Finally Friends

Pinky Promise

The books were stacked in high piles on the wooden table Yoona and Seunghyun were sharing.  Yoona automatically thought that she was going to be the one doing all the work and she assumed that he didn't know a word of English because when Hyori spoke to him in English, he didn't reply a word.  Yoona took the first book.  She looked at the title and remembered that she had to read it in her advanced placement literary class back in high school.  

"Oh, it's Hamlet," she said in fluent English, "He's the prince that saw his father's ghost right after his father died.  His mother ended up marrying his father's brother.  The ghost then told Hamlet that his father  did not die in accident but because of ear poisoning.  Everyone ended up dying; what a tragedy."

Seunghyun nervously glanced over at Yoona and cleared his throat.  She caught him staring at her and she quickly sat up.

"What are you looking at?" she fired.

Seunghyun observed that she was really defensive.  She was especially defensive when she caught someone looking at her, staring at her, or checking her out.  She seemed to be the type of woman that avoided guys that tried to hit on her.  Seunghyun shook his head as he took the books from her hands.

"I actually think that the cause of the appearance of old Hamlet's ghost is because the younger Hamlet cannot accept the fact that his uncle has married his mother.  Back during that time, the situation between his mother and his uncle was considered to be ," Seunghyun examined.

It was Yoona's turn to stare at him.  He had just talked in fluent English and he made an intelligent assumption.  Yoona's fingers interlaced with each other as she set her hands on her lap.  She swallowed some of her saliva and nodded in agreement.

"So, you really are from America," Yoona said, "Which city are you from?"

"I'm from Los Angeles," he replied in a low voice.

"Tell me; why did you choose to move to Seoul?  Los Angeles is filled with excitement and adventure," she was curious.

Seunghyun fidgeted, "My life wasn't all that great there."

Yoona knew that he was hiding something.  He was running away from something and she wanted to know why.  Before she could even ask him why he had a negative viewpoint about life in Los Angeles, her phone rang.  A message was sent to her and she took out her phone.  She held the phone in her hand.  She checked her message and it was from Taeyeon.

"There's a party at my jagiya's house! It starts in ten minutes," the message read.

Yoona looked up and saw Seunghyun to continue writing.  She really wanted to go to Jaejoong's party.  She bit her lip and looked around the library.  She really wanted to attend that party really bad.  She stood up as Seunghyun looked up at her while ripping his eyes away from his notebook. 

"Is there something wrong?" he asked.

"Listen, this project is due in three days and we're more than halfway through.  I suggest we go to a party," she smiled.

He shook his head, "You can go if you want.  I'll just finish the rest of the project by myself."

Yoona went to his side and began to gently tug on his sleeve.  He was surprised to see that the independent girl looked desperate.  She looked as if she had gotten suddenly sad because he didn't want to go with her.  He began to wonder to himself why she was so eager for him to go with her.

He finally nodded his head in agreement.  He took the notebook and put it in his bag as Yoona clapped her hands together in celebration at his approval.  She started to feel bad that she was bullying him when he was so nice to her.  She snapped out of her thoughts.

Yoona was surprised to know that Seunghyun and she had to walk to the party since he claimed that he couldn't drive.  He was about twenty one or twenty two and he couldn't drive yet.  Yoona quickly assumed that he was poor.  She didn't think that it was a bad thing since he would probably rise financially after college.  She thought he was on a scholarship hence the reason why her father liked him so much.  Maybe the reason why he called his life in Los Angeles to be negative was because he was in poverty there.

Since her father advised him to guide Yoona, Seunghyun told himself that he needed to watch Yoona every single minute they were in the party.  The party was filled with boys and he knew that all those boys loved her and her looks.  They were just scared of her attitude. He remembered hearing guys in the locker room talking about how Yoona's hotness would be doubled if she had a mute button.  He rolled his eyes at the thought and considered that statement to be degrading to her and every woman in the world.

Yoona went straight to her friends and hugged them.  Seunghyun saw her make her way through the crowd with Sunny, Jessica, and Yuri to the closest bar.  She had to be kidding.  She was planning on getting drunk!  Seunghyun was going to follow her, but was pulled back by a familiar face.  His best friends gave him a grin.

"Bro, I'm surprised you came!" Hyun Joong shouted over the loud music.

Seunghyun nodded and said hello to Hyun Joong and Jaejoong.

"Where are you going?" Jaejoong asked as he noticed Seunghyun trying to escape their company.

Jaejoong caught Seunghyun looking over at Yoona who was drinking a margarita sadly.  Jaejoong held his rolled up fist to his lips as Hyun Joong and Jaejoong gasped together.

"Don't tell me you're hitting that!" Hyun Joong exclaimed.

"Shut up!  That's insulting to women!" Seunghyun's eyes widened.

Jaejoong grinned evilly, "Hm, maybe Seunghyun is interested in our campus' very own Miss Im Yoona."

Seunghyun shook his head loudly, "I am not interested in her!  I just need to watch over her!"

Jaejoong and Hyun Joong folded their arms across their chests.  Seunghyun knew that they were thinking that he was whipped so he put his hands up in the air.

"Fine, I'll stop looking over her!" he laughed.

______________________________________

Yoona was kind of buzzed as she took another margarita.  The alcohol content in each serving must have been high since she only had two and she was already dizzy.  Sunny, Jessica, and Yuri had just broken her the news that Jiyong was yet in another scandal.  He was dating a woman and Yoona was upset that it was a different girl from the article she read earlier in the morning.  Yoona felt someone pat her back roughly.  She turned around and saw an unwanted face.

"What the hell do you want?" Yoona slurred.

"What the heck are you doing in this party?  Get out!  You're ruining my night!" Hyuna yelled.

Yoona concluded that she was more drunk than Yoona.  A rivalry between Hyuna and Yoona started back in middle school.  Hyuna was in love with a guy, but he was interested in Yoona.  She hated Yoona ever since.  Yoona stood up from her chair and wobbled as she tried to keep her balance.

"This is a party thrown by a friend, so I have every right to be here," Yoona smiled confidently, "but you should leave.  I'm pretty sure there are some people here allergic to dogs."

Hyuna's eyes widened.  They were bloodshot from the alcohol, but they were still widened.  Her jaw dropped and she could hear everyone laughing at Yoona's insulting joke.  Hyuna slapped Yoona in the face and Yoona pressed her palm against her cheek.  Yoona gasped loudly along with the rest of the crowd.  She punched Hyuna in the face and the two ended up on the floor pulling each other's hair, slapping each other, and to everyone's amusement, Yoona banging Hyuna's head against the floor.  Hyuna's friend, Hyunseung, pulled Yoona off of Hyuna roughly.  Yoona was thrown across the floor.  Jessica, Sunny, and Yuri went to Yoona's rescue.

"Dumb hits a girl just because she was beating up your little friend!  Why didn't you leave them?  Yoona was beating her up!" Jessica hollered.

Yuri and Sunny were about to confront Hyunseung, who was helping Hyuna up to her feet, until Seunghyun stepped in.  Seunghyun saw Yoona on the floor and turned angry immediately.  He hated the fact that she was hurt when he was supposed to be watching her.

"Hyunseung, why did you throw her across the floor?!" Seunghyun argued.

Hyunseung scoffed with humor, "That dumb was being a !"

Seunghyun glared at Hyunseung.  He was a good guy when he met him, but he was also drunk.  Seunghyun decided to not mess with him since he was drunk, and Seunghyun himself was not.

"You're chickening out on me now?" Hyunseung threw a punch at Seunghyun.

Seunghyun could feel a bruise forming on the side of his lip.  He touched it and felt blood on the tips of his fingers.  He sighed and looked at Hyunseung.  

"You're drunk, and I am not going to scoop down to your level.  Have a good night and I hope to see you in school tomorrow," Seunghyun said as he walked over to Yoona.

Yuri demanded that Seunghyun take Yoona to their condo and she gave him the key and address.  She informed him that he should stay there until she fell asleep because she might run off into the night after what she went through today.  Jessica added that they weren't going to go home that night because they were so drunk that they were probably going to stay overnight at Leeteuk's house.  They couldn't leave their cars at Leeteuk's house when they weren't there.  He agreed reluctantly; he hated the thought of staying over at a woman's place overnight.  He thought it sounded wrong and unjust.

Seunghyun carried Yoona on his back while walking to her condo about a mile away.  The sky was dark, but the streetlights provided some light.  Seunghyun thought that she weighed like nothing, so his body wasn't hurting at all.  She was mumbling inaudible words the whole time, and Yoona wrapped her arms around his neck.  Once they reached the condo, Seunghyun unlocked the door with the key and closed the door behind him.  He walked to her bedroom after reading the label reading 'YoonYul's Room.'  He gently set her down on the bed as she began to mumble.  Seunghyun's phone rang loudly and he answered it.  It was her father.

"Seunghyun, it's me, Daniel!" Daniel greeted.

"Hello, Daniel," Seunghyun answered.

Daniel began to talk, "Listen, I know that Yoona is quite the handful and I wanted to know if you brought my little girl home safely."

Seunghyun gazed at Yoona and saw her sleeping peacefully.  She was in one peace and she was safe.

"Yes, I dropped her off home a couple hours ago.  After we studied, I brought her home and she slept," Seunghyun covered up for her, "She was behaved today."

"Ah, that's good to hear.  I'm glad my little angel is changing slowly.  Thanks for keeping an eye out for her, and good night!" Daniel thanked.

Seunghyun said goodbye, "You're welcome, sir.  Have a good night."

Seunghyun was about to leave the condo until Yoona grabbed him by the wrist.

"W-where are you going?" she stuttered.

"I need to go now.  It's getting late.  It's already one in the morning," he said.

"No, don't leave me!" Yoona pouted, "What if someone tries to kill me?"

"No one will try to kill you," he assured her.

"No, you're lying.  You must stay here with me.  Promise me you won't leave me!  Promise me you'll never leave me and you'll stay by my side forever!" she yelped as she held out her pinky.

He sighed and wrapped his pinky around hers.  She gave a contented smile.

She was still obviously drunk.  She didn't sober up one bit.  Seunghyun was pretty sure that she had more than those margaritas.  He nodded and sat on the chair on the side.  Yoona beckoned for him to come closer and sit next to her on the bed.  He walked up to her slowly as she scooted to make space for him.

"I can't just lay next to you," he said.

"Just come here!" Yoona yelled as she pulled him, "I'm cold and I need body warmth."

Seunghyun figured that she was so cold because she had no body fat.  The girl was skinny, but she was fit.  He figured that she worked out regularly.  Yoona pulled him next to her and his breathing became rough after she rested her head on his shoulder.  Yoona smiled and she looked crazy.

"I wanted you to come to the party with me because I knew that you would protect me.  Ever since oppa left, no guy was there that would help me.  Well, there were guys that are willing to help me, but then they'd try to get into my pants after.  You're one of a kind," she confessed.

She was the emotional, truthful drunk.  It was true:  if you were drunk, you had sober thoughts.

______________________________________________

Yoona woke up with a major headache.  She didn't remember a thing that happened during the party.  Yoona woke up to find Yuri sipping on a cup of hot coffee on her bed.  Yoona scratched her head and saw that the clock read that it was 10 a.m.  Yoona puffed in disappointment that she had gotten drunk.  It was her first time getting drunk and she knew that she did it because she was upset and angry about Jiyong dating another girl.  

"So, tell me why Seunghyun was in here this morning," Yuri finally said.

"What?  He slept next to me?!  I'm going to kill him!" Yoona screamed.

Yuri shook her head and gave Yoona a disapproving gesture by waving her finger in front of Yoona's face.

"You should be thanking him!" Yuri yelled as Yoona gave a confused expression, "He was the one that got punched because of you!  He's the one that carried you on his back for a mile just to bring you home safely.  If you don't remember, you got in a fight with Hyuna, and he got punched by Hyunseung because Seunghyun got angry that Hyunseung threw you across the floor."

"Oh," Yoona was dumbfounded, "but why was he sleeping next to me? Don't tell me we did something!  I didn't want to lose my ity!"

Yuri laughed and patted Yoona on her cheek.

"My dear Yoona, you are incorrect.  I found him here sitting on the chair next to the bed while holding your hand.  It seems as if he had vomit on his jacket thanks to you and he had to sleep on the chair without a jacket.  He even held your hand because you were having a nightmare," Yuri informed her, "Seunghyun left as soon as I arrived here this morning."

"No way," Yoona was still in shock.

_____________________________________________

The class was about to start when Yoona set her materials on her desk to prepare for the lesson.  The class was starting to fill up with her classmates.  She saw Seunghyun walk in and give her an embarrassed wave.  He walked to the back of the classroom to attain his seat in the empty table.  Hyori observed Yoona as Yoona looked back and started to talk to Seunghyun.

"The seat next to me isn't taken anymore," she smiled sweetly and beckoned for him to sit next to her.

Seunghyun walked to the empty seat and sat down on the chair.  He cleared his throat.  He found it to be awkward that everyone in the class was staring at the both of them.  Yoona sensed his embarrassment and pounded her hands against the desk.

"What is everyone looking at?  You guys never seen me sit next to a guy?!" she yelled before she sat back down.

Hyori gave a satisfied smile and started the lesson.  She was hoping that Yoona and Seunghyun would get along.

Yoona took out a notebook and ripped out a sheet.  She took a blue inked pen and began to write a note.  She was ecstatic that Seunghyun was a legit guy.  She was impressed that he didn't try to get into her pants.  He had a chance that hundreds of guys would have taken, but  he didn't use it.  Instead of taking advantage of her, he watched her with respect.  She was glad that he was the type that respected her with manners.  He even stayed overnight, even if he was uncomfortable and smelly due to her vomit, just to be assured that she was safe and sound.  She was glad that she finally had a true friend of the opposite .

She slid the note across the table to his side.  The paper was folded.  Seunghyun unfolded it and read it to himself.

We're friends now, but don't screw it up!

For the first time in a while, Seunghyun smiled and Yoona giggled.