Chapter 10

Once Was & Will Become

“Hey Baekhyun, can I talk to you for a minute?” Junmyeon asked, catching Baekhyun before he left the office for the night. Baekhyun gave the older a curious look before waving Yixing on, then turning back to follow his boss into his private office, trying not to suffocate in the awkward tension in the air that engulfed them.

It had been a couple of days since their dispute and Baekhyun would be lying if he said he wasn’t a little hurt that his friend had been deliberately avoiding him. Whenever Baekhyun needed to drop off some important paperwork to the boss, Junmyeon would quickly pick up the phone and pretend to be having an important conversation. Baekhyun knew this because he would wait a few moments outside his office and listen to the other side through the door before walking—he knew Junmyeon so well. He wanted to apologize to his friend for being less understanding to him that day.

Junmyeon motioned for Baekhyun to take a sit on the couch before taking a seat himself on his coffee table. It was his table, he could do what he wanted to. Neither spoke, only shifting their gazing to anything other than each other.

Baekhyun briefly wondered if they’d remain that way for the next hour.

“I’ve been avoiding you. I’m sorry,” Junmyeon then said, looking regretful. “I was just irritated.”

“It’s okay,” Baekhyun replied, “Actually you shouldn’t even be apologizing, it’s my fault after all. I know you were only being concerned for me.”

Junmyeon smiled weakly, now looking at his friend.

“Can I ask you why you forgave him?” he asked, feeling pathetic for feeling low. It’s how he had been feeling the entire time he wasn’t talking to Baekhyun.

Baekhyun sighed, feeling awkward again. “Well, as I mentioned before, we’ve known each other forever. I missed him and now we want to be decent to each other.”

It was the truth. Though, Baekhyun decided to leave out the part that he still had feelings for the giant.

Junmyeon then grabbed his hand, brushing his thumb over the top, “Now that he’s your friend too, you’re not going to forget about me, right?”

Baekhyun had to bite his lip to refrain from laughing aloud at the innocence of the question. Junmyeon seemed so adorable asking that. It was like a little boy not wanting to share his best friend—which was actually very accurate.

“No,” Baekhyun confirmed, pulling Junmyeon in for a hug, “How can I forget my best friend? Besides, you’re also my boss. That’s just absurd.”

You’re absurd!” Junmyeon joked back loudly, smirking as Baekhyun rolled his eyes.

“You should watch less StarKid,” Baekhyun commented, looking smug.

“Now, that’s absurd.”

Baekhyun shook his head at his friend’s ridiculousness. “Junmyeon, joking aside, you’re a really good friend. Totally awesome.”

“Now, who needs to watch less StarKid?”

Such nerds, they were.

“So…just a friend? I’m a good friend?” Junmyeon asked, now looking less than thrilled.

Baekhyun nodded, smiling widely. “The best.”

He didn’t even realize just how hard he had friend-zoned the man.

Suddenly, Junmyeon pushed Baekhyun into the couch, covering the other’s mouth with his own in an open-mouthed kiss immediately plunging his tongue into the wet cavern, wildly exploring the crevices.

Taken by surprise, Baekhyun squeaked at the sudden action, instinctively pushing Junmyeon back by the shoulder, but the older didn’t budge, only continuing to kiss him.

Normally, due to the ual part of their friendship, Baekhyun wouldn’t have minded the sudden affection, but now that he had Chanyeol back in his life he just couldn’t do it.

Would Junmyeon understand?

Trying to push Junmyeon away, Baekhyun had begun struggling, groaning aloud but Junmyeon mistook it as something pleasurable and began palming the front of Baekhyun’s pants and then attacking his neck with kisses.

“J-Junmyeon, stop please!” Baekhyun gasped, trying to ignore the pleasant feeling and his growing in his pants. Damn his body’s natural reaction.

“Why? Do you not want to do it here?” Junmyeon questioned, grabbing one of Baekhyun’s hands and forcing it above his head before rolling his hips against the younger’s.

“Stop!” Baekhyun gasped again when Junmyeon nipped at the sensitive skin on his neck, and harshly slapping the older’s back to get him to stop.

Junmyeon groaned, pulling back with a confused look, “Why? We haven’t done anything together in a while.”

“And I think we shouldn’t anymore,” Baekhyun then said, sitting up and creating some space them. He took a moment to catch his breath before continuing, “I don’t think we should do this anymore. The , that is.”

The look on Junmyeon’s face said it all. Why? He didn’t seem to mind it before. Had Junmyeon done something wrong? Did he not satisfy the other anymore?

Junmyeon was upset, and not just about the .

“Why?” Junmyeon asked again, his head bent down so that Baekhyun couldn’t see his eyes. 

Baekhyun sighed, not particularly sure what to say. “I…I don’t want our friendship to become complicated is all…,” he muttered out weakly.

“It already is, really,” Junmyeon all but growled, shooting up from the couch, pinching the bridge of his nose. He couldn’t do this anymore. He couldn’t believe it. He couldn’t hold it in any longer. “I thought you said you wouldn’t forget me.”

Dammit Baekhyun, he cursed in his head.

“I’m not forgetting you! I just don’t want to do it…I don’t understand what you’re saying,” Baekhyun cried out, surprised by Junmyeon’s erratic transitions in emotion.

“You’re oblivious…,” Junmyeon grumbled as he glowered at the other. “You’re right, maybe we shouldn’t do this.

“Baekhyun, I need to tell you something and I just need you to listen. Please accept it,” The CEO continued, his eyes smoldering into Baekhyun’s.

“G-go ahead then…,” Baekhyun whispered, taken aback by Junmyeon’s intimidating aura. Never before had he ever felt so nervous with his friend.

Junmyeon sighed, deciding to just say it and not stall anymore.

“I like you.”

 

 

 

 

Baekhyun didn’t come into work the next day, which was probably for the best.

Baekhyun didn’t any sleep at all that night after his boss’ confession. How had that even happened? Hr never noticed or even suspected Junmyeon harboring any feelings for him; they’re friendship was strictly friendship, they had agreed when they began to be each other’s ual favor.

How would this friendship be from now on?

It was going to be so uncomfortable.

Baekhyun buried his face in his pillow as he recollected the happenings of the previous night.

I like you.”

He had been so shocked upon hearing those words, he didn’t know how to react. What could he do? Was there a book about this? A How-To Book? It wasn’t every day his best friend confessed to him.

“W-What are you saying…?” Baekhyun had asked, eyes wide.

“Exactly as it sounds,” Junmyeon answered, walking back over to take his friend’s hand but Baekhyun drew it away much to Junmyeon’s dismay.

Junmyeon was disappointed.

“I…I don’t feel anything…for you,” Baekhyun uttered out, getting up and walking to behind the couch, creating even more space between them while also trying not to freak out at all. He didn’t want to hurt Junmyeon, he was too good of a person to deserve to be let down. “Why me? Don’t like me, I’m not good. You should like someone like Yixing. He likes you…”

Hopefully, Yixing never finds out that he said this….

Junmyeon scoffed upon hearing Baekhyun’s words, hollowly smiling.

“Yixing? I don’t want to be with him, because I want you, Baek. I just want you. And you, wanting to be friends with that jerk, Chanyeol? Just friends? Yeah right.”

Baekhyun didn’t say anything. He didn’t want to lie, but couldn’t bring it upon himself to voice it.

“Why him?” Junmyeon bitterly pressed on, the pain clearly showing on his face making Baekhyun want to take everything back. “I’ve been good to you these past couple years. I’ve been by your side. Chanyeol…he cheated on you, didn’t care about you, yet you still love him even though you said you didn’t anymore. You lied to yourself and you lied to me. Why do you still choose him?

“Why not me?!” Junmyeon practically yelled, feeling like someone had just stomped on his heart.

And in a way, it had been.

“I-I’m sorry…,” Baekhyun choked out, feeling as if he was drowning from the ferocious pounding of his heart in his chest.

He felt completely terrible.

Junmyeon groaned in frustration, looking away to gaze out the window and out onto the lit of city in the darkness. It was pretty, but the sight did nothing to console his aching heart.

“Just go.”

And so now here Baekhyun was, feeling like a horrible person beneath the warm blankets that never seemed to uncomforting before.

What was he going to do? Surely Junmyeon hated him now, there was no way he couldn’t. Would he suggest that Baekhyun quit his job? Fire him? Never talk to him again. Baekhyun didn’t know if he could handle that, he loved Junmyeon so much as a friend, he just couldn’t lose him.

Though, if he did lose him, he brought it upon himself, didn’t he?

“What the am I going to do?” Baekhyun grumbled to himself, rolling over in his bed restlessly. He peered at the clock to see it was almost noon. Baekhyun’s stomach then growled and the man looked down at the smooth skin on his front pitifully.

“Are you hungry?” he asked his tummy, patting it lightly. “Shall we get food?”

He imagined his voice pleading for food in a screechy voice before rolling out of bed, “Okay, let’s get something.”

He pattered through the kitchen, looking in the cupboards and the fridge for something but nothing sounded good. Perhaps because he wasn’t feeling well. Comfort food? Was that something he needed? Yes.

There was one place Baekhyun could think of that may make him feel better.

Baekhyun grabbed his phone, searching through his contacts before composting a message.

Hey, it’s Baekhyun. I’m coming down to the café, anything you want to request today? Baekhyun typed, before going to get changed into some clean clothes.

Yay~! Thanks for finally texting me! How does a sweet potato Hawaiian pizza sound? It’s got some spice to it, was Jongdae’s reply, making a small smile appear on Baekhyun’s face.

He typed quickly, saying that sounded delicious before throwing his shoes on and bounding out the door. Perhaps getting out of the house would be a good distraction for him.

It didn’t take him long to arrive there, and Baekhyun was surprised to see Chanyeol at the counter today instead of Jongdae.

The mere thought and image of Chanyeol made Baekhyun’s heart sink as he remembered his encounter with Junmyeon.

Baekhyun approached the counter and less than excitedly greeted Chanyeol before giving his order.

Chanyeol immediately sensed that something was wrong, Baekhyun didn’t exactly try to hide it.

“You okay?” Chanyeol asked him, looking at the shorter concernedly as he fixed the food.

Baekhyun shrugged and didn’t say more. Chanyeol took the hint and didn’t press any further.

As soon as Chanyeol was finished putting the food together, Jongdae made his appearance as he exited the back room and cheerfully sauntered over to Baekhyun. “I see you actually came,” he mused, taking a seat across from the man at the table he took refuge at.

Baekhyun smiled weakly, nodding. He quietly thanked Chanyeol who brought his food over before taking a bite, humming a satisfied response.

“It’s good, isn’t it?” Jondgae inquired, resting his head on his hands as he cutely watched Baekhyun eat.

“Recommending food is a skill of yours. This is really good,” Baekhyun mumbled as he continued to eat.

“Of course it’s something I’m good at,” Jongdae boasted playfully, “I’m the best worker here.”

“Under me, that is,” Chanyeol cut in, taking a seat with his own food in hand and a strawberry-pineapple smoothie to Baekhyun. “You looked down so I made this for you,” he told the older male.

Baekhyun carefully took the drink, smiling in thanks and forced back the guilt that resided inside him.

Jongdae looked at him with a panicked expression. “Are you not feeling well?” he questioned. “Did something happen?”

“I don’t think he wants to talk about it,” Chanyeol said warningly, staring pointedly at his coworker.

Baekhyun sighed, “There’s just stuff going on at work, is all. I had an argument with my boss.”

“Oh, that’s not good,” Jongdae sympathized, “I hope it works itself out.”

Baekhyun smiled in thanks. The rest of lunch went by smoothly as Chanyeol and Jongdae chatted about hanging out together that night to unwind a bit while Baekhyun listened as he finished his food. He listened with interest, using this as a way to distract himself from his own thoughts.

“Hey, Baekhyun do you want to join us tonight?” Jongdae asked, inviting his friend to come along. It was only polite to do so plus, he really wanted Baekhyun to come as a reason to spend more time with him.

It was apparent that he felt something for the slightly taller male.

Baekhyun had all the luck, didn’t he?

Chanyeol stiffened at Jongdae’s words, his gaze now trained on Baekhyun who looked as if he was debating the decision. Would this make things awkward? He and Baekhyun had just begun to be on good terms, but was going out (in a group) too much right now?

This was ridiculous, it’s just an outing as friends with another friend.

Chanyeol was thinking too much.

“Sure,” Baekhyun decided, looking a bit happier than he had when he arrived at the café. “What time?”

“We clock off at six tonight, so if you want to conme by at that time, then we can all leave together,” Jongdae said, now standing up from his seat, followed by the other two.

“Sounds good, I guess I’ll see you both tonight,” Baekhyun said before taking his leave so the two could return to their work.

Tonight was sure to be a good distraction.

 

 

 

 

 

That evening down at the corporation building, Junmyeon was up to his own way for a distraction from his own strife.

Junmyeon had held Yixing back a moment, wanting to talk to the Chinese man, and Yixing was more than happy to oblige. He’d do anything for the man, despite being his employee or not, and Junmyeon knew that now.

“What did you want to talk to me about, sir?” Yixing asked, standing less than two feet from the CEO.

Junmyeon sighed before turning to the other with a smile, “I’ve been thinking about something today. I’ve been thinking about you.”

“You’re not going to fire me right?” Yixing then asked, clearly worried.

“No of course not!” Junmyeon nearly shouted. He didn’t want to intimidate the man, that wasn’t his intention. “No, no. Actually, I wanted to ask you something.”

Yixing visibly relaxed, chucking embarrassedly. “O-Okay, then ask away,” he stammered, allowing the other to speak now.

“You…We’re friends, right? Not to employer-employee?”

Yixing nodded, “I would like to think so.”

“Then, can I do something? As a friend? I’ve been having a hard time lately,” Junmyeon asked, grinning weakly.

Yixing nodded, not expecting of what was to come.

Junmyeon leaned over, taking Yixing by surprised as he wrapped his arms around the Chinese man into an embrace surprising the man.

“J-Junmyeon, w-what are you doing?” Yixing stuttered, frigid in the embrace and confused.

Junmyeon ignored the question, smirking at his employee before close the distance between their lips.  

 


 

A/N: Hello, my lovelies~ I am updating on a Saturday again~ 

There's a lot that's going to happen soon so please look forward to it. In the next chapter, we get to read about Chanyeol, Chen, and Baekhyun's hang out because I want things to happen now. Please stay subscribed for that :) 

And Junmyeon...Oh, Junmyeon, what to do? And Yixing, dear....Things might get a little messy. I hope this is getting you all interested. 

Baekhyun is pretty popular isn't he? ;)  However, that's only causing trouble for our main character. We'll have to see what's going to happen. 

Again, I want to thank you all for reading this story. For a while there, I was thinking about taking this down but with some of your lovely comments and support, I decided to persevere. Thanks, guys. I hope I can satisfy you all with the events to come. 

Thanks guys! I love you! Please comment and subscribe~