Chapter 7

Red

 

________________________________________

 

We sat at a noodles shop one night after work. He was talking about this place and how delicious the noodles here for days. I eyed him and couldn’t believe the scene before me. He was eating his third bowl now, whereas I haven’t finished my first portion. He was eating deliciously and didn’t seem to look full. How could he eat so much? Where all those foods go? Is he pregnant?

 

“Hyesung-ah, slow down.” I gave him a cup of water.

 

“Huh?” He finally looked up at me. “Oh.” He accepted the cup, drank the water and wiped his mouth with tissue. But for my disappointment, he continued to eat and was not even slowing down. I smiled in astonishment at this guy behavior. I learned that night that when he was eating, he would only and solely pay his attention to his plate. Or for this recent case, his bowl.

 

I pushed my bowl away and drink some soju. That made him looked up at me quizzically. “I’m full just by looking at you eating.” I answered him.

 

“You don’t want it?” He asked and for my surprised, he took my bowl and started to eat it.

 

“Shin Hyesung!”

 

“What?”

 

“Don’t you think you’re eating too much?” I was flabbergasted at his appetite. But he only smiled sheepishly with his cheek puffed full of food and still munching. I raised my hands in the air in defeat. I leaned back at my chair and just watched him slurped the noodles until the last drop of the soup.

 

“You ate incredibly a lot.” I commented when he finally finished his dinner.

 

He humored me a lot when he pushed the last bowl and said, “Ah, I’m full.” His satisfied smile was plastered wide in his face. He had a dignity to wipe his mouth carefully with tissue. Ah, so he realized that he splattered the soup all over his face?

 

“When the last time you eat?”

 

“Lunch.” He answered nonchalantly. “Ah, no. I ate burger while waiting for you.” He continued after contemplating for seconds.

 

“You have another person lives inside your stomach?”

 

“Stop ridiculed me! I didn’t eat too much!” He protested while his face started to grow red.

 

“Hyesung-ah, you ate three large bowls and my leftover. I’m sorry if I’m a little shocked right now.”

 

He glared at me and added, “Why are you like this?”

 

“What else? I’m upset at you now. We haven’t met for days and I missed you so bad, but you’re not even looked at me and busy eating this last hour.” Oh my, now I’m sulking..

 

He chuckled then said, “For a moment, I thought you upset because I ate too much. I’m sorry..” He looked around then brushed my hand over the table lightly before pulled his hand again almost immediately. I grinned at that.

 

“I said I missed you so bad.”

 

“So?” His mouth’s corner lifted a little.

 

“You don’t have anything to say to me?”

 

“Thank you?” He stuck his tongue out.

 

“Shin Hyesung, you jerk.” But that only made him threw his head back laughing.

 

“I will move out from Minwoo’s apartment this Sunday. Want to come and help?”

 

“This Sunday? Sure.” He nodded but then his eyes widened in panic.

 

“Why?”

 

“It will be the first time I meet Minwoo since we’re— you know. And he knew about us. What should I do?” 

 

“Relax. He’s really supportive about us.” Now it was my turn to brush his hand lightly, but not like him, I lingered a bit until he pulled his hand in embarrassment. He lifted his eyebrow and mouthed ‘We’re in public!

 

“He might be really supportive, but it won’t stop his teasing.” He growled. He got his point. Minwoo was having his best life these past days. Teasing me endlessly every time he saw a chance. Sometimes I needed to made a call (or received them) inside the bathroom to prevent him eavesdropping.

 

“Then we’ll team up to stop him or ignore him. Whatever works.” Maybe I needed to bribe Minwoo to shut up that day. I didn’t need him to scare Hyesung.

 

“That sounds like a lame plan.” He commented dryly.

 

“Whatever. Come on, I drive you to your car.”

 

“Wait.” He jerked from his seat.

 

“Why?”
 

“Let’s eat seafood soup before we left. This place has the best seafood soup.” He smiled enthusiastically.

 

“You said you’re full!”

 

“That was 10 minute ago.” I sat back in defeat. I thought, if we ever got married, all my salaries would used up just to feed him.

 

***

 

Sunday morning, Minwoo helped me to pack all my clothes and belongings. Lived here for a month, I didn’t have many things to pack after all. Only two luggage and a few small boxes for work papers.

 

“You better watch your mouth. I mean it.” I said to him for the umpteenth times since yesterday.

 

“Or what?” He mocked me, just like yesterday.

 

“Or I will fire you!”

 

“Oh, that’s new.” He only nodded but seemed not afraid whatsoever. I was throwing all threat I could think of since yesterday, he started to get used to it.

 

“Yah!”

 

“Okay, okay. I will watch my mouth. Happy?” He chuckled after that. “But you can’t stop me to have a little fun. You two are just too cute.” He ran away when I grabbed the closest thing to my hand and tossed it to his face.

 

The bell rang just a moment after and I could hear Minwoo shouted, “I got it. It must be Hyesung.” That little bastard was having a feast over my embarrassment.

 

I walked out my bedroom and saw Minwoo already invited him to come in. Hyesung’s face was flushed. Minwoo then speak merrily, “Please come in, Hyesung. Make yourself comfortable.” He wore a white shirt and black wool loose cardigan under his coat. With his jeans and white tennis shoes he looked a lot younger. I got myself a gorgeous boyfriend.

 

When he stepped inside, Hyesung and I both glanced to the wall where he pinned and kissed me that night. The memories from that night crept immediately. He smiled awkwardly while my heart started to race. But it was nothing compared the time when suddenly Minwoo said, “And when I say comfortable, skinship is allowed.” He grinned so wide.

 

“Minwoo!” I panicked to see Hyesung’s face was all red.

 

“Sorry, I can’t help it.” He chuckled a bit but then repeated his sorry to Hyesung which he only nodded in embarrassment.

 

“You bring your car?” I asked Hyesung and he nodded at it. “Good. I’ll ride with you.”

 

“You left your car there?” He asked slowly.

 

“He just wanted to spend more time with you.” Minwoo said before I could open my mouth. “He planned thoroughly.” He was in the middle of chuckling happily when I finally strangled him from behind.

 

***

 

We arrived at my new apartment almost immediately. It was only 5 minutes from Minwoo’s apartment because I wanted a building that was close to the restaurant. We rode the elevator together and reached the 12th floor.

 

“The password is 1233.” I muttered to Hyesung. He looked frightened at that but I retorted, “Yah, don’t look at me like that! Your password is your unit number.”

 

“But 1233 is way too lazy.” He snorted when we stepped in.

 

“Hey, I suggested it. Now I feel offended.” Minwoo said and pretended to looked mad. But that only made Hyesung looked more surprised than before.

 

“When are you going to throw a party?” Minwoo asked while throwing my luggage unceremoniously on the floor. “Why it was me who has to bring your overly heavy luggage?”

 

“What party?” I decided to ignore his second question.

 

“Your new house party.” Minwoo smiled expectantly.

 

“No. I don’t think I need that.” I shook my head.

 

“You don’t have to invite a lot of people. Just us three and Junjin, how about that?” Minwoo didn’t give up easily. I looked at Hyesung but he only shrugged.

 

“I’ll think about it. Now get back to work. I’ll unpack my luggage with Hyesung, you take care of those books and paper works.” I took my luggage and turned away not waiting for his answer.

 

“Yeah, yeah. I’ll let you have your time.” Minwoo winked before took one box.

 

“It’s not a bad idea, actually. Just prepare some foods and a lot of alcohol, and we all will be fine.” Hyesung stated when we stepped inside my closet.

 

“It’s not that I hate the idea. You think it would be alright to let Minwoo— and he would be drunk and all, if I might add— with his teasing at the same room while Junjin doesn’t know about us?”

 

“Oh. So that’s why.” His face gone blank.

 

“You said you want to tell him personally. So I thought I’ll wait a little more to have this party.”

 

“I just couldn’t find a perfect time to tell him.” He muttered.

 

“Don’t take it the wrong way. I’m not pressuring you here. If only I know how to make Minwoo shut up.” I sighed then throwing my pants carelessly from inside the luggage to the wardrobe.

 

“That’s what you called unpacking?” He scolded me. “Move aside!” He kicked me aside then kneeled. He took all my clothes, folded them carefully and grouped them accordingly. He hung my shirt and suit according to color. He put my T-shirts and sweatpants and jackets on different stacks. He folded my ties, underwear and socks then put them in the drawer. He even organized my watches and perfume. Lastly he put my shoes on the bottom shelf.

 

“Put your toiletries yourself.” He finally said while looking satisfied at his works.

 

I nodded obediently. “You’re the best, Shin Hyesung.” I said and smiled. The kind of smile that he always considered ‘smile like idiot’.

 

“I don’t know why I worked so hard. I believe you will surely turn them upside down in no time.” I only grin at that comment. He knew me so well. I zipped my luggage and put them in the corner.

 

“Your clothes are boring.” He commented dryly then sighed. “Look at them, similar style and dull colors. Boring.”

 

“Yah! Nothing’s wrong with them.” Really, I thought nothing was wrong with my clothes. And Minwoo picked that time to poke his head inside.

 

“Am I interrupting something?” Minwoo teased almost gleefully.

 

“I just tell him that his collections are boring.”

 

“I know, right?” Minwoo walked inside and sighed sadly. “Remind you of slum.”

 

“Shut up, you two! You’re done with yours?” I asked to Minwoo.

 

“Uh hum.” We stood there and no one said anything for a minute. “Oh, this is awkward.” Minwoo finally exclaimed, but he clearly looked like enjoying the moment. So I glared at him which he only chuckled. “I know, I know.. So I’ll excuse myself now and let you two lovebirds enjoy your love nest. Enjoy your quality time!”

 

***

 

“Are you hungry?” I asked Hyesung when I couldn’t take the silent anymore. We were quietly sitting at the couch and watched TV even though it was nothing but boring. I noticed Hyesung played with his cardigan’s hem all along.

 

He was startled at my question. “Hmm, no. Not really. Are you?” Since Minwoo left, we became more awkward. Stupid Minwoo, what’s with the love nest comment?

 

“Are you upset?”

 

“Me? No. Why you ask?” He stammered.

 

“You haven’t said anything since Minwoo left. Don’t think too much about it, Hyesung-ah. He always thinks that he’s funny, even when he’s not.”

 

“I wasn’t thinking about Minwoo’s words. And I’m not upset.” He fixed his bangs while he said that. Oh, so you’re nervous.

 

“Why you don’t say anything?”

 

“Then you should start the talking.” He said and smiled shyly.

 

“Ah. So it’s like that.” I nodded. “Okay, I’ll start the talking. Hyesung-ah, may I kiss you now?”

 

He kicked my leg so hard, “Yah! Is that all you have inside your head?” He snapped and the red color started to appear all over his face.

 

“Ow! Why? What’s wrong with that?” I rubbed my painful leg.

 

“ert!” He hissed and shifted his seat away from me.

 

“I’m not a ert! I missed you.” I knew I was whining now. I moved closer and grabbed his hand.

 

“Halt. Don’t move any closer. Don’t you dare to move any closer!” He glared to me and tried to push my hand away. Oh, I could play this push and pull games alright!

 

“Daring is my middle name, Baby.” Well, maybe not. But that was not the point. I grabbed his both hands now. His eyes lit in anticipation. But of course he played his part by struggling and trying to pry my grip.

 

“I’m not your Baby.” He hissed slowly. But it just made me want him even more.

 

“Wanna bet?” I pushed his shoulder and bluntly pressed my lips to his. Still shocked, he was lying motionless for seconds when I started kissing him. But then I felt his hands crept up my shirt and his lips were finally moving. Next thing I knew, I was kissing his neck and I could hear him let out a funny sighs under me. I wanted to hear it again, so I bit a small patch of his skin. But then something must be flashed in his head that made him jerk immediately.

 

“Oh my God!”

 

“What? Why? What’s wrong?” I looked worriedly at him. “Is it that hurt?” My eyes automatically observed the precise place where I bit him just now. It was slight red, but seemed fine to me.

 

“It’s not that, Idiot!” He pushed me to sit and supported his upper body with his elbows, then said nervously. “You should change your security number! What if Minwoo barges in when we are like this?”

 

“You’re kidding, right?” I couldn’t believe he was worried over a matter like that in a moment like this.

 

“Promise me you will change it!” He said it sternly, almost commanding.

 

“Fine. Now, shut up.”

 

***

 

We sat in my brand new dining table and had our dinner together. We ordered various foods from his favorite Chinese foods’ restaurant. I knew that he would ignore me during his dinner, so I took my compensation. I entangled our feet under the table. At first he was uncomfortable at it and tried to pry them off. But I wouldn’t date him now if I ever gave in easily. While I was watching him eat (again, with overly enthusiastic manner) I thought I was contented with all this. Hyesung and I were in my own place, spending the day together and having dinner peacefully in the night. I want nothing more, really.

 

“What are you thinking?” He suddenly asked.

 

“You.”

 

“Cheesy.” He scoffed then continued to eat.

 

“Hyesung-ah, I think we missed out one thing.” I saw him looked up at me.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“We never had a proper date. I thought, at least I should ask you for a date.”

 

“And what kind of date do you want to ask me to?” He chewed slowly.

 

“Hmm.. just normal date?” Was he the romantic type that expects dinner full of meticulous details?

 

“Candle light dinner? Go to the movie? Watching the sunset? I veto them all.” He shook his head. “Too obvious. Too risky.”

 

“Any suggestion?” I rubbed my feet to his thigh and he squirmed at that.

 

“Stop it.” He glared at me but continued, “How about driving date?”

 

“What is that?”

 

“We’ll drive to a random place, out of town and just get lost. If there’s something interesting, we’ll stop by. If we’re hungry, we’ll find someplace to eat.” He suggested happily.

 

“You just invented that kind of date, right?”

 

He chuckled, “Maybe. What do you think?”

 

“No one else to worry of. Don’t need to act out. Just the two of us together?” I counted with my fingers, “Call!”

 

“Good. I’ll drive!”

 

“Next Sunday?”

 

“Perfect.” He smiled before lowered his head again to his food.

 

“Hyesung-ah? Should I bring some clothes? You know, in case we’ll spend the night?” I asked cheekily while once again, was rubbing my feet at his thigh.

 

“No!” But his face already red.

 

__________________________________________