfast for himself that morning.

“Nope, all mine,” Baekhyun teased, sticking his tongue out in defiance before walking back out of the office, an added spring in his steps.

However, before he fully exited the room, he heard Junmyeon grumble under his breath that sounding like, “What a fat ,” but Baekhyun, out of the goodness of his heart, withheld the urge to flip the guy off. He’d get back at Junmyeon later, anyway.

Behind his happiness about having a civil conversation with Chanyeol that morning, he was still mad with himself that he had been nice to the tall bugger at all. After all, Chanyeol had confessed to cheating and he was just so mean about it, why should Baekhyun be polite and civil at all? Of course, it’s not like he’ll forgive Chanyeol for that—cheating was cheating and that was just bull—and yet, Baekhyun didn’t feel furious like he had the day before.

And he still really hoped that Chanyeol would call him.

I sort of appeared that Baekhyun wanted to get back with him, he knew that, and to some extent that was true. He’d always loved the man and when you love someone, they can never do wrong. Unfortunately, that also brings a lot of heartbreak.

Baekhyun shook his head, trying to clear his thoughts of the man. He really shouldn’t be thinking about Chanyeol this way. His chances of getting back together were very slim. Hell, Chanyeol had cheated on him so obviously there was a reason he wanted out.

And then Baekhyun froze and sat up straighter, grimacing at the foul taste in his mouth.

What Chanyeol seeing someone now?

Baekhyun’s exceptionally good mood slipped into a lesser happier one, his mind plagued with brooding thoughts. At this rate, he’d make himself sick with such worrying.

Baekhyun saw Junmyeon slip out of his office out of the corner of his eye and figured now would be a good time to get back to work.

 

 

 

 

 

Seven days; it had been a week since Baekhyun had entered the café Chanyeol worked at to give him his number. Seven days of endless anxiety from waiting and Baekhyun had heard nothing from the man. The past couple of nights, the secretary had gotten hardly a wink of sleep and it was starting to take a toll on him. His movements were sluggish and he had resorted to drinking almost six cups of coffee in a day. Junmyeon had even joked with him that soon he would be sweating caffeine.

Baekhyun thought that was gross.

In all seriousness, though, Baekhyun wasn’t pleased. Coming with the few hours of sleep he got, anger also settled in him. All week whenever Junmyeon would try engaging some sort of ual activity with him, but Baekhyun always snapped at him. Baekhyun even got pissed off at the printer for making too much noise while copying papers. He just wanted to break the goddamn thing.

Needless to say, Baekhyun felt like .

“What is going on with you lately?” Junmyeon demanded to know after making sure there was no one else on the floor that evening. Junmyeon had finally had it with Baekhyun’s mood swings and cornered him once the work day was done while Baekhyun was packing up his papers.

“I don’t know what you mean,” Baekhyun said, not taking a glance at his boss. He was tired and just wanted to go home.

Junmyeon sighed in exasperation and grabbed Baekhyun by his arm, forcing the younger to follow him down to the parking garage where he practically threw Baekhyun into the passenger seat before taking his one respectful place on the driver’s side. The two sat in silence for a moment before Junmyeon grabbed Baekhyun’s hand comfortingly.

“Baek, please just tell me what’s going on. This behavior of yours isn’t normal.”

Baekhyun didn’t say a word.

Junmyeon, being the intellectual person he is, already figured what part of the issue was.

“This is about that one guy from the café, right? Your ex?”

Baekhyun lay his head down in defeat, shifting his eyes away so he didn’t have to see Junmyeon’s sympathy.

“I can go with you to the café if you want,” Junmyeon offered. “I’m figuring something was said between you two…Or something of the sort. Baekhyun, just tell me what the problem is, please.”

“I gave him my number and told him to call me. I just want to know the truth…,” Baekhyun muttered, feeling a lump in his throat. No, he didn’t want to start crying here. Now wasn’t the time.

Junmyeon tightened his grip on his employee’s hand, feeling sorry for the man. “Sometimes, ignorance is bliss. I think it’s best if you just let this one go. He doesn’t seem interested and you’re only going to get more hurt,” he said softly, hoping that his words wouldn’t make Baekhyun upset.

Baekhyun’s only answer was, “Take me home.”

Junmyeon did as told and waited outside Baekhyun’s apartment complex until the younger was safely inside his home.

He didn’t really know this Chanyeol guy, but he did not like him at all for the pain he was causing Baekhyun.

 

 

 

 

“Baekhyun, did you not get any sleep last night?” a co-worker whom Baekhyun didn’t recognize asked him while he was reviewing some papers Junmyeon had given him. Baekhyun knew his complexion didn’t look very well and he felt so tired, so it wasn’t a huge surprise that someone had noticed. 

“Oh? Uh, no, not really,” Baekhyun admitted, leaning back in his chair. He peered at the unfamiliar man before asking, “No offense, but who are you? I don’t recognize you from this floor…”

“Oh, right! I’m Zhang Yixing, I transferred here from the China branch. Today is actually my first day. I’ll work very hard, I promise,” Yixing introduced himself, bowing respectfully to his senior.

Yixing seemed like a nice and polite person already, Baekhyun couldn’t help but start to like his character. “Well, I’m Byun Baekhyun. If you need any help with anything, feel free to ask me,” he said kindly.

Yixing smiled sheepishly before softly speaking up once more, “I’ll take you up on that offer, actually. I was told there’s a staff room where there’s snacks and whatnot. Can you tell me where that’s at?”

Baekhyun had to bite his lip in order to hold back the giggle that threatened to erupt from him. This guy was so precious.

“Sure thing,” Baekhyun complied, getting up from his chair. “I want a coffee refill, so we’ll go there together.”

“Thanks,” Yixing said.

The two exchanges polite conversation as they walked out into the hallway, walking down the way passing a large stack of boxes resting against the wall.

“That’s a safety hazard…,” Baekhyun muttered, eyeing the boxes. Those things were stacked way too high for anyone’s comfort. Who the hell did that? Weren’t they even thinking of the safety of others? That person was obviously not doing their job correctly.

Unbeknownst, neither realized just how close the two were to the stairs when Baekhyun had a sudden dizzy spell, starting to lean to the side towards the stairs.

Not really sure of what was happening still, Baekhyun felt Yixing grab him, pulling him back so that he wouldn’t tumble down the stairs. “Careful now,” Yixing warned, his heart pounding from the dangerous incident that almost occurred.

Baekhyun regained his senses and wearily stared down the stairs, wincing. That could have been a very bad accident. Baekhyun mentally punched himself. He was so tired, more tired than what was safe. He really needed that coffee refill if he was to stay awake the rest of the day.

“Thanks…,” he said, taking a breath.

“You alright?” Yixing asked concernedly, making sure his coworker was well enough to walk. “You don’t seem too good.”

Baekhyun shook his head, placing a hand on the wall to steady himself, “I’m fine, don’t worry so much.”

A crashing sound behind them made Yixing whip around in surprise to see that is was the boxes that had been stacked, tumbling down and falling hard to the floor, some of them opening and the papers scattered about.

While turning though, Yixing barely made notice of the thing his body had bumped into until it was too late. Gasping, he turned back around and Baekhyun was no longer there, but was now flying midair down the stairs.

To Yixing, it all happened in slow motion and the terrified look on Baekhyun’s face was just enough to make him panic.

“! Baekhyun!”

 

 


 A/N: My readers, please subscribe and comment! You're welcome to upvote as well. 

:) 

I love you guys, thanks for reading the story. Seeing your comments make me feel fuzzy inside :)