Chapter 25

Once Was & Will Become

Special chapter! The majority of this is Chanyeol's point of view, very lazily done. I apologize. But it's nearly 4,000 words so please accept the length. I tried my best. :) 

 


 

Chanyeol had always been the one to find the good in everything. Even things weren’t going as planned, he was never quick to call it a “bad day”. Every day may not be a good day, but one can always find good things in every day.

Like today, Chanyeol got twenty percent off the milk he bought at the store. We walked by an elementary school and happily watched the bright smiles on the kids’ faces as they ran around the school yard. He had received a good morning kiss from his boyfriend when he woke up that morning and have been exchanging texts with him all day. It wasn’t raining that day.

Everything was seemingly going great up until he finished his last class of the day and ran into someone he hadn’t seen in over a month. In fact, he hadn’t wanted to see them ever again.  

“Chanyeol-ah…,” she said, slowly walking up to him with a down casted look. “How…How are you?”

Chanyeol felt awkward to say that least, but considering that night they had shared together, of course he would be. He didn’t think he’d see her ever again after that.

It was Yuri, the girl he had slept with at that blasted party while they were drunk. They weren’t supposed to see each other again, they had both agreed to this. Why was she here? He didn’t want a reminder of what he had done.

“Oh…I’m well. And you?” he asked out of politeness as he checked the time on his watch.

“I’ve been better. Um…Actually, I need to talk to you real quick…It won’t take long, I promise,” Yuri said, and by the way she was unknowingly picking at her nails, Chanyeol could tell she was stressed. She obviously needed someone.

Chanyeol was a nice guy, of course.

They walked in silence as they wandered over to a coffee shop with cheap prices. Chanyeol ordered them both drinks while Yuri found them a table in the corner.

“So,” Chanyeol began, “What’s up? I thought we weren’t going to see each other again.”

Yuri didn’t look up at him, only keeping her head down as she played with the lid of her cup. “Um…,” she hummed, “Just…Aish, I don’t even know how to say this…”

Chanyeol paused. “You don’t have an STD, do you?” he asked and was answered with a glare.

“No, stupid,” Yuri huffed, crossing her arms. “Look, this is kind of important…”

Chanyeol sighed rather impatiently, “If it’s important then you should tell me.”

And without warning, Yuri was crying. Just like that. Chanyeol didn’t know what to do and stared at her dumbly. How does one comfort a girl? Well, Chanyeol only ever comforted Baekhyun, so he was at a loss. Awkwardly, he reached a comforting hand to cover hers but causing her to only cry harder.

“Yuri, what’s wrong?”

“I-I’m r-really so-sorry,” she sobbed, fat tears rolling down her face. Overwhelmed, Chanyeol ran a hand through his hair.

Goddamn, he wasn’t qualified for this.

“Why are you sorry?”

Yuri mumbled something into her hands.

“What was that?”

Yuri sniffled before taking a shaky breath.

“I’m…I’m pregnant, Chanyeol. It’s your baby, okay?”

Chanyeol couldn’t breathe. This wasn’t real. No way, she had to be joking.

“You’re lying to me,” he growled, standing up from his chair. “This isn’t funny!” he nearly yelled, too stunned to speak normally.

Yuri insistently shook her head, “I swear to God I’m not lying to you!”

“What we did was a mistake and we were drunk. You’re not pregnant and have no reason for entering my life, okay? You understand? I have a boyfriend who I want to marry. I don’t need you around.”

Chanyeol sighed, trying to calm himself down. “I don’t know who you think you are, but this isn’t funny okay? Please leave me alone,” he said, this time without the tremble in his voice and quickly left the building as fast as he could.

What was she playing at? There was no way she could be pregnant, there was no way he was going to be a father. This had to be some stupid joke. God, he shouldn’t have gone anywhere with her.

He got on the bus and hoped the whole meeting would be forgotten, but that clearly wasn’t happening. A pregnant lady had gotten on the bus and Chanyeol immediately got off and started walking. He passed a woman pushing a stroller and a family having a picnic.

Why the hell did Yuri tell him this?

He wasn’t going to be a parent. They slept together once. This wasn’t happening, this wasn’t real.

This just wasn't happening.

Before, Chanyeol had no ill thoughts of Yuri. They made an agreement to forget everything and never speak to each other ever again. But surely she had lied to him and told him something atrocious. Now he wanted to yell at her and scream and just never see her again.

But the way she had been crying...His thoughts drifted back to the coffee shop where she had been a sniffing, sobbing mess before she had even told him the news. Something like that was tough to fake, wasn't it?

She must have been a good liar.

Chanyeol, for the past month, had been fine pretending nothing had happened. He went to school, he dated Baekhyun, loved Baekhyun. For three days after the party, he couldn't even look at his boyfriend without feeling immense guilt. Maybe he should have told him what happened. That would have been the right thing to do, instead of hiding it.

Except, that would have crushed him, so Chanyeol said nothing.

"Aish," he grumbled underneath his breath angrily.

That night after having wonderful with the love of his life, Chanyeol couldn't sleep a wink without seeing Yuri's crying face and babies.

Chanyeol liked kids. He liked playing with them. He had baby cousin's he played with at family gatherings and he certainly liked playing with toys. Though, he never quite understood why people had children of their own. The parents' were always stressed out and sometimes they smelled. They were always complaining and they get angry. And babies...they cried, they ate, they pooped and they smelled and they were greedy little things.

They need all of these things and maybe at first it's okay, because they need help surviving. If the need changing, just do it like they're a puppet. But when they become toddlers, they can do some things themselves. And then they begin to talk and all that ever comes out of their mouths is, "No! No! No!" or "Mine!" or "Gimme!"

Lord, they're greedy beings. And they're dirty.

Chanyeol didn't want to be a parent. He was happy playing with other people's children.

It was a good thing that wasn't happening then.

A week passed without complications. Chanyeol thought everything would be okay and he could continue living happily with Baekhyun without any worries--the only worry being the fast approaching finals.

Until Yuri showed up once again in front of his school, and thank god Baekhyun wasn't with him, but Chanyeol stormed up to her with a stern look.

"Okay Yuri, you're obviously going through something and you need a friend, am I right? But I can't be there for you, I have my own life to live right now. I have finals to worry about and what to give Baekhyun for our anniversary. I'm sorry you're going through a rough patch, but I can't have you coming here anymore. I can't see you anymore," he said all together, inhaling quickly once his speech was over.

That was that. Maybe she would leave him alone now.

Knowing that he wasn't going to listen either way, she held up a white envelope to him.

"You're clearly not going to listen to what I say, so just look at this, okay? I'm sorry I bothered you," she said before slowly walking away, trying not the let her tears fall.

Chanyeol did feel bad, but what was he to do?

He didn’t open it right away. Was it of much importance? Instead, he slipped it into his bag before making his way into the library. But knowing it was there continued to get him sidetracked.

Focus on Economics…think about the envelope. That sort of thing.

The temptation….

Screw it.

Chanyeol dug the envelope from his bag and ripped it open impatiently, and upon reading the papers inside, he really wished he had thrown the damn envelope back at Yuri before she left.

Blood results. Ultrasound results.

Positive.

.

Chanyeol took a deep breath to try to calm himself as he sat back in his chair, cold sweat starting to accumulate on his back and forehead. Everywhere. This wasn’t real. This couldn’t be real.

But the evidence was there! Stamped with doctor confirmation! Yuri couldn’t be lying now, that wasn’t possible.

“Goddamn it,” Chanyeol practically wheezed. He couldn’t think, couldn’t register anything. The only thought running through his head being, Baekhyun can’t know about this.

He didn’t want to be a father. He didn’t know how to take care of babies! He’d be a terrible father.

Chanyeol looked through the envelope again and found two other papers inside, one actually a picture. He took the note first and read it, knowing it was written by Yuri this time.

You’re young and in school. I know you want nothing to do with me and that’s okay. I don’t expect you to be around for any of this. I just thought you should know. – Yuri

Chanyeol felt terrible now, like a real dickhead. He yelled at her and was mean and goddamn it all, he wasn’t this type of person. He’s not heartless. This was partially his fault after all.

He should take responsibility.

Putting the note down, he took up the picture next and everything just seemed to stop. Time stopped and the earth stopped spinning. And he had a headache.

A sonogram, that’s what it was right?

That thing in the picture, that little blob-like-marshmallow-thing…that was his baby? Not even shaped like a fetus, can’t think, no gender, doesn’t know a thing…that was his baby to-be?

Amazing.

Before he knew it, he was crying. Crying for everything. Crying for this baby, for his boyfriend, for Yuri, for himself, and just because the world and life in general was so hard, so tough. He just cried, letting the tears fall in the middle of the library not even caring about the people casting him concerned, pitiful, confused looks.

He gathered his things and practically ran to the coffee shop where he knew Yuri would be. He burst through the door and didn’t even give her a chance to say anything, only grabbing her in a tight hug as he cried on her shoulder.

He hiccupped, he sobbed and Yuri understandingly held him close, allowing him to let it all out.

After a little while Chanyeol finally calmed down, profusely apologizing for everything: for yelling at her, for blowing her off, for being mean, for getting her shirt wet with tears.

“It’s okay, Chanyeol-ah,” she said, patting his back before sitting down beside him. “I’m really sorry…”

Chanyeol vigorously shook his head. “No,” he gasped, still very upset, “I…I want to be around…for the baby. I mean, it’s half of me, right? I should help raise it.”

Yuri smiled, tears beginning to gather in her own eyes.

“Thank you, Chanyeol.”

 

 

 

What was he doing?

This had to happen, there was no other way. Right?

Chanyeol paced Baekhyun’s bedroom as he tried to figure things out. He had waited a week—another whole week—before finally settling on a decision. In Chanyeol’s mindset, this was for the best. This was the only way. Baekhyun could find out.

And so when Baekhyun came home, Chanyeol really felt like the worst human in existence.

“Hey, you’re here,” Baekhyun announced as he entered his room, surprised to see him there. “I missed you today,” he said, walking up to his boyfriend for a hug, only to be pushed away.

Baekhyun was stunned.

Chanyeol—the man who completely doted on him, loved him—pushed him away.

“Um…Chanyeol, is everything okay?” he asked warily, trying not to show he was hurt by the action.

“We need to talk,” he declared, taking Baekhyun by the shoulders and forcing him to sit on the bed.

“Okay…then talk.”

Chanyeol took a deep breath before just saying it. “I can’t be with you anymore, Baekhyun.”

Baekhyun froze, the ghost of a smile on his face. “Um…Excuse me?”

Chanyeol groaned in frustration. This was going to be difficult.

“I said,” he repeated, “I can’t be with. I’m breaking up with you.”

Baekhyun heard the words loud and crystal clear, but they didn’t make any sense. What the hell was Chanyeol saying? Were they speaking the same language?

“I-I don’t understand,” he said, the wavering of his voice noticeable. “Chanyeol this is a really bad joke. Stop it.”

Chanyeol shook his head forced a scoff, trying his best to appear annoyed no matter how much it hurt him.

“You’re smart Baekhyun, you know what I’m saying. Now just make this easy on the both of us and just accept this, okay? I’m tired of you, I’m moving on.”

The words tasted like poison on his tongue.

Then the tears came, overflowing and streaming down Baekhyun’s grief stricken face. He was confused, he didn’t understand. Why was Chanyeol doing this?

“Why?” he managed to choke out through the tears and the enormous lump in his throat. “Did I do something wrong? Whatever it is I did, I’ll fix it! I’ll be better! Please don’t do this…”

Chanyeol knew this would happen. He knew the first thing Baekhyun would do was blame himself. , he wanted so badly to apologize and hold his boyfriend and tell him everything was going to be fine.

It’s my fault, Baek. I’m so sorry. If only I could make this better.

“No matter what you do, it won’t be enough,” Chanyeol hissed bitterly, the anger laced in his voice that was actually directed at himself.

Baekhyun sobbed and pleaded. This couldn’t be happening. Just yesterday, Chanyeol said he loved him. They were going to love, and get married, and be together until they were old and gray! This wasn’t supposed to happen. What happened to forever?

Knees growing weak, he brokenly sobbed, “Please…” He sunk down to the ground, unable to stand any longer. The disgust on Chanyeol’s face as he stared down at him only making him cry harder.

“I changed my number and I’m moving. Don’t bother me anymore,” Chanyeol told the upset male, before walking out of there as fast as he could. He couldn’t stand seeing Baekhyun upset like this, not when it was his fault. Everything was his fault.

“I’m sorry,” he whispered as he left the house and running down the street.

Inside, Baekhyun cried and cried, the intensity of his aching heart being a whole new level of pain he had never felt before. He was broken—pushed down and stomped on, heart bleeding and his walls crumbled.

Forever? Forever was over.

 

 

 

For months, other than his unborn child and Yuri’s health, the memory of Baekhyun’s broken exterior never left Chanyeol. Each night, there were no good dreams. Each meal tasted like cardboard and each breath was painful.

But even though the painful memory depressed him, he didn’t sit around and do nothing. He dropped out of school and worked to jobs to take care of Yuri and to prepare for the arrival of their child. They were so excited. As soon as they found out they were having a baby girl, they went shopping for a crib and other girly things their daughter was bound to love—even though the majority of it came from thrift shops.

It was expensive to have a child, Chanyeol deducted. Before, he had an idea of how expensive it was, but after actually experiencing it himself, it was overwhelming. Yuri worked as well, but not as much as she was pregnant and about to take maternity leave in the upcoming days. Her parents were understanding of their situation and helped them generously. Everything helped and was a blessing.

It was weird. Whenever he and Yuri went for a walk and shopping, older couples would smile at them and congratulate them. Despite their young age, it was like they were praised and respected for bringing a new life into the world. It made Chanyeol feel good. It just made him more excited.

Pregnancy was tough. He sat patiently and quietly as Yuri dumped her daily complaints and yelled—a short temper that came along with the pregnancy. He knew she never meant any of the harsh things she called him. He pushed through the days he barely got a wink of sleep from the constant working and late-night food runs for unsatisfactory cravings for Yuri. It was a rollercoaster ride, but he didn’t mind. The climbs and drops were something he could adjust to.

Though, what was a little more difficult to adjust to was the increase in Yuri’s drive. She was like a cat in heat at times and of course, Chanyeol being the father of her child, it was logical to go to him for her needs. He was human, too. At first in the early stages, he refused, still trying to get over Baekhyun. But as time went by and Yuri’s constant badgering, he eventually gave in and succumbed to his own ual needs.

It was a distraction, he supposed. It made him feel something other than heartache and distasteful feelings, something he was desperate for.

Now, as a father to Lina and lover to Baekhyun, all the pain and struggles he endured were all worth it. He would do it again if he had that chance. He couldn’t live a life without Lina or Baekhyun—he was blessed to have them in his life.

He wasn’t a man of religion, but after all the he went through and caused, two miracles still managed to find him and he just knew there had to be a higher power somewhere.

At Baekhyun’s announcement of wanting to become a donor for Lina, Chanyeol fell even deeper in love with the ever selfless man. It was truly amazing how someone could be so perfect. Baekhyun loved him and there was still hope for Lina.

Perhaps this was the beginning of a new start for all of them.

 

 

 

Baekhyun was filled with anxiety as he entered the hospital building, following the arrows marked on the signs nailed to the walls. Chanyeol was too busy to come with him, the man spewing endless apologies which Baekhyun waved away in understanding.

Today was the day he would meet with Lina’s physician, something that would hopefully go smoothly.

“Byun Baekhyun,” a nurse called out to the waiting room, waiting a few seconds as Baekhyun stood up to follow. She led him to a small room and instructed him to take a seat before handing him a packet of papers. “Please fill this out the best you can and give this to Dr. Kim when he comes in.”

“Thank you,” he said before she left him alone.

It was a long packet, filled with multiple choice questions and blank lines for further detail. Fill out a list of allergies. Write down medical history. Any previous surgeries? It was long and timely, but he managed to finish it just in time for the doctor who came in.

“Hi, I’m Dr. Kim. You must be Byun Baekhyun,” an elderly man in a white coat announced cheerfully, reaching his arm out to shake Baekhyun’s hand.

“It’s nice to meet you.”

Dr. Kim took the packet of papers and glanced over them briefly. “So you’re here to become a bone marrow donor for Park Lina with the consent of Park Chanyeol, am I correct?”

“Yeah,” Baekhyun confirmed, smiling to himself.

“I’m glad you’re wanting to do this. That little girl is in need of help, but there’s only so much us doctors can do. This is very admirable, what you’re doing.”

“I just want to see her grow up.”

They did a complete physical exam filled with weight check, height check (much to Baekhyun’s dismay, he didn’t need a reminder of his shortness), and a handful of other things including a blood draw. It took a while, a whole two hours Baekhyun was there being poked and prodded. He kind of wished Chanyeol had tried harder to get the day off, but that was incredibly selfish to want considering the situation.

At last, the examination was complete and all questions were answered. Baekhyun had never been so happy in his life. There was a reason he never visited the doctor’s office.

“It’ll be about two days before we can know anything for sure, but I’ll call you immediately when the results come in,” Dr. Kim told him, gathering his papers as he stood up. “Again, I’d like to thank you for volunteering. I really hope this works out for all our sakes.”

“Me too. Um…If it’s no trouble, I’d like to visit Lina. To see how she’s doing,” he requested.

Dr. Kim smiled, the skin around his eyes crinkling as he did so. “Of course. This way,” he instructed as he led Baekhyun down the twist and turns of the hallways and a trip in the elevator. They reached the correct room in the cancer ward, Baekhyun frowning at the photos on the walls of such young children smiling despite their illness.

Baekhyun walked into the room, his frowning melting into a smile as Lina greeted him brightly, a coloring book and crayons in her tiny hands.

“Baekhyun-oppa!” she giggled happily, waving at him excitedly. Baekhyun took a seat in the chait beside her bed and hugged her gently.

“Hi, Lina. How are you today?”

“I’m okay,” she chirped. “I’m coloring again! Did my daddy send you here? Is he coming too?”

Baekhyun shook his head, “Nope,  but he’s coming once he get off work. I just wanted to see how you were doing today.”

“Will you play with me?”

“I would love too.”

Spending the next two hours with her, coloring and playing with dolls was so much fun for both Baekhyun and Lina. Baekhyun had no doubt that Chanyeol also enjoyed every minute of such precious moments like this with his daughter, even letting her play with his hair. Baekhyun loved the small pigtails she decorated his head with.

He desperately hoped he was compatible with her, to donate a part of him to help her live. She was too precious to lose. Everything was just going to have to work out, it just had to.

Please let there be a miracle.

 


 

A/N: Did you guys enjoy this chapter? I hope you did. Please enjoy the upcoming chapters. Truth be told, I think the end of this fic is growing near, I just need to figure out how to draw this to a close. Also, winter break had ended and come Monday, I'm back at school (ick!). So updates with probably be less frequent, I apologize. But unfortunately school is higher up on the priority list than AFF (cries). But 4 updates during this break, that's good! You're welcome. 

Thank you all for reading this story even though it's terribly written, I appreciate it! Please continue to show this story love! 

Please subscribe, comment, and upvote! 

:D