Chapter 21

Once Was & Will Become

THIS IS AN UPDATE!!! A REAL ONE!

i'm sorry this is late!!!! please enjoy it anyway!! 

 


 

It had been one day--one day and Baekhyun had felt the happiest he had ever been in a while. He finally knew the truth, something he'd been yearning for a long time. 

"The truth shall set you free, right?"

Except, knowing what struggles Chanyeol and his family were going through, Baekhyun felt an underlining  feeling of constant worry. Was this how Chanyeol felt? He couldn't imagine feeling like this every day for years. It must have taken its toll on the poor boy, Baekhyun thought.

But even so, and despite it being Monday, Baekhyun was in high spirits. 

Though it may have something to do with the text message he had received in the morning from a certain tall waiter.

From: Chanyeol
Baek! Come visit me at the cafe today! :)

A smiley face. Chanyeol sent a freaking smiley face.

There was no wiping away that gigantic smile on Baekhyun's face--it lit half the room, it was that bright.

There was a noticeable change when Baekhyun had entered the office, catching the attention of Yixing and Junmyeon who were chatting in whispers by his desk.

It was notably amusing the way a shy smile has crawled its way on the Chinese man's face.

"Baekhyun!" Junmyeon called, nothing for the other to come quickly, "Now, only because I care about you, what the hell went on Saturday with Chanyeol?"

It was a demand laced with the utmost care from a good friend that made Baekhyun feel blithe.

Baekhyun smiled as he responded, "It's nothing to worry about now. Things are worked out."

Junmyeon huffed, "Seriously? Baekhyun, you were so hurt by him, and now everything is okay?"

"Yeah. He came over yesterday; we worked things out."

"We'll, I still don't like him."

Baekhyun say down at his desk and looked up at his worried boss, "Don't worry about it, Junmyeon."

"But--"

"Junmyeon, I think he's got it under control," Yixing cut in. Laying a hand on the CEO's shoulder. "Now, go away."

Grumbling something unintelligible under his breath, Junmyeon trudged back into his office that Yixing had taken accustomed to calling The Cave.

Rolling his eyes, Baekhyun resumed his good morning to Yixing.







"Yah, watch where you're going!"

"Sorry!"

Despite it being the lunch hour rush, Baekhyun ran eagerly to the place he loved so much, weaving in between the many bustling people.

Walking into the cafe, Baekhyun was greeted with a surprising sight--and so darn cute at the same time.

A little girl sat behind the counter coloring in a coloring book, unaware of the world around her except for Jongdae who was assisting her. It was adorable, really.

And what made Baekhyun more excited and exceptionally nervous at the same time was that the little girl was Chanyeol's daughter--he recognized her from the park that one day.

Chanyeol must have wanted to spend the day with her today.

"Oh! Hi, Baekhyun!" Jongdae greeted him cheerfully, standing straight as he walked closer to the register. "How are you doing today?"

"I'm good, thanks," Baekhyun replied. "Is Chanyeol in the back?"

"Yeah, he's finishing up the dishes real quick. He'll be out soon. Can I get you something?"

"Um, surprise me," Baekhyun requested before Jongdae went off to put together some food for him.

In the meantime, Baekhyun warily walked closer to the little girl, bending down onto his knees to be at eye level.
 
"Hi," he said m, breaking the silence between them. Lina looked up from her coloring book and greeted him with a cute, cheerful smile.
 

“Hi. You look pretty.”

A faint blush crept its way onto Baekhyun’s face as he recovered from the sudden compliment.

“O-oh, you’re very pretty, too.”

“I’m Lina. What’s your name?” she asked. She was so cute, Baekhyun wasn’t quite sure how to handle himself. Just by seeing the toothy smile she gave him, the resemblance between her and her father was indefinite, especially the way her ears poked out from under the cap she was wearing.

“I’m Baekhyun.”

“Oh!” she gasped, making Baekhyun smile to himself. “Daddy said his friend was coming today for lunch. You’re Baekhyun? You’re my daddy’s friend?” she interrogated him excitedly, practically bouncing in her seat.

A rush of happiness rushed through him when he heard that. It was just, the fact that Chanyeol was talking about him—was telling his daughter of his existence—it made Baekhyun feel really good.

“Yeah,” he voiced softly, lifting his hand to hold it out to her, “It’s nice to meet you. I heard a lot of good things about you.”

She clasped his hand in response.

Just then, Chanyeol walked up behind his daughter and patted her head, “I see you two have met. Lina-yah, do you like daddy’s friend?”

Lina nodded her head animatedly. “He’s really pretty!” she giggled.

Chanyeol smiled softly, shifting his gaze to look Baekhyun in the eye, unknowingly raising goose bumps on Baekhyun’s skin. “Yes,” he agreed, “He’s very very pretty.”

Baekhyun couldn’t breather— Baekhyun couldn’t breathe. Why did Chanyeol have to say that—why couldn’t have Chanyeol said nothing at all?! His cheeks burned and the harsh pounding in his chest rang in his ears—he really hoped neither of the two could hear it.

The pure truthfulness that somehow showed in Chanyeol’s eyes staring back at him didn’t help him at all.

“But, not prettier than me, right?” Lina pressed, smiling even more if that was even possible.

“Of course not!” Baekhyun chimed in, quickly recovering the internal shock of the compliment. “You’re the prettiest little girl I’ve ever seen.

“Yes, daddy’s little girl is the cutest. What do you want to eat, I’ll make it for you?” Chanyeol asked his daughter.

“I want a ham sandwich, daddy!”

“Okay, just a moment. Go find a seat with Baekhyun.”

Lina hopped off the chair before walked around the counter and grabbing Baekhyun’s hand.

“Let’s sit by the window!” Lina insisted, pulling along an entranced Baekhyun.

Just a few moments later after getting to their table, Jongdae came along carrying Baekhyun’s food, following by Chanyeol with an additional two plates for his own order.

“I got you spaghetti—made it myself just for you~,” he practically sang, setting it down before the other male. “And before you go back to work, see me real quick; I need to tell you something.”

Baekhyun nodded, his lips at the food, “Sure.”

“Don’t do it—he’s going to ask you to be his boyfriend,” Chanyeol ordered one Jongdae returned to the register.

Baekhyun looked to him skeptically, “I can’t tell if you’re serious or joking with that serious voice of yours.”

“I’m being serious—he likes you. He told me so earlier today.”

Baekhyun sighed, shaking his head. “I think you’re trying to prank me. And even if you aren’t, I’m not just going to leave after I said I would talk to him. That’s rude.”

“Yes, daddy, it’s rude. Mommy would scold you for being mean,” Lina agreed in support while chewing on her food.

Chanyeol took a napkin and wiped the crumbs off her face, “And mommy would also say not to talk while chewing your food.”

Lina huffed dramatically before taking another bite, “This is really good, daddy. A lot better than hospital food.”

“Because daddy made it with love.”

Baekhyun watched the two, completely captivated by the perfect family aura that surrounded them. The sight was so cute—much like the sight Baekhyun had fantasized so many years ago when he imagined Chanyeol with their adopted child.

Except Lina was Chanyeol’s biological daughter, not adopted, making Baekhyun feel slightly remorseful because cute, adorable, little Lina wasn’t their child.

But even with that detail added to their lunch date, it was still enjoyable.

Lina shared with Baekhyun that she really liked coming to work with her daddy, but she wasn’t allowed outside often. She didn’t like being at the hospital but the nurses played with her and she would watch cartoons with the other children. Baekhyun asked her what her favorite color was and she said pink.

By the time lunch had passed, Baekhyun admitted to himself that he was under Lina’s spell. She was just so cute and funny, he loved her to pieces. And he didn’t miss the proud smile that lingered on Chanyeol’s lips as he watched the two interact.

“Daddy, can I see Baekhyun again soon? I want to play with him,” Lina requested.

“When he has time, I’m sure he wouldn’t mind,” Chanyeol replied, looking to Baekhyun for confirmation.

Baekhyun nodded, “Absolutely, Lina. I hope we can see each other soon.”

“And…I hope we can hang out sometime soon, too,” Chanyeol added once Lina had returned to her coloring book. “I miss you.”

Baekhyun sighed as he turned to the other, “Um…I wouldn’t be opposed to that, but…”

“But what?”

Baekhyun quickly shook his head before hastily saying, “N-Nothing, it’s nothing.”

“No, what were you going to say?”

“Never mind, Chanyeol. It wouldn’t be appropriate.”

“Hey,” Chanyeol grunted, grabbing Baekhyun’s wrist in case the elder tried to run. “Just say it. I’m sure it’s not a big deal.”

Baekhyun sighed as he inwardly cursed the stupid giant.

“I hate you,” Baekhyun groaned, his head falling low.

“You love me.”

It wasn’t a playful answer, but a statement of fact.

Baekhyun shakily looked up to see Chanyeol’s smoldering gaze peering down at him, and Baekhyun knew this was real.

“You love me,” Chanyeol said again, his fingertips teasingly brushing against Baekhyun’s hand. “My feelings for you haven’t changed since then, no what has happened now. Just know that, please.”

“Chanyeol…”

“I love you, too.”

Baekhyun only nodded, not sure of what to say even with his voice caught in his throat.

“Text me,” Chanyeol told him before walking off to return to his work.

Baekhyun, still stunned from the confession, silently walked over to Jongdae who anxiously waited for him.

And it turned out Chanyeol was right about him. 

 


 

A/N: I'm so so sooooo sorry. This chapter is long overdue. School and stupid life got in the way, but I'm on break now so I'll try to update again soon!! I love you all who have subscribed and comment~~~ I might be coming out with a new story soon so keep on the lookout, okay? :)  Love you! Annyeong! ;D