Chapter 8

Once Was & Will Become

Haha hey guys~ I wrote this one my iPod so I apologize for any errors.


 

 

 
Baekhyun was so nervous to the point where he could just feel the beads of sweat accumulating on his back. Was it too early? Seriously, who calls a person at eight in the morning on a weekday. 
 
Maybe a text message would be better...
 
It had been a couple of days since Baekhyun and Chanyeol's first phone call and Baekhyun really wanted to get together. He just had the undeniable urge to see the other's face again. 
 
Was the strange? Probably, Baekhyun thought to himself. 
 
Finally working up enough courage to pick up the phone, and opened a his message box, typing in Chanyeol's number, which he had already memorized. 
 
", what do I even say?" He hissed to himself. 
 
Hi, Chanyeol. I'm feeling better now and was wondering if you wanted to have lunch or something. Say no if you want, I'll understand.. 
 
The sad part of this message was that it took Baekhyun fifteen to even type it, after deleting it three different times. 
 
Baekhyun waited, sitting at the table sipping his coffee, constantly peeking over at his phone. Why wasn't he texting back? Was he at work already? Was he really busy? Was he ignoring him? 
 
Gosh, the possibilities were endless.    
 
Eventually Baekhyun migrated to the couch, plopping down onto the pillows and turning on the tv to a random channel before once again staring at his phone. It was driving him mad. Chanyeol said to text so he did just that. 
 
He should relax, Baekhyun tried to tell himself. He was being too impatient and Chanyeol was probably busy with work. 
 
Since when was Baekhyun desperate? 
 
Baekhyun didn't even want to think of that. 
 
Suddenly Baekhyun's phone made a noise and Baekhyun frantically grabbed it, opening the new message. 
 
Sure. Come to the cafe around one.
 
Baekhyun didn't bother to fight the smile creeping onto his face. Today was going to be a great day, no doubt about it. 
 
Baekhyun spent the rest of the morning deciding what to wear and figuring out how to wear his eyeliner that day. 
 
 
 
 
 
Baekhyun was nervous to say the least. After being so excited that morning, now he was just scared. Having lunch with Chanyeol was a big thing. Perhaps, this could be the beginning of a mending friendship. Over the years, Baekhyun had missed the giant do much and now, after do long, we're going to have a conversation, a real one. And lunch. 
 
It was like a date. 
 
But not really one, much to Baekhyun's disappointment.
 
Baekhyun had had many thoughts about how much he hated the bastard, but he never really meant it. Sure he was bitter for what he did, but he Chanyeol was his first love and Baekhyun would always love him. That was the truth, even though it hurt him. 
 
Walking into the cafe, Baekhyun noticed it wasn't very busy today which was a good thing since Chanyeol may have more time for lunch. Baekhyun walked up the counter, saying hello to Jongdae who smiled brightly back at him. 
 
"So we meet again, it's fate," Jongdae commented in amusement. "I'm assuming you're here for Chanyeol again?"
 
Baekhyun nodded sheepishly, "Now is his lunch break, right?" 
 
"Yeah, he's just taking the trash out right now though. In the meantime, what can I get for you?" Jongdae asked, readying his hand in front of the register. 
 
Baekhyun ordered a slice of strawberry pie today, not caring if it wasn't real food. He felt like something sweet.   
 
A few moments later with the creak of the back door of the cafe swinging opening, Baekhyun looked up and gave a small grin to Chanyeol walking over with a slice of cherry pie and a sandwich. Chanyeol placed the pie in front of Baekhyun before sitting down. 
 
Needless to say, the first few minutes was awkward, neither saying a thing and chewing slowly in their food. Finally, Chanyeol looked to Baekhyun mumbling, "You should eat something healthier for lunch..."
 
Baekhyun shrugged his shoulders, his lips quirking upward. "But I wanted pie. Healthy food can wait."
 
Chanyeol chuckled, eyes shifting to the wall to the right of them. "You haven't changed in that aspect. 
 
"And you're still abnormally tall," Baekhyun shot back teasingly.      
 
Chanyeol shook his head, "No, you're just a shortie." 
 
Baekhyun glared at him and sniffed, picking up his napkin, crumpling it up and throwing it at the taller, sticking his tongue out at him when Chanyeol looked at him in disbelief. 
 
"I was just stating a fact," he added, picking up the napkin before throwing it back. 
 
"Hey, hey," Baekhyun said, "I'm your customer. Want me to complain to your employer?"
 
"I'm off duty," Chanyeol shot with a superior aura, "I can do what I want and make Jongdae clean it up." 
 
"Oh, great thanks! Seriously, just awesome," yelled sarcastically from his post at the counter, looking offended. He had quite obviously been eavesdropping. 
 
"You're welcome, nave," Chanyeol laughed back and laughed even harder when Jongdae shot him the finger when know one was looking. 
 
Baekhyun giggled at the too, finding the interaction amusing. E looked at Chanyeol, admiring the smile he was wearing. It had been so long since he had seen that smile, heard that laugh. It was enough to send the butterflies in his stomach into a frenzy. Were they having an in there or something? 
 
The only thing that twinges at Baekhyun is that reaction from Chanyeol wasn't because of him, or to him. 
 
It was somewhat disappointing and Baekhyun cursed his jealousy. 
 
It seriously . 
 
Chanyeol turned away from his coworker and back to Baekhyun, who had now finished his pie. "You should eat something else. At least take something when you leave."
 
"We'll since you're so insisting," Baekhyun muttered. "I grab something before I leave." 
 
"Good. Well, I have another thirty minutes left, so...How are you feeling?"
 
Baekhyun pursed his lips, "Better than yesterday. No more headache. Still a little sore." 
 
"Take better care of yourself. We don't want you falling down anymore stairs, now do we?" Chanyeol chuckled, taking another bite if his lunch.
 
Baekhyun only nodded before trying a question for the second time. "So, why are were you at the hospital that day?" 
 
Was he too forward?
 
Chanyeol's expression hardened slightly as he shook his head, "Stop asking that, it was personsl business. I'm not entitled to tell you." 
 
The irritation in his voice was evident. 
 
Baekhyun nodded before adding quickly, "I just want to make sure you're alright. Hospitals aren't exactly nice places to be." 
 
Chanyeol softened then, feeling a little guilty for snapping. "Thanks for the concern, I guess," he said, "But don't worry about me." 
 
Baekhyun nodded, slumping his shoulders. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to intrude. Um, how about a topic change?" 
 
Chanyeol agreed, slowly bobbing his head. "What do we talk about?"
 
"....Why did you break up with me." 
 
"Baekhyun, please..."
 
"Please, Chan."
 
"Don't call me that," the taller snapped, tensing. Baekhyun sure did have a way to kill a good mood. "I told you, I got tired of you."
 
"You can't mean that," Baekhyun whimpered, his lip trembling, looking away in a mix of desperation and panic. Why was Chanyeol being this way? 
 
".....Baekhyun, things are bitter between us. Yes, we didn't end well, I'm sorry. The way I broke things off was wrong and you deserved better. There, is that better? Please, Baekhyun. My reasons are my own and mine alone. Just leave it alone," Chanyeol pleaded, not wanting to Baekhyn to start crying in the cafe. He didn't want the customers to stare at them and he didn't want to be the one to make Baekhyun cry today. He just wouldn't be able to handle it today. 
 
"O-Okay...," Baekhyun finally agreed, slumping back in his chair, trying to control himself and his damn teary eyes. This was just humiliating, in more ways than one. 
 
Chanyeol sighed once more, looking to Baekhyun nervously. "Can I propose something?" 
 
Baekhyun nodded, lips still turned into a pout. 
 
"Let's start over." 
 
The words made Baekhyun look up abruptly, his wide eyes staring at Chanyeol in shock. "Say that again?"
 
Chanyeol scratched the back of his neck, feeling a mixture of awkwardness and embarrassment. "Um, let's start over. Like, be a somewhat good terms. I don't know if we could be friends, after everything that's happened...but I'd at least like to try. Get along, that is." 
 
Still completely dumbfounded, Baekhyun only nodded, feeling his  cheeks becoming warm. 
 
"Okay...cool," Chanyeol mumbled, taking a drink of his water. 
 
"Well...Acquaintance. You still have seven minutes left," Baekhyun announced, glancing at the time on his phone. 
 
"That I do...tell me what you want to it. I'll make it for you," Chanyeol said, getting up from his seat, picking up their dishes as he did so. 
 
"Wouldn't that be cutting into your break time?"
 
"We'll, I nearly made you cry. It's the least I can do," Chanyeol explained as he shook his head, walking behind the counter, pushing Jongdae out of the way with his shoulder. 
 
"So rude," Jongdae grumbled, huffing as he returned to wiping down the counters. 
 
"We'll, in that case...," Baekhyun began, quickly scanning the menu. "I want that waffle sandwich." 
 
"Turkey or chicken?" 
 
"Turkey please." 
 
"One turkey waffle sandwich, no tomato...," Chanyeol mumbled, punching the order into the register. 
 
Baekhyun had to smile at the order, feeling a little giddy. "You remember my distaste for tomatoes?" 
 
"How could I forget?" Chanyeol scoffed, rolling his eyes. "Back in middle school, I stuck those tomatoes into your food and you spit it out at me, and then ed me out in front of everyone in the cafeteria. You were quite the drama queen." 
 
Baekhyun chuckled at the memory. He also remembered how he took Chanyeol out for ice cream once school ended as an apology. The smile that graced Chanyeol's lips was something he'd never forget. 
 
"Here you go," Chanyeol said, pulling Baekhyun back to reality, holding out a paper bag to him. Baekhyun began to dig for the cash in his pocket, but Chanyeol stopped him. 
I already paid. As an apology.
 
"Thanks...Call me sometime? And not leave me hanging?" Baekhyun asked, giving the other a hopeful glance, feeling victorious when Chanyeol nodded yes.
 
Baekhyun turned to walk out the door, but stopped by Jongdae very much like the other day. 
 
"Baekhyun! Here, I wanted to give this to you," Jongdae said, holding out a cup of coffee to him. Baekhyun took it, giving a questioning look to the worker. 
 
"It's our new special, white chocolate raspberry mocha," he said, his twinkling at Baekhyun. Baekhyun hadn't noticed this before, but Jongdae was pretty short. 
 
"Oh, thanks," Baekhyun said gratefully. That was an awfully sweet gesture. He looked at the cup and now that Jongdae was scrawled a short message reading, 'Hope the rest of the day goes smoothly for you. Text me sometime? ;)' 
 
Baekhyun heard Chanyeol scoff behind them, "Jongdae, stop bothering him and get back to work." 
 
Jongdae stuck his tongue out at the taller, "Poo on you. Maybe Baekkie likes talking to me." 
 
"No he doesn't, he only bein polite." 
 
Baekhyun snickered a the two. "I'll be leaving now. I'll see you both around sometime." 
 
"Bye Baekkie!" Baekhyun heard behind him.
 
"Shut up. And don't call him that, it's annoying!" 
 
Maybe things were finally starting to look up for Baekhyun now. It about goddamn time.
 
 

 

A/N: I hope you guys liked it~ please comment and subscribe :)