Piano Contest

The Unforgivable Couple: Forbidden Love

 

Chapter 12: Piano Contest

 

Today was the day of the piano contest, which came only once a year. I was nervous in my dress when my brother found me and came over.

"Wow, so this what it means when people say fine feathers make fine birds."

"Hehe, has your opinion of me changed a little?"

"Well, no matter how much you dress up, your scores won't get any better."

"A...araso..."

 

"Do you think the judges will be partial to you just because you were accepted by the judges as appa's representative?"

"Aniyo!"

Lee Jun Sung himself was the sponsor of this concert. Though appa denies it...There's a story to how he decided to put on this concert for me, since I played piano since I was very young.

 

"Don't you get into the rankings every year? That's because of appa's scores. right?"

"The details for the s...scores aren't revealed to the participants, but appa wouldn't do something unfair!"

"Ne, appa is a fair person. He wouldn't treat anybody differently because they were a relative, but he might think your piano sounds better unconsciously, you know?"

"T...that might be true..." After I responded to my brother's words with a low-spirited answer.

 

"Oh, so the two of two of you came as well!" At the same as she called out to us from the lobby, Hyuna walked towards us.

"Hyuna ah...Oh yeah, you also play piano..."


 

"So Hyun ah, that dress looks wonderful on you."

"Kam...kamsahabnida, Hyuna-ssi. You look beautiful today as well." Hyuna just dressed up a bit more than usual. Even so, she looked incredible.

"Gomawo. Though actually, I was thinking that I should have worn something a little more spectacular."

"You're already shining enough."

 

"Byung Hun oppa, please listen to my piano then, as it has been a long time."

"Ne...Well, I'm going to go greet the others, so I'm off."

"Ah..."

My brother headed for the waiting room without even showing Hyuna a smile.

 

"O...oppa seems like he is busy with something...Um...Let's hwaiting for today."

"Ne, let's. Let's both hwaiting." Hyuna held out her right hand all of a sudden, smiling. I shool that right hand and smiled back at Hyuna.

 

The concert was going smoothly. Next, it was Hyuna's performance. Hyuna elegantly bowed while smiling. The audience appeared to be absolutely charmed just by that.

*Hyuna-ssi is beautiful whatever she does, isn't she...?* Hyuna was playing 'La Campanella' in full. She was playing this very diffcult song passionately and showily.

*Daebak! So Hyuna-ssi was this skilled...* Both the audience and the judges were being captivated by that performance. I was also half-dumbfounded as I listened. 

 

However, I felt a slight pain in my hand so I looked down.

*Eh...The base of my little finger is turning red. I wonder if I was bitten by a bug...* 

 

At that time, there was applause strong enough that it felt like the whole hall was shaking, so I looked back to the stage. There, basking in the applause with a smile across her whole face, was Hyuna.

*The loudest applause since the start of the concert...I can't lose!*

 

A few other people performed afterwards, and then it was finally my turn. However, the pain that I felt in my right hand's little finger had become worse.

*What is this..? My little finger hurts to the point, it can't move properly...*


 

"So Hyun ah, is something wrong?"

"Eh, a...aniyo..."

"You're the most likely nervous. Gwaenchana, once your performance starts, that nervousness will go away."

"Ah, ne..." 

I was sent off by Hyuna and went on stage. When I looked over at my brother, I saw that he was smiling a little.

 

*If I play badly, it'll be embarrassing for appa...I have to get through this somehow...* I boldly decided to change the song I was going to perform. The piece I started playing at once was 'Chaconne'.

*It's not really my forte, but I'll play this song!* Obviously, the judges and the audience knew that the song was different from the one on the program, so they were a bit noisy. However, I had to choose this song in case I suddenly couldn't move my right hand. 

 

Then...

*I...I can't. My right hand won't move at all...* Finally, my right hand wasn't doing what I wanted to. Maybe because they noticed that something was strange about me, but the audience was getting noisy again.

*As I thought, I couldn't do it...* When I glanced over to the judges' seats, I met eyes with my brother, who looked suspicious.

*Oppa is noticed that something is strange too...Eh?* When I looked over from the judges' seats to the stage wings, I saw Hyuna who was smiling slightly. At that time, a suspicion started curling up inside me.

*Could it be...that this pain has something to do with when I shook hands with Hyuna-ssi...?* Up until now, Hyuna had never requested a handshake from me. When I think about it now, it was strange for Hyuna to request one.

*That's...but there's nothing I can do about that even if I think about it now!*


 

Collecting myself, I rested my right hand on my knee, and started performing only with my left hand. The audience was making a commotion. However, that calmed down quickly too.

*I'm glad...Somehow, it seems like I'll be able to finish without being defaulted.* In the end, I finished performing the song without using my right hand. There was warm applause from the audience and my brother's expression was also gentle.

 

The concert was finished, and after changing, I stood in the lobby by myself.

*Ha...So in the end, I'm in the last place...* The victory went to Hyuna. I changed the song right before I played. I also got points deducted for the strange points in the middle of the performance, so I ended up in last place. 

 

I hung my head as cooled my right hand with ice. Then, I heard the click-clack of heels.

"So Hyun ah, that was unfortunate..."

"Hyuna-ssi, congratulations on your victory."

"You seemed a bit unwell...Oh dear! What happened to your right hand?" Hyuna looked at my right hand with exaggerated surprise.

"It seems like I was stung by something."

"Then, is this the reason you changed your performance piece?"

"Er, well..."

"Heavens...Even though you were performing so well until then..."

"Ani, it was wonderful to the end."

"Ah, oppa."

"Byung Hun oppa...Certainly, it was wonderful how she didn't give up until the end, but a performance with just the left hand is..."

"So Hyun ah, you were right to pick 'Chaconne'."

"Eh? Oppa, you know it?"

"Ne, that much anyway."

"Chaconne...? Ah..." When Hyuna heard the name of the song I played only with my left hand, she made a sound like she had remembered something.


 

"You knew your right hand wasn't doing well, so you immediately changed the song to Chaconne. That way, if your right hand suddenly couldn't move...You'd be able to switch to 'Chaconne for the left hand' and perform just with your left hand, right?"

"Ne..."

"'Chaconne for the left hand'..."

"If you played the song you meant to you would have to stop in the middle and probably would have defaulted. Even if you were in last place, your performance reached the hearts of the audience. You played well."

"Ne...Gomawo..." Even though my brother said he didn't really understand piano, he understood my method completely. On top of that, he even complimented me, which made me happier than anything.

 

"Hyuna ah...Congratulations on your victory. It was a wonderfully 'La Campanella"."

"Go...gomawo, oppa! I played that just for you, oppa..."

"It was a showy and fanatical performance that seemed like it was trying to violently stir up emotions. Just like you."

"U...um..."

"Just...the sort of song I want to hear at home is a more quiet one. For example, a song that can be played just with the left hand really lets you calm down."

"Eh..."

"So Hyun ah, let's go home."

"Ne..."

While my brother worried over my right hand, we walked towards the entrance. I didn't turn around, but I could feel Hyuna's gaze straight on my back like a dagger.


 

Preview

*Eh? Where did I put my phone?* When I was looking through my bag, a car suddenly stopped beside me.

"Eh...? Mmph?"

"Yah! I said, don't move! Hehehe, stay quiet." 

Who was this? And why did they do such a thing...?


Author's notes

New chappie is up!! :) it's short I think... :( Up soon!! :D