A Friendship on the Line

Pinky Promise

The five girls were in the living room of their condo.  There wasn't school that day, so they were finally temporarily stress free.  Jessica was filing her fingernails, Yuri and Yoona were playing a video game, Sooyoung was munching on a bowl of cereal, and Seohyun was reading over a book.

"Yoona, I'm still impressed over how you handled the situation.  I'm glad that you didn't avoid the problem.  You addressed it and solved it like a pro," Jessica commented.

Yoona admitted, "I looked confident, but deep down inside, I was scared."

"Guys, do you guys know if that Daesung is a good guy?" Sooyoung suddenly asked.

Yoona looked at Sooyoung who was trying to hide a smile.  Yoona nodded at her question.  She really did think that Daesung was a nice guy.   He was Seunghyun's brother and he was always so funny when the situation was serious.  He could bring a smile to anyone's face with his humor.  Yoona let go of the  controller and sat next to Sooyoung.

"Tell me, unnie! Do you have a crush on him?" Yoona asked.

Sooyoung rolled her eyes as she swallowed a mouthful of the cereal, "No, of course not!  It's more like the other way around!"

"Sure, unnie," Seohyun said sarcastically after looking up from her book.

"Yah, maknae!  You're the one that's being chased by that Seungri guy!  Don't make me embarrass you!" Sooyoung said as Seohyun stuck her tongue out.

Sooyoung continued, "Well, it's just that he's my lab bio partner and we have been getting close the whole school year.  He asked me out on a date, but I haven't replied yet."

"Why did you have to ask us if he was a good guy if you knew him that long?!  I personally think he's a good guy.  He's funny and smart.  His eye smile is cute, too!" Yoona gushed.

Jessica hit her playfully, "Yoong, that's going to be Sooyoung's man.  I suggest you stop fangirling about your future brother-in-law!"

"My future brother-in-law?!" Yoona yelled.

Yoona grabbed a pillow and smacked Jessica's head with it.  Jessica bit her lips and grabbed a pillow nearby Seohyun and hit Yoona's stomach with the pillow.  Jessica then complained that the paint on her nails wasn't dry, so she had to start all over.  She put down the pillow and began to paint her nails again.

"I think I'll give him a chance then," Sooyoung quietly said.

Yoona, Yuri, Jessica, and Seohyun gave her a big grin.  Sooyoung really did need a man.  She didn't date anyone since high school and she had been on the market for a while.  Sooyoung smiled happily.

"Yah, Yoona, why were you so angry when you came back from the mall with Jiyong oppa yesterday?" Sooyoung asked.

Yuri laughed out loud.  Yoona told her the whole story and Yuri found it to be humorous. She found it ironic for Yoona to see her enemy kissing her best friend.  Yoona gave Yuri a dirty look and lowered her eyes.  Sooyoung shushed Yuri, and Yuri obliged.  Seohyun and Jessica became curious and sat closer to Yoona so that they could hear her.

"As you guys know, we publicly humiliated Kim Hyuna.  I was supposed to go to a museum with Seunghyun oppa right after, but he blew me off, so I hung out with Jiyong oppa.  Once we went to the mall, I saw Hyuna and Seunghyun kissing!  He blew me off for her!" Yoona cried angrily.

"No way!" Jessica gasped.

"And to make it worst, Jiyong was pointing and laughing.  He even said that he was surprised that he went back to his old ways!" Yoona claimed, "I didn't know that Seunghyun was like this.  He was probably a player in America!  It's like I don't even know him anymore.  I really hate players, and it's ironic that one of my best friends is a MVP."

Seohyun tried to brighten up the mood, "Maybe there's just a misunderstanding.  Who knows?  Maybe Jiyong oppa was just joking.  Didn't you say that they used to be friends?"

Jessica started to grin.  Maybe Yoona was jealous of Seunghyun and Hyuna.  Why else would she be mad?  Yoona had her fists balled up as she thought about Seunghyun and Hyuna becoming an item.  She was so mad that she ignored Seunghyun's e-mails, texts, and calls. Jessica had a feeling that maybe Yoona was starting to develop feelings for him.  Jessica pushed her gently and laughed.

"Maybe you're mad because you can't stand the idea of Hyuna and Seunghyun together.  Do you like him?" Jessica interrogated.

"No, he's just a friend!" Yoona denied.

Yuri's eyes grew wide as Jessica gave her a signal to .  Yuri nodded and grinned.  She turned off the television and the game console.  Yuri looked up at the ceiling and put on her thinking face.

"You're right.  Maybe Yoona doesn't like him; I think he likes Yoona, though," Yuri smiled.

Yoona shook her head quickly with rejection.

"Hm, is that so?  Maybe he liked you and gave up on you because you only see him as a friend.  What if he moved on and went to Hyuna instead?" Jessica added in.

"Yeah!  Maybe that's what happened.  I mean why else would they be kissing?  Why else would Seunghyun blow off Yoona to hang out with Hyuna?  They would make a good looking couple!" Sooyoung put her hands together.  

Yoona's temper began to run short.  She could not stand the thought of the two of them dating.  It was already enough that she saw them kissing, but to think that they might be dating irritated her.  Her blood was rushing through her veins and her breathing began to sound heavy.  Her four friends burst into laughter to see a disturbed Yoona.

"Yah, shut up!  I'm not jealous.  It's just that I don't want Seunghyun dating a girl like Hyuna," Yoona claimed.

Seohyun smiled, "Yeah, it's either that or Yoona doesn't want him dating anyone that's not her!" 

____________________________

Yoona left the condo and needed some time alone.  Jiyong was busy in a photoshoot, and she really didn't care where Seunghyun was at the moment.  She was that angry at him.  She her iPod and changed the song to Jiyong's Heartbreaker.  She put on her earphones and hummed to the song while drinking a cup of cappuccino and reading the newest issue of Seventeen magazine.  She started to move her head back and forth in the beat of the rhythm.  Heartbreaker was a big hit in America, and Yoona didn't have to question why.  It was so catchy.  Yoona paused the song once she saw Seunghyun enter the cafe.  She put her head down hoping that he wouldn't see her.  She peeked and saw that he was ordering black coffee.  He turned around and Yoona quickly hid her face with her arms with her face towards the table top.  She felt a pat on the shoulder.

"Go away," she muffled.

Seunghyun grinned because she honestly thought he wouldn't be able to spot her.  How can he not spot her?  He didn't need her face to recognize her.  Her body size and fashion sense gave it off.  Seunghyun sat on the empty chair next to her and began to drink the black coffee.  Yoona never understood how he could stand drinking black coffee with no sugar or creamer.  

Yoona still had her head down and he began to hear her groaning softly.  He knew she wanted to leave so that she could avoid the talk that they were going to have.  Yoona finally lifted her head from the table and gave him a glare.

"Why did you avoid my calls?" he questioned calmly.

She gave him a blank stare, "Why did you lock lips with my mortal enemy?"

Seunghyun chuckled, but Yoona didn't crack a smile.  He stopped laughing and concluded that she was pissed off as hell.  Seunghyun nervously swallowed as he started to think of what he was planning to say.  He forgot everything he was going to tell her once she gave him that dirty look.  He was honestly frightened that if he said the wrong thing, she would beat him senseless and ignore him forever.

"Listen to me, okay?" he said.

Yoona shook her head, "No, you listen to me!  I was at that bookstore for half an hour waiting like a dumb !  I felt so stupid waiting for nothing.  I get a text from you saying that something more important came up, and then I see you kissing Hyuna!  Is she more important than me?!"

"No, she's not important to me at all," Seunghyun answered calmly.

Yoona was confused.  How could he be so calm and quiet?  Yoona pulled the roots of her hair gently in frustration at him.  He was never this difficult.  Seunghyun laughed silently to himself and Yoona shot a glare at him.  How can he be laughing when she was so damned pissed off? 

"Stop it, Choi Seunghyun!"  Yoona ordered, "I don't know what you're doing, but you're pissing me off!  You haven't tried to explain once why you kissed that dumb tramp!"

Seunghyun didn't say one word.  He continued to drink his black coffee serenely.  He put down the cup and gave her a smile.  She looked really cute when she was angry.  He snapped out of his thoughts as Yoona pounded her fists on the table.

"Tell me why you two kissed!  You really put our friendship on the line.  We're not even okay right now," Yoona demanded.

Seunghyun shook his head, "I'm sorry, but I can't.  You have to trust me, though.  There is nothing between me and Hyuna.  I promised her that I would never tell her secret."

Yoona sighed, "Yeah, just like your secret that you were a playboy in America."

Seunghyun's eyes looked alarmed and looked directly at Yoona.  He wasn't proud of his past, and he never wanted to think back again.  Yoona smirked as she drank some of her cappuccino.  Yoona looked at him mockingly and grinned while swallowing the warm liquid.  He looked bothered.

"Who told you about that?" he asked quickly.

Yoona shook her head mockingly, "Oh, sorry it's a secret.  You have to trust me, though.  I know that it's true."

Seunghyun rolled his eyes.

"I guess you did play girls as if they were one of your action figures," Yoona added, "I can't believe you hid that from me.  I didn't know you played with girls.  If I have known, I would have never been friends with you."

"Don't even try to make me feel guilty!  That was my past and it's not what I am now.  I learned," Seunghyun mumbled.

"Whatever," Yoona said, "I just can't believe you're keeping something from me.  You already know that I'm going to find out sooner or later."

"Yeah, you probably will, but you won't find out from me," he assured her.

Yoona didn't say a word and finished her cappuccino.  She swallowed it all in one big gulp and crossed her arms.  The cafe was empty and it seemed so lonely.  Yoona stared at the wall.

"Let's just put this behind us," Seunghyun suggested, "Let's go to that museum that you wanted to go to."

"No," Yoona rejected, "I'm going to have dinner with my father and Jiyong."

Yoona got up and left the cafe.  Seunghyun watched her as she went into her car and drove off.  He sighed to himself and threw his head back.  The last thing he wanted was for Yoona to be angry at him.  He knew her good enough to assume that she was irritated, bothered, and angry at him and Hyuna.  She was disappointed that he didn't tell her why they kissed.  Seunghyun put his head down at the table and wished that none of that happened.

______________________________

Flashback...

Seunghyun was in a rush.  He had to meet up with Yoona in the bookstore and he was late.  He had to help Daesung because Daesung asked him for advice about what wardrobe would impress Sooyoung the most.  Seunghyun had to look at Daesung model nine different outfits until finding the right one.  He was racing through the streets of Seoul in hopes of arriving before Yoona left the bookstore. He saw a small figure at the edge of a street bridge.  Seunghyun parked his car at the side and stepped out to check out what was happening.

"Uh, miss what are you doing?" Seunghyun said.

Seunghyun saw the girl turn around.  Hyuna's face showed and he gasped out in surprise.  She was barefooted and she looked like a mess.  Her hair was tangled and she was standing at the edge of the bridge.  Seunghyun's pulse quickened because she was planning of jumping off.  Tears stained her cheeks as she held on to the pole.

"Hyuna, what the hell are you doing?!" Seunghyun yelled.

"What does it look like?  I'm going to jump and die!" Hyuna cried.

Seunghyun got nervous, "Why are you going to kill yourself?!"

"My life is so messed up!  If I kill myself, people will blame Yoona for embarrassing me and causing me this depression.  At least she'll be miserable along with me," Hyuna reasoned.

"No, no you can't do that!  Yoona's not a bad person.  Please, step away from the cliff!" Seunghyun panicked.

Hyuna closed her eyes and raised one foot.  Seunghyun ran up to her and grabbed her before she can jump off.  He held Hyuna back roughly because she started to act violently.  She was screaming frantically as she tried to get out of his grip.  Seunghyun dragged her to his car and put her in the back.  He put the child lock on so she could not escape.  Once he went into the driver's seat, he felt his eardrums throbbing because of her annoying screams.  Seunghyun rolled his eyes.

"Omo, this girl is crazy.  I need to talk some sense into her," Seunghyun murmured silently.

Hyuna stained the backseat with her tears.  She had her face against the window and Seunghyun gave himself a mental note to wash the windows before the day was over.  He drove faster and decided to take her to the mall.  He knew that she would behave in front of other people.  Once he reached the parking lot, he opened the back door and pulled her by her wrist to an empty bookstore in the mall.  She dried her salty tears and covered her face with her hand that Seunghyun wasn't holding.  The bookstore was empty and Seunghyun sat her down on a chair next to the entrance.  He sat across from her.

"Listen, you need to be lectured," Seunghyun announced.

Hyuna was silent and looked down at the floor in shame.  Seunghyun sighed loudly and took out his phone and texted Yoona a message saying that he couldn't come to their hang out today.  He hated to reject her, but he had to.  If Hyuna ended up killing herself, Yoona would be in trouble, too.  Hyuna looked over at the screen and saw Yoona's name.  She crossed her arms.

"There are so many people who care about Yoona.  I don't get it.  She's not even that pretty.  She's the biggest in school and she acts as if she owns the whole damned place," Hyuna scoffed.

Seunghyun put away his phone, "Yeah, she does act like the place is hers, but she can because her family owns it.  Without her family, the academy wouldn't exist, and how can you call her ugly?  I think she's beautiful."

"Whatever, I see you're another one of those guys that are in love with her," Hyuna rolled her eyes, "Now can I go?"

"No!" Seunghyun whispered coarsely, "I need to talk you out of killing yourself!"

"You're not going to stop me!" Hyuna said.

Seunghyun took a deep breath, "Do you really want to kill yourself?  Did you know that if you kill yourself, your whole family will go into depression?  They'll probably kill themselves too."

"Huh?" Hyuna asked.

"Yeah, it's like this:  if you kill yourself, you're also killing your parents.  To come to think that the love they gave you for nineteen years wasn't enough for you to take care of yourself.  They'll probably think that they were bad parents despite the money, time, and love they gave you.  Nineteen years of hardships to make ends meet went to waste," Seunghyun told her.

Hyuna was starting to tear and covered her face with embarrassment.  She wanted to cry, but not in a public place.  She obviously didn't know that Seunghyun was gifted in manipulation.  It was a good thing he only used his skill for good.

"Do you still want to kill yourself and let all your parent's efforts go to waste?" Seunghyun asked.

Hyuna shook her head.  Seunghyun went to her side and patted her back gently.  He had nothing against her, so the least he could do was comfort her.  He shushed her, but he was surprised to see that she had dug her face into his chest.  He felt awkward at the thought of  an acquaintance getting that close to him.  He stood up and distanced himself from her.  She approached him.

"I won't kill myself anymore, but you can't tell anyone that I tried killing myself," she assured him.

"That's good, and I won't," Seunghyun said slowly.

Seunghyun saw Hyuna's eyes drift towards the display window and she locked her eyes back at Seunghyun.  She grabbed the collars of his shirt, tiptoed, and kissed him on his lips.  He broke away from the kiss by shooting his head back up.  

"What in the world are you doing?  That wasn't right for you to do!" Seunghyun tried to be calm.

Hyuna gave a grim smile as her eyes moved towards the display window again.  Seunghyun's eyes followed her eyes and he gasped to see Yoona with Jiyong at the other side of the glass.  His heartbeat quickened.  The situation looked so wrong, and he knew that Yoona was angry that she had just seen her best friend and enemy kiss.  Seunghyun left Hyuna and walked out of the bookstore to catch up with Yoona, who was walking away swiftly.

"Yoona!" Seunghyun hollered.

"Shut the hell up!" Yoona turned around and walked faster.

Seunghyun didn't chase after her because he knew that she was going to be even more irritated.  He saw that Jiyong was about to run after her, but Seunghyun stopped him for a while.  Jiyong looked at him and gazed.  

"When you catch up with Yoona, please make sure she doesn't do anything crazy, and that she gets home safely.  I'm pretty sure she's pissed off right now.  I'll talk to her when she cools down a bit," Seunghyun informed him.

Jiyong nodded and ran after Yoona.  Hyuna walked up to Seunghyun and stood by his side.

"I can't believe you did that to me after what I did for you," Seunghyun spoke and walked out to go home.

_________________________________

Yoona returned from having dinner with her father and Jiyong with a smile.  She decided to be spontaneous and arrive at her father's house with Hyori.  She knew that her father had a crush on her, but hid it.  Yoona truthfully didn't like Hyori at first because she was the first teacher to try to have more authority over her like a regular student-teacher relationship, but it changed when Hyori made a big effort in helping her when she was stuck in a rut.  She smiled because Hyori and her father had a date next week.  Yoona dropped her keys on a table once she entered her condo.  Surprisingly, she only found Sooyoung and Yuri in the condo.  Seohyun was still in school working on a late night project and Jessica was visiting her parents.  Sooyoung and Yuri looked nervous as they jumped around in the living room.  Yoona cocked an eyebrow at curiosity of their actions.  When they saw Yoona, they screamed and acted as if they had just seen Superman after being tortured by a group of villains.  Yoona remained clueless as Sooyoung and Yuri hugged her tightly.

"Help us, Yoong, and we'll owe you our lives forever!" Yuri pleaded.

"We need your guidance," Sooyoung added.

Yoona pulled away from their clingy embrace and continued on with her confused look.  Her eyebrows dug in deeper to display her confusion.

"What has gotten into you two?!" Yoona scratched her head.

"You need to go on a date, please!" Yuri pouted, "Please do it!"

Yoona narrowed her eyes, "Why do I need to go on a date?!"

"It's a triple date.  Daesung and Taeyang asked us to go on a date, but then they told us that they'll have to cancel because Seunghyun looked sad and lonely.  Seungri was at school, so Seunghyun would be alone if Taeyang and Daesung go out with us.  Plus, their mother is out of town.  I guess the two didn't want to leave him alone, so they had to cancel," Yuri explained.

"Wait, Seohyun is in the library.  Did Seungri follow her again?" Yoona laughed.

"Who cares if he did?  It's not like he's going to her or kidnap her!  She'd probably knock him out if he ever tried!" Sooyoung reasoned, "We just need you to go out with Seunghyun so that Daesung and Taeyang can go!"

"Look, I'm not on good terms with Seunghyun right now, so I don't think I could do it," Yoona rejected.

Yuri and Sooyoung frowned and pouted.  They really wanted to go out with Daesung and Taeyang.  Yoona saw the sadness in their eyes and rolled her eyes.  She knew that they were going to hold this against her forever.  She sighed and finally nodded.

"Fine, I'll do it, but you two owe me big time!  I want you two to do my laundry for two weeks, and I get to have a favor from the each of you!" Yoona made a deal.

Yuri and Sooyoung nodded happily, "We love you, Im Yoona!"

 They pullled Yoona into Sooyoung's bedroom so that they could get ready together.  Yoona puffed and sighed because she was going to have to see Seunghyun again.