XXIII

Angels and Demons

 



Donghae jumped up from his seat. He held onto Jessica’s hand so tightly that she let out a painful gasp, “You’re hurting my hand.” She was just as shocked with the whole situation. The large ancient tree shook violently and burst into flames in front of their eyes. They were watching the situation unfold from the magical portal, but they were unable to see into the underground cave. Some type of power had prevented them from doing so.

Jessica used her free hand to gently Donghae’s arm, hoping that the small gesture would calm him down. He turned and looked at her, tears b in his eyes, “I’m ... I’m going.” 

She gnawed on her lips and nodded, “Me too.” 

They made their way to the edge of Heaven. The both of them unfurled their wings. They entwined their hands together and were ready to descend down to earth when a voice stopped them. A tall, elegant and enchanting figure stood behind them. Engulfed in a multitude of lights, his face was covered, but they knew who he was. “Almighty,” Donghae lowered down to his knees and placed his free hand over his chest, Jessica followed suit.

“I know you are worried about Aurora, Michael. However, I have another task for you,” he waved his hand, an indication for them to stand up. “I need you to retrieve Satanael or what remains of him. Lucifer is now the Superior Demon and will be the one to punish Satanael. Take him to Lucifer and return to me as soon as you are finished.” Donghae stared back at him. He wanted to find Amber not Satan. Donghae opened his mouth to protest but the Almighty lifted his hand to stop him. “This is an order, now!” Donghae nodded, he let go of Jessica’s hand and dived headfirst toward earth. 

Jessica watched as Donghae vanished into the dark clouds beneath them. The Almighty had walked over to her, “I have a task for you too.” She turned back toward him, placed a hand over her chest and bowed. “Find all the Nephilim that are in that underground cave. Take them to Vesta. She will take care of their memories ...” 

“What about their punishment?” 

“Their ancient power is dwindling. I think that is punishment enough for them. They were just a pawn in Satanael’s little rebellion. Soon, they will be more human than angel,” He turned and walked towards the large doors that lead out of the magical portal room. “I have sent the other angels down to earth to help out with the cleanup. Oh, and bring me that Nephilim that gave his life’s power to Aurora.” 

Jessica gnawed at her lips, “What about Minho, I mean Uriel? Is he...?”

“I don’t feel his presence anymore,” the Almighty answered. “You know what needs to be done, Gabrielle.” His voice still echoed in Jessica’s head, as she gracefully descended to earth. 

[∞][∞][∞]


Sulli had her wings around Luna, Jonghyun and the baby - Key, to protect them from the blast. Luna was weak from using her power on Key and Jonghyun was still in shock at what happened to him that they were not prepared when they saw the tree explode into flames in front of them. Sulli felt the heat on her back, but did not feel the ground shaking underneath her anymore. She retracted her wings and turned around to see that the large ancient tree is burning bright orange and the heat from it is had singed some of her hair. 

She turned back towards Luna and Jonghyun, and pushed them further away from the tree. Luna stared at the tree as tears rolled down her face, “Amber ...” She muttered before collapsing. Sulli caught her before she hit the ground. 

Sulli felt the air shift around her and looked up. Two pairs of white wings descended upon them. The angels landed next to her. Both of them were males, one tall and slender, and the other was tall and muscular. 

The muscular one walked over toward Sulli. He smiled as he bent down to take Luna into his arms, “I’ll take her. Are you okay?” Sulli nodded. “The Almighty ordered that every one of you must return to heaven.” 

“What about Amber?”

His facial expression changed to a sadden one, “I want to find Aurora too, but ...”

“I understand,” Sulli started to walk toward the burning tree, but the tall slender angel grabbed her wrist and pulled her back. She struggled, tried to wrench free from his hold, but to no avail. 

He pulled her in and held her tight against his chest, “The others will find her. You’re tired little one and you must return to heaven.” He touched her on forehead and she felt her eyelids become heavy. The slender angel snapped his fingers and another angel appeared. He placed Sulli in that angel’s arms “Take them back and return as soon as possible to help us with the cleanup.” 

The muscular angel and the other one flew off into the night sky. The slender one then turned his attention to Jonghyun and the infant, Key, “Demon, hand me the infant. I must take him to his human parents.” Jonghyun looked down at the infant in his arms and stepped away from the angel. “You can’t take him with you, Demon. This is his punishment.”

“I can raise him myself,” Jonghyun said.

“Can you?”

Jonghyun looked down at the baby. He knew that he cannot but he did not want to let his friend go, “I ...”

The slender angel reached out for the baby and Jonghyun reluctant gave Key to him, “He will be taken care of. Being human is not all that bad. He will have a great environment to grow up in, a great family, great childhood, friends, girlfriends, marriage, have children of his own and die; like all humans.” He wrapped the baby in a white silk cloth and took to the sky.

Jonghyun fell down onto his knees as he mourned for his friend. He felt a hand on his shoulder and looked up. Onew smiled down at him – a sad smile, “Time for us to go as well.” Onew helped him up to his feet. “Krystal and Victoria have returned to heaven and Taemin had gone ahead of us to hell. It is time for us to leave. The rest are being taken care of by the other angels.” Jonghyun nodded and the two of them vanished. 

[∞][∞][∞]


Jessica appeared inside the cave. While the explosion had changed the large tree into a burning inferno, inside, the flames were contained within the heart of the underground chamber. Three unconscious bodies laid at the edge of the room. A bright white flame barrier protected them, “You Halflings are lucky that Amber’s flame protected you.” She kneeled down next to them and wrapped her large wings around them. She muttered some unknown words under her breath and once she retracted her wings, Kevin, Hara and Heechul’s body were gone. 

She stood up and tried to look inside the flame that was at the heart of chamber, but it was too bright and she could not see anything. She turned towards the only entrance to the chamber and started toward it. On the ground next to the entrance the ground was charred by the fire from the explosion in a shape of a body, “That must have been Satan. Donghae already got him.” 

She started down the dark passage of the underground tunnel, running her hand along the wall, as she searched for Joon. She felt his presence, weak at first, but as she continued, it became stronger. Then she saw it a faint blue light. She walked into the room where the light emitted from and there on the ground was Joon. His chest rose and fell slowly. She kneeled down beside him and took him into her arms, “Time for you to be reborn, Halfling.” 

[∞][∞][∞]


Donghae threw Satan’s body at Lucifer’s feet, “Make sure that he gets the punishment that he deserves.” He turned and vanished without a second look.

Lucifer looked down at Satan. He snapped his fingers and two minions appeared, “Take him to the black dungeon.” They nodded and dragged Satan off into the deepest depth of hell. “You tried to kill my precious daughter. Dying would be an easy way out for you. You will suffer for what you have done!” He bellowed in rage.

[∞][∞][∞]


“Please, let go of me,” he begged. She shook her head violently, as her hold on him tighten. “You have to let me go, Amber.” 

They were stuck within the flame in the heart of the chamber. Amber had used all her strength to release herself from the barrier that Minho had around her. She was not going to let him die. She used what little of her power she had left to wrap her arms and wings around Minho, as he burst into flames. The flames that she had placed around Heechul, Kevin and Hara had protected them from the flame, but Satan was caught in the explosion which scourged him. That was all she saw before the flame engulfed them within it.

Minho cannot control his power as he reverted into his angel form. The demon and angel were fighting within him and it is killing him from the inside out, “You promised.” She whispered in his ears, as hot tears ran down her face. 

He was crying as well. His eyes were full of pain, but she would rather die along with him than to lose him again. He leant in and planted his warm lips on hers. It was a long passionate kiss, sweet and salty from the tears and for a moment, she was lost in it. That was when he pried her arms from his body, “I’m sorry that I will not be able to keep that promise.” She had been holding onto him with her power trying to stop him from destroying himself. It had taken every bit of strength away from her. Therefore, it was easy for him to push her away. “I love you, Amber. I will always be with you in spirit.” 

She tried to hold onto him, but she was weak and he easily pushed her out of the hot flame into the cold chamber underground. She cried, yelled and screamed. With a loud bang and another burst of bright light, the flame at the heart of the chamber was gone and so was Minho. Amber clenched her fists and pounded at the ground as she cried. 

Donghae appeared next to her then. He embraced her as she cried and cried. It was like déjà vu.

======


Thank you for following this story for so long. I started out as such a horrible writer, but with my mate, Arlen's help and all of you, my readers, I became a better writer. 

One more chapter of this fantasy and it will come to an end. Please look forward to my new fantasy fan-fic~♥