XV

Angels and Demons

 

 

『XV』



『No matter how much you think about the future.
No one can see the truth.
A void? Something is stuck in my heart.

I kept repeating my mistakes.

Just one-step at a time, don’t let go of my hand.
The days we spent together still live. 

Even if we are torn apart til we're ragged. 
That time, that place; this bond won't disappear 

Making sure we don't lose it in the flow of time 
Our true feelings pass and bump against each other 
My heart is steeped in love for her 
That we met is the miracle I longed for 

The pain of not even being able to stand still 
We're connected by the light we saw inside 
It's okay if you lied; it's okay if you cry 
That time, that place, this bond won't disappear 

Just one step at a time; don't let go of my hand 
The days we spent together still live 
Even if we're torn apart til we're ragged 
That time, that place, this bond won't disappear

– Kizuna (Bond) Kamenashi Kazuya』

 






A tall slender figure stood in a dark cave, a pit, underground. In front of the figure was a stone door with ancient Latin carving around it. The figure placed its hand on the stone door and brushed over the carving, “We found the gate, but there’s a small problem.”

Another figure walked up to the one closest to the gate, “What is it, Siwon?”

“Yuri, bring the torch closer so I can see the carvings better,” Siwon said as he squinted his eyes; trying to decipher the ancient carvings.

Yuri walked closer and shone the torch on the wall, “What does it say?”

“Hmm …” Siwon muttered. “From what I can decipher; only the blood of a child of heaven and hell, of the heaven angel and the fallen can set the Grigoris free.”

Yuri frowned, “Heechul-nim is not going to like this. How are we going to find a child of heaven and hell? I mean, look at our ancestor. They are stuck behind that wall because they fell in love with humans and produce us, the Nephilims. I don’t think the almighty would allow a union between the heavenly angel and the fallen angel.”

Siwon turned away from the walled gate and placed his hand on Yuri’s shoulder, “Let’s go. We have to let Heechul knows that we found the gate and the problem we ran into. I think he would be able to figure this out, somehow.”

[-][-][-]




“What are you looking at?” Taemin walked up at sat down next to Sulli. She ignored him and moved a few inches away from him. He stared at her face and followed her gaze, “Why are you looking at him?”

“It’s none of your business,” she replied coldly.

“Isn’t that the guy that hurt Amber this morning?” Taemin asked, unaffected by Sulli’s coldness toward him.

Sulli nodded.

“Why are you interested in him?” he turned and looked her.

“Look carefully at him,” finally she turned and looked at Taemin. “Study him carefully, and then tell me if you feel or find anything different about him.”

Taemin examined the boy. The boy had short black hair, feminine yet masculine features, “What’s his name?”

“Kevin,” Sulli replied. “So did you notice it?”

“I feel something different about him. A different kind of aura – different from most humans, but I’m in my human form and that limits my demon abilities,” he whispered as he moved closer to her. His shoulder accidently brushed against hers, which caused him to feel like a surged of electricity went through his body.

Sulli turned to glare and hiss at him, “Don’t … ever touch me again. It felt like you were burning my skin from the inside out. Remember, everything you touch dies – I don’t want to be one of those things.”

Taemin moved away from her. He smirked, but his eyes said something else; pain was the story in those beautiful eyes of his, “Sorry, it was an accident. I didn’t mean to touch you.”

“I know it was an accident,” she coldly replied. “I just wanted to warn you to be careful in the future. It’s not like you can kill me. It’s just that it doesn’t feel good when a demon touches me.”

“Sulli!” the team captain cried over to where they were sitting. “You’re up next, so come down here.”

“I’ll be right there!” she cried back at the team captain. She got up at turned back to face Taemin. “I need your help. Can you watch Kevin for me? I have a bad feeling about him, but I, myself have the same problem as you. I can’t use my abilities to its fullest when I am in my human form.”

“Sure, I’ll watch him,” Taemin got up and followed Sulli as she walked back toward their teammates. He leaned in and whispered in her ear. “Not because you asked me to, but because I have a bad feeling about him as well. I’ll do my best. If he is different from the normal humans he might figure out that we are not normal as well. We have to be careful, all of us.”

[-][-][-]




“Hey!” Luna stepped in front of Jonghyun. “That’s not how you’re supposed to run. If you do it like that you wouldn’t get anywhere. Krystal, show him.”

“Why do I have to do that?” Krystal stood between the two with her arms crossed around her chest.

Luna stepped up to her, smiled and pushed her closer to Jonghyun, “Because you’re better at running than I am.”

Krystal let out a loud sighed and walked over to Jonghyun, “Fine, you better listen to me de … err Jonghyun.”

She was about to call him demon but noticed where she was and corrected herself. Other students were practicing all around them. Krystal looked at all of them as she wished that she was back home, back in heaven.

Then Krystal noticed something out of the corner of her eyes and turned, but she was too late. A big muscular student ran at full speed toward the three of them. Jonghyun saw him at the last minute and tried to push Luna and Krystal out of harm’s way but it was too late. The muscular student ran right into Jonghyun, which caused him to fall backward – like a domino effect – onto Krystal and Krystal onto Luna. Luna being the smallest tried to brace their fall with her arms, which was a mistake. The sound of her bone breaking was deafening.

All the students ran toward them. Thunder who was the closest helped Jonghyun up, “Are you okay?”

“Don’t worry about me, how are the girls?” Jonghyun jumped up and looked at Krystal and Luna. Krystal must have turned around before they fell because she was face down on the ground. There was no movement coming from either of them.

Thunder bend down and lifted Krystal up in his arms and walked toward the main building, “Jonghyun, can you carry Luna and follow me to the infirmary. I think Luna might have broken her bone since she was at the bottom and we all heard the crunching sound.”

Jonghyun nodded as he lifted Luna up from the ground and followed Thunder. He examined Luna and noticed that her right arm was bended at a very weird angle. “You’ll be okay” he whispered to her.

Amber was walking to the cafeteria with Minho and Key when they saw Thunder and Jonghyun ran passed with Krystal and Luna in their arms, “What happen?!” she yelled after them. Jonghyun glanced at Amber, Minho and Key, nodded at them and kept on running.

Amber ran after them, but didn’t notice the uneven ground and tripped. She fell forward when Minho grabbed her hand and pulled her back, but he didn’t let go of her hand. He noticed the ring in a shape of a crown on her left index finger. He held her hands and stared at the ring when he finally muttered, “Aurora?”

Amber stared back at Minho, eyes widen with shock, “How … how do you ..?”But before she could finish her sentence Minho lifted his right hand. There on his right index finger was the same ring. Until now the two of them didn’t noticed their rings, the similarities between them.

“Excuse me! I hate to interrupt you two but we were in the middle of following them!” Key snapped as he stepped in between the two of them, which brought Minho and Amber back to reality. He looked at Amber and stormed off toward the infirmary. Amber took a quick glanced back at Minho before she ran past Key toward the infirmary.

[-] [-] [-]




[FLASHBACK]

“Aurora,” he ran up to her with a huge grin on his face. The always calm, quiet and mature Uriel will only be seen acting like a child around the princess of the morning star, Aurora.

“Uriel, wait I mean Minho since you are in your human form,” she smiled at him as she put her fingers through her long hair.

He grabbed her left hand and placed a ring in a shape of crown on her index finger, “I have a mission in the human world. I’m leaving today and I will be gone for awhile, therefore I forged these rings.” He showed her his right index finger, which had the same crown shape ring on it. “I have the same one. It’s our connection; allowing me to protect you when I’m not around.”

She moved her left index finger around, admired the ring her beloved placed on her finger. Her two toned colour eyes sparkled like the star as she stared back into Minho’s eyes. The aquamarine blue eye is always the calmest, but it doesn’t sparkle as bright as the honey-amber colour one. She gently brushed his cheek with her hand, “Thank you, and be careful.”

[-] [-] [-]




“So four down and four more to go,” Tiffany said to Heechul. “Why are half of our suspects turned out to not be one of them?”

Heechul smiled back at her, “We still have four more suspect left on the list. They are going to mess up sooner or later.”

“I hope so too,” she bit down on her bottom lip. “My father is getting worse as the day passes.”

“He’s one of the greatest Nephilim out there. Don’t worry too much,” he replied.

She awkwardly smiled back at Heechul, “One of the greatest, but he had me, the first non Nephilim of our family. I know you; I mean all the Nephilim doesn’t see me as one of them. I’m the shame of our race, I mean your race.”

That’s good that you know you place, Heechul thought as he grinned at Tiffany, “Don’t worry. You are doing a great job at redeeming yourself and your family’s honour. Also one of our little minions found the gate to the Grigori’s prison.”

“Great!” Tiffany jumped up but then quickly sat back down as she saw Heechul’s facial expression. “What is it? What’s the problem?”

Heechul sighed, “A small problem. There’s a craving above the gate to the prison. It said – Only a child of heaven and hell can set the cursed Grigoris free. We don’t know who that child is. I don’t even think that can happen. We might not be able to release them after all.”

[-][-][-]


The sports week ended with Amber’s and Minho’s team as the winner. Luna and Krystal weren’t able to participate in any of the tournament. Krystal weren’t able to use her healing power because she had used majority of it to heal Amber.

Krystal suffered a small concussion, which with a couple days of rest, she recovered. As for Luna, she had suffered a hairline fractured on her arm, with a few weeks in a cast it should heal. Jonghyun suffered small cuts here and there, but nothing major. He was able to walk out of the infirmary that day. Luna and Krystal spent two days in the infirmary before the nurse let them out of there.

Amber was by their side for those two days. She persuaded the nurse to let her stay in the infirmary with Luna and Krystal. All the angels and demons had visited them in the infirmary, apart from Minho. He had been avoiding Amber and since she is always with Luna and Krystal, he stayed away from them.

Amber and Sulli came and picked Krystal and Luna up when they were allowed to leave the infirmary.

“What’s wrong with Minho?” Krystal asked Amber when they left the infirmary. Sulli stayed behind with Luna, because the nurse had to check her arm before she can let her go.

Amber frowned at the mention of Minho’s name. She bit down on her lips and looked at her ring. She tried to remove it, but it wouldn’t come off, no matter how much she tried. She looked at Krystal and quickly looked away from her. Krystal grabbed her shoulder and the two of them stopped, “Amber, tell me. What’s wrong?”

Amber brushed her fingers through her short hair and looked down at the ground, “He … Minho … that de…“

“What is it?” Krystal gently put both hands on Amber’s cheeks and lifted her head up so that Amber would look straight at her. “Just tell me. I wouldn’t judge you or him.”

Amber let out a long sighed before she continued, “He called me by my angel name, Aurora.”

“What how does he know?!” Krystal eyes widen, shocked.

“I have no idea how,” Amber moved her face so that Krystal would let go of it. “All I know is that since then he had been avoiding me. That’s why he didn’t come to visit you guys in the infirmary. Also, my nightmares have been getting worse. I see my lost soul as Minho instead of the phantom angel figure that I always see. He has the same ring as me.” Amber showed Krystal the ring on her finger.

Krystal placed one of her hand on her forehead, “Are you telling me that the angel you lost to the demon is that demon, Minho?”

Amber nodded, “I think so but I don’t know for sure. I thought he’s dead. I don’t understand. There’s only two ways for an angel to become a demon, banishment or that angel chosen to fall.”

Amber crouched down on the floor and started to hug her knees. Just then, Minho walked up to Amber and Krystal. He looked at Krystal, his face troubled; he then looked down at Amber and gently took her hand. Amber looked up to see who it was that held her hand. It felt warm, it gave her a sense of calm and she felt for the first time in a long time, whole again.

Minho smiled sweetly at her. He pulled Amber up from the floor and hugged her tightly, “We need to talk. Can you remember me yet?”

Key, Jonghyun, Taemin and Krystal looked at Amber and Minho with shocked and confusion on their face. There was pain in Key’s eyes. Amber and Minho stood there; he hugged her tightly, as she slowly lifted her arms to hug him back.