Chapter 7

Once Was & Will Become

“Did I call the wrong number?”

“Uh…N-No…,” Baekhyun breathed, remembering that he had to actually talk to have a conversation.

“’Kay, cool. Um…You wanted me to call…and seeing you in the hospital today…What I’m trying to say is, are you okay?” Chanyeol asked cautiously. Baekhyun knew he was probably standing around awkwardly in his home, swaying back and forth. It was a typical Chanyeol thing to do when he felt uncomfortable or awkward. Baekhyun could tell this was uncomfortable.

It was uncomfortable for him too.

“Yeah, uh, I’m fine. Just been lying down today…,” Baekhyun uttered, walking to the table and sitting down, anxiously drawing circles on the tabletop.

For a week, he had been waiting for this call and that it was finally here, he wasn’t entirely sure what to do or say. It was, in general, an awkward moment.

“Good…What happened anyway?”

What was odd was that Chanyeol seemed concerned. He didn’t sound interested by force. It made Baekhyun grin in satisfaction.

“I fell down some stairs and hit my head. I’m fine though, no long-term damage.”

“That’s good to hear….,” Chanyeol sighed on the other end. “I just…I called to make sure you were okay. Just because we’re not together anymore, doesn’t mean I don’t care about your health. I got nervous when I saw you at the hospital,” he explained, making Baekhyun purse his lips together.

“By the way, if you don’t mind me asking, why were you there…?” Baekhyun inquired, suddenly feeling curious.

There was silence for a short moment before Chanyeol answered, “Nothing important. Just on personal business, is all.”

Baekhyun got the hint that the other man didn’t really want to talk. In all honesty, it annoyed him a little. Well, a lot. But he wasn’t about to be a about it and demand to know. He wasn’t a .

“So…That’s really the only reason I called,” Chanyeol announced, not knowing what else to talk about. “I’m just…I’m going to hang up now.”

“Wait!” Baekhyun cut in quickly, not wanting the call to end just yet. He wanted to listen to Chanyeol’s voice a bit longer. “Um…If it’s not too much to ask, er…Can we maybe, meet up for lunch sometime? I’m not going to lie…I miss you, Chanyeol,” he confessed, hoping Chanyeol couldn’t hear the pounding of his heart through the phone.

Only hearing silence on the other line, Baekhyun continued on, “We used to be good friends…I just want to catch a bit is all….without any hard feelings.” Though, that would be difficult since Baekhyun was still nursing his heartache, but Chanyeol didn’t have to know that.

Baekhyun briefly wonders why he does this to himself.

Still, there was silence and Baekhyun felt like shooting himself.

“…I guess, one meeting wouldn’t hurt….,” Chanyeol gave in. Baekhyun decided it was best to ignore the heavy sigh that followed the statement. “But only when you’re feeling well,” Chanyeol quickly added, “You probably have a concussion from your fall…It’s best to rest for a few days first…”

“Yeah…sure, absolutely.”

“So…save my number and text me when you’re feeling better…”

“Yeah….”

“…I’m hanging up now…”

“Okay…er, goodnight, then.”

“Yeah…’Night.”

The call ended and the dial tone rang. Baekhyun set down the phone and leaned back in his chair, briefly reminding himself what the purpose of breathing was.

He had just had a conversation with Chanyeol. A normal conversation.

It felt great, he concluded, to hear Chanyeol’s voice again. The man was concerned about him and it was a great feeling. Baekhyun was getting his hopes up again, he knew it, but didn’t seem to care. He had just had a normal conversation with Chanyeol.

Baekhyun smiled as he closed his eyes, holding onto the memory of just minutes before.

Hopefully, this wouldn’t end in another heartbreak.

 

 

 

It hadn’t been a week, only two days, when Baekhyun broke and decided he needed to get out of the house, mainly because he remembered his bag was still at work and he needed his wallet. He hoped none of his sneaky coworkers took anything from it.

Baekhyun’s head was still sore from where he hit it, but that was to be expected. His dizzy spells as ceased and he no longer had a headache. He at least felt fine enough to go retrieve his things, but he knew Junmyeon still wouldn’t allow him to work yet.

He arrived at the company building and made his way to his floor, saying hello to the people he passed. His coworkers that noticed his presence asked how he was feeling and when he was returning to work; Baekhyun responded with the appropriate answers. He made his way to his desk, grabbing his bag and his jacket he had left behind before turning around to see a cheerful Yixing.

“Are you feeling better? You know, if you wanted your things, you could have called me. I would have brought them to you,” Yixing said, looking over Baekhyun to see if he was unscathed, which he wasn’t.

Baekhyun smiled, patting Yixing’s shoulder. “I wanted to get outside anyway, so it’s fine. I’ll be back next week, so don’t worry about me. Um, is Junmyeon in his office?” he asked, glancing at his boss’s office door.

Yixing shook his head, “No, he’s in a meeting right now. He probably won’t be back for another couple of hours.”

“Okay, well, can you let him know I stopped by?”

“Yeah, no problem. Ha, I should get back to work now. Bye!”

Baekhyun sighed as he left. He wanted to talk to Junmyeon about letting him come back to work sooner than anticipated. He didn’t like being cooped up in his apartment, he never did like doing nothing.

Baekhyun groaned to himself as he began walking down the street. He really was weak, and that wasn’t physically.

He walked into the café where Chanyeol worked and frowned when he didn’t see the tall man at the counter. Since he was already there, though, Baekhyun walked up to the cashier and asked for a chicken club to-go.

“You sure you don’t want to eat it here?” the cashier asked, punching in his order while glancing at Baekhyun flirtatiously.

Baekhyun smiled and shook his head.

“Just one moment then,” the man said before walking off to assemble Baekhyun’s food.

Just then, Chanyeol walked out from the back carrying a bucket of clean silverware and paused when his sight landed on Baekhyun, who looked like a deer stopped in headlights. Baekhyun, in truth, felt slightly embarrassed now.

“Baekhyun, what are you doing here?” he asked as he set down the silverware and began pairing up the forks and knifes with the spoons.

Baekhyun scratched the back of his neck, “Um, to get food, what else? I got hungry.”

“Oh. Um, how are you feeling now?

“Better. I’m still now allowed back at work though.”

“That’s probably for the better,” Chanyeol agreed, trying to ignore the rising temperature in the room. Or maybe it was just himself, he wasn’t sure. “Are you staying?”

“No, he’s taking it to go,” the other worker who was making Baekhyun’s food cut in, wrapping the sandwich in foil before placing it in a bag. “It’s a pity, I was hoping to watch the cutie eat while I worked.”

Chanyeol rolled his eyes at his coworker. “Jongdae, don’t flirt with him.”

The worker known at Jongdae scoffed, “Why? Oh I see, you just want him to yourself! You even know each other’s names!”

Baekhyun was amused when he detected the jealous tone that laced Jongdae’s accusation, but also felt a panic when he fully understood what the other man had said.

Chanyeol wanted him to himself?

Chanyeol dropped the fork he was holding and furiously shook his head, glaring at his idiot coworker. “No, I do not! He’s my ex, I don’t care.”

Baekhyun felt a new crack form in his heart.

Jongdae smirked before sauntering off to hand Baekhyun his order, “Well, since you don’t care, then I’m sure it isn’t a problem that I give my number to your little ex-friend.”

Baekhyun felt his cheeks turn warm when Jongdae handed him a slip of paper that held his number.

“Call me sometime,” Jongdae said, winking before returning to his cashier to attend to another customer.

Chanyeol glared at the man before picking up the fallen silverware, deliberately not looking in Baekhyun’s direction. He was too embarrassed and irritated.

Baekhyun sighed and took that moment as his chance to leave, sparing a last glance at Chanyeol before exiting the café with his food. That Jongdae character was an interesting one. He felt flattered that at least someone took an interest in him.

Baekhyun decided he’d call Chanyeol later, but for now he settled for sheepishly smiling down at Jongdae’s number. 

 


 

A/N: Hey guys! Look! An on-time update! :D 

And look, Chen was introduced. ^^
7047203.gif

Let me know what you think! Please comment and subscribe! 

And if you aren't reading this story, then you need to check this out: You can't Deny the Facts by (my wonderful cousin) SHINeegirluno1

Seriously, it's amazing xD

(but yeah, please comment and subscribe and maybe upvote? :))