Three Years Later

Pinky Promise

The concentration found in her face was inevitable.  Her eyebrows dug deep  as her eyes focused on the drawing she had in her hands. A new creation was created for her first fashion line.  She somehow became the unofficial fashion designer of Jeju Island and she was finally unveiling her first clothing line.  She had spent six months in preparation for the upcoming release, but she felt as if something was missing.  She decided to work on one final dress as the highlight to the clothing line.  

"Mommy!" a cry was heard throughout the whole apartment. 

 

Yoona dropped her sketchpad and pencil on the floor.  She began to run to his bedroom.  She burst through the door and saw her son on his bed with sweat dripping down from his forehead.  He was almost three, but he was pretty tall for his age.  His black hair was soaked with perspiration.  Yoona grabbed a handkerchief and wiped his forehead.  He encircled his arms around his mother and sunk his face into her chest.

 

"Did you have another nightmare?" she asked.

 

He nodded shyly and began to cry.  His tears dripped on Yoona's shirt.  She hugged him tighter and kissed the top of his head.  He always had nightmares.  His cries began to escalade as she ran her fingers through his black hair.  His eyes were closed as he embraced the only direct family member he knew.  His tears came to a halt while she rubbed his back to comfort him.

 

"Do you want to sleep next to me tonight?" Yoona asked.

 

"Yes!" he replied with a smile.

 

He took his hand and held his mother's hand while Yoona led him to her room.  He refused to be carried because he loved walking and running.  He also boasted that he was a 'big boy' just because he was taller than all the students in his class.  He told her once that big boys don't need their moms to carry them around like a fashion accessory.  Once they reached the master bedroom, he ran to the bed and jumped on the mattress.  Yoona had retrieved her sketchpad and pencil on the way to the room and set it down on a table.  It was past midnight and she figured that she could always finish the drawing when the sun rose.  She laid down next to her toddler son.  He was thirty-five months old, but his vocabulary was advanced for a little boy.  He had begun talking after he was one year old, and he began walking when he was only ten months old.  He hugged her, but he didn't seem to fall asleep.  The room was lit with nothing but a night light.  It was her son's personal request.

 

"Yah, Yoogeun, why don't you sleep already?" Yoona questioned.

 

"I need a story," he replied.

 

"What kind of story?"

 

"I want to know how appa is!" Yoogeun threw his fist in the air.

 

Yoona felt almost guilty for raising his hopes up high.  She lied to him and told him that his father was in the military for the mandatory two year service.  She lied to him and told him great stories about his father just so that he can feel normal like the other kids in his school.

 

"Your appa is a very handsome man!" Yoona laughed, "A lot of girls liked him, but the only one that he liked was your umma.  He had black hair just like you.  He likes the same food as you, too."

 

Yoona stopped talking as she saw that her son was slowly closing his eyes.  She gave a grin as she kissed the top of his head.  He needed his sleep.

_______________________

 

Yoona ran her small business with five other men.  Two of them were her cousins and the other three were new friends that she made when she moved to Jeju Island.  They were all best friends with each other and Yoona knew that they were as close as Yoona and her eight other friends.  She began to contemplate on how much she missed them.  She snapped out of her thoughts and cleared .  Yoogeun was in school, so she had time to finish the sketch she was drawing out.

 

"Oh, noona! That dress is beautiful!  Is that going to be the highlight of the upcoming fashion show?" Taemin asked.

 

Yoona nodded and gave a friendly smile.  Minho and Onew were her cousins.  Key, Taemin, and Jonghyun were Minho and Onew's best friends.  Yoona soon befriended them and with their help, Yoona launched the small business.  Yoona gave a grin, but Key grabbed the paper from her.  He took the pencil and began to sketch something on the dress.

 

"I think the dress needs a different color.  It'll bring more attention on the design," Key advised.

 

Yoona nodded and accepted the proposal.  Each of the five men had different roles in the company.  While Yoona was the designer, Jonghyun was the photographer, Minho was the main male model, Onew was the editor, Key was the consultant and modeling coach, and Taemin was the show and photo shoot coordinator.  

 

"Noona, the mayor requested to move the show up to Friday," Taemin said after reading the e-mail on his laptop, "He said that various actors, actresses, models, singers, and directors are to attend for the fashion show.  They're from Seoul!  If they like it, we'll surely be able to make a breakthrough in the fashion industry!"

 

"Why on Friday?!" Yoona panicked, "That will only give us three days for me to make the final dress!  We still have to choose lighting, music, and models for the show.  That doesn't give us much time to rehearse either!"

 

Onew saw that his older cousin was stressed, so he patted her back to show his support.  He smiled at her with encouragement. Yoona took a deep breath.

 

"Here's how it will go.  Noona, all you need to worry about is the dress.  All you need to do is to make the dress and we'll take care of the rest.  Taemin will do his magic and choose music, lighting, and the models.  Minho will make sure that the other models know the show.  I will create a pamphlet that talks about the style and fashion of your clothing line.  Jonghyun will take pictures for the pamphlet," Onew calmed her down.

 

Yoona nodded and a smile reappeared on her face.  She needed to make a dress in less than three days, but she was fine with it.  She knew that she would have to miss out on some sleep, but it would all be worth it in the end.

 

"Hey, what do I do then?!" Key put his hands on his waist.

 

Minho laughed, "You could shout at the models when they do something wrong like what you do when there's a photoshoot!"

 

Key had an assured smile on his face.  Something that he was good at was telling others what to do.  He nodded in agreement as they all soon got to work.

_________________

 

Three days later…

 

Yoona bit her nails nervously as she saw the audience slowly taking their seats.  She peeked at the crowd from behind the curtain.  She took a deep breath and tried to compress her excitement.  There was finally something that was planned in her life.  She went back to the room backstage to check up on everyone.  Jonghyun was in the first row of the audience in preparation to take pictures.  Onew was helping out the models while Key tried to remind the models of how they should walk.  Taemin was trying to put the models in order while Minho fixed a stray hair on his head while looking at the mirror.  Taemin ran to the audio system and began to freak out.  He pulled his hair in frustration.

 

"Oh no, the show is supposed to start in two minutes," Taemin growled silently.

 

"Taemin, what's wrong?" Yoona asked.

 

Taemin looked apologetic, "The opening song isn't working!  It was working during this morning's rehearsal."

 

Key tried to assist them, but there was no way in fixing the corrupted music file.  Yoona felt like crying.  Minho took a microphone he found and plugged it in the audio system.  He gave the microphone to Yoona and gave her an encouraging grin.  Yoona was confused and puzzled.

 

"Noona, you need to sing the song.  We're starting in one minute, and there's no time to say no," Minho said.

 

"Why me?" Yoona asked.

 

Onew chimed, "I heard you sing, noona.  You sing well, and I know that you know this song.  It's Madonna's 4 Minutes.  Everyone knows that song.  We only have the instrumentals and it would sound weird with no lyrics.  You must do it for the show."

 

Yoona tried to be confident as she took the mic and began to sing as the music started.  From backstage, she could see the lights in the front turning on while it flashed different colors.  Yoona tried to remember everything she learned from her vocal lessons that she took when she was a teenager.  Yoona sounded nervous as she sang.

 

"Noona, pretend as if you're in the shower," Onew suggested.

 

Yoona closed her eyes and continued to sing.  She pretended she was in the shower.  She imagined hot water coming out of the shower head and it was only her.  She was alone.  She imagined that one hundred and fifty people were not listening to her voice.  Onew clapped his hands together as Taemin high fived Key.  Minho already left to walk the runway.  As the song came to an end, Yoona opened her eyes to be congratulated by Taemin, Key, and Onew.  

 

"Good job, noona!  You did great!" they praised her.

 

"Don't compliment me yet.  We have just begun," Yoona added.

 

Yoona went to the girls' dressing room to make sure that everyone was running  smoothly.  Yoona went to the main female model.  She didn't look well, and it worried Yoona.  She was supposed to walk the runway with the main dress.  Yoona cleared and rubbed her back.  Yoona also began to worry about her health.  Not only was she an important model, but she was also one of their friends.

 

"Nicole, are you okay?" Yoona asked.

 

"Unnie, I feel like I'm going to faint," she confessed.

 

Yoona was alarmed, "Nicole, tell me.  What have you eaten in the past three days?"

 

Nicole tried to smile, but she was too weak.  Yoona slapped her forehead and swallowed nervously.  It was common for models to starve themselves before a big show.  Yoona disapproved of it and tried to comfort her.  Yoona took a chocolate bar out of her purse and handed it to her.

 

"Nicole, eat this.  It'll make you feel better.  I don't think that you'd be able to go on the runway, though," Yoona said worriedly.

Key entered the dressing room with a clipboard on his hand.  He was telling a group of the models to get on deck because the end of the show was near.  Yoona's eyes filled with rage as she daringly pointed a finger at him.  Key gasped as he rested his hand on his chest.

 

"Did you call Nicole fat?!  She didn't eat much for the past three days!" she accused him.

 

"She gained three pounds in one day!  She needed to lose it," Key defended.

 

"Key, she's not well enough to walk the runway now!  If you can get me a model that can replace her that isn't modeling another dress, please tell me!" Yoona was close to tears.

 

Yoona growled silently as Key applied makeup on her.  He gave her a bright smile.  She told him that she wanted a model that wasn't already wearing a dress and Key found one.  Yoona was there.  Key helped her put on the dress and began fixing her hair.  She was needed to walk the runway in three minutes, so Key went for a quick wavy hairstyle.  Once she stepped out of the dressing room, Onew, Minho, Key, Taemin, and all of the male and female models broke into a quiet applause so that the audience could not hear.  Yoona looked beautiful, but Yoona was the only one who didn't see it.  Yoogeun was dropped off to the studio and saw his mother.  He grinned and gasped to his mother looking so fancy.  He tugged on the hem on her dress.  She bent down and he kissed her on the cheek.

 

"Umma, you look so pretty!  You look like a princess!" Yoogeun sang.

 

"Yoogeun ah, stop teasing mommy!" Yoona was nervous.

 

Onew took Yoogeun in his arms and kissed his nephew on the cheek.  Yoogeun grinned happily and began to clap his hands as he saw his mother walking towards Minho.  Minho was wearing the main male outfit that Key helped her design while Yoona wore the dress that she designed.  Yoona took his arm.  They were supposed to walk the runway together.  They went on deck and waited for a male model to finish his walk.  Yoona took a deep breath and Minho patted her hand.

 

"Noona, you'll do fine.  Since we're related, you must have flaming charisma also," Minho joked.

 

Yoona lightheartedly smiled and the spotlight followed Minho and her.  They walked together on the catwalk.  Yoona had a sweet smile on her face while Minho walked with a cocky grin on his face.  They walked with synchronization and the cameras were flashing. 

 

Yoona was surprised that her eyes weren't blinded by the constant flashing.  It seemed as if the crowd liked the outfit Minho and Yoona wore.  Yoona hid her excitement as she saw the crowd giving her a standing ovation.   As her walk ended, she walked backstage and began to jump up and down.  She was so happy the show was a success.  She picked up Yoogeun from Onew and kissed his cheeks over and over again.  Yoogeun loved to see his mother so happy so he hugged her as he wrapped his short arms around her neck.  Key pulled Yoona by her elbow back to the stage.  Key took the microphone and bowed to the crowd.

 

"We hoped that you enjoyed the show.  Im Yoona is the woman behind the magic to the fashion that you saw today.   She's twenty-two years old and she is currently holding her handsome son," Key announced.

 

Yoogeun waved at the crowd as Yoona kissed his cheek again.  The crowd fell in love with the pair.  The rest of the models joined Yoogeun, Yoona, and Key on stage.  Onew, Jonghyun, and Taemin went on stage to hug Yoona.  The crowd began to cheer.  Yoona felt like crying.  All kinds of important and famous people were clapping for her.  She knew that she was going to get far in life.

______________________________

 

Yoogeun dug into his waffles as his uncles sat on the table with him.  Yoona got an unexpected visit from her five friends and business associates.  Yoogeun was thrilled to have his uncles join him for breakfast.  Even though Minho and Onew were the only ones that were technically his uncles, Yoogeun treated Jonghyun, Taemin, and Key as his real uncles, also.  Yoona joined them at the breakfast table as she set down a plate of more waffles.  The boys dug in with grins on their faces.

 

"And why are you guys so happy this morning?" Yoona bit her waffle.

 

"Why wouldn't we be happy?  We were featured on the front page of a fashion magazine and the weekly news paper!  All of our hard work is finally paying off!" Onew announced.

 

"Besides, we got a lot of important people willing to invest in us," Taemin sheepishly admitted.

 

Yoona was thrilled and her heart was pounding to hear that important businessmen were actually interested in investing in her fashion company.  She gulped down a glass of water as she tried to a contain herself.  She sighed deeply with a confident grin on her face.

 

"You're kidding!" Jonghyun was excited.

 

"Nope, I'm not!  We got deals from three major companies already," Taemin confirmed.

 

"Did you tell her the rest of the deal, hyung?" Minho asked Onew.

 

Onew hit Minho at the back of his head as Yoona arched her back.  Minho rubbed his head as Yoona became more alert.  She was curious about what Onew tried to hide from her.  She put down her fork and waited for his reply.  Onew sighed and threw his hands up in defeat.

 

"Noona, we reviewed all the deals and we found one deal that outshines the others," Onew started.

 

Yoona cleared , "Okay, but I don't understand why you must hide it from me."

 

"Noona, it requires us to move to Seoul," Minho burst out.

 

Yoona gave all of them the death glare as the five men looked down to avoid the fury.  All Yoona heard was Yoogeun chewing his food.  He didn't seem to listen to the conversation.  Key was the first one to look up as he breathed deeply.  He looked saddened by the thought of them rejecting such a great offer.

 

"Noona, you need to listen!" Key argued.

 

"I don't want to move to Seoul!" Yoona cried.

 

"You lived there once!  I don't even know why you moved to Jeju Island.  Seoul is more exciting," Jonghyun added.

 

"No, I just don't want to move," Yoona repeated.

 

Taemin pleaded, "Please just listen to the offer."

 

"Then what are the rest of the conditions?" Yoona crossed her arms.

 

Since Key was the consultant, he took care of most of the business interactions.  He decided that he was the one that was going to explain the  whole procedure to Yoona.  Yoona had her full attention towards him.

 

"Noona, a businessman, who goes by the name Mr. Kim, offered to add our fashion line under his company.  He specializes in electronics, but decided to invest in the fashion industry.  We just need to be under his company for two years and then we're on our own.  He'll make our name known and he'll pay for all the costs.  We just need to share some of the profit with him.  He said that we're going to have to relocate to Seoul so that transportation wouldn't have to be an obstacle," Key explained.

 

"I'm sorry.  I have had a rough past there.  I don't want to go back," Yoona apologized.

 

Jonghyun and Onew rubbed her back.  They knew that Yoogeun's father lived there and he didn't even know that Yoogeun existed.  They knew that it would hurt to see him after three years.  Yoona never mentioned his name, so they decided to not push it and ask.  Yoogeun saw his mother in mental pain and went to her side.  He tugged on her sweater as she looked at him.  He climbed on her lap and hugged his mother.

 

"Why are you sad, umma?" he asked.

 

"It's nothing.  There is just a really bad person in Seoul," Yoona told him.

 

Yoogeun punched the air, "Don't worry, mom!  I'll punch and kick any person that tries to hurt you!"

 

"Yes," Yoona agreed while she rested her head on her son's shoulder, "You're the only one I'll ever need."

________________________________

A/N:  Sorry, I just had to add SHINee in there! :)

They're all too adorable to leave out.