When He Gives In

Pinky Promise

She held his hand tightly as he slept on the hospital bed.  It was five in the morning and neither of Yoogeun's parents had gotten any sleep.  Yoona was too busy crying and Seunghyun was occupied trying to keep himself from crying.  They both knew that it was their fault that he had an asthma attack.  The doctor told Yoona when Yoogeun was diagnosed with asthma to keep him away from emotional stress, smoke, and irritants because it could lead to an asthma attack.  Their argument caused Yoogeun to have emotional stress.  He became nervous when he saw his mother trying to get her luggage filled with most of her clothes.  He became anxious the moment he saw his mother throw her ring at his father.  The fairytale that he thought existed was false.  

Yoona stayed by her son's side as she waited for him to wake up.  Seunghyun nudged her sleepily.  She looked at him indicating that he had her attention.  

"Just go to sleep," he said, "I'll watch him.  I'll wake you up once he wakes up."

Yoona shook her head, "No, I want to be the first person he sees once he wakes up.  I want to talk to him about everything."

Seunghyun looked at her clutching her stomach.  She looked very hungry and he knew that she was putting her hunger aside.  She didn't want to think about herself.  All she thought about was Yoogeun.  He felt shy to talk at first, but he knew that it had to be done.  He cleared his throat.

"I'm going to get some food for us.  I'll get some drinks on the way, too.  Do you want coffee or tea?" he asked her.

Yoona answered, "Get me some tea...I forgot to mention that I want—"

"You want two teaspoons of honey with it.  Yeah, yeah.  I still remember," he finished for her before he walked out.  

Yoona was surprised that he remembered how she wanted her tea.  Maybe he knew more about her than she thought.  Her focus went back to her son as Seunghyun left.  She held his hand firmly and she couldn't help but look at her engagement ring.  Right after Yoogeun had his asthma attack, Seunghyun had handed her the ring and she put it on right away.  If a separation between the two of them led to a complication to Yoogeun's health, Yoona would stick with Seunghyun.  She didn't care how bad he treated her.  As long as her baby was safe, she was fine.

Yoona stood up to see Yoogeun's eyes flutter.  His beautiful eyes slowly opened and the first person that he was was his mother.  Yoona smiled at him and kissed him over and over again.  He was surprised at his surroundings.  He had the hospital setting surrounding him and he seemed to be confused.  Yoona brushed through his hair with her fingers as he sat up.

"How do you feel?" Yoona asked.

He answered slowly, "I feel okay...where's appa?"

Yoona didn't answer for about a second and he took it in a pessimistic way.  He started to cry quietly because he thought that Yoona had sent him away.  He thought that he wasn't going to be able to see his father again.  He looked around the room and only found Yoona in it.  Yoona hushed him and he tried to listen.  His cries became silent as Yoona calmed him down.

"Your father is getting some breakfast.  He's not going anywhere," Yoona assured him.

"I...I saw you trying to run away from him.  I saw you getting your bag full of clothes.  I saw you and him calling each other names.  I got scared when I saw you throw your ring at him," Yoogeun confessed.

Yoona felt irresponsible as a mother.  She shouldn't have argued with Seunghyun in the first place.  It was such a stupid argument and it wasn't worth it.  Yoona felt teary and tears began to form in her eyes.  She kissed Yoogeun's hand and sniffled.

"I'm sorry.  It's all my fault.  It won't happen again," Yoona promised, "Do you want an explanation to this?  Once I explain what happened, you can ask whatever you want."

Yoogeun nodded as he laid back on his pillow.  He felt guilty for causing his mother to get all teary.  He hated seeing her cry.

"You see...it's normal for couples to fight," Yoona started.

"But if you two love each other, you're not supposed to fight!" Yoogeun interjected, "You only fight when you hate someone.  Do you hate appa?"

Yoona listened to his words.  He still didn't know that couples fought even if they were madly in love with each other.  It was only normal.  She knew that he was still young and she honestly didn't want to break it to him.  She wanted him to learn about the truth to everything gradually over the years.  She needed to hide some things from him.  She couldn't tell him about the situation she was in because he was simply too young.  She nervously swallowed.

"I don't hate him.  I love him.  I'm in love with him," Yoona felt herself choking.

For his sake, she said that.  Even if Seunghyun treated her like crap, she still said it because at least, she'll be assured that Yoogeun was happy.  She managed to smile at her son as he finally gave her a luminous grin.

"Your father and I just fought over a small thing.  You don't know it yet, but even married couples fight.  Your grandma and grandpa fought over which college your Auntie Luna wanted to go to.  Just know that it's normal.  As long as we don't fight too much, then you shouldn't worry about a thing," Yoona explained.

Yoogeun nodded with understanding.  

"Can I ask my questions now?" he asked.

Yoona gave her approval.

"Are you and appa still getting married?" he asked, "Are you sure you love him?"

Yoona laughed, "Of course we're still getting married.  Your appa just got me really mad and I was just letting my anger take over me.  And yes, I do love him.  If I didn't love him, then you wouldn't be born into this world, right?"

"Yeah, I guess.  I just wanted to say...that if you aren't happy, you have to tell me.  I really want you to be happy, too," he admitted.

Yoona thought about it.  She was happy if he was happy.  If Seunghyun was the person that made Yoogeun happy, then Seunghyun made her happy, too.  She ruffled her son's hair and gave him a big hug.

"Of course I'm happy!" she tried to laugh, "You and your father are my family.  We're finally together, and I'm happy because of that."

Yoogeun saw her at the verge of tears.  He knew that she was holding back the unneeded tears.  He sat up and gave his mother a hug.  Yoona sniffed in through her nostrils with hopes that the tears will come to a sudden halt.  She successfully held back the tears.  She gave him a smile that assured him that she was just fine.

The door opened and Seunghyun walked in with tea, coffee, and a box of donuts.  He smiled to see that Yoogeun was finally awake.  He set the box of donuts down on a table and handed Yoona her tea.  He sat on Yoogeun's side and gave his son a warm hug.  He kissed the top of his head.

"Your umma and I are really sorry for fighting in front of you. We'll never do it again," he promised.


Yoogeun was discharged from the hospital in the morning of his awakening.  To everyone's surprise, he felt completely normal.  The doctor told Yoona and Seunghyun that it was perfectly normal for him to act as if nothing happened.  He was still a child and he just wanted to get back to having fun.  Unfortunately for him, Yoona didn't allow him to play because she was going to enroll him to preschool.  Yoona looked at her watch and realized that it was already ten in the morning.  She needed to get to the school in fifteen minutes.  She was dressing Yoogeun, who was questioning why he had to go to school as a three year old.

"Umma, I don't want to go to school.  I want to stay at home with you," he pouted.

Yoona chuckled, "You're just saying that so you won't have to go to school.  If you go to school at an early age, you'll be ahead of the other kids when you start kindergarten."

"Fine then," Yoogeun finally gave in.

Yoona finally dressed Yoogeun and held his hand.  They were about to leave the mansion until Seunghyun caught up with them.  He studied them as he saw Yoona leading their son out of the house.  He sensed Yoona trying to get out of his sight as soon as possible.  Things were still awkward between the both of them.  Seunghyun stopped sipping on the mug of black coffee and set it down on the coffee table.  Before they could get through the door, Seunghyun grabbed Yoona's wrist gently.  He tried to sound soft and serene, but he knew that it was impossible with his husky voice.

"Where are you guys going?" he questioned.

Yoona answered, "I'm going to enroll him into school.  I told you when we were in the hospital, but I don't think you listened because you were too tired and sleepy."

"Oh," Seunghyun muttered, "Well, I'll go with you guys.  I want to see the school my son is going to attend."

Something didn't seem right about him.  It was a Thursday, and he normally had work on Thursdays.  He never skipped work because it was important to him.  Yoona reluctantly nodded as Seunghyun took the car keys.

When they arrived at the school, Yoogeun gasped in excitement.  He was the only child and he didn't have many friends back in Jeju Island because of the fact that he didn't have a father figure in the past.  He was practically pulling both of his parents by their hands into the school.  Yoona laughed as Seunghyun gave a deep chuckle.  Once they entered the school, the two parents were shocked to see that there were no children running around.  They were in recess playing in the playground.  Yoona knocked on the door and a petite woman answered the door.  She had milky white skin and she looked happy to see Yoogeun.  She bowed to the family and shook Yoona and Seunghyun's hands.  Her long hair was straight and her voice was very gentle and feminine.  She had a sweet smile and when she kneeled down towards Yoogeun, Yoogeun blushed a deep crimson shade.  Seunghyun sensed Yoogeun's crush towards the teacher.

"Hi, it's nice to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Choi.  My name is Lee Jieun," she greeted.

"Actually, I'm not Mrs. Choi.  We're still engaged," Yoona informed her as Jieun nodded with understanding.

"If you don't mind, I'd like to talk to Yoogeun by himself.  We're going to evaluate whether he belongs in this class or not.  We want him to be compatible with the students in the class so that he can make friends easier," Jieun told them.

"Oh, okay," Yoona agreed, "Seunghyun and I...we'll just wait outside...together."

"Yes, please close the door on your way out," Jieun smiled at them.

Yoona found herself in an awkward situation.  She was pacing herself in the hallway as Seunghyun sat on a chair by himself.  He was staring at the ceiling as if he was in deep thought about something.  Yoona looked at the pictures on the walls and saw all of Jieun's achievements.  She graduated with top honors and a major in the Japanese language.  Yoona saw a garden outside the window.  

"Uh, Seunghyun?  I'm going to go to the garden," Yoona informed him as she pointed at the garden through the window.

He nodded and she left quickly.  She went into the garden and presumed that it was Jieun's garden.  There were many flowers ranging from white daisies to red roses.  Yoona went up to the best rosebush and moved the flowers to the side.  She was careful so that she wouldn't prick herself.  She read a little poem that was engraved on a stone.

I told you I don't love you.

But I know I still do.

I hate to admit it

But I'm not over you.

Yoona read the small poem and a small smile formed on her thin lips.  She thought the poem had a lot of meaning even if it was fairly short.  Yoona saw a cute little girl approach her.  She came from the playground.  She was panting from running over to the small little garden.  She tiptoed so that she could see past the white picket fence that was separating her from Yoona.

"Miss you can't go in there!  Teacher Lee gets really mad when we go in there!" she whispered.

The little girl had short black hair.  Her cheeks were chubby and her voice was so high and squeaky.  

"Why can't I go in here?  It's just a garden," Yoona said.

The little girl tried to remain quiet, "Everyone says that the garden is for her ex boyfriend.  She broke up with him!"

Without another word, the little girl ran away and made her way towards a red swing set.  Yoona was left clueless.  Without warning, she jumped as she felt a pair of hands hug her body tightly from behind.  She quickly assumed that it was Jieun who was upset that she had entered her sacred garden.  Yoona felt guilty for invading her privacy.  It wasn't in her character to do so.  She was just mesmerized by the attractive colors.  Then reality struck her.   Jieun was too small to hug her this tightly.  She smelled the familiar cologne and turned around.

"Seunghyun, what are you doing?!" she yelled.

Seunghyun didn't let go for one single second.  He just hugged her and he didn't let go of her.  Yoona tried to push him away, but he didn't move a single inch.

"Yoona ah, I'm sorry," he whispered into her ear. 

Those words took her in shock.  She didn't move a single muscle as those words paralyzed her body.  What was wrong with him?  He just had a major mood swing.  He pulled away from the embrace and cupped her cheeks with her hands.  

"Since we've been in the hospital, I've been trying to tell you that I want to give this relationship another try, but I was too scared.  I was thinking in that hallway for some time, and I thought that I should tell you before things get out of hand.  I just want to confess to you everything," he said in a low tone.

Yoona was stunned.  What was his point to this?  Yoona knew that he was acting weird since Yoogeun had an asthma attack, but it was just so sudden that he was admitting how he wanted a second chance.

"I was really stubborn, okay?  I was just mad that you had gotten over me so quickly.  I was mad that you had no problem with the fact that I was getting married to Hyuna.  I was mad that you were planning on hiding Yoogeun from me as long as you can.  I was just mad that you were okay without me," Seunghyun panted, "I wanted you to apologize to me first.  I told myself that when you apologized to me, I'd take you back with open arms, but you didn't apologize to me.  I know you never will, so I guess I'll the one to give up my pride.  I apologize for treating you badly, Yoona.  I tried different tactics to make you apologize.  I tried being mean to you, I tried taking Yoogeun away, and I even tried seducing you.  I should've known that none of them were bound to work.  You're not an ordinary woman."

Yoona's jaw clenched as her fist balled up.  With her nails softly digging into the palm of her hand, she took her fist and raised it up in the air.  With one movement, she punched Seunghyun in the face.  Her punch wasn't enough to make him fall, but it was strong enough to make him stumble.  She grunted at the pain that was inflicted on her knuckles.  Seunghyun tasted blood from the corner of his lip.  He wiped it off carelessly as he went to Yoona's aide to check up on her hurt hand.

He grabbed her hand, but she shrugged him away.  She took her other hand and began pounding her fist on his chest.  All of her anger was finally showing.

"I hate you, Choi Seunghyun!" Yoona exclaimed, "You made me go through hell these past few weeks!  You say that you wanted me to apologize for my wrong doings.  I didn't do anything wrong to you!  It's you!  You're the one that tried taking away my son from me.  You're the one that treated me as if I was a dog!  You're the one that practically me in your own bed!"

Seunghyun interrupted, "It's not considered if you liked it."

"Do you really want to die?!" she threatened.

He cleared his throat, "Proceed."

"You said that it was wrong of me for hiding Yoogeun from you.  Truth was that I didn't want him to know that you were his father because I was scared that you would reject him," Yoona ranted.

"I would never reject my son!" Seunghyun interjected.

"If you interrupt me again, I swear you'll be digging your own grave," Yoona warned menacingly.

Seunghyun shut his mouth as he tried his best to keep quiet.  Nothing was worst than being the object to a woman's wrath.

"I tried telling you that I was pregnant.  I tried telling you that I was pregnant when you were about to leave, but you didn't even want to talk to me.  You were so cruel.  You took away my ity and then you didn't talk to me after that.  You don't know how used I felt.  I felt like a stupid woman.  I feel stupid for even believing in your promises.  You promised to never leave me, but you did.  You lied to me," Yoona held her tears.

Seunghyun remembered their first night together.  Everything she said was false.  He didn't use her.  He loved her and that was why they had that night together.

Flashback...

(What happens after Chapter 9)  ual content will be very limited and vague.

I couldn't express how much I loved her.  Here she was, in my bed and I just couldn't express to her how much she meant to me.  We had just gotten out of the rain and left the lake.  I really don't know how we ended up in this situation.  All I remember was that I kissed her in car and we ended up in my bed.  My mother and brothers were gone.  The staff had their day off.  I was alone with her.

I knew that she was afraid.  She had never been with another man, and it was going to be her first time.  She breathing was very short as I kissed her down her neck softly.  I could feel her nails trailing down my back as she brought her lips near my ear.

"I love you, Choi Seunghyun," she whimpered.

I suddenly felt guilty.  I wanted to love her forever, but I knew that I had to leave for China soon.  Going to China was like leaving her after giving her high hopes.  Guilt washed over my body as I kissed her more.  She took off her wet clothes and I already took off mine.  I just couldn't explain how beautiful she was.  She grew embarrassed as she covered part of her body with a blanket.  

"I love you," I told her.

I began to question myself.  Was I even worthy enough to take away her ity and innocence?

"Are you sure that you want to do this?  It's not too late, yet," I assured her.

She shook her head and gave a faint smile, "I love you, and I want this."

End of Flashback...

He never thought of it that way.  He felt irresponsible for leaving her like that.  He honestly thought that she was the type that would move on quickly because of her independent outlook on life.  He watched her and realized how hurt she looked about everything.

"You really don't know how much it hurt when I moved to Jeju Island.  I had the reputation of being a when I first went there.  I was labeled a because I was pregnant by a man that wasn't even there throughout the pregnancy," Yoona confessed.

"I'm sorry..."

Yoona grew angry, "No, stop!  Stop interrupting me.  I don't need pity."

"You say that you're hurt that I allowed you to get married to Hyuna, but you never look at it at another's person perspective.  If I was the one that had amnesia and I was the one living the perfect life being engaged to another man, would you really ruin that?  I don't think you would.  If you really loved someone, you'd let them live a better life even if you're not in the picture.  I thought it was better for your career that you didn't find out about your illegitimate child, so I hid Yoogeun from you," Yoona finished.

Seunghyun breathed, "What do I have to do to make everything better?"

Yoona could have said anything and he would have done it.  If she told him to jump off a bridge, he would.  If she told him to go skinny dipping in a lake and humiliate himself, he would.  He would do anything just to make everything go back to the way it was before.  He thought that being mean to her would make her apologize, but it only made her stronger.  He tried to resist from her, but he just couldn't take it anymore.  He just needed her.

"Don't ever treat me like that again.  Just don't repeat your mistakes again.  I'll kill you if you do," Yoona joked.

"O-of course!" he stuttered.

"Do you promise?" Yoona grinned.

She stuck out her pinky and he quickly wrapped his pinky around hers.

"I promise," he vowed.

Seunghyun was amazed.  She was finally forgiving him!  He was expecting an outrageous condition in return for her forgiveness, but she gave him a simple one.  He nodded quickly and let out a satisfied laugh.  He hugged Yoona so tight that her feet were lifted off the floor.  She slapped his chest so that he could set her down immediately.  At that moment, they were interrupted as they heard a shrill scream.  The two broke their embrace.

"Omo, you two are in my garden!" Jieun cried out.

"I'm sorry, but you two aren't allowed in here.  It's a private area that no one is allowed to enter," Jieun continued.

Yoona and Seunghyun quickly stepped out of the garden as Jieun hid the engraved poem with some of the rosebushes.  Yoona suspected something.  She was hiding something and Yoona wanted to figure it out.  Yoona's eyes lit up as her matchmaking senses tingled. 


Sorry for the slow update!  I finally had time to write this chapter.  I wrote this after tennis practice, so sorry if it .  A few more chapters until the end!  And you guys should know that the drama isn't over yet. ;)

And guys, I wrote this chapter like three times. -___-

Every time I'd try to save the chapter, my internet connection would flake out on me, and the chapter wouldn't save.  Lol, this is the first time I had to put in a lot of effort for an update.