Chapter 22

Once Was & Will Become

Look! It didn't take me a month to update this time! Yay~~~ Enjoy!

 


 

"Um....So...Aish, this is a little embarrassing. Well, no not embarrassing. More like, I feel like I'm going to make a fool of myself," Jongdae had started out rather shakily, the anxiety clearly affecting his speech. "Okay...I'm just going to come out and say it."

"That's a good idea," Baekhyun seconded, feeling a little anxious as well. He knew this was coming, Chanyeol had told him so.

Jongdae took a deep breath before taking the plunge, "Okay....Baekhyun, I don't know if you've noticed, but I really like you. You're really cute and nice and just interesting to be around. And...yeah, that's that..."

Baekhyun smiled wryly in a mixture of shyness and guilt.

"I'm flattered...," he mumbled out awkwardly, tugging at the hem of his own sleeve.

Luckily for him, it seemed that Jongdae had caught on.

"You're not interested?" he guessed, or more like assumed. Baekhyun smiled sheepishly and nodded, hoping that his guilt showed through his action.

This was rather awkward for him. He had never been the one to accept a confession since his only relationship had ever been with was Chanyeol, which now he was having so many feelings about that whole situation. And the only other person he had ever turned down was Junmyeon, which he also still felt a little guilty about.

He concluded that this whole turning-someone-down-thing was a horrible feeling and he felt regretful.

"I'm sorry, Jongdae...I mean, you're really cool and all, but I think we should just remain friends."

Jongdae nodded in understanding, feeling like a fool.

"Yeah...I guess..."

"I'm really sorry..."

Jongdae then, after a sigh, smiled broadly at Baekhyun, determined not to show the entirety of his disappointment. "It's fine, just forget I said anything. But please don't let this affect anything between us, okay?" he said with a light heart. "You're our most frequent customer anyway, so please continue to give us your money."

Baekhyun laughed, "Oh dear, I think my wallet is crying now."

Jongdae sported a cheerful expression as he bid Baekhyun a good day as he needed to return to work, and continued to go along with the day like nothing happened, occasionally playing with Lina and joking with Chanyeol.

It wasn’t until that night when he was the last person left in the café for closing time. He cleaned the tables and counters somberly and hummed low tunes to himself.

Normally at this time he would feel a sense of loneliness from the emptiness of the normally bright workplace, but now all he felt was a different type of loneliness. One which where he silently let tears fall, knowing there was no one there to see them.

He really did like Baekhyun. Who wouldn’t? He was adorable and handsome at the same time, he made great conversation, and even though he hadn’t known the man for very long he knew he was just a great person filled with compassion and able to give such a love.

Disappointment was eating Jongdae up. It wasn’t like he thought this wasn’t a possibility—in fact, he had even expected a rejection from the very beginning. Baekhyun was just too far from his grasp.

He also never failed to see the sense of longing in Chanyeol’s eyes whenever he stared at Baekhyun. Today seeing them eat together, was almost unbearable. He knew Chanyeol had feelings for Baekhyun, it was painfully obvious. He didn’t like it one bit.

But Chanyeol had gone through so much, Jongdae knew. What with working all the time and caring for Lina, didn’t hid good friend deserve someone to make him happy?

Jongdae sometimes wondered if he was too nice. Should he be selfish and fight for Baekhyun? He wouldn’t be the one to do such a thing. Good things come to those who wait, right?

He finished wiping the already clean table and sat in a chair, staring blankly at a spot on the floor.

Jongdae would wait just a little longer. He sighed.

“Chanyeol, you’re so ing lucky.”

 

 

 

“I love you, too.”

Those words, so simple yet so powerful and full of meaning.

Baekhyun had gone on with his day plagued by those four words that made his stomach flip. He hadn’t heard those words in years and hearing them once again, he wasn’t quite sure how to handle it. On his way back to work he was positive he gained odd stares as he practically skipped his away along.

And seemingly he was radiating some butterfly-rainbow mixture off him as his coworkers kept taking double takes at him—was he too happy? It was probably the smile.

Yixing hadn’t questioned him, instead deciding to take it all in and enjoy this carefree happy Baekhyun. Junmyeon hadn’t cornered him either, courtesy of Yixing of course.

Baekhyun was in the clouds, it was wonderful. He hadn’t felt this good in a long time.

So when he got a text after work from Chanyeol asking where he worked, he really did feel like a school girl all over again.

So when the clock his six-thirty, Baekhyun popped into Junmyeon’s office asking if he could leave he really hoped the other wouldn’t question him on it. He knew Chanyeol still wasn’t on Junmyeon’s good list, for good reason he supposed.

“You never leave early, so I guess it’s okay,” Junmyeon reasoned, giving the clear. “But as repayment, make me cookies and bring them in tomorrow. The lemon ones.”

Baekhyun laughed before agreeing to the request.

“The lemon ones are the bomb, I know,” he agreed rather arrogantly.

Junmyeon laughed with him before throwing a paper clip at him, telling him to get out of there.

Once Baekhyun reached the outside of the building, he was greeted with a nice surprise—thrown back to the good old days back in college.

There Chanyeol stood with a small bouquet of flowers in his hands, smiling shyly at the shorter male as he stared in awe.

“H-Hi,” Baekhyun said weakly, still shocked to see him there. In clean, nice clothes and flowers no less.

Chanyeol ran a hand through his hair out of nervousness before taking a couple steps forward, holding the flowers out. “Nice place,” he replied.

Baekhyun took the flowers, not knowing what to say.

“What are you doing here?”

“I…I wanted to see you,” Chanyeol confessed. “I already took Lina back to the hospital and…I wanted to see you again. And maybe explain myself further about what I said earlier.”

Baekhyun chuckled, feeling touched.

“If you meant it, then I don’t need an explanation.”

Chanyeol sighed, relieved. He held his hand out as in invitation for the other, “May I walk you home?”

Baekhyun beamed, clearly pleased with the kindness, and nodded before tugging Chanyeol along.

They passed many food venders busy with high school students and people returning from work. The sounds of traffic mixed with the lights and laughter, Baekhyun couldn’t help but reminisce.

“You know, this kind of reminds me of our first date,” Baekhyun thought aloud, butterflies fluttering in his stomach when he heard Chanyeol chuckle at the familiar memory. “It was after school and you took me to the arcade because we couldn’t decide what he wanted to do. I beat you at are hockey but you killed me with all the shooting games.”

“You complained the whole time that I should let you win since you were my boyfriend,” Chanyeol added.

“Then after we were full from eating junk food, you bought me flowers from that grandma. The only romantic gesture the whole night.”

“No!” Chanyeol protested. “I kissed you on the doorstep because I remembered you telling me about that fantasy of yours.”

“Yeah, I guess there was that too.”

“Then your mom came out right after that and shooed me away, threatening me with the rolling pin for stealing her baby’s innocence.”

“You nearly wet your pants.”

“Your mom is crazy.”

 The two laughed together at the memory, silly smiles gracing their lips.

The two reached Baekhyun’s apartment, standing silently on the doorstep. Neither moving, both wanting to stay by each other’s side just a little longer.

Chanyeol, not releasing Baekhyun’s small hand, whispered, “May I kiss you, like I did on our first date?”

Baekhyun nodded, not trusting his voice and raised his chin, immediately being captured by Chanyeol’s soft lips.

Baekhyun melted into the kiss, throwing his arms around Chanyeol’s neck to steady himself as Chanyeol placed his large hands on Baekhyun’s prominent hip bone. Their lips meshed together, becoming damped as their lips carefully danced together, swirling around one another to enjoy the taste they both had been deprived of for so long. Years of longing caught up with them as they separated for haggard breaths.

The magic of the moment was impossible to describe.

Baekhyun, still struggling to catch his breath, looked up at his love with smoldering eyes and greeted with the same, whispered to him.

“Do you…want to come in?”

 


 

A/N: Please subscribe, comment, and upvote~~ :D