Chapter 28

Once Was & Will Become

The week flew by so quickly for both Baekhyun and Chanyeol in a mixture of excitement and stress from both work and the upcoming procedure. In that short amount of time, each worked hard and Baekhyun organized a week off for recovery, which Junmyeon insisted actually be two weeks but Baekhyun didn’t want to take too much time off. Also, only a day after being cleared for the procedure, Chanyeol invited Baekhyun to have lunch with him and Yuri, Lina’s mother.

Baekhyun didn’t know whether the meeting would be awkward or not, but surprisingly all was well. Yuri was extremely nice and wouldn’t stop thanking him for being a donor to her daughter, which made Baekhyun feel very shy and a little embarrassed from the overly good attitude towards him. The attention made him feel too important. But nevertheless, they exchanged phone numbers and Yuri even congratulated both him and Chanyeol on their relationship, after a very long apology.

It all felt unreal with so much goodness. Was life supposed to be like this? Throw a ton of giant, rough waves and storms at you before clearing the sky for the sun to appear to make everything better? All those years of heartbreak, questioning and waiting—it was all worth it to Baekhyun. He would take it all again if things would be this good. He got the love of his life back and now, was welcomed with open arms into a family.

“So, the procedure is tomorrow. Are you nervous?” Junmyeon asked Baekhyun, who had come into work to finish as much as he could before Chanyeol picked him up so they could go to the hospital. Junmyeon had actually thoroughly argued he just skip the day and spend time with Chanyeol, but Baekhyun just wouldn’t have it.

Baekhyun shrugged. “A little,” he told Junmyeon truthfully. “It’s a simple procedure, but I’m what if it doesn’t work?”

Junmyeon frowned, “Don’t think like that. It’ll be fine.”

“I hope so,” Baekhyun sighed.

Junmyeon smiled before sharing a look with Yixing, who was sitting with them as they worked. Yixing gave the slightest nod and Junmyeon took a deep breath.

“Say, I have something to say that just might lift your spirits,” he told Baekhyun who was busy highlighting a sales’ report.

“Oh?”

“Yeah. It’s big news. You might freak out. Should I tie you to the chair?”

Baekhyun rolled his eyes at Junmyeon’s lame joke. “Just tell me, I’m dying to know.”

Junmyeon laughed before waving him and Yixing along. “Let’s take this to my office,” he ordered before leading the way behind the heavy oak door. Baekhyun tried not to trip as Yixing practically pushed him along in a hurry.

Yixing closed the door behind them as Baekhyun looked at them oddly.

“You’re both acting strange. What’s going on?” he asked curiously, skeptically looking at the two of them.

Junmyeon smiled before slipping his hand into his boyfriend’s, unable to conceal his happiness. “Since you’re a very important person in our lives, we wanted you know that we’re together now.”

Baekhyun was stunned. He looked from Junmyeon to Yixing, who was nodding excitedly, before a wide smile also broke out on his face. “Are you for real?”

“Yeah. For a little while now,” Yixing said sheepishly.

“I had a feeling something was going on between you two,” Baekhyun laughed before pulling his friend’s into a tight hug, swaying back and forth. “I so happy for you guys!”

It was like Christmas had come early, and Baekhyun was probably the happiest man on the planet.

Junmyeon broke the hug, rushing to his desk and pulling out a white bunny doll, which he handed to Baekhyun. “This is actually for Lina from Yixing and I as a recovery gift. Please give it to her?”

Baekhyun giggled at the doll, admiring the pink bow on its head. “She’ll like this a lot,” he said, “Thank you so much.”

“Why don’t you leave early and meet Chanyeol at his café,” Junmyeon told him, wrapping an arm around Yixing’s waist. “Spend some more time together.”

Baekhyun thanked him before giving them a giant hug once again and left, practically skipping with the rabbit doll in his arms.

 

 

Chanyeol was in high spirits again when he arrived at work that morning, there was a lot of be happy about after all.

Chanyeol had been the first one to work that morning in order to compensate for having to leave early later on. Most of the café was ready for customers by the time Jongdae arrived, and glancing at the window, Chanyeol’s interest was perked.

He recognized Minseok, who was standing outside with Jongdae talking. He only really ever got to see the man on nights he went to the club with Jongdae, which wasn’t very often, but at times they spoke frequently.

He didn’t think much of it, thinking Minseok would be having breakfast at the café, but he realized that wasn’t the reason the moment he and Jongdae kissed briefly before Minseok walked on down the street.

Well, that was a surprise.

“When did that happen?” he blurted when Jongdae entered the café alone.

Jongdae glanced at him in confusion. “Hm?”

“You and Minseok.”

Chanyeol was pretty sure this moment was the second in his life he saw Jongdae actually blush.

“Er…about a week ago, sort of. Officially, only two days,” Jongdae confessed.

“Officially? Meaning you’ve been sleeping together all week?”

“…I guess, yeah.”

Chanyeol laughed, earning an eye roll from his friend. He clapped his friend’s shoulder before walking into the kitchen. “I’m happy for you.”

“Wait!” Jongdae called, holding him up. “Is Lina’s surgery tomorrow?”

“Yeah, in the morning,” Chanyeol smiled. “Baekhyun’s staying at the hospital tonight, though.”

“Congrats, man,” Jongdae said, a genuine smile showing on his face. “That’s so exciting.”

“Thanks.”

The conversation dropped after that as the other employees came filing into the café.

“Hey, I know this is really early to ask but…Well, do you think you might marry Baekhyun someday?” Jongdae whispered to him so no one overheard. It wasn’t their business anyway.

Chanyeol choked on his saliva in surprise, harshly coughing to regain control. He looked Jongdae wide-eyed, who just stared back at him expectantly.

“Well? You love him, don’t you?”

Chanyeol nodded, taking a shaky breath. He wasn’t sure about marriage to be honest, even though he and Baekhyun had planned in the past before all this happened. And with him being a father and such, marriage was a really big step. Were either of them ready? And was Lina ready?

“Slow down there, buddy,” Jongdae interrupted, “I can practically see the steam coming from your ears. Of course, there’s no rush to get married, but sooner or later you should at least put a ring on him.”

Chanyeol sighed, understanding what his friend was saying.

And to be honest, Baekhyun deserved to be happily married, but would that work with them? Chanyeol thought back to the past few months upon Baekhyun crashing into his life again, literally. He thought of how much Baekhyun had gone through and how much he himself had gone through.

They deserved happiness, didn’t they?

“Give it a few months,” Chanyeol told him. “I’ll need you to go with me to pick the ring out.”

“Really?” Jongdae gasped, eyes bugging.

Chanyeol smirked and said nothing, ignoring Jongdae’s excited pestering.

There was just so much to look forward to.

 

 

 

“Daddy!” Lina exclaimed excited when Chanyeol and Baekhyun entered her hospital room that afternoon for preparation.

“Baby girl!” Chanyeol cried back, tightly hugging his daughter back with equal enthusiasm.

“Look at the picture I colored!” she said, grabbing her coloring book to show her father the picture she colored. It was a Pororo coloring page, but instead of drawing in blue, she used a wide array of colors.

Baekhyun thought it looked precious though.

Baekhyun watched the two color together, occasionally adding to conversation, and prayed that days like this would last forever. And maybe after tomorrow, that would be possible. 

 


A/N: I apologize again for a...untimely update, but it's here now! And~ announcement time!! There's only one chapter of this story remaining! It has finally reached its end! I want to thank all of you lovely subscribers for sticking with this story. I love you! I'll post the final chapter when I can :) Until then, later!