XXI

Angels and Demons

A bloodcurdling scream resonated throughout the tunnel underneath the tree. Minho, Luna, Taemin and Jonghyun – with two floating balls of flames, which guided them – stopped, as they tried to listen for the source of the scream. Minho knew that the scream did not belong to Amber; he would recognize her voice anywhere. The scream went silent and the four of them looked at each other. Taemin had opened his mouth the say something when they heard Sulli cried, “Krystal! Get away from her, demon!”

Luna bit down on her bottoms lips. Minho looked at her. He realized that she was fighting with herself, whether she should moved on ahead towards Amber or go back and help the girls. Minho placed his hand on her shoulder, “Leave Amber to me. Go and help them.”

“But –“

“Go!” He pushed her towards the entrance to the underground tunnel. He then turned to Taemin and Jonghyun. “You guys go and help them too. You two know Key better than them. Get a move on.” He smiled at them before he ran off, one of the floating flames leading his way. 

“Minho,” Taemin cried out after him. 

Jonghyun patted the younger boy on the back and ran after Luna. Taemin, with a heavy heart slowly turned and followed Jonghyun. 



[*]{*][*]




Onew had a look of distress as he ran toward Victoria. They had been rounding up all the students into the school’s gymnasium – for their protection – when he heard the scream. “Did you hear –“

“Yes,” she turned to him with a horrified look on her face. “That scream belongs to Krystal.”

“How do you know?”

“I know my girls’ voice like the back of my hand,” she looked down at her hands, which was shaking uncontrollably. He wanted to reach for her hands and consoled her, but he knew that it was no use. Victoria maybe had been courteous during the time that they had spent together on Earth, but she had not forgiven him for following Lucifer – Amber’s dad – down to hell. 

Victoria had treated him like a little brother during the time they spent in Heaven together. He loved her like an older sister and he betrayed her. The reason he agreed to this mission, was redemption. He wanted to redeemed himself, even thought he knew that it would not returned him to where he was before. 

She turned and walked away from him, “Get back to your spot, Onew.” 

“They need help.”

“No ... they don’t and we have a job here to protect the innocent,” she said as she disappeared around the corner of the building. 

“Onew, we can help them,” Seohyun had walked up to him while he stood there looking at the empty spot where Victoria had stood.

Onew shook his head and turned toward her, “No, we need you and Kyuhyun here to help us. Are all the students here?”

Seohyun nodded, as she looked up at Kyuhyun, who stood on top of the gymnasium, “Kyu, are we good?” Kyuhyun replied with a thumb up. She smiled back up at him before she returned her gazed back on Onew. “What do you want us to do now?” 

“We will patrol the building as Victoria puts the entire student body into a deep sleep and wipes their memories,” Onew said as he walked into the gymnasium. “I’m leaving the surrounding area of the gym to you and Kyuhyun.”

Onew jumped when he felt a hand on his shoulder. He turned around to face Victoria,” Sorry, I just wanted to tell you that those humans over there can be taken away now.” She looked tired. Droplets of sweat were apparent on her forehead. 

“Are you okay?” he handed her his white handkerchief from his front pocket. “I think you need some rest.”

She accepted the handkerchief from him and shook her head, “We don’t have time. Bring in the next set of students.”He sighed but did as she asked.

[*]{*][*]




Sulli had fully transformed into an angel. The large white wings spread across her back, white aura surrounded her alabaster white skin, and a look of rage formed on her beautiful face. She glanced back at the Krystal’s limp body behind her. She noticed that Krystal chest were moving up and down and with a sigh of relieved, she turned her attention back to Key and his five doppelgangers behind him.

Key had conjured them up when they had him back up against a tree. They made a mistake; they did not think that he could do something like that, but they should have known that demons are cunning. Key’s doppelgangers had attacked them from behind. Two of them seized Krystal by the arms and threw her hard and fast against a tree. Her bloodcurdling scream still echoed in Sulli’s ears. 

With her quick reflex Sulli dodged the rest of Key’s doppelgangers and situated herself in front of Krystal. She is beyond furious. The more she looked at Key the more furious she became, but she cannot move away from the younger girl behind her until she fully recovered. 

All of a sudden, three shadowy figures launched at Key and his doppelgangers. Sparks flew as the swords hit each other and the sound of steel on steel echoed throughout the forest, “Is she okay, Sulli?”

The sound of Luna’s voice calmed her down – a little, “She’s unconscious, but she is fine.” She bellowed out at the shorter girl, who is fighting two of Key’s doppelgangers at once. Luna lunged, deflected, and dodged.

“Good!” She parried a blow from one of the doppelganger with her long one hand sword and a golden-red dagger into the other. “Stay close to her until she regains her consciousness!”

Sulli stood her ground as she watched Luna, Taemin and Jonghyun fought with Key and his doppelgangers. Luna had killed the two that she fought. Their bodies lay across the ground as they burst into flames, which left dark charred spots on the ground and the smell of burned flesh in the air. 

Taemin fought three of the doppelgangers, but he struggled against them. One of them had nicked his left arm with its sword. He stumbled backward as the other doppelgangers brought down its sword on him. Luna jumped in front of him just in a nick of time and severed the head of the doppelgangers off with her sharp sword. Taemin took this advantage and plunged his sword into the other doppelganger. Luna swirled around to the last of the doppelgangers and slashed it in half.

Key and Jonghyun stood still in the mist of the action. Two large black pair of wings swatted at each other, “Stop this nonsense, Key!” Key glared at him with a menacing grin on his face. He swinged his sword at Jonghyun, but Jonghyun blocked the blow with ease. “Why are you doing this? Why are you fighting us? You are like a brother to me, Key. Why?”

“Amber, I need her,” he threw a ball of black flames at Jonghyun, but he dodged it. “And you are standing in my way!”

With Key’s concentration on Jonghyun, Luna saw an opportunity. She slowly expanded her wings and launched into the sky. Taemin - who was still weak from the earlier situation with Heechul - retreated to Sulli’s side, “Where did she go?”

“You’ll see,” she glanced sideway at him. “Can you still fly?”

“I’m weak, but yeah. Why?” 

Sulli nodded her head at Krystal’s body on the ground, “Take her to the gym. Victoria and Onew will be able to help the two of you there.”

“I can still fight,” Taemin protested, but a fits of coughs escaped his month.

Sulli smirked at him. “Spare your strength, Taemin. How things are right now, I cannot even help Luna and Jonghyun out. Take her! The two of you need to be look at by Victoria.” 

“But ...”

“Just go, now!”

Taemin looked at Jonghyun at Key who were still toying with each other, “Fine ... about Key, since he is so blinded by his lust over Amber.” He knew that he had lost his friend, his brother, to the blinding obsession he had for Amber. “I’ll ... help you.”

Sulli raised an eyebrow, “What kind of help?”

Taemin walked over to Krystal’s and gently placed his arms under her, scooped her into his arms and stood up, “His weakness ... “ Taemin looked away as a drop of tear rolled down his cheek and a lumped had formed in his throat. “The wings ... are his weakness.” Taemin looked back at Key, jumped into the air, flapped his large dark wings and vanished into the night clouds. 

With Krystal safely in Taemin’s arms, Sulli ran to Jonghyun’s side. She looked up into the sky and sent her thoughts to Luna. Aim for his wings. The wings are his weakness.

Key looked at Sulli, as she positioned herself between Jonghyun and him. He tried to move toward them, but for some unknown reason he was unable to move his body. Sulli wrapped her wings around herself and Jonghyun. The sound of thunder echoed throughout the forest. Jonghyun looked at Sulli’s face and cringed when he saw the flashed of white light hit the ground behind her.

Once the light disappeared, Sulli pulled her wings away from Jonghyun and stepped away from him. They turned back toward Key. What they saw was Luna standing over Key’s body. Dark red blood – almost black – dripped from the pair of black wings that she held in her hands. She looked down at Key on the ground. His chest moved up and down slowly as he breathed.

Jonghyun, after the shock, ran to Key’s side and kneeled beside his body, “Is he - “

“No, he’s not dead,” the wings in Luna’s hands light into flames. Luna let them fall to the ground as it burned. 

Jonghyun looked up at Luna, as he knelt beside Key’s body, “Then what did you do to him.”

“She used the almighty’s power to wipe away his existence as a demon,” Sulli walked over to Luna, reached for her hands and started to wipe the blood away from her hands. “Fortunately it doesn’t kill him, but it strips him of his demon’s power and any recollection of his previous life.”

Jonghyun cradled Key in his arms as he cried, “Would he remember Onew, Minho, Taemin and me?”
Luna started to cry with Jonghyun, “No.”

Sulli wrapped her arm around the shoulder of the older girl, “He’s a human now. When he recovers from this he wouldn’t even remember Amber.” 

“What ... what will happen to him?” Jonghyun looked up at the two angels. 

Luna looked away from him. She felt awful for what she had to do. She knew that she had to do it, but she felt his pain and the angel heart in her grieve for his lost. Sulli sensed her grievance; therefore she squeezed her arm tighter around her shoulders. Sulli looked down at Jonghyun and the human Key, “There’s a human family for him. He would become their child. Memories would be created for him and the family that he would be with. He would be happy – as happy, as a human can be. He will marry if he chooses to, have children of his own, grow old and die like any other human.” Jonghyun looked up at Sulli with his tears stained face. “Jonghyun, this is his punishment. We can’t change it.” 

Sulli pulled Luna away from Jonghyun and Key, as a ball of white light engulfed Key’s body. Jonghyun never let go of him and once the light was gone; Jonghyun looked down in his arms at a wailing baby.

=======

The story is almost at an end. I will try to update the other chapter as soon as possible. The reason being is because I want to start another fic, and this is the reason why. I can't get over the way he looked at her.

XpTwH.gif

Please comment~♥