Realizations

Pinky Promise

The cold wind whipped against their faces while the dark surrounded them.  Taeyang tried to catch up to Seunghyun, but Seunghyun was motivated by his anger.  Seunghyun quickened his pace as his gray scarf flowed in the rough wind.  The rain had stopped and all what was left from the storm was the harsh wind and the deep puddles.  Their shoes were soaked from the puddles, but they both didn't care.  

"Hyung, please stop!  This isn't a good solution!" Taeyang tried to persuade him.

"I don't care!  I have had enough!" Seunghyun yelled.

Seunghyun opened the unlocked gate to Jiyong's gigantic house.  He ran to the front door and began to bang on the wooden doors.  Within a few seconds, Jiyong answered it.  He was wearing a robe and he scratched his disheveled head of hair as he saw Seunghyun at such an hour.  Jiyong was caught off guard as he felt a hard fist suddenly punch the side of his jaw.  Jiyong immediately fell on his knees to the ground.  Without a single warning, a sudden kick was launched as Seunghyun's foot his Jiyong.

"What are you doing?!" Jiyong managed to say as he laid on the floor.

Blood trickled down the side of lips as he winced at the pain.  Taeyang managed to pull Seunghyun back before he could hit Jiyong again.

"Don't give me all that nonsense!  I know you kissed Yoona!  Why can't you understand that we're already engaged?  We're getting married tomorrow.  She's my fiance and I am the father to her son.  Just leave us alone!" Seunghyun exclaimed with anger.

Jiyong managed to pull himself up with his elbows as he looked up at the tall man.  Seunghyun looked heated as a red shade covered his whole face.  Seunghyun's temperature was rising as he saw a confident, mocking smile on Jiyong's face.  Satisfaction was painted on Jiyong's face as he brought himself up to his feet.

"You may be Yoogeun's father.  You may be the one that's going to be married to her.  You're going to be happy and Yoogeun will be happy, but did you ever ask yourself if Yoona will be happy?" Jiyong asked, "That's why I'm not leaving.  I want to make sure that she's happy.  She's such a selfless person.  She always looked after you, Yoogeun, her father, and all of her friends. Don't you think that she deserves to be happy, too?"

"She is happy!" Seunghyun shouted.

"What makes you so sure?  Her smiles can deceive you.  I grew up with her.  I would know what makes her happy.  She always dreamed of graduating from college, pursuing a career in fashion, and then marrying her dream man which is me!  All you did was mess up her dreams," Jiyong said deceivingly.

Seunghyun felt his temper growing short.  A cold draft of air breezed through them as the door remained open.  Seunghyun brushed Taeyang off of him with one brisk move.  Even Taeyang could sense the anger that Seunghyun was feeling.  He didn't know what he would do if he was put in his hyung's shoes.  It would be a bad feeling to be told that you got in the way of the dreams of the woman you're in love with.  Seunghyun kneeled on his knees and pulled Jiyong up by the neck.  The faint smile still remained on Jiyong's face.  The grip on Jiyong's neck was getting tighter and tighter.  Taeyang tried pulling Seunghyun's hands off of Jiyong's neck, but Seunghyun was stronger due to the fuel of anger.  

"Hyung, stop it!  You're a father now!  Don't do something that you would be ashamed of doing in front of Yoogeun!" Taeyang said quickly.

The grip on Jiyong's neck loosened as Seunghyun's eyes finally lost some intensity.  Seunghyun stood up as he roughly let go of Jiyong's neck.  Seunghyun looked over at Taeyang and saw desperation in his eyes.  He looked afraid of what was going to happen.  Jiyong rubbed his neck as he kneeled up on his knees.  Seunghyun swallowed the saliva in his mouth and looked directly at his younger brother.

"Taeyang, get the car ready.  I need to talk to Jiyong alone," Seunghyun said.

Taeyang interjected, "That's not a good idea."

"Just let us talk in privacy.  We need to get things straightened out.  I promise there will be no more violence," Seunghyun vowed.

"Can I have your word on that?" Taeyang made sure.

"Of course.  You are my brother," Seunghyun nodded.

Taeyang nodded along with Seunghyun and walked out of the large house.  After closing the door behind him, Seunghyun and Jiyong were left alone.  Jiyong didn't know what was going to happen next.  The only thing that he knew was that he was not afraid of Seunghyun's wrath.  He was no afraid because he would be willing to fight for Yoona's happiness until the end.

"We need to get everything out in the open because tomorrow, I'm going to be the groom that Yoona will meet at the end of the altar," Seunghyun said.

Jiyong gave a half smile, "We do need to get things straightened out."


Yoona finished talking to Jessica on the phone.  Jessica was in Shanghai and she had just promised that she was about to leave for the airport for Yoona's wedding.  Yoona's fingers trembled at the thought of finally getting married.  She couldn't hide her smile as she tried to settle herself down to get some sleep.  She climbed the large king sized bed and was about to wrap herself under the covers.  She saw the door open a little and thought that it would be Seunghyun.  Instead, she saw a mini version of him sleepily walk into the bedroom.  Yoona gave a genuine smile and beckoned for him to come up to her.  He swiftly walked up to his mother and then he was picked up into her arms.  

Yoona set him in the middle of the bed and kissed his forehead.

"I thought you were a big boy!  I thought you wanted to sleep alone," Yoona teased.

"No, I want to be with you," he smiled.

Yoona ruffled his hair as he laid down next to her.  Yoona dimmed the lights and hugged her only child.  She smelled the aroma of the shampoo that she had used to wash his hair a couple of hours ago.  She gave a satisfied grin at how life was turning out for her and her son.  

"Yoogeun ah, are you happy?" she questioned.

"Yes," he answered, "I have a mommy and daddy now."

Yoona couldn't describe the feeling that she was feeling.  It was as if her heart was finally complete.  She was excited for her wedding.  She was happy that she had gotten things settled with Seunghyun, and she felt blessed to have such an obedient, handsome child.

"Go to sleep, baby.  The ring bearer needs his rest!" Yoona informed him.

"I'm the ring bear!" Yoogeun pouted, "Not the ring bearer!"


Seunghyun got home with Taeyang.  Taeyang gave him an encouraging smile and then went up to his room.  With his jacket swung back, he made his way to the kitchen to get a glass of water.  Next to the kitchen was a little den that their mother used to do all of her daily hobbies.  She knitted clothes, read books, and made crafts in that room.  Seunghyun was surprised to see it with a light on this late at night.  It was already an hour before midnight.  He should be sleeping, but he wanted to check why the light was on.  He peeked through the door and saw his mother singing to herself as she drank a glass of wine.  Seunghyun walked up to his mother and gave a puzzled look.

"Ah, Seunghyun!" she said happily.

Her hair was a mess as she gave a smile.  The new wrinkles on her face collided together as she gave a big grin.  He beckoned for him to come to her with one hand.  She took a gulp at her red wine as Seunghyun sat next to his mother.

"Umma, what are you doing?  There's a wedding tomorrow and you can't come to the wedding with a hangover!" Seunghyun lectured.

"Ah, you were always the logical son.  You always cared about the future and about everyone," Misun remembered, "And don't worry about a thing! If you didn't remember, I'm really strong at holding my alcohol. This won't do a thing to me.  It's just wine and I didn't drink much."

Seunghyun was about to go back to his room, but he was stopped by his mother.  Misun grabbed his hand and sat him back down.

"Something's troubling you.  Is something bothering you?  You're getting married tomorrow.  Are you nervous?" she asked.

"No, I'm not!" he said defensively, "It's just that...never mind."

"Tell me now!" she ordered.

Misun gave him a stern look.  She wanted to know every important thing going on in her sons' minds.

"I personally believe that I will be eternally happy with Yoona and Yoogeun.  I can't wait to get married to her, but I just want to make sure that she'll be happy with me.  She's really nice, caring, respectful, and selfless, and I'm so blunt, harsh, and I only care about a limited amount of people.  Will she be happy with me?  Will she regret getting married to me?" he wondered.

"Who knows?" Misun said abruptly.

Seunghyun thought that she would try to make him feel better by reassuring him that Yoona would love him forever, but he received an unexpected answer.

"I know that's very blunt of me, but if I lied to you about her feeling the same way, I'd be a bad mother.  Truth is...I don't know.  You don't know.  Only she knows," Misun said, "Didn't you ever wonder why she didn't get married while she was in Jeju Island?  Maybe she was waiting for you, or maybe she wasn't.  No one will know except for her.  The three year separation you had with her was like you letting her go.  I believe that if you love someone, you will let them go, and if they return to you, then you two are meant to be."

"Umma, she didn't get married to another guy because she was pregnant," Seunghyun interfered.

"Exactly!" Misun exclaimed, "She didn't get permission from you to move on because you suddenly left with no warning.  Leaving her without a warning gives her hope that you'll come back for her. Even if she did want to move on, she couldn't because she was pregnant by you!  Her pregnancy was like an invisible leash that you had put on her.  If you were to give her freedom right now, do you think that she'll stay with you?  If she does, then congratulations!  You two will be happy in your marriage, but if she doesn't...then there will be problems because that tells me that the only thing keeping you two together is not love, but the fact that you two have a child together."

Seunghyun listened to his mother's words carefully as he pressed his lips against his folded hands.  He took in a deep breath and raised his head up.  He needed to make a move fast.  Yoona made him happy, but he wasn't sure if he was good for Yoona.  Tomorrow was their wedding and he had to think fast.  He couldn't let her get married to him over the fact that they had a baby together.  He wanted her to be happy, too.


Yoona tried to sleep because her wedding was in less than 24 hours.  A bride needed to look shining and to look bright, she needed her sleep.  She just couldn't sleep over the fact that she was finally getting married.  Her excitement was going through the roof.  She heard Yoogeun snoring softly.  She laid down next to him and closed her eyes.  She put the blanket over her body.  She heard the hallway light switch get flicked up as someone made their way to the bedroom.  She immediately pretended that she was sleeping as she heard Seunghyun enter the room.  She heard him sniffling as if he was crying.  Yoona heard him dropping something on the bedside, but she couldn't figure out what it was because the room was too dim.  Yoona guessed that he had dropped his watch, phone, and some papers to the side.  She felt his presence at her side as she felt his soft, thin lips kiss the surface of her forehead.  He then ran his fingers through Yoogeun's hair.  Within a few minutes, she felt him getting ready to sleep as he laid down on the other side of the bed.


Yoona winced in pain as Yuri tightened the laces on the back of her dress.  Jessica was busy fixing her veil despite her exhaustion due to jet lag.  Yoona stared at herself in the mirror.  She couldn't believe that she was finally going to get married.  Her last name was going to change.  Her priorities were going to change.  She breathed in as she touched her bare neck.  Her light skin blended in well with the white wedding dress as she received many compliments from all of her bridesmaids.  Yoona remembered that her neck was still as bare as ever.

"Aish, I forgot my diamond necklace on the bedside table," she grunted.

Jessica volunteered, "I'll get it."

Jessica walked to the other side of the house to get her diamond necklace.  The walk had to be longer than five minutes.  Seunghyun's mansion was just so big that it was unbelievable that less than ten people lived there.  She sighed as she climbed up the stairs in high heels.  Her bridesmaid dress was on as she made her way up the stairs.  The whole house was in chaos as they got ready for the wedding.  Maids were running around everywhere, the wedding planner was yelling at the top of her lungs, and Misun was trying to settle down the ring bearers and the flower girls.  Jessica finally made it into Yoona's bedroom with Seunghyun.  As she walked over to the bedside table, something caught her eyes.  Next to her diamond necklace was a paper.  It was folded neatly, but on the front of it, it read Yoona's name.

At that moment, Jessica grabbed the diamond necklace and ran to the room Yoona was dressing up in.  She was pretty sure that the note was from Seunghyun.  As soon as she reached the room, she asked everyone except for Yoona and Yuri to clear out.  Taeyeon escorted the rest of the girls out to give the three some privacy.  Jessica was out of breath as she stood in front of Yuri and Yoona.

"What's wrong?  Why are you so anxious?" Yuri questioned.

"Yoona ah, when was the last time you saw Seunghyun?" Jessica asked.

Yoona answered, "I saw him last night.  I didn't get to see him in the morning because we planned out two weeks ago that he would go to Hyun Joong's house before I woke up.  Misun was scolding us that we can't see each other on our wedding day until the ceremony because of some stupid superstition.  Why?  What's wrong?"

"I think Seunghyun left a note for you.  He wouldn't have left a note if everything was okay, right?" Jessica panted.

Yoona didn't bother replying as she took the note from Jessica's hands.  She unfolded it frantically and began to read it quickly.  She couldn't breathe as she unfolded the letter.  Yuri and Jessica gave her time to read it and waited for some feedback on that letter.  Yoona's eyes darted at different points of the white paper as she began to process everything in her mind.

Dear Yoona,

Good morning.  I know today is our wedding day, but something has been bothering me.  As stupid as it sounds, I just realized that you were forced into marrying me.  I really don't know if we were meant to be because I'm not sure if you're happy with me.  For three years, you hid from me, and there's a reason to that.  I think you hid from me because you didn't want me in your life.  I'm not abandoning you and Yoogeun.  I just want to give you two some space because maybe I'm not what's best for you two.  I just want you to live happily without any chains.  I don't want to be the reason to a miserable Yoona. I'll give you and Yoogeun some space to think things over.  I'll be in New York and I'll return in a few months.  I won't be angry with you if I come back and things are different.  You can finally do whatever you want now.  You can marry the real man of your dreams, you can get me out of your hair, and you can finally be happy.  I'm sorry for telling you this through a letter.  It's stupid and I know that I should be brave and tell you in person, but I just can't because I'm pretty sure that I'd cry in front of you.  I really love you, and that's why I want you to be happy.

Love,
Seunghyun

Yoona crumpled the paper up and threw it against the wall.  Yuri and Jessica stared at her with disbelief.  Yoona told herself that she will not cry.  She picked up her dress and stepped away from the mirror.  She pointed at Jessica who was startled.

"Jessica, get your car ready!  We're going groom hunting!" Yoona declared.

Since only five people could fit in Jessica's white BMW, Yuri, Seohyun, and Hyoyeon tagged along with Jessica and Yoona.  Yoona sat in the passenger seat as Jessica accelerated the speed.  Jessica drove so quickly and crazily that she probably broke at least five traffic laws.  Yoona and the girls didn't care because it was Yoona's wedding day and they knew that Yoona wasn't going to let Seunghyun escape.


A/N:  It took me a while to write this because I kept on messing up and starting over, haha.  The next chapter might be the last one, and MAYBE there might be epilogue.  Please anticipate it! ^__^