Chapter 25

Red

 

 

“I missed you so much.” I finally said those words. He smiled and timidly placed his hand on mine. He needed to stretch his hand because each of us sat at the far end of the bench. His hand was cold it startled me, but a second after, some familiar warmth crept in my body from my skin that he was touching. It was awkward silence after that and strangely, I began to lose all of my senses.

 

I could no longer feel the cold air hitting my face, or the creepy feeling of this quiet forest, or the fact that I stopped breathing since our skin touched. It was just the two of us and the only thing I felt was his trembling hand on top of my hand. He squeezed my fingers hesitantly when he whispered, “I missed you too.”

 

“I’m not dreaming, right?” Because if this was reality, why I feel so warm sitting outside in this winter afternoon?

 

“Maybe it’s me who’s dreaming.” His voice sounded like a song to me.

 

“Then let’s stay in whoever dream it is.” I shifted closer to him and I stopped when our jacket barely met. I was afraid if I touched him, he would disappear like a popped bubble.

 

We stayed quiet with him gazed at our intertwined fingers and I watched his slimmed face. Did he lose his weight? There were so many things I wanted to say, but I could not decide which I had to say first. Small electricity spattered all over my body when I realized that we still held hands. He kept looking at our hands and his face was in awe. I believe I was in a worse gawked expression right now. None of us could believe what was happening right now.

 

“How long you’ve been stood there?”

 

“Long enough.” Then he lowered his head and hid his face under his cap. “You cried.” It wasn’t a question. It was more of a statement.

 

“I thought I lost you.” I said honestly.

 

He sighed lowly. “I’m a little worried that I killed something inside of me when I let you go.” He murmured.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Since I left your apartment, I could feel nothing. I was numb but at the same time, I was in the constant growing pain. I couldn’t look at a thing without realizing that everything was not the same if there weren’t you.” He murmured with his head still lowered. “I’m sorry, Eric. I was wrong.” He said slowly when he looked up at me.

 

“Then let’s fix it, Hyesung-ah. We could fix it.” Honestly, I didn’t know how to fix this whole situation. But I really wanted to fix us. We loved each other. We needed to be together.

 

“Eric-ah, why do you love me?” Somehow his face showed a frightened expression when he asked that.

 

I thought about it carefully before I answered. “If you press me to say why I love you, I can say no more than because you are you, and I am I.” Don’t you get it, Hyesung-ah? That even the simple lack of you is more to me than others' presence.

 

He made a vague movement as if he was about to lean forward and I thought he would kiss me. But he stopped his motion as soon as he started. He bit his lip and hesitantly asked, “Should we move to someplace warmer?”

 

***

 

I half-smiled in my sleep when I recalled that memory from yesterday. That bench got its charm back. Now that wooden bench held another important memory of Hyesung and me. Of us.

 

I didn’t need to open my eyes to know that the soft snore near my ear was Hyesung’s. That a hand circled my waist was Hyesung’s. That the warmth I felt inside of me was because of Hyesung’s presence. That the scent of him tickling my nose wasn’t a dream or a dim memory. And when I opened my eyes, he would be there. Lying and sleeping soundly as I always remember.

 

I kissed his forehead that was covered with his hair. He stirred a bit and furrowed his brow. He mumbled something before I planted another kiss to his cheek.

 

“Yah! Don’t disturb me! I want to sleep more.” He wriggled away and tried to cover his head with his pillow.

 

I sat up and smiled at the scene in front of me. “But it’s almost noon, Hyesung-ah.” I tapped his playfully. But he immediately jolted and sat up with his face all red. “Sorry, did it hurt?” I automatically apologized. Did I poke his sore bottom?

 

“You’re a low loach!” He hissed. “Why can’t you let me sleep in peace? It was the first proper sleep I got in a week!”

 

“I said I’m sorry.” I pouted.

 

He glared to me and snapped. “You did me twice yesterday! Now I’m sore and tired and grumpy. So shut up!” He pushed me away and got back on his prior position. Under the blanket with a pillow covered his head.

 

“Hey, last night was your birthday present! You said I had to do my best, so I did my best! Why are you so mad now when you were so satisfied last night?” Sometimes I didn’t know why I kept answering his angry fits when I knew it was best to shut up.

 

“Shut up! Shut up! Shut up! And go away!” He shouted desperately under the pillow.

 

“Should I give you a massage?” I touched his feet.

 

“Don’t” He flicked his feet from my touch. “Now shut up and let me sleep some more!” His shout was muffled under the pillow.

 

I blinked. For a moment, I forgot at the fact that he was always on a bad mood in the morning. Maybe I had to stop bothering him now.

 

“Okay, sleep some more Hyesung-ah.” I grinned and touched his shoulder. He only tightened his blanket as a respond. I got down the bed and walked to the bathroom. When I was inside, I looked at my reflection and suddenly felt very happy. Just yesterday, every time I saw at my own reflection, it would remind me of my solitude. But now – even though Hyesung’s reflection wasn’t there – when I saw a grinning man on the mirror that looked exactly like me, I knew I wouldn’t grow old alone. He might’ve been still asleep and oblivious of the fact that I’m mentally dancing while looking at my own reflection. But that lazy bastard would definitely being there until I was old and eventually died.

 

After I took my backpack in my own room and got back to Hyesung’s room again, I found Hyesung still snuggled under the blanket. It was past noon and I started to feel hungry. But I didn’t want to eat alone. So I walked around the room and something caught my attention. I didn’t know that he kept it all this time. I thought he threw that away.

 

On one night, I ever ridiculed his ugly handwriting and then happily scribbled on a sheet of his used paper works just to make my point. I only scribbled of his name and my name on it, and I drew some cartoons of him just to show off my ability. And I wrote countless ‘Hyesung I love you’ just to make him annoyed. He was furious at that time. Throwing murder threats endlessly when he told me stop. Did he keep this paper ever since? The paper was crumpled and placed on the bed side. I didn’t notice it before because it was sitting innocently beside his wallet.  

 

I glanced at the bundle of blanket on the bed and smile. Now I imagined he looked at the paper and remembering me. Just like I stared at our photos on my phone every night. How similar the way we passed through our days.

 

I put the paper back to the bed side table before jumped onto the bed. I hugged him close and even though I knew that he was very startled because of that, he let me. I couldn’t see him since he was still hidden under the blanket, but I knew that I love the every cell of his being. I didn’t need his apology or remorse or anything. All I need is Hyesung and he was in my embrace.

 

“Thank you for coming back to me, Hyesung-ah.” I mumbled. Because since this very second, my life began again.

 

***

 

“What if Minwoo kills me?” Hyesung asked nervously when we waited for the elevator. He already asked the same question again and again since we left the resort. He even called me from time to time when we were driving our respective car to Minwoo’s apartment just to ask the same question. But I need to talk to Minwoo and get my belonging before went home to my own apartment. So I guess whatever happens next, we had to bear it. Hyesung swayed nervously as the elevator seemed need ages to come.

 

“Minwoo would definitely kill me.” Hyesung sighed. The elevator door suddenly was opened and Hyesung almost jumped in surprise.

 

“Relax.” I held his elbow and dragged him to enter the elevator. He pouted and exhaled deeply after that.

 

Honestly, I couldn’t predict Minwoo’s reaction. Well, I hoped he would be thrilled to see Hyesung and I were together again. And even though I didn’t show it, I still felt anxious anyway. We arrived at his floor and when we stepped outside, I felt my heart beating faster in nervousness. I decided to ring because I couldn’t bring myself to enter his home just like that. Hyesung frowned questioningly when I pressed the bell but said nothing.

 

I heard someone hurriedly ran to the door and he immediately opened the door in front of us. Minwoo’s eyes widened – as much as his super small eyes could manage – when he saw us. He looked at me then to Hyesung then back to me again. It looked like he was watching a tennis match. I was about to say something when suddenly Minwoo frowned deeply.

 

Oh no, was he upset?

 

“Why the two of you couldn’t make up any sooner?” He hissed viciously. “So you could save me from any worry.” He continued with the same vicious tone. “Get in.” He took a step back and let us enters.

 

When we got inside, Hyesung and I stood awkwardly and waited for him to close the door. Minwoo sighed slowly then crossed his hand on his chest. But just like magic, his expression suddenly changed. He lifted his brow and curled his lips into a teasing smile.

 

“So, tell me everything!” He said with wide grin that made his eyes disappeared into thin line.

 

Hyesung opened his mouth in disbelief of Minwoo’s sudden change of mood. Minwoo then hurriedly grabbed our wrist on his both hands and dragged us to his living room. He had us to sit on the couch before he sat in front of us.

 

“Tell me how this fool found you?” Minwoo asked with expectant eyes. His ahjumma personality strikes again.

 

“We met coincidentally.” Hyesung stuttered. I guess he prepared himself for a punch or something like that from Minwoo. So he was lost of what to say when Minwoo asked him in delight like this. Hyesung blinked frequently as if he couldn’t believe his eyes.

 

“Eeii.. Coincidentally, my .” Minwoo shook his head in displeased. He then shifted his gaze on me.

 

“It’s true. I didn’t know that he went to the same resort.” I automatically said. “We met there was pure of luck.” How could I explain that?

 

Minwoo looked at me then to Hyesung then to me again before smiled. “Both of you are too cute.” He finally said even though I didn’t understand why he thought that we were cute. I noticed that Hyesung frowned too. So I guess he couldn’t understand Minwoo’s saying too.

 

Minwoo leaned back to the couch in a conceited way before nonchalantly asked, “Should we call Junjin to come now?”

 

“Why?” Hyesung and I said in unison.

 

“Why do you think Junjin came to meet you that day?” Minwoo was half-smiling when he asked me. His eyes were full of happy gleam. “He came to tell you that Hyesung left somewhere and so you could go find him.”

 

“But Junjin didn’t know where I went.” Hyesung blurted out.

 

“He didn’t, but somehow we – Junjin and I – believed that Eric would be able to find you.” Minwoo shrugged his shoulders. “And he did.” Again, his eyes were disappeared into thin line when he smiled.

 

Hyesung gawked, but I jumped to hug Minwoo. Oh my Minwoo.. My beloved fairy godmothers..

 

“Let. Me. Go.” Minwoo tried to free himself from me. But I tightened my hug instead. Minwoo was busy pushed my head away when I heard Hyesung’s chuckles. And I turned to see him. He looked at Minwoo and said, “Thank you, Minwoo-ya” in the middle of his chuckles. Minwoo chuckled with him and then let me hug him with not much protest after that.

 

Junjin came immediately after received a call from Minwoo. He hurriedly ran towards Hyesung and hugged him the first second he saw his hyung.

 

“Can’t breathe, Jin-ah.” Hyesung mumbled when Junjin crushed him in his embrace.

 

“I’m so glad to see you smile again, Hyung.” Jinnie said. And just I expected, his eyes began to wet. Sometimes I thought that despite his manly appearance, Junjin was unexpectedly a softy. Especially to his hyung. Junjin then loosened his hug when Hyesung tapped his back impatiently because he really couldn’t breathe. Junjin sniffed once before turned to me and grinned.

 

“Thanks, Eric Hyung.” He said to me. But I really didn’t deserve it. The fact that I found Hyesung on that forest was because of pure luck. But no matter how I told Minwoo and Junjin about it, they only shrugged it off. When four of us were sitting in Minwoo’s couch, they said that I have strange ability to find Hyesung wherever he was. It doesn’t matter if I didn’t have a single clue of his whereabouts. They believe that I would find a way.

 

“You know, just like a whale when it needs to find its mate. Both of you could have been emitted some sonar signal to locate each other so you were able to – you know – to mate.” Minwoo giggled annoyingly after he said that.

 

“Shut up!” I hissed when I saw Hyesung blushed in embarrassment. He quickly put down his can of beer to the table and started to fix his hair in nervousness.

 

“So what’s your plan now, Hyung?” Junjin asked Hyesung whom sitting beside him.

 

“For now, civilly talk to my parents again.” Hyesung answered with sheepish expression on his face.

 

“And I know it doesn’t sound like a plan. That’s why we’re here to ask for your help.” I said carefully.

 

“If it isn’t bother you two, of course.” Hyesung quickly added. Minwoo and Junjin snorted right away.

 

“Did we ever complain when you bother us?” Minwoo asked and shook his head in disbelief. “Have a talk again with your parents is a good plan. And Junjin can help you on that.” He continued.

 

“That’s right, Hyung. We can come every day and have a dinner with them and take them to karaoke. And other stuff.” Junjin chirped enthusiastically. “I’ll help you.”

 

“You think it would work?” Hyesung asked rather hesitant.

 

“It’s worth a shot.” Junjin shrugged his shoulders.

 

“And Eric should come too.” Minwoo spoke directly to Hyesung. I nodded frantically, I couldn’t have been more agreeing on Minwoo’s thinking. “It might be uncomfortable and awkward at first, but is it a basic manner to greet your parents properly?”

 

“I vote for that!” I didn’t realize that I shouted. Then I grinned sheepishly when Hyesung glared at me.

 

“Yeah Hyung, let’s do that.” Junjin nodded. Then he tapped Hyesung’s knee to encourage him.

 

“Okay, let’s do that.” Hyesung finally said. “But you have to promise me to behave and please don’t say anything stupid, Eric.”

 

____________________________________

 

A/N

Okay , it's nothing to do with the story.. But today is August 17th.. It's Independence Day of my beautiful beloved country!!!

Congrats to all ShinChang Indonesia... ^^

Merdeka!!!